The decline of Whataburger

4,773 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BUAL
BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
30 minutes for a burger is absurd. Burgers also been getting smaller and quality just isn't the same as it was years ago.

What's your take.
Big12Bear
BylrFan said:

30 minutes for a burger is absurd. Burgers also been getting smaller and quality just isn't the same as it was years ago.

What's your take.
Chicago parent group as of 2019. 'Nuff said.
BUDOS
I have eaten about 4 from one in Republic Missouri and, in my opinion, although they are still better than other burger chains, they are not as good as years ago.
Yogi
I miss Whataburger.

I've had to adjust my daily diet because I'm getting older and the doctor is upset at me because I am already in rough shape as it is.

But my good doctor also said anything is okay in moderation, so maybe I will try Whataburger again after a couple years' hiatus.

Is there still junior, or us that now a slider thanks to Bidenomics?
drahthaar
Big12Bear said:

BylrFan said:

What's your take.
Chicago parent group as of 2019. 'Nuff said.

Yankees. That is all.
Redbrickbear
BylrFan said:

What's your take.
Private equity has to milk that value from the buy

Its like you don't even care about Chicago-based BDT Capital Partners....the little guys in this thing who are just trying to make their money back.
chorne68
It takes forever to go through the line. Not the value it once was.
4th and Inches
Yogi said:

I miss Whataburger.

I've had to adjust my daily diet because I'm getting older and the doctor is upset at me because I am already in rough shape as it is.

But my good doctor also said anything is okay in moderation, so maybe I will try Whataburger again after a couple years' hiatus.

grab you a number 7 or a number 8 combo.. those are the junior burgers

The bun to meat ratio in the regulars are too much. The number 8 is the double meat junior and that one works for me..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
RightRevBear
BylrFan said:

What's your take.

30 minutes? How did you get it so fast? I have waited in line for over an hour. I'm had cars in front of me and behind me. I contemplated hopping the curb, but with the way it was laid out I would have torn up the old SUV I was driving at the time along with their property.
boykin_spaniel
In and Out has soared past Whataburger in burger quality. Last time I ate Whataburger was in DFW, so maybe not the best, but I'd just as rather have had Wendy's.
TechDawgMc
chorne68 said:

It takes forever to go through the line. Not the value it once was.
It's always taken forever to go through the line, but you're right that the value proposition has gone down.
Blackjack Bear
They have definitely made their burgers smaller, and in the Waco area the Whataburger on Hewitt Dr has to have the worst managed and slowest drive thru in about 30 counties.
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

I miss Whataburger.

If your doctor is a cardiologist, you may stay away from the salt lick that is a whataburger.
Ursus
I've noticed a decline with Whataburger over the past year. I get the triple meat with cheese (no bun).
hodedofome
Somebody has to pay for the PE partners 2nd vacation home. I can't believe you guys are complaining so much about the shrinkflation. Think of the billionaires being hurt if they can't shrink the burger!

Also think of the greedy previous owners of Whataburger who sold out to PE, knowing full well it would ruin the business.
CorsicanaBear
DamnYankees.

Illigitimus non carborundum
WacoKelly83
I'd take a Braums in Waco over Whataburger anyday
4th and Inches
boykin_spaniel said:

In and Out has soared past Whataburger in burger quality. Last time I ate Whataburger was in DFW, so maybe not the best, but I'd just as rather have had Wendy's.
in and out burger is solid but their fried are straight trash..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Edmond Bear
4th and Inches said:

boykin_spaniel said:

In N Out has their own beef processing plants which are next to their DCs. All of their stores are within a half day's drive of their DCs. So, their meat tastes better because it is never frozen.

They also only do beef and are not trying to trick out their menu and overextending their quality.
loanbear
4th and Inches said:

boykin_spaniel said:

This. I actually really like their hamburger but never go eat there because their fries are the worst of any fast food chain.
4th and Inches
loanbear said:

4th and Inches said:

boykin_spaniel said:

This. I actually really like their hamburger but never go eat there because their fries are the worst of any fast food chain.
truth

–Horace

Big12Bear
WacoKelly83 said:

Unforunately just a hair past their firm truck delivery radius, which makes Hillsboro the closest.
Big12Bear
Ursus said:

I've noticed a decline with Whataburger over the past year. I get the triple meat with cheese (no bun).
You'd probably enjoy the Flying Dutchman at In & Out.
Edmond Bear
Big12Bear said:

Ursus said:

You'd probably enjoy the Flying Dutchman at In & Out.

I like it Animal Style.
Eleven-League Grant
While obviously many folks were satisfied with the quality of Whataburger until recently, allow me to be the old(ish) man in the room who says ... 'back in my day'.

Whataburger went downhill many years ago when they started using leaner meats for their hamburger patties and quit grilling their hamburger buns face down in grease on a flat griddle. Plus, everyone stood in a line at a long counter right next to the guy cooking the burgers and invariably when you got your food, it was hot.

For many years, it seems, the patties have been 'juiceless' and the buns are merely run through a bun toaster. Plus, for some reason that I could never figure out, the buns at the Waco locations were seldom soft and many times seemed stale and crumbly.

To experience what Whataburger used to be, you'd need a time machine to go back to one of the Corpus Christi locations in the 1970's and 1980's. Now that was what a burger!

Old(ish) man checking out here. It's 10:30 AM -- time for dinner and getting ready to go to bed.
Liteitup
Truth!

My first job was Whataburger on Franklin, 1974? Exactly as you described, you stayed in line till you got your food. Triple triple wasn't a rare order, especially on Saturdays.
TechDawgMc
loanbear said:

4th and Inches said:

boykin_spaniel said:

This is truth, but I think the main reason is a complete lack of salt. I've found that I can eat them if I add a packet of salt. That's not a great solution, but it does make it where I can enjoy eating there.
TechDawgMc
Big12Bear said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Unforunately just a hair past their firm truck delivery radius, which makes Hillsboro the closest.
My hope is that someday a new CEO will change the philosophy, though there's always the danger they'll have the drop off in quality they fear.
Grumpy
Plus, you'd get great ice cream for dessert and take home a gallon of fantastic milk to your fridge. Waco needs a Braums!
Edmond Bear
Grumpy said:

Plus, you'd get great ice cream for dessert and take home a gallon of fantastic milk to your fridge. Waco needs a Braums!

I have a gallon of that fantastic milk in my fridge right now. It's like drinking cream from a rainbow sugar cow.
4th and Inches
TechDawgMc said:

loanbear said:

4th and Inches said:

boykin_spaniel said:

This is truth, but I think the main reason is a complete lack of salt. I've found that I can eat them if I add a packet of salt. That's not a great solution, but it does make it where I can enjoy eating there.
fine ground Himalayan sea salt might help. Maybe I'll bring it home and put them in the air fryer to re-Chrisp them up and add the salt.

Honestly, i think it is the cooking process and the oil used.

Fries should be cut, rinsed/dried, cooked low temploke 350 and the flash fried high temp at 425-450, then salted immediately.

–Horace

Nguyen One Soon
TechDawgMc said:

Big12Bear said:

WacoKelly83 said:

My hope is that someday a new CEO will change the philosophy, though there's always the danger they'll have the drop off in quality they fear.
They did break their time and distance rule From Tuttle for Lubbock, three times no less.
BaylorHistory
4th and Inches said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Works for me as I try to skip fries anyway. I still prefer a well-made Whataburger over a well-made In-N-Out but the problem is that you get a well-made In-N-Out 95% of the time and a well-made Whataburger maybe 50% of the time.

Plus, an In-N-Out burger isn't going to break your day calorically.
trey3216
To those of you that wait too long for Whataburger, you're absolutely doing it wrong.

Use the app and order it to be picked up curbside. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes and it's hotter and fresher than anything you'd get waiting in line at the drive through.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

To those of you that wait too long for Whataburger, you're absolutely doing it wrong.

Use the app and order it to be picked up curbside. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes and it's hotter and fresher than anything you'd get waiting in line at the drive through.
Hewitt? I've tried it 3 or 4 times at each of the "Waco" ones (except BU on 35) and only had good results with the Bellmead location at lunch. Maybe I just had some bad luck.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.