PDA

View Full Version : Best place to SELL your car?

Ghostrider
12-10-06, 09:35 PM
ebay, autotrader, etc? Or would you trade it in?

ScottS
12-10-06, 09:45 PM
Rush,
Just park it at walmart with a for sale sign on it. You will get double what the dealer will pay you.

nein51
12-11-06, 06:10 AM
Autotrader is a good source.

What are you selling? Might help us point you in the right direction.

Ghostrider
12-11-06, 06:28 AM
2000 bmw 323i 87k miles

nein51
12-11-06, 06:31 AM
www.bimmerforums.com (http://www.bimmerforums.com) will command the highest value but might take the longest to sell. I am a member there and can post it for you if you like. Would need details and pictures but happy to help.

Autotrader will net loads of responses but there will be 10 tire kickers to every 1 lead.

Ebay if you are willing to drop your shorts on the sale. Same for a place like Carmax.

Dealer is a dead last option, as it will be, typically, the lowest of the values.

Ghostrider
12-11-06, 06:33 AM
Since you know bmw's, what should a 2000 bwm 323i 4dr, leather/sunroof, good condition with 87k miles, 1 owner, go for around? 9-10k?

nein51
12-11-06, 06:35 AM
Color? Options? Does it have the sport options? It is a base model. Auto/Manual? Do you have the service records?

Ghostrider
12-11-06, 06:40 AM
black with tan leather, fully loaded, no sport opetions that I know of, auto, and bmw (ouch) has all service recrods....been in 1 fender bender, repaired by bwm but was only bumper damage and fixed, new tires, 6 disc changer, sunroof, cruise, power everything

nein51
12-11-06, 06:47 AM
black with tan leather, fully loaded, no sport opetions that I know of, auto, and bmw (ouch) has all service recrods....been in 1 fender bender, repaired by bwm but was only bumper damage and fixed, new tires, 6 disc changer, sunroof, cruise, power everything10K should be a bottom price. I would ask 13.5K. I saw one in similar shape go for 14.8K the other day but it was a manual which, on a BMW forum, is far more desireable. Having all the service performed by BMW makes a big difference

If you are going to ask 10K I bet it is sold in less than a week. 10K is an ebay price. You could put 15K in the paper or Autotrader. I dont think you would get 15K but certainly would get more than 10K.

On the sport options, is it a 3 spoke or 4 spoke steering wheel and what size are the wheels? Sport cars will have a 3 spoke wheel and generally 17" wheels.

Like I said, happy to post it up and whatnot if you want me to.

Ghostrider
12-11-06, 06:50 AM
4 spoke, volume, etc is on steering wheel....16" tires

nein51
12-11-06, 06:56 AM
Yeah, def. not sports model. Let me know if you need help unloading it.

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 10:36 AM
Personally, I have had more success on ebay than on vehicle specific forums (i.e. Infiniti, Audi, Ford).

I have also tried Autotrader and agree with nein in that you will get some interest but it will take longer to get serious inquiries.

Nein's order of selling options is dead on.

I think that ebay is the "sweet spot" balancing time to sell and price. If you use carad.com to help put together your ebay ad, you'll do better than you might thing. I sold a '99 I30 limited for $9,900 on ebay about 2 years ago. I think carmax offered me $8,000. If I were more patient I probably could have sold it for $10,500 but if it took 2 months then the value depreciation over the 2 months might have put it back down to about $10,000. Just keep that in mind. The longer it takes to sell, the better chance that the "book" values will lower.

nein51
12-11-06, 11:57 AM
SoTex, you will have infinetly better success selling on a car forum if you are a long standing member there. People are wary of people who join just to sell their car...which is why I offered to post it for him :)

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 12:30 PM
nein,

'Tis true. I've been and still am in Infiniti message board member. Owned a G20 and I30. Although you can have luck selling in such a forum, most success I've had is in selling accesories (sold an air intake kit and Superchip in a Ford forum prior to selling my F150 because I knew those items wouldn't add as much value to the entire vehicle compared to selling them individually). Selling cars in those forums was a challenge for me because most members already had the kind of car I was selling.

Allie Holcomb
12-11-06, 02:02 PM
Since you know bmw's, what should a 2000 bwm 323i 4dr, leather/sunroof, good condition with 87k miles, 1 owner, go for around? 9-10k?

In reference to figuring out what to ask, why don't you just go to Edmunds.com and put in all your car's stats. It was pretty accurate on my last car's info. Another starting point is to take it to Carmax and see what they'd offer you for it, but edmunds is pretty right on the money for selling prices, imo.

deltbear
12-11-06, 02:50 PM
www.bimmerfest.com

We sold our 2001 330i with 50k miles on it to a Nissan dealership for 19k. My dad is a lawyer, what can I say. Not bad for a trade in.