PDA

View Full Version : WTH - Aggies nip bobbling BU

Juncbear
04-22-06, 05:21 AM
Aggies nip bobbling BU

Saturday, April 22, 2006

By John Werner

Tribune-Herald staff writer

COLLEGE STATION — With Baylor’s Ryan LaMotta and Texas A&M’s Jason Meyer locked in a classic pitching duel, neither team could afford a defensive slip in Friday’s series opener.

The Bears made three, the Aggies none.

Two critical Baylor outfield errors contributed to two eighth-inning runs as the last-place Aggies snapped a seven-game losing streak with a 4-2 win before 3,845 fans at Olsen Field.

Following their fourth straight Big 12 loss, the Bears (23-16, 7-9) need to win the last two games against the Aggies (20-21, 4-12) at Baylor Ballpark tonight at 6 and Sunday at 2 p.m. to even their conference record.

With 11 Big 12 games remaining, the Bears already have more losses than last year’s team that tied Nebraska for the conference title with a 19-8 record.

“This season reminds me of a couple of years ago when we were losing a lot of close games,” LaMotta said. “The story for me today was that I couldn’t finish them off with two outs. We need to win these last two games against the Aggies at home.”

Meyer (2-1) pitched brilliantly for the Aggies as he scattered six hits and struck out 10 while not walking a batter in eight innings.

But the Bears scratched across a run against Meyer in the eighth when Kevin Sevigny tripled and scored on Beamer Weems’ double to tie the game at 2-2. With Weems at third base, Aggie second baseman Parker Dalton saved a run when he backhanded Matt Sodolak’s grounder up the middle and threw to first to end the inning.

Though LaMotta (5-3) wasn’t as sharp as Meyer, he kept the Bears in the game. But the Aggies started a rally in the bottom of the eighth when Jose Salazar singled and moved to second when Sevigny bobbled the ball in right field.

It was Sevigny’s first error in 108 games dating back to 2004.

“It was an unfortunate time to make an error,” Sevigny said. “I looked up because I wanted to make sure the baserunner (Salazar) didn’t go to second. I took my eye off the ball and it bounced off the heel of my glove.”

With two outs, the right-handed LaMotta intentionally walked left-handed hitting Adam Hale with first base open. But right-handed hitting Kyle Colligan made the Bears pay by drilling a double up the middle to score Salazar for the go-ahead run.

Hale scored from first when Baylor centerfielder Chase Gerdes bobbled the ball to give the Aggies a 4-2 lead. LaMotta allowed eight hits, four walks and three earned runs in eight innings.

Gerdes’ error was Baylor’s third of the game after second baseman Ben Booker committed a third-inning error on Colligan’s hard-hit grounder.

“The errors we made in the outfield weren’t tough plays,” said Baylor coach Steve Smith. “We just didn’t do some things that are fairly routine. But I liked the way our guys competed overall today. Meyer pitched a great game for them but we got some big hits against him in the eighth.”

Matt Ueckert finished off the win for the Aggies by retiring the side in the ninth for his first save of the season.

The Bears scored their only other run off Meyer in the second inning. Meyer hit Zach Dillon with a pitch and he took second on Sodolak’s bunt before moving to third on Tim Jackson’s single.

After Kevin Russo bunted in front of the plate, Aggie catcher Josh Stinson threw to Salazar who tried to step on second base before making the throw to first for an apparent double play. But Salazar missed the second-base bag to allow Dillon to score on the play.

However, the Aggies took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second when Spencer Jackson drilled a two-run homer over the right-field fence. It was Jackson’s first at-bat since March 2 following a hand injury.

The Bears got no more runs against Meyer until the eighth. Seth Fortenberry went 0-for-4 against Meyer and struck out three times to snap his 13-game hitting streak in Big 12 play. In his first at-bat of the season following knee surgery, Mike Pankratz pinch hit for Baylor in the seventh and was hit by a pitch.

“Baylor has real aggressive hitters and I tried to keep them off-balance by throwing a lot of changeups,” Meyer said. “I also got them to swing on some curveballs in the dirt. I felt more in control today than I have in some other outings.”

Baylor left-hander Cory VanAllen (4-4, 4.82 ERA) will pitch against Texas A&M right-hander Austin Creps (3-3, 1.83) in today’s game.

jwerner@wacotrib.com

757-5716

Cox Newspapers, L.P. - The Waco Tribune-Herald - Our Partners

Ty McNeely
04-22-06, 06:41 AM
It was Sevigny’s first error in 108 games dating back to 2004.

Gotta love typical shoddy WTH reporting.

Sevigny had an error earlier this season that broke that streak of error-less games.

WTG, WTH.

Baylor Dan
04-22-06, 07:51 AM
ET = Error, Tyrus. According to the official site, this was Sevigny's first error of the season.

John Werner does an outstanding job covering Baylor baseball and Tyrus remains inconsistent.

CentexBear
04-22-06, 08:56 AM
What is inconsistent is the play of our baseball team year in and year out.

Yeah we beat up on the sisters of the weak and poor and usually scrap a good enough record (due to non-con) to get to the post season, where we bow out with a whimper.

Looks like it's setting up nicely again this season.

Bearclaw
04-22-06, 09:01 AM
The opposite was true last year--we went 19-8 in conference and played awful at times against the sisters.

BUBBFAN
04-22-06, 09:43 AM
What is inconsistent is the play of our baseball team year in and year out.

Yeah we beat up on the sisters of the weak and poor and usually scrap a good enough record (due to non-con) to get to the post season, where we bow out with a whimper.

Looks like it's setting up nicely again this season.
Did you go to Omaha last year?

Solan=Christ!!!
04-22-06, 11:38 AM
Gotta love typical shoddy WTH reporting.

Sevigny had an error earlier this season that broke that streak of error-less games.

WTG, WTH.

If it's wrong, it's wrong by the official Baylor stats. 2004 was the last recorded error.

Ty McNeely
04-22-06, 02:07 PM
If it's wrong, it's wrong by the official Baylor stats. 2004 was the last recorded error.

Then it's either wrong, or they took Sevigny's error that he had earlier in the year away.

Chi-town Bear
04-22-06, 02:10 PM
Then it's either wrong, or they took Sevigny's error that he had earlier in the year away.

of course. you could never be wrong.

Ty McNeely
04-22-06, 09:48 PM
of course. you could never be wrong.

They took the error away.

I checked it---in the Sunday game at OU this year, Sevigny dropped a ball in the outfield that ended up costing us the game. We were all floored by it at the time and it was discussed on here, as Sevigny NEVER commits errors.

It was an error, but the OU scorekeepers gave it a hit.

Say what you want about me, but I was right on this one. Sevigny committed the error, the scorekeepers just didn't give it to him.