Mack Rhoades job security if Scott Drew leaves

6,069 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ghostrider
MarcelloSwisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Scott Drew really leaves for Kentucky Mack Rhoades has to be fired right? Regardless of my personal feelings about Kim Mulkey, there is no doubt she was a great coach. It was no secret that her and Mack didn't get along and that played a big part in her leaving. First her now Drew? You let two National Championship basketball coaches walk out the door. With football also on the decline I just don't know how anyone comes back from that.
EvilTroyAndAbed
If Drew actually wants to go to Kentucky, there is no AD in the world who could get him to stay.
IvanBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

If Drew actually wants to go to Kentucky, there is no AD in the world who could get him to stay.

Doesn't matter Rhodes loved to take credit for Drew's success, he then deserves the credit when and if drew leaves.
caesarscott
Fire his ass. He's done nothing
Mitch Henessey
I'm glad every new thought that enters people's heads gets its own separate thread on this site. It's super fun and not repetitive at all.
BluesBear
Mackenzie isn't going anywhere...not under this President / BOR
ScottS
The process to get Sing the #1 event on campus is well underway.
Sic Em Bears
BluesBear said:

Mackenzie isn't going anywhere...not under this President / BOR

Don't look at twitter right now then
Sic Em Bears
If in fact he has lost our two big national championship team coaches and football falters this year.

I hope they put a fork in him, deep.
MattyIce
If Drew leaves it will be because Mack didnt provide what Drew needed.... FIRE HIM
CorsicanaBear
I think he should have been gone after his selection for football coach faltered, and faltered badly. I see no hope for football this season, so can him now, regardless of Drew's decision, and get somebody in here who has the stones to do what should be done in footballl.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BluesBear
Add Baseball to that mix as well....
bear2be2
MattyIce said:

If Drew leaves it will be because Mack didnt provide what Drew needed.... FIRE HIM
If you think Baylor can match Kentucky's resources, you're delusional.

I'm all for firing Mack if his football experiment this season fails. But this can not be reasonably blamed on the AD. We're talking about Kentucky here. There aren't more than three or four programs in America that can match what they offer ... and Baylor is not one of them.
MattyIce
If CSD buyout is only 4.5 million, it makes him a prime target for any and every bigtime job.
That is Mack's fault..... He created this.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

I'm all for firing Mack if his football experiment this season fails. But this can not be reasonably blamed on the AD. We're talking about Kentucky here. There aren't more than three or four programs in America that can match what they offer ... and Baylor is not one of them.
Yet no one keeps talking about how the money is is the deciding factor here. Everyone is citing Drew's relationship with the AD OF A RIVAL SCHOOL.

Disaster that the AD of another school is on better terms with our coach than ours is.
BUGWBBear
I'm sure Mack is begging like a biotch for Scott not to go. He already ran off one champion and is in danger of losing another.

bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

Yet no one keeps talking about how the money is is the deciding factor here. Everyone is citing Drew's relationship with the AD OF A RIVAL SCHOOL.

Disaster that the AD of another school is on better terms with our coach than ours is.
It doesn't matter what people are talking about. Drew isn't leaving because he's unhappy at Baylor. He would have taken any number of jobs before this one if that was the case, including Louisville this year.

If he leaves, it's because Kentucky offers him things that Baylor can't. Blaming the AD for that is opportunism, plain and simple.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

It doesn't matter what people are talking about. Drew isn't leaving because he's unhappy at Baylor. He would have taken any number of jobs before this one if that was the case, including Louisville this year.

If he leaves, it's because Kentucky offers him things that Baylor can't. Blaming the AD for that is opportunism, plain and simple.
Kentucky is offering him an AD that can protect his culture at the new school. Drew's not going to just pick up and drop he JOY stuff. (I'm sure he'll come up with a new acronym though) That's not going to fly at most schools. He needs a strong AD which Barnhart is to protect him in doing that. Lousiville or most other public universities are not going to give him that.

He can get away with whatever he wants at Baylor because he is bigger than the AD, but the stories are out there about how he's had to go AROUND the AD to get NIL funds in his program. That's a story of a school that didn't support it's best coach, leaving for a school that will.
Bear2393
Absolutely!
Porteroso
If Drew leaves, all anyone will ever remember is that Rhoades was an inexcusable failure. After the Briles scandal, however you feel about it, we still had the 2 best coaches we had ever had. To let both go to other schools rather than retire at Baylor, says it all. The guy knows nothing, or might just be a UT plant. The conspiracies would only be a matter of time.
TeamPlayer
I like Mack . . . but . . .

Mack hired Tony Levine, Tom Herman, James Dickey and Kelvin Sampson. Matt Rhule and Dave Aranda. Wow, talk about boom or bust.

If Drew leaves, I don't think it's Mack's fault. But do we trust Mack to make this hire?
Ghostrider
bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

Baylor has the resources.
Ghostrider
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

He was looking very hard at Louisville per others "in the know."
bear2be2
Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

We don't have Kentucky resources.
Ghostrider
bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

In which way? Top 5 stadium? check. Top 5 pay? check Top 5 NIL, check. Top 5 mexican food? check Big O's? check
bear2be2
Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

In which way?
In any meaningful way.

If Scott Drew chooses to remain at Baylor, it will be for personal, intangible reasons. Every tangible factor favors Kentucky.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

In which way?
In any meaningful way.

If Scott Drew chooses to remain at Baylor, it will be for personal, intangible reasons. Every tangible factor favors Kentucky.

Except one and that's having no legal or political backlash for leading the program with his faith. He can do wherever he wants here on the front and never get push back. Someone would eventually throw a fit if he hosts baptisms at Kentucky.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

In which way?
In any meaningful way.

Except one and that's having no legal or political backlash for leading the program with his faith. He can do wherever he wants here on the front and never get push back. Someone would eventually throw a fit if he hosts baptisms at Kentucky.
I would consider that a personal/intangible factor -- one of many that make Baylor a difficult place to leave.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

MattyIce said:

In which way?
In any meaningful way.

I would consider that a personal/intangible factor -- one of many that make Baylor a difficult place to leave.
Fair enough, I think it's fairly tangible that the way he runs his program might be restricted by a state school.
Bleed Green
Running his program with Christian emphasis is what kept him here when Oregon cme calling years ago. It could be the thing that keeps him here now, but I'm not sure UK would have much push back as long as he wins.

He never had serious discussions with Louisville or even had a desire for them. I'm not saying contact wasn't made, but Scott wasn't interested.
bear2be2
Bleed Green said:

Running his program with Christian emphasis is what kept him here when Oregon cme calling years ago. It could be the thing that keeps him here now, but I'm not sure UK would have much push back as long as he wins.

He never had serious discussions with Louisville or even had a desire for them. I'm not saying contact wasn't made, but Scott wasn't interested.
I think the way Tang has been embraced at Kansas State is proof that Baylor fans likely overemphasize the amount of pushback he would receive at a lot of these schools -- especially a southern university like Kentucky.

There are Christian coaches all over the country whose faith contributes to the culture they build within their programs. There are places on the Pacific Coast and in the Northeast that would push back against it certainly, but most programs afford their coaches substantial latitude to be who they are, especially if they're winning games.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Bleed Green said:

I think the way Tang has been embraced at Kansas State is proof that Baylor fans likely overemphasize the amount of pushback he would receive at a lot of these schools -- especially a southern university like Kentucky.

There are Christian coaches all over the country whose faith contributes to the culture they build within their programs. There are places on the Pacific Coast and in the Northeast that would push back against it certainly, but most programs afford their coaches substantial latitude to be who they are, especially if they're winning games.
No one is saying you can't get away with a limited version of it, or taking publicly about it, but Drew takes it more than a few steps beyond that. Lets not pretend Tang is running the same program at K State drew is at Baylor. Look how left leaning Baylor has gotten multiply that by roughly 10 for any major state school administrators, in the fake Christian south or not.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Bleed Green said:

No one is saying you can't get away with a limited version of it, or taking publicly about it, but Drew takes it more than a few steps beyond that. Lets not pretend Tang is running the same program at K State drew is at Baylor. Look how left leaning Baylor has gotten multiply that by roughly 10 for any major state school administrators, in the fake Christian south or not.
Tang is exceptionally vocal about his faith at Kansas State. He mentions it and the role it plays in his program all the time.

Would Drew have the freedom to run his program exactly the same way at Kentucky that he does at Baylor? Probably not. Would that be a problem or deterrent for him. Unlikely. He could still be vocal about his faith publicly and do many of the same things he currently does there behind closed doors.
One-Eyed Wheeler
MattyIce said:

If CSD buyout is only 4.5 million, it makes him a prime target for any and every bigtime job.
This!!!! After he won the national title his buyout should have increased significantly. If it didn't, that's on Mack!
TeamPlayer
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

MattyIce said:

This!!!! After he won the national title his buyout should have increased significantly. If it didn't, that's on Mack!
Maybe he wanted to but Drew wouldn't agree to a huge buyout.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.