PDA

View Full Version : Vitek's

godblesstx
12-11-06, 12:48 PM
Anybody heard that Bill is closing the place down on December 22? I'm just trying to get confirmation.

CammoTX
12-11-06, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure he closes down for a few weeks every holiday.

godblesstx
12-11-06, 12:51 PM
I heard from a student who talked to him recently that this is for good.

CammoTX
12-11-06, 12:52 PM
I heard from a student who talked to him recently that this is for good.

I really hope not.

If it's true, I wonder how much he wants for it?

Stranger
12-11-06, 01:02 PM
He and Mrs. Billl are retiring. He has hinted that he has buyers, but last I heard a deal hadn't been made.

godblesstx
12-11-06, 01:07 PM
Stranger -- that is exactly what I have heard as well.

Sweet Gut Pack, I will miss you.

Wacoso
12-11-06, 01:10 PM
Stranger,

What is his asking price?

BearChick
12-11-06, 01:15 PM
We'd heard that someone had bought it. Wacoso's serious in wanting to know the asking price. Been trying to find it out for a while, but stopped digging for the price when we'd heard it'd been sold. Any info. would be helpful.

godblesstx
12-11-06, 01:20 PM
At one point there was a banker in town interested in the purchase with a group of people.

CammoTX
12-11-06, 01:22 PM
Shoot, I'll go run it. Mr. Vitek has the greatest business hours known to man: 10:30 - 5:30, Monday through Friday, or whenever he cares to be there!

BearChick
12-11-06, 01:37 PM
At one point there was a banker in town interested in the purchase with a group of people.

There's also a group of Baylor fans who love tailgating and BBQ who are interested, ifyouknowwhatimeanandithinkyoumight.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
12-11-06, 01:38 PM
Wacoso, I'm sure you're better off calling Vitek's for the info than asking anyone on this board.

(254) 752-7591

BearChick
12-11-06, 01:41 PM
As usual, MSH comes through with style. :) I'll make sure W sees your post.

eastdallasloco
12-11-06, 01:44 PM
buy that sucker and keep it open on saturday.

Gaspergou
12-11-06, 02:00 PM
buy that sucker and keep it open on saturday.

No kiddin'. Lots of Baylor alums who'd love to eat there but don't because they live out of town and are usually only in Waco on the weekends for football/basketball/baseball games.

Gen. Washington
12-11-06, 02:29 PM
Pretty sure it is open on Homecoming, but I'd love to be able to get it every weekend I'm down there. I don't care how bad my heart hurts when I'm done.

Dean/Sharpton04
12-11-06, 02:45 PM
Continuing the story, the Vitek business will be moving into the forthcoming GWBush Presidential Library. It was part of the conditions set forth by the selection committee.

eastdallasloco
12-11-06, 02:45 PM
Pretty sure it is open on Homecoming, but I'd love to be able to get it every weekend I'm down there. I don't care how bad my heart hurts when I'm done.

i have never seen it open on a weekend ever. the only times i get to go nowadays are when im on my way to austin for the weekend.

Barely a prof
12-11-06, 02:49 PM
Speightoso's

I can see it now.

Just as I can see the "Speightoso's Tent" out at Floyd Casey. Givin ole Sammy a run for the brewski bucks.

Gen. Washington
12-11-06, 03:06 PM
I'm sure I ate there last year at Homecoming and thought some friends went this year at Homecoming. I didn't make it thanks to my George's breakfast.

Wacoso
12-11-06, 03:35 PM
If you do purchase Vitek's, please reverse engineer the Gut Pack to make sure it is precisely identical to its Legend. Also, consider being open on weekends (at least homecoming or parent's weekend).

1. Fritos
2. Beef
3. Beans
4. Onions/Jalapeno's
5. Sauce

What other order is there?

Gen. Washington
12-11-06, 03:38 PM
Are there beans in there too? Don't forget the sausage and pickles. I had a friend that used to get tomatoes in there too.

eastdallasloco
12-11-06, 03:39 PM
there are beans. pickles, peppers, onions and white or wheat. also horse meat or eckrich optional. never heard of tomatoes there.

piratestef
12-11-06, 03:40 PM
I don't think there are beans. Pickles and sausage are optional, but good.

If it's not as good as it is under the Vitek's, I'm gonna die.

This makes me want a Gut Pack right now.

godblesstx
12-11-06, 03:53 PM
First of all, unless somebody buys it in the next few weeks, Vitek's will be gone -- so until there is a deal, it is not good to talk about the place like its going to be around forever. All that does is make me sad.

Second, there are beans.

Third, if somebody DOES buy it, make sure you learn the secret to that unbelievable chopped brisket that Mrs. Bill keeps in that crock pot going.

piratestef
12-11-06, 04:17 PM
Yup. Correction: there are beans. Just got one, and yum.

Darn you, Gut Pack thread. Darn you all to heck!

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
12-11-06, 04:18 PM
If someone buys "Vitek's," then you'd darn sure better get all the recipes along with the trade name. Otherwise, you're just buying an old converted gas station for a new business, and you hardly need to pay top dollar for that.

Right?

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
12-11-06, 04:19 PM
PS. It's conceivable that Jack Chambers could pass on doing a story on OceanOso's. But there is no way under Pat Neff Hall's green-lit dome that he could pass on Vitek's by the Bay.

GoBearsGo
12-11-06, 04:23 PM
And you better get a non conpete with that so he doesn't open another on in town.

On a gut pack you must get all that they offer, jalapenos, sausage, beans meat, everything. Man I bet I still carry 20Lbs from those. Had a gut pack every thurs for about 2 years.

I would love one now, but hate to think how it tear me up. Man getting older sucks.

HillCountryBEAR
12-11-06, 04:27 PM
What is this place that is being spoken about and what is a gut pack? I seriously have no clue.

BearChick
12-11-06, 04:29 PM
PS. It's conceivable that Jack Chambers could pass on doing a story on OceanOso's. But there is no way under Pat Neff Hall's green-lit dome that he could pass on Vitek's by the Bay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Now, I don't want to tell you how to run your business, but..."

Wacoso
12-11-06, 04:42 PM

He wouldn't pass the free meal for him and the imaginary friend at either.

BaylorBabe
12-11-06, 04:42 PM
HCB - don't feel bad, I never went there when I was at Baylor either.

piratestef
12-11-06, 04:47 PM
What is this place that is being spoken about and what is a gut pack? I seriously have no clue.

HERESY!

Get thee to Waco tomorrow. Before 5:30. And there will be 'que.

ybbodeus
12-11-06, 05:37 PM
An institution.

Yogi
12-11-06, 05:41 PM
If I purchase the place, I am going to add some pool tables and dart boards and call it:

Bar-B-Cue's

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
12-11-06, 05:41 PM
He wouldn't pass the free meal for him and the imaginary friend at either.

Free nuthin'. A fella's gotta PAY Jack to eat at his place.

FuzzyBUMagnet
12-11-06, 06:09 PM
HillCountryBear,

Vitek's is this little barbecue joint that sits at the corner of Speight and 16th. It is really small, but there's always a line out the door. Everything is good, but people go there elmost exclusively for what they call the gutpack. It is legendary.

The base is fritos. It is topped with chopped brisket, beans, sauce, and a piece of bread. Optional ingredients are sausage (Eckrich, homemade, Jalapeno, or others), jalapenos (a must), onions, and pickles. It is heaven on earth, or, as a friend once said, a heart attack in a box. They're worth it, though.

My suggestion to you is that you find an excuse, ANY excuse to take a trip back to Waco to experience this before it dies.

Solan=Christ!!!
12-11-06, 07:18 PM
I would be really surprised if he closed up shop. My last chat with him (which was nearly 4 months ago) implied that wasn't going to happen in the near future.

groverbabyBU
12-11-06, 09:54 PM
Dangit, I never went to Vitek's when I was at Baylor. I think every time I passed it, Vitek's looked closed.

I think I'm deprived. If its still open in March, I'm planning to be in Waco, so I'll have to try to stop by.

BaylorGuy314
12-11-06, 10:04 PM
Truly great memories.

I'd heard that he was looking to sell. Had no idea that it was this close.

Trader Bear
12-11-06, 10:04 PM
It ain't over yet.

ATexBear
12-11-06, 10:10 PM
Talked to him the other day and he said he still doesn't have a solid buy yet but is getting closer. Also said no matter who it goes to he'll be around a lot of the time.

Yogi
12-11-06, 10:15 PM
I'll purchase a share or two.

It would be the coolest college town barbecue joint in the nation - a restaurant near the college actually owned in shares by various alumni.

Think we could turn the investment?

groverbabyBU
12-11-06, 10:16 PM
Talked to him the other day and he said he still doesn't have a solid buy yet but is getting closer. Also said no matter who it goes to he'll be around a lot of the time.
If Wacoso is interested, you might pass that along Atex.

godblesstx
12-12-06, 07:44 AM
I hope y'all are right, because he has also been quoted recently as saying that he is done for good in less than two weeks. I might have to leave work early in Dallas on the 22nd to get me one last gut pack.

Yogi
12-12-06, 07:53 AM
Save Vitek's!

JasonBU
12-12-06, 08:15 AM
Can someone confirm if the 22nd will be his last day?

If he will be closing shop for good, I will definitely have to drive down there on the 22nd for one last Gutpack.

Thank God that's my first day off for Christmas vacation.

Please advise.

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 09:20 AM
Could someone tell me what is in a Gut-Pack? thanks

FuzzyBUMagnet
12-12-06, 09:26 AM
check the previous page

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 09:35 AM
Well, learn something everyday. I always thought it was a bbq plate(big). This sounds like something I eat once a week, I call mine Frito-Pie w/ sausage. I don't have the meat in mine, but it is a heart attack in a bowl. I use Wolf Brand Chili.

BaylorGuy314
12-12-06, 09:48 AM
I'll be in Waco on Friday. I'll ask him. And get a gutpak. :lick:

Aray
12-12-06, 10:15 AM
I work with Billy's sister. I will find out what the deal is

The $
12-12-06, 10:46 AM
Latest I heard was that he had two guys that were going to buy it from him, but they thought he was asking too much. So the whole thing just fizzled out, and he's going to close. Either way, I"m about to go up there and get one final glorious gutpack before going home for Christmas.

CammoTX
12-12-06, 11:40 AM
Donnie, the sausage is amazing and the brisket is cooked to perfection.

You can also get Mexican cokes there (the ones made with real sugar) and homemade salsa.

Viteks is truly one of a kind.

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 11:46 AM

You can also get Mexican cokes there (the ones made with real sugar) and homemade salsa.

Viteks is truly one of a kind.Like Dublin Dr Peppers? I think I have been to this place, just been alot of years.

CammoTX
12-12-06, 11:49 AM
Like Dublin Dr Peppers? I think I have been to this place, just been alot of years.

yessir!

I had a friend who went there every day he woke up hungover. Mr Vitek knew him by heart and always hooked him up because he knew he had a splitting headache and needed some good food to get going with the day :lol:

It is on I-35 on the Baylor side of the freeway close to 18th street I believe.

BearChick
12-12-06, 01:05 PM

Viteks is truly one of a kind.

You can also get Mexican Cokes in BC's garage. Wacoso bought me a flat of them one day as a present. I love my sweetie.

Solan=Christ!!!
12-12-06, 01:23 PM
yessir!

I had a friend who went there every day he woke up hungover. Mr Vitek knew him by heart and always hooked him up because he knew he had a splitting headache and needed some good food to get going with the day :lol:

It is on I-35 on the Baylor side of the freeway close to 18th street I believe.

Where Speight meets the access road near 18th and I-35.

Mmmm.

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 01:32 PM
Where Speight meets the access road near 18th and I-35.

Mmmm.Is it beside where the old Harley store use to be?

eastdallasloco
12-12-06, 01:35 PM
pretty much. its the just past cupps. its been there for as long as i remember. my first visit was in 92 or 93. i always liked to go in and get bills take on bu football. during steele i asked him if we were ever gonna be good again and he said its a shame what theyve done to this program.

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 01:47 PM
Cupps, yum, now there's a thread all it's own.

92-93, man I'm talking 70's:lol:

eastdallasloco
12-12-06, 02:13 PM
my memories of waco in the 70s pretty much consist of lake air mall, cox's and dr pepper. also campus during the homecoming parade.

Wacoso
12-12-06, 02:15 PM
My dad grew up on 12th and Bagby. Told me to never go to Cupp's. I never did. Vitek's on the other hand. I think I went at least twice a week one semester.

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 02:18 PM
Cupp's had a great big CFS. It came on one plate, and the fries were on another.

eastdallasloco
12-12-06, 02:19 PM
My dad grew up on 12th and Bagby. Told me to never go to Cupp's. I never did. Vitek's on the other hand. I think I went at least twice a week one semester.

same here. noboby ever told me not to go to cupps but i just never went there. the people that worked there looked like the banjo kid in deliverance. i would however, go to viteks at least twice a week.

BearTooth
12-12-06, 02:24 PM
My Great Uncle was a physician in Waco when I attended BU. He had me over for dinner the first week I was there and told me the same thing.

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 02:24 PM
In the 70's in Waco, everyone looked like that.

Wacoso
12-12-06, 02:27 PM
That's why you moved to Elm Mott?

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 02:29 PM
Never moved, born there. I went to Cupp's alot in the 70's It is funny what you guys are saying. If it's been there nearly 40 years, must be ok.

GGBaylor01
12-12-06, 02:34 PM
Save Viteks!!

LIB,MR BEARS
12-12-06, 02:46 PM
Never moved, born there. I went to Cupp's alot in the 70's It is funny what you guys are saying. If it's been there nearly 40 years, must be ok.
My dad grew up in the neighborhood and would eat at Cup's back then. He is in his 70's now. He used to work at Diamond's across the street and would walk across the street to Cup's to eat. The same family owns it now that had it then.

FuzzyBUMagnet
12-12-06, 03:19 PM
I talked to Bill today, and he said that they are trying to sell it, but that it's not true that they're closing for good. He told me himself that they plan to open back up next semester (they take a Christmas vacation when all the students do). This is great news to everything but my heart.

BaylorGuy314
12-12-06, 03:38 PM
I talked to Bill today, and he said that they are trying to sell it, but that it's not true that they're closing for good. He told me himself that they plan to open back up next semester (they take a Christmas vacation when all the students do). This is great news to everything but my heart.

This is good to hear.

cletus
12-12-06, 03:38 PM
Is Cupps still open? The old lady at the register maybe had a total of 3 teeth.

Yogi
12-12-06, 04:56 PM
Is Cupps still open? The old lady at the register maybe had a total of 3 teeth.

What's worse is that she actually lost them while dancing at the Showtime Club.

BaylorGuy314
12-12-06, 05:03 PM

Rough.

Trader Bear
12-12-06, 05:04 PM
One of them she got in exchange for a table dance at the Showtime.

Yogi
12-12-06, 06:26 PM
Rough.

I think she was giving Bear a lap dance at the time...

Bankerbear
12-12-06, 06:52 PM
If I purchase the place, I am going to add some pool tables and dart boards and call it:

Bar-B-Cue's

that would be a nice way to frame it!

Ross Speight
12-12-06, 06:55 PM
Cupps, yum, now there's a thread all it's own.

92-93, man I'm talking 70'syou got it. i used to eat at cupp's and vitek's in the 70's when I was going to University High.

That's right. I'm a townie. Kiss my ass.

Bankerbear
12-12-06, 07:05 PM
a few weeks ago I stopped by and Bill said he was closing on the 22nd -- and had the days counted out on his calendar. Today I stopped by and he said he was still planning on closing at that time (this is contreidictory to what he told someone else per thier earlier post).

Today, I had a gut pack -- all the way -- in honor of my sons who are miffed that they did not get that last time - and know it was the last time- at Viteks. I am thinking about buying a brisket or two - some sliced and some chopped and some of his homemade sausage ---- and freezing it until the boys (and thier families) arrive late on Christmas day. Gut Packs for Christmas dinner --- could be a new tradition.

I first went to Viteks in 1974. At that time, he would cut a sirloin to the thickness you desired and you could even buy your baking potatos there. A quick stop at Ghetto-heb for some french style green beans and a can of mushroom soup, lettuce and stuff for a salad --- grill the steaks on the grill we purchased with S&H green stamps. The right record spinning. All at #29 Quad. Now that was a date ---- just ask Sue Briscoe!

The gut packs are famous but the sliced beef sandwiches are the best! The ham and cheese (red rind Wisconsin) is pretty tasty.

Why and how is his white bread so fresh? You can't get it that good right off the truck--

piratestef
12-12-06, 07:49 PM

I don't think Cupp's is still open. Every time I've driven by there, it looks closed.

Ross Speight
12-12-06, 07:55 PM
a few weeks ago I stopped by and Bill said he was closing on the 22nd -- and had the days counted out on his calendar. Today I stopped by and he said he was still planning on closing at that time (this is contreidictory to what he told someone else per thier earlier post).

Today, I had a gut pack -- all the way -- in honor of my sons who are miffed that they did not get that last time - and know it was the last time- at Viteks. I am thinking about buying a brisket or two - some sliced and some chopped and some of his homemade sausage ---- and freezing it until the boys (and thier families) arrive late on Christmas day. Gut Packs for Christmas dinner --- could be a new tradition.

I first went to Viteks in 1974. At that time, he would cut a sirloin to the thickness you desired and you could even buy your baking potatos there. A quick stop at Ghetto-heb for some french style green beans and a can of mushroom soup, lettuce and stuff for a salad --- grill the steaks on the grill we purchased with S&H green stamps. The right record spinning. All at #29 Quad. Now that was a date ---- just ask Sue Briscoe!

The gut packs are famous but the sliced beef sandwiches are the best! The ham and cheese (red rind Wisconsin) is pretty tasty.

Why and how is his white bread so fresh? You can't get it that good right off the truck--gdammit... how bout those hot links.... my best friend in high school worked for him. Bill's mom wore a white glove on her left hand to take money and give change. She told my friend, "I won't touch that dirty money with my bare hand." She lived on the corner of Speight and Richter, not too far from where I grew up. I think about her when I pass that house to this day.

Damn.

Felinus Maximus
12-12-06, 08:07 PM
Now where will I get a hot hot link with jalapeno cheese, barbecue sauce and Tabasco on white? 21 years after I finished grad school and Billy still would yell, "Fat Cat!" when I walked in the door! Man, I'm gonna miss that. God bless you, Billy Vitek!

Ross Speight
12-12-06, 08:24 PM
How bout that Donald Duck voice he'd go into while slicing and building your sandwich?

Damn.

cletus
12-12-06, 08:28 PM

The mental image of that is one I will take to my grave.

Stranger
12-12-06, 09:58 PM

Why and how is his white bread so fresh? You can't get it that good right off the truck--

So how about it, Bankerbear . . . . . did Billy say there was any chance somebody else might be buying him out? He told me a few weeks back that he might be sticking around some to help the new owner out. Did that deal fall apart?

Does anybody but me remember when he and his dad actually sold groceries in there, not just sandwiches?

Solan=Christ!!!
12-12-06, 10:30 PM
He usually closes for Christmas. Did he say he was closing for good?

Santa Claus
12-13-06, 01:58 AM
Can someone leave Santa a Gut Pack for once? All those cookies get pretty dull after a while, plus Santa loves some good sausage.

groverbabyBU
12-13-06, 06:23 AM
All those cookies get pretty dull after a while, plus Santa loves some good sausage.
Sounds like a new sig for someone... :lol:

Yogi
12-13-06, 08:59 AM
Can someone leave Santa a Gut Pack for once? All those cookies get pretty dull after a while, plus Santa loves some good sausage.

http://www.queermusicheritage.us/DEC2003/santaflg.jpg

Hornfan
12-13-06, 03:35 PM
My dad grew up in the neighborhood and would eat at Cup's back then. He is in his 70's now. He used to work at Diamond's across the street and would walk across the street to Cup's to eat. The same family owns it now that had it then.

No, they don't. Flo bought it from Mr. Cupp. When Flo died, Betty, the "old lady at the register with 3 teeth" bought it and still runs it. She is only open until about 2PM now.
Still the best fries and steakfingers on the planet.

Yogi
12-13-06, 06:53 PM
No, they don't. Flo bought it from Mr. Cupp. When Flo died, Betty, the "old lady at the register with 3 teeth" bought it and still runs it. She is only open until about 2PM now.

Do you mean to tell me that she had to sell her grill in order to buy the grill?

PA.

Hornfan
12-14-06, 08:43 AM
Do you mean to tell me that she had to sell her grill in order to buy the grill?

PA.

:lol: :lol:

godblesstx
12-26-06, 09:18 AM
I went down to Vitek's on Friday for Bill's last day.

Yes, he is done and retired now -- that is directly from his mouth. However, he told me that Vitek's will open up again next year and he is currently in talks with some prospective buyers. I got the impression that it will reopen in the meantime (in January) with somebody else running the show even if a deal isn't done yet.

Just thought some of the posters who were curious a few weeks ago would like to know.

I was happy to get my large gut pack from the man himself on his last official day running the place.

Yogi
12-26-06, 10:21 AM
I went by there yesterday. Of course, it was closed.

Could use a fresh coat of paint.

Sounds like a Steppin' Out project if there ever was one. ;)

OsoCoreyell
12-26-06, 11:11 AM
For the love of Mike, Trader and Wacoso! Buy the friggin' thing!!!! I will guarantee you a purchase of at least one gutpack every time I'm in town and as many mail order smoked brisquets as you can ship.

I swear if I wake up and read about a bunch of Aggies owning Viteks I may lose my mind.

Big12Bear
01-03-07, 09:49 PM
I went down to Vitek's on Friday for Bill's last day.

Yes, he is done and retired now -- that is directly from his mouth. However, he told me that Vitek's will open up again next year and he is currently in talks with some prospective buyers. I got the impression that it will reopen in the meantime (in January) with somebody else running the show even if a deal isn't done yet.

Any update?

Knight Bear
01-03-07, 10:11 PM

Paper thin hamburgers pounded out right in front of you...

COLD Dr. Pepper out of the bottle or (better yet) over finely crushed ice out of those old red/yellow/clear plastic cups that you could get out of oatmeal cans...

My grandparents used to own a cafe in Ralls, Texas (just east of Lubbock) that really reminded me of Cupps. Not that Flo or Betty (or Betty's son/grandson?) could come close to my MaMaw's cooking, but still delicious.

Flo opened basically a "Cupp's" 2 called (surprise!) FLO'S back when I was at Baylor off Hwy 6 past Richland Mall in a strip center. I think it was next to a grocery store.

My memories of Vitek's were good, but I guess I wasn't as devoted to them as I was Cupp's. I like my BBQ plain or with sauce. No Gut Pack for me...

Yogi
01-05-07, 12:12 PM
I would much rather dine at "Cupps" than "Flo's".

That's just nasty...

Trader Bear
01-05-07, 01:40 PM
Overheard a couple of guys talking about about having lunch with Bill and buying the place....

Bexar Fan
01-05-07, 01:44 PM
Talking about about having lunch with Bill, or talking about having had lunch with Bill?

.....and do we know them?

Trader Bear
01-05-07, 01:50 PM
In no particular order: maybe, yes, no.

Bexar Fan
01-05-07, 02:00 PM
Ok, wishfull thinking continues.

TheRadvocate
01-05-07, 02:53 PM
we must be talking about a different cupps ... eventhough it had my favorite Chili cheeseburger in town the fries where bad ... soggy (as in wet) and not cooked all the way through ... it was the one great flaw at cupps - terrible fries ...

Big12Bear
01-05-07, 02:54 PM
it was the one great flaw at cupps - terrible fries ...

That's where Kitok's comes in. :lick:

BearChick
01-05-07, 03:53 PM

Tried to go to Kitok's not long ago. They were closed. Sad day. Wound up (finally) at Health Camp instead.

Wacoso
01-05-07, 04:13 PM

Kitok's is done. Man that ran it died, then his wife died soon after, then the sister took it over and passed as well. Sad day when my parents told me such. Hoping that my parents were smoking some crack when they told me this.

Yogi
01-05-07, 04:20 PM
The man passed away years ago. I wasn't aware that the wife (Kitok) had died. That's unfortunate. She was friends with my grandmother. I'll have to ask her about it.

Man, I could use a liplocker right now with oriental fries...

Big12Bear
01-05-07, 04:31 PM
Kitok's is done. Man that ran it died, then his wife died soon after, then the sister took it over and passed as well. Sad day when my parents told me such. Hoping that my parents were smoking some crack when they told me this.

I had no idea. Say it ain't so!

Tiny Elvis
01-06-07, 12:12 AM
No kidding, I'll miss that place!

n8dawgbu
01-06-07, 12:25 AM
It is true about Kitoks, loved the liplocker, and even the double liplocker, but I could never get into the oriental fries. The regular fries were great. Something about Waco just kills good restraunts. There was a little bar with great food over by Barry's coffe shop, it was called Cadillac Jacks, boasted the longest bar in Texas, and had great queso and burgers, it was closed within a year, i think. Sucks.

Wacoso
01-06-07, 12:39 AM
Cadillac Jacks was weird in that it had plenty to offer, but none of it seemed to be offered. The stage in the back was always empty as were the seats.

Waymond Bear1
01-06-07, 01:04 AM
Dammit, George's has good queso. And CFS. and big os'. Cadillac Jacks didn't survuive because of competition adn the fact that I get hammmered every time I visit Waymond Son1 there. woooooooooooo shinerontap, *****e.

Waymond Bear1
01-06-07, 01:05 AM
well, OK , meidocre queso but it has meat and meat is bueno. I LOBE MEATY QUESO. F it. and it pairs well with a shiner, vintage 2006. yay man.

Hometown Bear
01-11-07, 09:25 AM
It is true about Kitoks, loved the liplocker, and even the double liplocker, but I could never get into the oriental fries. The regular fries were great. Something about Waco just kills good restraunts. There was a little bar with great food over by Barry's coffe shop, it was called Cadillac Jacks, boasted the longest bar in Texas, and had great queso and burgers, it was closed within a year, i think. Sucks.

Kitok's is open and still run by the same family. They always close for about a month during the year, usually early to mid-Fall. They are closed on Mondays, but open at least Tuesday-Friday as I drive by it at least once every day as I work on that side of town.

Yesterday, Wednesday, Jan 10th, I picked up a burger and oriental fries to go. The parking lot was full and people were crowded around the register waiting for a table to open.

Gaspergou
01-11-07, 09:29 AM
Kitok's is open and still run by the same family. They always close for about a month during the year, usually early to mid-Fall. They are closed on Mondays, but open at least Tuesday-Friday as I drive by it at least once every day as I work on that side of town.

Yesterday, Wednesday, Jan 10th, I picked up a burger and oriental fries to go. The parking lot was full and people were crowded around the register waiting for a table to open.

Oh, man, that is a relief.

eastdallasloco
01-11-07, 09:34 AM
i love me some kitoks oriental fries and liplocker

Yogi
01-11-07, 10:06 AM
Awesome.

Yogi's Bro: mark it down: lunch at Kitok's on Saturday...

piratestef
01-11-07, 10:24 AM
I still need to try Kitok's, but right now I'm missing Vitek's the most. Have they opened back up yet?

BearChick
01-11-07, 10:27 AM
Stef, Vitek's is closed until Bill finds a buyer.

I know some folks who are interested and I think it may reopen in the early spring timeframe, if all works out.

In the meantime, I am relieved to hear Kitok's is still open. Whew.

WacoGone
01-11-07, 11:02 AM
Wacoso, tell your folks to put down that crack pipe!

piratestef
01-11-07, 12:20 PM
Stef, Vitek's is closed until Bill finds a buyer.

I know some folks who are interested and I think it may reopen in the early spring timeframe, if all works out.

In the meantime, I am relieved to hear Kitok's is still open. Whew.

"Know some" or "are married to?" PA.

BearChick
01-11-07, 01:12 PM
"Know some" or "are married to?" PA.

I know someone, in a Biblical sense, who would love to own a barbeque restaurant, if that's what you're getting at.

That said, he has commitments in Galveston which prohibit a move to Waco.

Solan=Christ!!!
01-11-07, 01:18 PM
I already live here, BC.

Ooooooh, that guy.

BearChick
01-11-07, 02:05 PM
I am so telling your wife that she's going to have to watch your meds better. :)

Solan=Christ!!!
01-11-07, 02:22 PM
I'm addicted to placebos.

I'd try to quit, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference.

HillCountryBEAR
01-11-07, 02:25 PM

BrooksBearLives
01-12-07, 10:12 AM
One of them she got in exchange for a table dance at the Showtime.
okay, between you and Yogi's last post, I sprayed coke in my office, and then choked on my next drink.

thanks, fellas.

BrooksBearLives
01-12-07, 10:13 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm stealing that.

and goign to be smug about it.

WacoGone
01-12-07, 10:26 AM

Solan! You stole that from me! (and yes, I stole it from someone else). I posted that here weeks ago...and no one even noticed. :cry:

Here:

http://baylorfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1813502&postcount=3122

I think that's a HILARIOUS bon mot. :lol:

BrooksBearLives
01-12-07, 11:04 AM
Solan! You stole that from me! (and yes, I stole it from someone else). I posted that here weeks ago...and no one even noticed. :cry:

Here:

On the subject of stealing jokes, I heard this on NPR the other day:
http://216.35.221.77/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6768724

Or better yet, you can listen to it:
http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/audioplayer.php?prgCode=ATC&showDate=09-Jan-2007&segNum=8

piratestef
01-12-07, 11:25 AM
Jokes are nice and all, but can someone break in and steal me a gut pack? TIA.

Solan=Christ!!!
01-12-07, 12:04 PM

Here:

Yup. That's what I do. Steal other people's wit and humor to make me look better. ;)

WacoGone
01-12-07, 12:55 PM
Yup. That's what I do. Steal other people's wit and humor to make me look better. ;)
Well, any time I can help out with someone else's wit and humor, just let me know.

ybbodeus
01-12-07, 01:13 PM
Jokes are nice and all, but can someone break in and steal me a gut pack? TIA.

And could someone ELSE break in there and place a bet for me? Thanks. Pats and the under.

BHJ
01-12-07, 01:14 PM
i javvn't placed me bets yet...........

i may go chalk. hope on 3/4.

hmmmm......

- jimmy the pig*

Trader Bear
01-12-07, 02:04 PM
This is a Vitek's/BBQ thread. Please respect the greatness that is Vitek's and refrain from extraneous commentary.

ybbodeus
01-12-07, 03:24 PM

Request Trader's permission to revise, but not extend, my remarks. I don't want a Ybbotolstoy comment from BHJ, since he's on this thread, too, now.

sicem530
04-20-07, 03:58 PM
BUMP

I just drove by Vitek's no more than 15 minutes ago....glorious day, 4 cars parked in front of the building with a card board box sign on the door that read "opening soon." Get excited, gutpacks are back!!

piratestef
04-20-07, 04:00 PM
BUMP

I just drove by Vitek's no more than 15 minutes ago....glorious day, 4 cars parked in front of the building with a card board box sign on the door that read "opening soon." Get excited, gutpacks are back!!

You, sir, are a god among men for posting this.

Praise be to Vitek's! All hail the gutpack!

--forgot to eat today, dagnabbit.

BU GW
04-21-07, 01:08 AM
I talked to Mrs. Vitek today. She says sometime in May. They were doing some catering tonight for a school function.

rrtxoso
04-24-07, 06:39 PM
Vitek’s to re-open
Vitek’s is coming back.
The legendary barbecue joint at Speight Avenue and the Interstate 35 frontage road has been closed several months.
I’ve been swamped with e-mails from concerned fans who couldn’t picture life without a Gut Pack from Vitek’s — that being a combination of Fritos, cheese, chopped beef, pickles, onions, peppers and sausage.
(And if you doubt the popularity of the Gut Pack, look up Vitek’s and Gut Pack on the Internet and read the responses.)
Anyway, owner Billy Vitek, 64, who closed the place, kept telling me he might reopen Vitek’s.
He won’t, but his family will. Daughter Julie Vitek Keith and son Eric Vitek have agreed to take over the operation.
Julie and Billy’s wife, Susan, were working at Vitek’s Friday afternoon, preparing for the crowds that will greet its return. But Julie said she doesn’t yet know when she’ll ring the lunch bell.
Her best guess is “in a month or two.”
Vitek’s has been selling barbecue in Waco since 1913. Billy and Susan Vitek have operated the business since 1972.
Waco wouldn’t be the same without it.
mcopeland@wacotrib.com

http://www.wacotrib.com/hp/content/business/stories/2007/04/22/04222007wacbizcolumn.html

Yogi
04-24-07, 06:49 PM
BaylorFans/ Vitek's Day

When do you want to do this?

Let me know so I can come up.