Nicki Collen Responds to Washington Post Article Calling Baylor Women's Basketball 'W

4,642 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Dcheetah
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/03/31/nicki-collen-responds-to-washington-post-article-calling-baylor-womens-basketball-withering/
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
parch
That part in Babb's article, which I actually thought was generally quite good, struck me as an unnecessarily cruel knife twist in order to drive in a hamfisted nail through Mulkey's propensity to drop things cold that no longer serve her (which it's clear she does do).

Quote:

"No longer among the sport's upper tier, another structure abandoned and left to wither."
Baylor is obviously no longer in the elite three or four schools you look at every year as title contenders, but to say a program that's had 4 tourney wins and 3 20+ win seasons since Mulkey bounced was left to "wither" is just ridiculous literary dramatics.
drahthaar
Throw in some officiating of courage and integrity and this one might have played out differently this year. Add a post with some skill, either portal or developmentally, and I'd strongly suggest next year looks differently also.
FFA0329
I was excited how Nicki responded to the withering comment from the article. She was direct but still positive. I am excited about next year, and agree a great post from somewhere is needed. If that person is on our roster(unlikely but possible), or if we get someone in the portal, we could be very good.

I actually thought the article was generally reasonable and fair. The "withering" comment about Baylor was a throwaway line in furtherance of his narrative that Mulkey leaves a lot of heartache in her wake. That seems to be objectively true in my view. While the Baylor part was untrue, it is true that she is one of the most driven and unforgiving people I have I seen. I think if her family(dad and sister) are willing to talk to the reporter and honestly answer questions, it is none of Kim's business to complain about it. That sounds like an entitled crybaby. No comment like from her ex(and Baylor!)was always an option for anyone.

I know people like Kim(see Michael Jordan) can be VERY successful in their profession, but wow, carrying grievance and affront and anger in perpetuity may be great for national championships, but not so much for the rest of life. Even more than the Griner saga, or even her dad, the Emily Niemann part really made me sad, and mad too. She even has to "win" 15-20 years later with Emily.

Glad the article is out and over for the most part. Let's talk about our Bears in 24-25!
chorne68
I used to really like Kim but now I hope they lose every game...especially the Iowa game. I like Nicki and hope she gets national championships at Baylor.
BluesBear
I've struggled to be a Nicki reason but after watching the USC game - I'm sold. She gets 2 more years to get her blend of recruited players through her system and Baylor will compete for Championships... Refs really dictated the USC game result.

ctxbear
parch said:

That part in Babb's article, which I actually thought was generally quite good, struck me as an unnecessarily cruel knife twist in order to drive in a hamfisted nail through Mulkey's propensity to drop things cold that no longer serve her (which it's clear she does do).

Quote:

"No longer among the sport's upper tier, another structure abandoned and left to wither."
Baylor is obviously no longer in the elite three or four schools you look at every year as title contenders, but to say a program that's had 4 tourney wins and 3 20+ win seasons since Mulkey bounced was left to "wither" is just ridiculous literary dramatics.
All this I agree with and will add this-- I think of all the other elements associated with Mulkey getting out when she did, another that doesn't get talked about as much is that because of portal and NIL, we are probably close an era when NO three or four schools are perennially in the Final Four. I think she sensed that was on the horizon and got to a place where she could get one or two more Natty's before that new era begings.
BUGWBBear
Mack is why we cannot have nice things. Coleen doesn't have what it takes to win it all.
PartyBear
No problem at all with CNC's response. However I thought he was talking about literallly the state immediately after she left. Like literally in spring of 21 after she left. Like conveying KM doesnt really give a shxt about her creation she built (which was our program) and the loyalty the place had toward her for 20 years. I didnt think it was a jab at the current state of the program.

Again though I'm glad CNC went to bat for the program anyway.
blackie
PartyBear said:

No problem at all with CNC's response. However I thought he was talking about literallly the state immediately after she left. Like literally in spring of 21 after she left. Like conveying KM doesnt really give a shxt about her creation she built (which was our program) and the loyalty the place had toward her for 20 years. I didnt think it was a jab at the current state of the program.

Again though I'm glad CNC went to bat for the program anyway.
I would agree. I think that is what he meant, but he could have followed up with something along the lines of despite getting left to wither, the program under CNC has managed to overcome getting dumped. I also think ctxbear's comment about NIL and the portal is spot on as well. The comment by the poster in between is way off the mark, and in my opinion not the majority opinion concerning WBB here.

When LSU called and told her what she would have there, especially that which was non-salary related, she was gone, IMO. There is nothing the AD could do to make it not be.....and I for one, would not have wanted him to do "everything it would take" to get her to stay. First off "everything it would take" would still be not enough. And this program despite its history is not more important than the overall athletic department or the school itself.

There are limits as to what you can do with your resources, both the ones you have yourself and ones that people outside the school can provide. We would never be able to match those of a gigantic state school such as LSU. Sure we could divert everything to WBB and leave football or MBB hanging out to dry. I'm sure the poster not named above would be fine with that. No, he would rag on with the same old line directed at a different sport.

We had not even been bringing in the last couple of years the same number and high quality of new players that had gotten us to where we were. The transfers coming in for the 2021-22 season were not that impressive and HS recruiting was way behind what it had been. Anyone that believes we were in line for another NC in a year or two was dreaming. The fire that you have seen at LSU was no longer in Waco as it had been in the earlier years. LSU was a lifeline that she couldn't pass up. Blame Rhoades for a lot, but there is absolutely nothing, IMO, that could have kept her here that could be justified in any manner. I am perfectly fine with where we are. It is fun again to be in the hunt. The real excitement for me in WBB was the journey it took to get to 2005 and then 2012. After that the "monster" as KM called it was a burden that was a no-win situation, especially in the era of pay-to-play. Proud to have CNC as our coach and face of the program.
Jack Bauer
He could have said the WBB program at Baylor has dropped some in results but of course journalists have to paint extremes.

"Withering" is if we hired the janitor to coach the team and fell to the Big12 basement.

Nicki has won 75% of her games, with 1 Big 12 championship, and 3 for 3 NCAA appearances.
chorne68
Recruiting has certainly gone down, but Nicki has brought in some good transfers. She is a very good coach and comes across much better than Kim. I am glad she is here and because of her response to the article, I think she has a burning desire to get us back to where we were.
Stefano DiMera
Yeah there was nothing new in the article for me except the Niemann story .

That's a horrible look for Mulkey. Supposedly you get into coaching to shape young people's lives. And sometimes it takes years to realize the meaning behind rough love and coaching.. Emily probably realized she made some mistakes and wanted to bury the hatchet..but the petulant child walked away.
Cp2310
I truly believe it was Kim's intent to set Baylor up to wither and die. I think Kim knew she was leaving so she stopped recruiting her last two years. When she left Baylor only had 1 player in the pipe line and less than 10 on the whole roster. She intended to take as many players with her as she could and hoped the others would leave. CNC saved the program from dying.
chorne68
Cp2310 said:

I truly believe it was Kim's intent to set Baylor up to wither and die. I think Kim knew she was leaving so she stopped recruiting her last two years. When she left Baylor only had 1 player in the pipe line and less than 10 on the whole roster. She intended to take as many players with her as she could and hoped the others would leave. CNC saved the program from dying.
I totally agree with this. Love that she lost yesterday.
franke
Cp2310 said:

If that is what you truly believe, you may need to reevaluate yourself lol

Recruiting relationships aren't built over the course of two years. The "pipeline" extends far beyond a single recruiting class. I know some of y'all happen to be recruiting experts, but having a class with a single player ( a dang good player in Dauda) doesn't mean a coach was planning to leave two years prior. Sometimes that is how it goes.

Take offense with the WaPo author calling us withering, and let's not try to drum up a conspiracy while we are at it. CNC is doing a good job, and so is KM at her new school. Both can be true.

IowaBear
Some of the conspiracies drummed up on here are utterly ridiculous
Jack Bauer
Someone help me...did Baylor players stay in the locker room during the national anthem when Kim was coaching? I call BS this is "routine", it is deliberate.

franke
It's wild
franke
I don't think they've come out for a national anthem one time since COVID. This is another media thing to get the politics going. Why would it be deliberate for this game only?? Y'all are on one this morning
Jack Bauer
franke said:

I don't think they've come out for a national anthem one time since COVID. This is another media thing to get the politics going. Why would it be deliberate for this game only?? Y'all are on one this morning

You know COVID is over, right?
IowaBear
It's definitely not over. Just tested positive Sunday.
franke
Jack Bauer said:

franke said:

You know COVID is over, right?
Why i said "since"... probably became a routine then and they've stayed in locker room since. This is not a news story.
mcleod66
Jack Bauer said:

Someone help me...did Baylor players stay in the locker room during the national anthem when Kim was coaching? I call BS this is "routine", it is deliberate.

Agree. I was a Baylor WBB season ticket holder when mulkey was there, and the players were ALWAYS out on the floor for the national anthem. This must be a new unpatriotic routine for mulkey. Regarding her answer, she knows if she and her team are out there for the national anthem. Make it a point to be on the floor then. It's not that long a song and means a LOT to MANY (if not most) of us. The extra time in the locker room didn't seem to help last night.
OntheRecord
CNC should have not begun with "I was offended." She should have just defended the institution and left herself out of it. This, unfortunately, is the way people offer objections to things they hear or read and believe are false: they start with themselves and their offense or their hurt or "being troubled." Mulkey did it with the LA Times piece.

What we are cultivating today is the woke version of the blue haired old lady pushing morals legislation. The whole "how dare you" faction of our country stifles discussion, dissent, and serious conversation. Although I agree with Mulkey that the Times piece used imprudent language, it was not the "sexist" and "racist" screed the dim-witted Van Lith claimed as "fact" in a recent press conference.

This whole approach to civil discussion is distasteful, childish, and unbecoming of adults who should not come across as whiney crybabies.

blackie
franke said:

Cp2310 said:

Recruiting relationships aren't built over the course of two years. The "pipeline" extends far beyond a single recruiting class. I know some of y'all happen to be recruiting experts, but having a class with a single player ( a dang good player in Dauda) doesn't mean a coach was planning to leave two years prior. Sometimes that is how it goes.

Take offense with the WaPo author calling us withering, and let's not try to drum up a conspiracy while we are at it. CNC is doing a good job, and so is KM at her new school. Both can be true.

I don't keep up with recruiting that much, but several here who do reported that Dauda was looking to get out of her NLI before KM's leaving ever came up. Perhaps those that stated this can speak up if they are still around.

And the pipeline not being built over the course of two years is exactly why when KM left the pipeline for Baylor, any that was there was blown up. These elite players don't come to the school, Baylor or most other places for that matter. They go for the coach. If the coach goes elsewhere there is no reason for them to take the chance to go onto the place not knowing how the new coach will work out. CNC has to and has had to recreate a pipeline that starts way before a senior year in high school.
franke
I agree with you blackie, I was more referencing the comment that a downturn in recruiting was because she knew she was leaving for two years. Obviously with a coaching change you have to start over. But the comment about it being intentional makes no sense.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blackie said:

franke said:

Cp2310 said:

I don't keep up with recruiting that much, but several here who do reported that Dauda was looking to get out of her NLI before KM's leaving ever came up. Perhaps those that stated this can speak up if they are still around.

And the pipeline not being built over the course of two years is exactly why when KM left the pipeline for Baylor, any that was there was blown up. These elite players don't come to the school, Baylor or most other places for that matter. They go for the coach. If the coach goes elsewhere there is no reason for them to take the chance to go onto the place not knowing how the new coach will work out. CNC has to and has had to recreate a pipeline that starts way before a senior year in high school.
Yes, she was looking to stay home and yes Nicki has to create it after coming in from the WNBA.
baylorbear33
OntheRecord said:

CNC should have not begun with "I was offended." She should have just defended the institution and left herself out of it. This, unfortunately, is the way people offer objections to things they hear or read and believe are false: they start with themselves and their offense or their hurt or "being troubled." Mulkey did it with the LA Times piece.

What we are cultivating today is the woke version of the blue haired old lady pushing morals legislation. The whole "how dare you" faction of our country stifles discussion, dissent, and serious conversation. Although I agree with Mulkey that the Times piece used imprudent language, it was not the "sexist" and "racist" screed the dim-witted Van Lith claimed as "fact" in a recent press conference.

This whole approach to civil discussion is distasteful, childish, and unbecoming of adults who should not come across as whiney crybabies.

I wouldn't exactly describer her as that... She graduated from Louisville with a Finance degree in 3 years, has a Master's coming from LSU, and word has it, she has applied to law school.
historian
That's true of most conspiracy theories wherever they might be.
historian
I think he was referring to the panic, shutdowns, & various forms of tyranny used to control people. Like almost any disease, covid probably will be with us always. Thankfully, it's one that is usually treatable.

I hope you remain healthy and if you get sick recover quickly.
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

It's definitely not over. Just tested positive Sunday.
Get well soon, bud.
Dcheetah
I am the one who reported that about Maryam Dauda although others may have also. She was never coming here even before Kim left as Brian referenced above. That's the main reason we never got her to even look our way once CKM left. Just made it easier and more convient for her to say she was changing to the home state team once that happened.

CKM did try to take Nalyssa, Sarah, and Moon, and Gusters - don't remember about Queen yes or no on her way to LSU. So glad Nalyssa and Sarah and Queen(?) stayed. The next year she tried to recruit one of our top young players off the team behind our coaches backs but was unsuccessful. When leaving Baylor she and some assistants did some very negative and untruthful recruiting against us on the HS circuit but all that seems to be mostly behind us now. Glad we have CNC and glad CKM seems much happier at LSU now.

Iowa, hope you are feeling better soon.
Cp2310
I didn't take offense to the wapo article saying we were withering. I said I BELIEVE that was Kim intent for Baylor. And no I'm not a recruiting expert but I can understand what I see. By pipeline I'm talking about for the next few years there was only one signee who tore up her knee her sr year and 1 committ who is riding the bench at Oregon. I think.
Cp2310
Yes cnc has to create her own pipeline. But there should have been committs that cnc should have atleast been able to approach even to be turned down. And yes the young lady from Arkansas wanted to stay home because she tore up her knee her sr year. She wasn't gonna be able to play as a freshman anyway. So in reality we had no one coming in the next year. As far as the intentional part. Do you truly believe , Kim is not petty enough to screw Baylor over
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.