PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Ring Etiquette

BUBackr
12-14-06, 08:35 AM
Nobody is prouder than me of graduating from Baylor. In fact, I hold the honor of being the only person in my family to have graduated college at all, so it is particularly special, however, as I have grown older (I hit "not 39" in April), I am seeing fewer and fewer folks donning their grad ring as I still do proudly.

My question is, "Is there a time when a graduation ring should be retired?"

I've worn mine now for 17 years and the other day it hit me that I have almost been graduated longer than it took me to get graduated!

Thoughts? Should I retire it or keep displaying it proudly? :confused:

JETHRO
12-14-06, 08:45 AM
Do what you want. If you like the ring, wear it. If other people don't like it, that's their problem.

DONNIE D
12-14-06, 08:46 AM
I say wear it forever!!! I know a football star in his 40's, that still wears his college bowl ring from 1979.

El Oso
12-14-06, 08:48 AM
I wear mine everyday--which is more often than I wear my wedding ring

BearFan04
12-14-06, 08:59 AM
I never bought one. I needed the money more than the ring at the time, and I just never got around to purchasing one later. Can I still get one?

bobo
12-14-06, 09:05 AM
I never bought one. I needed the money more than the ring at the time, and I just never got around to purchasing one later. Can I still get one?

I am on my second ring. Go to Balfour.com (I think) or google Balfour. Then go to Baylor. Look at spending 350-500 or more for a good one.

eastdallasloco
12-14-06, 09:43 AM
i never got one either. i may go buy one someday. i guess it would be cool to have it.

cowboycwr
12-14-06, 09:46 AM
I wear it everyday and probably will for the rest of my life.

turk4037
12-14-06, 10:47 AM
I say wear it but when you die, don't have it buried with you. Give it to someone in your family that will appreciate it.

bearpreacher
12-14-06, 10:50 AM
Wear it daily proudly. The price was much greater than the $300 or so purchase price.

BaylorBabe
12-14-06, 10:58 AM
I liked the ceremony of getting the "official" Baylor ring but I just did not think the seal style ladies rings were that pretty, and the other looks too much like my high school ring for me personally. I got a round seal ring from Stanley and Weaver with emeralds and diamonds that I love. If I was a guy I would have gotten one of the official ones I think.

Solan=Christ!!!
12-14-06, 11:00 AM
It's my other wedding ring.

BearChick
12-14-06, 12:34 PM
I liked the ceremony of getting the "official" Baylor ring but I just did not think the seal style ladies rings were that pretty, and the other looks too much like my high school ring for me personally. I got a round seal ring from Stanley and Weaver with emeralds and diamonds that I love. If I was a guy I would have gotten one of the official ones I think.

Me, too, Babe. I love my round seal ring from S&W and I wear it often. You and I have the same ring. Had I been a guy, I would have gotten the official one, but I didn't like the "official" options for women.

NewsBruin
12-14-06, 12:46 PM
I worked way too hard to get my degree (because I was very lazy), so I wear my ring every day to remond me of what I accomplished. I don't imagine retiring it.

HotSauce
12-14-06, 01:02 PM
I don't like wearing any kind of jewelry so mine collects dust. But I'm glad I have one....it's a nice keepsake.

biggmatt24
12-14-06, 01:16 PM
Wear my ring everyday. I didn't like the looks of the official rings you get through Baylor. Too high-schooly for my taste with all the clutter on every side of the ring.

I bought mine at Mastercraft. A little more expensive than the Baylor rings, but I think the look is much cleaner. It just has the seal with a diamond inside the star at the center. Frequently get compliments and don't think it will be retired.

I've also told my nephew that when he graduates from Baylor I'll buy him a ring like mine(he's only 8).

ymbear
12-14-06, 01:54 PM
Only two pieces of jewlry I've ever wanted to wear: wedding ring and BU ring. Wear them both proudly every day. Don't ever plan to stop. And as the only school with the Republic's star solo on the seal, it shows state pride as well. Sic 'em.

GoBearsGo
12-14-06, 05:21 PM
Wear my ring everyday. I didn't like the looks of the official rings you get through Baylor. Too high-schooly for my taste with all the clutter on every side of the ring.

I bought mine at Mastercraft. A little more expensive than the Baylor rings, but I think the look is much cleaner. It just has the seal with a diamond inside the star at the center. Frequently get compliments and don't think it will be retired.

I've also told my nephew that when he graduates from Baylor I'll buy him a ring like mine(he's only 8).

I have the same one style Matt. The diamond is from my Dad's college ring and was in my grandmother's engagement ring from my dad's dad. I will take the diamond out when my son graduates from Baylor I hope (if I can afford the tuition on 16 years @ 100k per sememster) and give it to him for his ring, as long as it is not an A&M ring. I will not pay for nor support any of that aggie crap in my house.

groverbabyBU
12-14-06, 05:53 PM
Never got one, but would love to. Maybe someday. :)

Dorian Gray
12-14-06, 06:47 PM
Wear it until you get a Master's degree from a school that isn't so ate up with stupid politics and then wear THAT ring.

TheRadvocate
12-14-06, 06:49 PM
got one sitting in my dresser drawer - although I have rarely worn it ... not sure why - I guess it always felt a little 'aggie' to sport it frequently (no offense to those who wear it often - this a result of my misperception) ...

BUGWBBear
12-14-06, 08:11 PM
Been wearing mine for 20 years. No plans to stop anytime soon.

El Mariachi
12-14-06, 08:27 PM
I wear mine all the time. I even get comments about it like "I have never seen a Baylor ring." or "I thought only aggies wore college rings." I politely explain to them that aggies don't have a monopoly or a trademark on college rings...they just beat off to it and publicize their fascination with it. It just reminds me how stupid the general population is.

I wear mine as a symbol of my love for Baylor. And it will serve as proof that I am not a T-Shirt fan whenever our basketball and football teams reach greatness and everyone will start to be Baylor "fans". ;)

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
12-14-06, 10:00 PM
I remember one of those hilarious "Hollywood's Dress for Success" tips from a decade ago. One of the things they said was no longer "in" was wearing your college ring. I figured the article was probably written by some jackleg who never earned his college degree.

For the record, I plan on wearing my Baylor ring until the day that I die.

RD2 :headache:

cowboycwr
12-15-06, 09:33 AM
I remember one of those hilarious "Hollywood's Dress for Success" tips from a decade ago. One of the things they said was no longer "in" was wearing your college ring. I figured the article was probably written by some jackleg who never earned his college degree.

For the record, I plan on wearing my Baylor ring until the day that I die.

RD2 :headache:

My ring has still been one of the first things noticed in several interviews. On several occasions it has cause the interview to start off with a discussion about Baylor instead of a question/answer session.

Wood
12-15-06, 09:43 AM
Once I get it resized I'll continue to wear mine daily. I have one of the bright gold ones (14K I think, set me back $500)... anyone know where I could get it resized, either in Waco or DFW, for a relatively low cost?

NewsBruin
12-15-06, 12:34 PM
If you ordered it from Balfour, I think they're insured against resizing and theft.

REvansBU71
12-15-06, 01:20 PM
I graduated in 1971, and just glanced at my ring (on my finger) as I was typing this. Do what you want with yours, but mine symbolizes something great about my life, and I'll never be without it.

BrooksBearLives
12-15-06, 02:32 PM
I'm only the second male in my entire family to graduate from college, and the first one to get a secondary degree. Both were from Baylor.

I hate jewelry and diamonds/materialism. But I love this ring. It's probably my most valued posession and I like to think that its the only thing I'd miss if I lost everything I had. And its because my father bought it for me, and flew all the way down from Illinois to watch me get it.

I'll wear it til the day I die.

Also, I work at an Aggie school and constanly get comments on how nice my ring is (begrudging, usually).

Classic 14K gold, diamond, no antique finish. Looks classy as hell. ESPECIALLY right after I clean it with an old toothbrush.

deltbear
12-15-06, 02:32 PM
Does anyone have a picture of their ring? Especially one of you football players that went to a bowl game, that would be cool. Bueller... Bueller..