PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio for New Year's

TXBear96
12-11-06, 02:57 PM
We are spending the weekend in SA from Sat through Jan 2. Any suggestions...I am taking several people that are from Louisiana, and I need places to take them around the river walk. They like good bars and good mexican food. Also, I heard there was a good Italian restaurant on the river, but I don't know the name.

eastdallasloco
12-11-06, 03:01 PM
its been my experience that there isnt really any good mex down there and the bars are kinda lame.

BearChick
12-11-06, 03:11 PM
For Mexican, I like Jacala. Long live the Puffy Taco.

Solan=Christ!!!
12-11-06, 07:26 PM
Long live the Puffy Taco.

Indeed.

Ahem.

;)

l8toneius
12-11-06, 07:30 PM
pizano's is the good italian place. take em to howl at the moon. its a good piano bar.

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 08:30 PM
It's Paesano's and you have to get the shrimp paesano!

Coyote Ugly, Howl at the Moon, Pat O'Brien's, Durty Nelly's, Dick's Last Resort, and others are fun bars. Zinc is among the other nicer bars.

For Mexican food, stay away from the Riverwalk. Even my once favorite Rosario's not far from the Riverwalk has gone downhill.

If you need a place to stay, bid on 4 stars on the Riverwalk using Priceline and you'll likely get the Westin. Great hotel with a pretty nice bar to boot.

While in SA if there is some shopping that needs to get done, take your wives to the Shops at La Cantera. Very nice shops.

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 08:32 PM
Henry's Puffy Taco - the original puffy taco. There was a show on the Food Network about the origin of the puffy taco. It was actually pretty cool. The puffy taco was originally an accident here in SA. What a great accident! Mmmmmm!

BHJ
12-11-06, 11:12 PM
paesanos is ok when someone else pays........

....... otherwise i dont need to shell out $25 for three shrimp.

honestly, it was a cool place back when it was one small dining room on main or wherever it was.

now it's just an overblown, increasingly mediocre, too expensive relic.

Yogi
12-11-06, 11:19 PM
I can't wait to see Santa rolling down Commerce in his lowrider...

SoTexBear
12-12-06, 05:16 AM
paesanos is ok when someone else pays........

....... otherwise i dont need to shell out $25 for three shrimp.

honestly, it was a cool place back when it was one small dining room on main or wherever it was.

now it's just an overblown, increasingly mediocre, too expensive relic.

I can't say that I disagree. I've eaten there a dozen times...and have paid once.

IF you do go there, get something with the Paesano's sauce. Even if just the chicken.

There are now three locations: Riverwalk, The Quarry, and 1604 near Bitters.

TXBear96
12-12-06, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I really don't want to stay on the riverwalk the entire time we are there. Any cool bars in the Alamo Heights area? Have not been there in a while. We are staying at the Wyndham hotel.

Yogi
12-12-06, 09:48 AM
Rebar is near Alamo Heights.

But I really am not a patron there.

Might look down by the Broadway 50/50.

HillCountryBEAR
12-12-06, 09:54 AM
How about Earl Abel's???? class,.................HCB style.

You stay classy San Antonio!

Yogi
12-12-06, 09:56 AM
How about Earl Abel's???? class,.................HCB style.

You stay classy San Antonio!

It's now located off Austin Highway in Terrell Hills.

They bulldozed the original Earl Abel's to make way for a 25-story condo. :(

HillCountryBEAR
12-12-06, 10:38 AM
It's now located off Austin Highway in Terrell Hills.

They bulldozed the original Earl Abel's to make way for a 25-story condo. :(

Another reason to hate condos!! Such a fine classy establishment lost to a bunch of metrosexual yuppies. :upset:

I thought they had closed down completely. I'm glad to hear that it's still around, atleast in some form or another. Too bad about losing the atmosphere. Stepping inside was like a time warp to the 1960s!

Yogi
12-12-06, 12:48 PM
Another reason to hate condos!! Such a fine classy establishment lost to a bunch of metrosexual yuppies. :upset:

I thought they had closed down completely. I'm glad to hear that it's still around, atleast in some form or another. Too bad about losing the atmosphere. Stepping inside was like a time warp to the 1960s!

Yeah, I enjoyed taking SA visitors over there.