PDA

View Full Version : Insights on Black Boots (ladies)

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 09:36 PM
This is aimed at the ladies on the board:

My wife wants nice black boots for Christmas. She wants them to be dressy, but not overdone. Just basic boots over the calf with a heel.

Since this is going to be her "main" Christmas gift, I want them to be boots that will last a long time and that she'll enjoy wearing. She's not flashy and could care less about name brands, but I want it to be quality.

Are there some brands you can recommend? Any other insights?

Grace Anne
12-11-06, 10:00 PM

My wife wants nice black boots for Christmas. She wants them to be dressy, but not overdone. Just basic boots over the calf with a heel.

Since this is going to be her "main" Christmas gift, I want them to be boots that will last a long time and that she'll enjoy wearing. She's not flashy and could care less about name brands, but I want it to be quality.

Is this a surprise gift? If not, two essential things to find out:
1.Heel height - anywhere from flat to 4 inches. Most women can't walk in 4 inches, so make sure about this before you buy them. Unless you think watching a woman wobble is funny. :)

2.Pointed, rounded, or square toe?

If it's a surprise, just keep the receipt and you can return them if she doesn't like them and doesn't wear them outside.

I don't see a link to copy images location anymore, but there are some on the macys.com web site if you search for "low boots." It's called Lauren Ralph Lauren "Elaya" Low Boot. These are nice boots.

I have some Enzo Angiolini boots that I like, but they are tall boots (meaning they come to your knee). Maybe if you search by that brand you might find a web site.

At last. Something I know a little bit about. :lol:

Pretty_N_Pink
12-11-06, 10:25 PM
I've tried on A LOT of boots and purchased a bunch, too. My favs are Nine West, Enzo and Naturalizer. Bandolinos aren't bad either. Nine West has a great variety and they're priced decent (about $150 or less for a pair like the ones you're looking for) and they're comfortable. They're not priced so high that if in a year, she doesn't like them, you haven't spent a ton of money. I have a couple pairs of Carlos Santana boots and love those as well. The Ann Taylor boots I purchased a few years ago still look great, feel good and are still in style. Anne Klein, Via Spigas and Ralph Lauren are two more to look into. I just bought some Anne Klein and Nine West boots and love them both.

Some places to look (besides your typical department stores): DSW, Shoebuy.com (free shipping and no tax - 20% coupon available), Zappos.com (I think they have free shipping and no tax as well.

Dillards and Nordstrom are good places to look if you're going to buy them in a department store.

Good luck.

Yogi
12-11-06, 10:28 PM
Sotex,

Your wife would look absolutely hot in a pair of those thigh-high, PVC...

Oh, these are not for you guys...

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 10:29 PM
Thanks, ladies.

She wants a high boot, not a low boot. Probably a 2-3" heel (she's 5'2").

SoTexBear
12-11-06, 10:30 PM
Yogi,

She already has a pair of tho...oh, nevermind.

BaylorBubbles
12-11-06, 10:33 PM
Also, if she's got skinny legs, you might consider a boot that's a little shorter (not heel height, but leather boot height) than others. Also, because she's a shorter woman, a shorter boot (calf-high, not those little bootie thingies) rather than a knee-high boot will make her legs look longer.

Yogi
12-11-06, 10:34 PM
Yogi,

She already has a pair of tho...oh, nevermind.

You are a good man, Sotex, and I salute you!

LadyOso
12-11-06, 10:34 PM
I just bought some Nine West boots at Macy's. They were on sale and I got them for less than half of their original price! They have some really good deals right now so I'd go there. I got the style Rannie. They're really comfortable, the heel's not too high, and they're nice enough for work.

Pretty_N_Pink
12-11-06, 10:35 PM
Thanks, ladies.

She wants a high boot, not a low boot. Probably a 2-3" heel (she's 5'2").

That's pretty much all I buy.

Just stay away from Steve Madden.

BHJ
12-11-06, 10:36 PM
..... and by all means avoid the 'shaneequa collection'.

Pretty_N_Pink
12-11-06, 10:39 PM
Cole Haan has some nice boots. They're anywhere from about $250-550/pair.

Also, if you get the pointy toe boots, you need to go a half-one size larger than normal.

Just make sure you get a gift receipt...

WacoGone
12-11-06, 10:52 PM

9 West and J Crew. This is from a woman who owns 10 pairs of black boots. Yes, 10.

piratestef
12-11-06, 11:53 PM
I think mine are Franco Sarto? I don't know, but I've liked them because the top's made of stretch leather instead of having a zipper. It took me a while to find any that would fit well without being too tight or too big around the calf, so just having stretchy stuff there works great.

Santa Claus
12-12-06, 01:22 AM
Ho, ho, ho...what say I skip the boots and knock boots instead? PA. Your wife's hot. Christmas gift for ole Santy? PA.

BaylorBabe
12-12-06, 09:05 AM
Nine West and Enzo are always good brands, and although I don't have Franco Sarto boots I have a couple pairs of shoes by him that I like.

Also, I love pointy toe shoes, but not so much in boots, I like the square toe better, but that's just personal (but it makes a difference).

DONNIE D
12-12-06, 09:51 AM
I'm really surprised no one has ask Want's. I just know this will hurt his feelings. He is the man when it comes to ladies foot-wear.

tommie
12-12-06, 10:12 AM
9 West and J Crew. This is from a woman who owns 10 pairs of black boots. Yes, 10.
I'd guess it's fair to say you know a thing or two about boot

knocking

Grace Anne
12-12-06, 10:48 AM
:lol: Well that's pretty much the end of serious advice, SoTex.

BearChick
12-12-06, 11:49 AM
I have a pair of black leather boots from Harold's. I have a narrow foot and all their shoes seem to fit me very well. The boot is a knee-height, 3" heel, pointy toe. I LOVE these and wear them all the time. In fact, I wore a hole in the sole last year and had them re-soled and re-heeled recently so I didn't have to buy another pair. I liked them so much that when I found a matching brown pair, I bought 'em. They are $300 boots that I got at the Harold's Barn in Austin for about $100.

That said, go with Nine West. They make great shoes, they hold up well, they usually have a lot of good styles. I'm 5'4" and I think the pointy toe makes me look taller. :) I also like about a 2.5-3" heel. Anything higher will make it hard to walk in and will give you serious foot fatigue if you have to wear it for anything more than an hour or two.

BHJ
12-12-06, 11:51 AM
pirelli. yokohama a close second. in a pinch, goodyear.

Pretty_N_Pink
12-12-06, 12:04 PM
Harold's does have good shoes. They have their own brand and carry Cole Haan as well. I've bought boots there before and bought a couple pairs of shoes there a couple months ago.

piratestef
12-12-06, 01:46 PM
Pointy toes do make the legs look longer. If she's short, go for something pointy (unless she really, really hates pointy toes for some reason).

Allie Holcomb
12-12-06, 08:29 PM
I recently purchased a pair of high black boots at DSW. They are Nine West and are genuine leather so they will last a long time. Make SURE they are real leather and not that fake stuff, b/c I found that some of the synthetic boots were just as expensive--odd! :)

WacoGone
12-12-06, 08:46 PM
I'd guess it's fair to say you know a thing or two about boot

knocking
Yes, and I have the offspring to prove it. :bow: