new Walmart Milk Plant

2,180 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Yogi
Localbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know some of the engineers that have worked on their other plants and these things are state of the art.

Waco continues to grow its warehouse footprint. Wonder if we will ever see a big company move in that hires more white collar type jobs or that will always just be in Dallas, Austin, Houston and San Antonio.

https://corporate.walmart.com/news/2024/03/07/walmart-announces-new-milk-processing-facility-in-robinson-texas-opening-in-2026
Yogi
I think Waco's window has closed in terms of being a white collar town in the Texas Triangle. There's just too many competing metros for these types of things.

Waco's economic reality is blue collar, manufacturing, warehousing, construction, and education jobs.

There may be some potential for service sector jobs, but you're not going to see too many HQ's move to Waco. The support and infrastructure just aren't there.

Outside of Austin, Waco is the second largest metro in Central Texas with a metro population of over 302,000, but consider that Temple-Killeen has over 476,000 with Temple poised to go over 100,000 this year. (Aggieland has a little over 277,000 by comparison.)

The fact of the matter is Waco not only has to compete with the major metros, but also the numerous metros in the State between 100,000 and 500,000 residents.

And none of those metros in our demographic are drawing white collar jobs, either. So, there's nothing wrong with trying to attract them here, but Waco just doesn't have what it takes to make it stand out, and it is the slowest growing metro in the area to boot. So, our chances just aren't as great to bring in corporate jobs.

Now, say Magnolia becomes an national empire, then Waco could serve as a reasonable HQ, but most HQ's in Waco would have to be homegrown.
bankerbear
Great add for our market and one that has been in the works for sometime. Stay tuned…more great announcements coming this year!
RightRevBear
bankerbear said:

Great add for our market and one that has been in the works for sometime. Stay tuned…more great announcements coming this year!

15 years ago their Great Value Milk was Oak Farms with a different sticker.
cowboycwr
Yogi said:

I think Waco's window has closed in terms of being a white collar town in the Texas Triangle. There's just too many competing metros for these types of things.

Waco's economic reality is blue collar, manufacturing, warehousing, construction, and education jobs.

There may be some potential for service sector jobs, but you're not going to see too many HQ's move to Waco. The support and infrastructure just aren't there.

Outside of Austin, Waco is the second largest metro in Central Texas with a metro population of over 302,000, but consider that Temple-Killeen has over 476,000 with Temple poised to go over 100,000 this year. (Aggieland has a little over 277,000 by comparison.)

The fact of the matter is Waco not only has to compete with the major metros, but also the numerous metros in the State between 100,000 and 500,000 residents.

And none of those metros in our demographic are drawing white collar jobs, either. So, there's nothing wrong with trying to attract them here, but Waco just doesn't have what it takes to make it stand out, and it is the slowest growing metro in the area to boot. So, our chances just aren't as great to bring in corporate jobs.

Now, say Magnolia becomes an national empire, then Waco could serve as a reasonable HQ, but most HQ's in Waco would have to be homegrown.

I disagree.

I would think that as land gets sparse in other areas (Austin, DFW, Houston, etc.), companies flee high tax states/cities and traffic gets worse companies will keep looking to move their headquarters to less populated areas.

Like Exxon did with their new headquarters, companies that have left Cali and NY, all the companies that have moved to Frisco over the last ten years or so, etc.

Waco was rumored to have been in the running for a few companies to move their headquarters here or at least partial headquarters and plants- like Catepillar.

I think many of the reasons you list could also be reasons to entice a company to move here- coupled with things like good area schools, 3 higher education spots in town (BU, MCC (and their partnerships with TT/Tarleton) and TSTC), cheap land, tax incentives the city/county would give, etc.

As for Magnolia they are already a national empire.... but that is a different thread.
BaylorGuy314
RightRevBear said:

bankerbear said:

That's most milk, honestly. There is quite literally no difference between Great Value and/or the Hill Country Fare, etc and Oak Farms or other "name" brands. I'm sure the high end brands are different but I'd bet marginally so.
bularry
BaylorGuy314 said:

RightRevBear said:

bankerbear said:

That's most milk, honestly. There is quite literally no difference between Great Value and/or the Hill Country Fare, etc and Oak Farms or other "name" brands. I'm sure the high end brands are different but I'd bet marginally so.
you might be surprised...
bankerbear
Waco will have another great economic development announcement tomorrow. More great news coming for our community this year!
bularry
cowboycwr said:

Yogi said:

I disagree.

I would think that as land gets sparse in other areas (Austin, DFW, Houston, etc.), companies flee high tax states/cities and traffic gets worse companies will keep looking to move their headquarters to less populated areas.

Like Exxon did with their new headquarters, companies that have left Cali and NY, all the companies that have moved to Frisco over the last ten years or so, etc.

Waco was rumored to have been in the running for a few companies to move their headquarters here or at least partial headquarters and plants- like Catepillar.

I think many of the reasons you list could also be reasons to entice a company to move here- coupled with things like good area schools, 3 higher education spots in town (BU, MCC (and their partnerships with TT/Tarleton) and TSTC), cheap land, tax incentives the city/county would give, etc.

As for Magnolia they are already a national empire.... but that is a different thread.
I could see Waco getting some engineering or research center type locations because of the reasons you state, but I find it difficult to think large HQ type relocations will occur. You talk about Exxon/Mobil, but 1) that's been a disaster and 2) the location is near an international airport and still considered part of the Houston metro area, one of the largest in the country. It isn't like they put the HQ in Wallis or Bellville.
BaylorGuy314
bularry said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

RightRevBear said:

bankerbear said:

In what way?
insurancebear
bankerbear said:

Waco will have another great economic development announcement tomorrow. More great news coming for our community this year!
"General Mills to open major Cereal Factory next to brand new Waco Milk Factory"
whitetrash
insurancebear said:

bankerbear said:

"General Mills to open major Cereal Factory next to brand new Waco Milk Factory"
I was hoping for a Chips Ahoy cookie factory.
cowboycwr
bularry said:

cowboycwr said:

Yogi said:

I disagree.

I could see Waco getting some engineering or research center type locations because of the reasons you state, but I find it difficult to think large HQ type relocations will occur. You talk about Exxon/Mobil, but 1) that's been a disaster and 2) the location is near an international airport and still considered part of the Houston metro area, one of the largest in the country. It isn't like they put the HQ in Wallis or Bellville.
True not the best example I could have used.

But all it takes is one to get the ball rolling. There are plenty examples of companies doing so over the years/decades. That is why Waco should keep trying every time a company talks about moving. Once they get one then a second is more likely to move and the growth will happen.

Liteitup
whitetrash said:

insurancebear said:

bankerbear said:

I was hoping for a Chips Ahoy cookie factory.
Geez, Oreos.
RightRevBear
I will volunteer free labor to Chips Ahoy or Oreos to be a quality control taster, I mean tester.
BaylorHistory
RightRevBear said:

I will volunteer free labor to Chips Ahoy or Oreos to be a quality control taster, I mean tester.

bularry
BaylorGuy314 said:

bularry said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

RightRevBear said:

bankerbear said:

In what way?

I'm not in that business, but have friends that are and the quality in the store brands can swing wildly and it definitely isn't the same as the name brand. There is quite literally difference
baylorguy09
bankerbear said:

Tesla supplier opening up a metal finishing plant in Robinson Business Park?

Not a bad pick up!
vg1984
Seems like an article that I read about that said that their was another big announcment coming soon
RightRevBear
All I know is when I got a tour of Oak Farms's facility in 2008 by one of their local leaders, they were putting Great Value labels on the milk jugs on the line. She said something like "Now you know how to get Oak Farms milk at a cheaper price."
BaylorGuy314
RightRevBear said:

All I know is when I got a tour of Oak Farms's facility in 2008 by one of their local leaders, they were putting Great Value labels on the milk jugs on the line. She said something like "Now you know how to get Oak Farms milk at a cheaper price."
This is what I was alluding to. I literally watched them pumping the milk into the cartons with spools of different companies labels to the side. They told us they literally just change the labels. The milk is exactly the same.

Now, perhaps there is a difference in the specialty brands but I've seen it with my own eyes - Hill Country Fare and Oak Farms are the same. Or used to be, at least.
Yogi
RightRevBear said:

Mrs. Baird's used to produce HEB's bread.

And Cott Beverages, one of the largest soda producers in the U.S. produces sodas for both HEB and Walmart/ Sam's Clubs amongst others.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.