Has anyone else wondered about this?

665 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by ShooterTX
ShooterTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why have we seen such a dramatic increase in food allergies over the past 40 years? Why have we seen such a massive increase in Autism in that same time? Meanwhile, the percentage of babies born with genetic issues like Down Syndrome remain consistent.

In America, food allergies (FA) have increased over 400% in the past 20 years. That is an increase in the percentage of population with FA, not an increase in the number of cases. In that same time frame, the cases in Europe have almost doubled in percentage of population... but some researchers claim that those increases could be caused by modernization of medicine & reporting in Eastern Europe.

Still, the question remains. Why is it that I cannot remember ANYONE in my childhood who suffered from life threatening FA or Autism... and now, I know over a dozen cases of kids with one or both diagnosis?

Growing up, we had a very close family whose 2nd child was born with Down Syndrome. When I got to Baylor, I discovered that it was fairly rare to have grown up with a close family friend with Downs. Also when I got to Baylor, I first learned about people who suffered from life threatening food allergies. Up to that point in life, FA was just something that made you feel sick, throw up or have diarrhea. I had no idea that people could die from FA. I had to actually study and read to find out what the word "autism" was about.

30 years later, we have weekly reminders to NOT pack nuts in our kids school lunch, because it could kill other students. And it seems like everywhere you go, you find some kid "on the spectrum". The best research estimates that people born before 1966 may have had as many as 1 in 2,500 cases of autism. Of course the diagnosis and understanding of autism wasn't like it is today... so this is just based on the number of adults in that age group who currently are on the spectrum, and then adjusted using estimates. For those born before 1987, it is estimated that it could be as high as 1 in 1,400 people. The actual numbers of adults in that age group who are currently diagnosed is closer to 1 in 10,000... but the researchers are assuming that other mental health diagnosis would today be realized as autism. They also conclude that many in that age bracket have died an early death due to complications from their autism.

So let's just go with the most generous numbers and say that my age group has around 1 in 1,400 cases of autism. How did we go from that number to the current number of 1 in 36? That is a MASSIVE increase! In the past 20 years alone, we jumped from 1 in 150 to 1 in 36... what the hell is going on?

The exact causes of FA, autism and Downs are all unknown. There are many theories for each of them, and some risk factors have been identified for each as well. So how is it that the percentage of Downs has remained relatively constant at around 1%, while the percentages of FA and Autism have seen insane increases over the past 30+ years?

And just for fun... should we compare the percentage of Downs to the percentage growth of LGBTQ+?
Of course, I am not going to compare FA and Autism to LGBTQ+... since FA and Autism are real, biological diagnosis and LGBTQ+ is just a madness of the mind.
ShooterTX
Harrison Bergeron
I have wondered about peanut allergies. Seems like it came on the scene hot around 2000.
ron.reagan
ShooterTX said:

Why have we seen such a dramatic increase in food allergies over the past 40 years? Why have we seen such a massive increase in Autism in that same time? Meanwhile, the percentage of babies born with genetic issues like Down Syndrome remain consistent.

In America, food allergies (FA) have increased over 400% in the past 20 years. That is an increase in the percentage of population with FA, not an increase in the number of cases. In that same time frame, the cases in Europe have almost doubled in percentage of population... but some researchers claim that those increases could be caused by modernization of medicine & reporting in Eastern Europe.

Still, the question remains. Why is it that I cannot remember ANYONE in my childhood who suffered from life threatening FA or Autism... and now, I know over a dozen cases of kids with one or both diagnosis?

Growing up, we had a very close family whose 2nd child was born with Down Syndrome. When I got to Baylor, I discovered that it was fairly rare to have grown up with a close family friend with Downs. Also when I got to Baylor, I first learned about people who suffered from life threatening food allergies. Up to that point in life, FA was just something that made you feel sick, throw up or have diarrhea. I had no idea that people could die from FA. I had to actually study and read to find out what the word "autism" was about.

30 years later, we have weekly reminders to NOT pack nuts in our kids school lunch, because it could kill other students. And it seems like everywhere you go, you find some kid "on the spectrum". The best research estimates that people born before 1966 may have had as many as 1 in 2,500 cases of autism. Of course the diagnosis and understanding of autism wasn't like it is today... so this is just based on the number of adults in that age group who currently are on the spectrum, and then adjusted using estimates. For those born before 1987, it is estimated that it could be as high as 1 in 1,400 people. The actual numbers of adults in that age group who are currently diagnosed is closer to 1 in 10,000... but the researchers are assuming that other mental health diagnosis would today be realized as autism. They also conclude that many in that age bracket have died an early death due to complications from their autism.

So let's just go with the most generous numbers and say that my age group has around 1 in 1,400 cases of autism. How did we go from that number to the current number of 1 in 36? That is a MASSIVE increase! In the past 20 years alone, we jumped from 1 in 150 to 1 in 36... what the hell is going on?

The exact causes of FA, autism and Downs are all unknown. There are many theories for each of them, and some risk factors have been identified for each as well. So how is it that the percentage of Downs has remained relatively constant at around 1%, while the percentages of FA and Autism have seen insane increases over the past 30+ years?

And just for fun... should we compare the percentage of Downs to the percentage growth of LGBTQ+?
Of course, I am not going to compare FA and Autism to LGBTQ+... since FA and Autism are real, biological diagnosis and LGBTQ+ is just a madness of the mind.
Certainly the rise of austism is because of the rise of people that don't reproduce. Amazing insight
cowboycwr
On the autism I have read some things on the biggest reason behind that is how the definition of autism keeps evolving. For example, until recently (say the last 40 years) many people that are Autistic were labelled slow, dumb, R word, even though autism had been a separate thing since the early 1900s. I hate to use this analogy but think of Forrest Gump or Rain Man- neither movie classifies either character which is realistic for the time period each character grew up in.

Then in the late 90s and early 2000s you had a split of autism and it was Asperger's syndrome. And at first it was often considered separate from Autism. Then they were tied together and the definition evolved to be "on the spectrum."

So now you can have people that are very very low on the spectrum (non verbal, little to no life skills, etc) all the way up to kids who are very smart but just a little "off" socially because they all have autism or autism tendencies.

TLDR; Autism is better defined and better identified now leading to more people with that diagnosis.
ShooterTX
cowboycwr said:

On the autism I have read some things on the biggest reason behind that is how the definition of autism keeps evolving. For example, until recently (say the last 40 years) many people that are Autistic were labelled slow, dumb, R word, even though autism had been a separate thing since the early 1900s. I hate to use this analogy but think of Forrest Gump or Rain Man- neither movie classifies either character which is realistic for the time period each character grew up in.

Then in the late 90s and early 2000s you had a split of autism and it was Asperger's syndrome. And at first it was often considered separate from Autism. Then they were tied together and the definition evolved to be "on the spectrum."

So now you can have people that are very very low on the spectrum (non verbal, little to no life skills, etc) all the way up to kids who are very smart but just a little "off" socially because they all have autism or autism tendencies.

TLDR; Autism is better defined and better identified now leading to more people with that diagnosis.

The problem there is that many of the adults who are alive today, are currently being diagnosed as autistic or redefined from ******ed to autistic.
One such example is the guy who first came up with the idea of shorting the house market in the early 2000s, Dr. Michael Berry.
Autism isn't just a childhood disease that you grow out of... so if the numbers are not growing over time, then we should also see 1 in 36 adults with autism.

Do you really think that 1 in 36 adults over 45 have autism?
ShooterTX
Porteroso
Have you tried Googling it? No, many before you wondered the same thing. First, children with all sorts of conditions typically would not have been born without modern medicine. This is not the case in all situations, but modern medicine is allowing both children and mothers with issues to survive, when they would have died before.

Second, the government made nut allergies worse by recommending parents keep all children away from nuts. They realized it and now say children need to have contact with nuts.

Third, autism is probably on the rise as you say, but the word itself wasn't in common usage until the 80s. Any given human being can be diagnosed with all sorts of issues today, whereas they were just normal before, so we don't know what % of children used to be autistic, though it was probably fewer.

My opinion is that we eat so much processed food, so much plastic, intake so many chemicals that it will have slow but serious effects on humanity. Take gluten for example. It is highly likely that large scale wheat processing is different enough from the old ways that it has created the issue of gluten intolerance.

Life is so convenient today, so easy. One of the hidden costs is that we have little to no control over these ingredients. If I buy salt, how do I know it doesn't contain .001% borax? Or trace whatever? I could now go into my modern hunting and gardening sermon but I'll stop there.
ron.reagan
ShooterTX said:

cowboycwr said:

The problem there is that many of the adults who are alive today, are currently being diagnosed as autistic or redefined from ******ed to autistic.
One such example is the guy who first came up with the idea of shorting the house market in the early 2000s, Dr. Michael Berry.
Autism isn't just a childhood disease that you grow out of... so if the numbers are not growing over time, then we should also see 1 in 36 adults with autism.

Do you really think that 1 in 36 adults over 45 have autism?
I imagine a lot of milder cases on the spectrum wouldn't have been a problem throughout history. Working on a farm vs sitting in a classroom are very different stimuli.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
cowboycwr said:

Good post sir. You are correct.
Mitch Blood Green
ShooterTX said:

I've not worried about it. I am aware that the food supply could be safer.
Redbrickbear
ShooterTX said:

Growing up, we had a very close family whose 2nd child was born with Down Syndrome. When I got to Baylor, I discovered that it was fairly rare to have grown up with a close family friend with Downs.

I have no idea but there could be all kind of effects from growing up the modern world

For instance Amish kids don't really have asthma or many other allergies.

But Hutterite kids (who grow up in a similar way) do have those things.

They basically figure out it has to do with growing up playing in barns and around farm animals.

Something about it cuts down on the rates of asthma.

So Amish kids have it less than their Hutterite cousins who keep the kids away from the industrial barns where the animals are

Forest Bueller_bf
cowboycwr said:

This.
william
likely a combo of many factors.....

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating organic whole wheat toast }

POE.
Realitybites
When you start peeling back the layers of our food industry and vaccination things start getting pretty interesting. In my travels, it easy to compare and see how the quality of food in the US compares to that overseas. A steak - even at a high end steak house in the US - is going to be markedly inferior in both flavor and texture to one in Rio or Buenos Aires. Cheese produced with actual rennet is far better than our Pfizer bioengineered stuff.

As far as vaccines, look at the absurdity that is now the standard childhood vaccination schedule.

Downs is a known risk that increases with the age of the mother. Whether or not the overall number of babies born with Downs is increasing I dont know because you have two warring tendencies: women delaying having children until their 30s vs these women electing to abort a baby with a prenatal diagnosis of Downs.
4th and Inches
Eat fatty meat, real veggies cooked in meat fat, drink water, unsweat tea, unsweat coffee

dont eat anything processed like grains, grain flour, breads, pastas, sugary foods, foods with dyes, foods with chemically processed seed oils

Watch 90+% of your allergies vanish, watch your energy level go up, watch youretabolic syndrome symptoms go away.

Our food is killing us..

Cows are fed grains like corn and soy to fatten them up yet we are told they should dominate our "healthy" diet.

Carbs should be under 100 grams per day and in some cases, as low as under 20 grams for months as the body heals and gets proper nutrients back into the body. We dont absorb most of the nutirents from plants just the sugars plus this excess glucose keeps insulin levels too high and if you have high insulin, you will never use stored body fat.

We are a society of over stressed, under nurished, over weight humans struggling to survive.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Realitybites
4th and Inches said:

Eat fatty meat, real veggies cooked in meat fat, drink water, unsweat tea, unsweat coffee

dont eat anything processed like grains, grain flour, breads, pastas, sugary foods, foods with dyes, foods with chemically processed seed oils

Watch 90+% of your allergies vanish, watch your energy level go up, watch youretabolic syndrome symptoms go away.

Our food is killing us..

Cows are fed grains like corn and soy to fatten them up yet we are told they should dominate our "healthy" diet.

Carbs should be under 100 grams per day and in some cases, as low as under 20 grams for months as the body heals and gets proper nutrients back into the body. We dont absorb most of the nutirents from plants just the sugars plus this excess glucose keeps insulin levels too high and if you have high insulin, you will never use stored body fat.

We are a society of over stressed, under nurished, over weight humans struggling to survive.

Excellent advice. Also limit dairy. Nourishment meant for baby mammals wasn't really intended for adult ones.
ShooterTX
Realitybites said:

4th and Inches said:

Our food is killing us..

Excellent advice. Also limit dairy. Nourishment meant for baby mammals wasn't really intended for adult ones.
About 5 years ago, we bought some dairy goats.
We have been consuming dairy on a daily basis from our goats. We feed our goats some high quality goat feed made at a local feed store, but they mostly just forage around the property.
Since we got away from milk from HEB, and just consume our goat milk... we have had NO dairy issues at all.

Funny side note: Some friends we met, who have had goats for years, asked us which vet we use when our goats get sick. We looked confused at eachother.... our goats never get sick. They were shocked. Their goats get sick every year. We told them about our local feed store. They switched over and for the past 18+ months, their goats have never been sick again!

It works for goats, and it works for us too. What you eat is far more important than what you inject in your arm, or the pills you pop everyday.
ShooterTX
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.