PDA

View Full Version : Mustang, say it ain't so!

Pilot0287
12-15-06, 01:04 AM
Ford wants to make a Mustang stationwagon... God help us.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/14/mustang_wagons/index.html

BUGWBBear
12-15-06, 07:06 AM
It'll go away quicker than the Edsel.

GoldenBear03
12-15-06, 07:07 AM
Mustang's are cheap anyway. Buy a Vette.

Bexar Fan
12-15-06, 07:55 AM
Next up......

.......a Mustang stretch limo!

JasonBU
12-15-06, 07:57 AM
Mustangs have sucked for years anyway. The car has become the official dorkmobile.

BearFan04
12-15-06, 08:49 AM
Looks like Ford's about to execute a finishing move on its stock.

FATALITY!!!!!

BigFerg
12-15-06, 10:18 AM
Somebody in Development has been hitting the Mustang History books at Ford. They introduced a wagon and sedan back in 1965.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/wagon/EstateWagon.jpg

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/sedan/FourDoor.jpg

The Mustang wagon even made the cover of Car and Driver on October of 1966: http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database/cdwagon.jpg

As a Mustang fanatic I'm not opposed to the wagon if done right. I don't think the car is suited for a sedan. I have owned three Mustangs and plan on getting more in the future.

BaylorGuy314
12-15-06, 12:38 PM
A Mustang station wagon is an absolutely retarded idea. People back then drove station wagons. People today don't.

Ford is screwed up. I like the Mustang a lot. They finally moved it back to a man's car after pussifying it for decades.

That being said, they want to create a product that will lure people away from other sports cars, but then make a station wagon version? All you're going to do is distant your product (station wagon version or regular) from the primary market- teens and young adults.

The US car companies are brilliant. :rolleyes:

NewsBruin
12-15-06, 12:43 PM
So a Mustang SUV is all good, because you can take your kids to singing lessons without feeling like you're a parent in an station wagon?

Oh, and you're being a safe parent in an SUV.

DONNIE D
12-16-06, 03:23 PM
Mustangs have sucked for years anyway. The car has become the official dorkmobile.Since his brother has already posted on this topic, I'm waiting on one BIG man from the Temple/Belton/Killeen area, to put you NOW in your place.

Here he comes in 3....2....1:lol:

Texas Golfer
12-16-06, 09:43 PM
I've had 4 Mustangs. '66, '80, '85, and '05. I've always like them but I'll get rid of my '05 convertable very quickly if they go to a Mustang station wagon or SUV.

BaylorGuy314
12-16-06, 11:13 PM
I've had 4 Mustangs. '66, '80, '85, and '05. I've always like them but I'll get rid of my '05 convertable very quickly if they go to a Mustang station wagon or SUV.

See?

Like I said above, if Ford does this, the Mustang identity will become very...confusing.

Is a teen car? A soccer mom's car? A young adult car? An old person who wants to be young car?

Hard to argue it's a teen or young adult car when there is a station wagon version of it.
Hard to argue it's an old person's car when it gets mediocre gas mileage, has mediocre passenger room, and fewer than normal creature comforts.

If anything, Ford needs to simplify. Make a statement to say Mustang=fast & youthful.

Take everything about the Mustang, put a different fascia on it, add some more leg room and creature comforts, and make that the station wagon under a different name. If it's a flop, at least it won't hurt the Mustang's identity.

Texas Golfer
12-17-06, 12:13 AM
What's next? A Corvette station wagon? Whew. It's a good thing I got rid of my 'vette last year.

groverbabyBU
12-17-06, 07:58 AM
I'll take it! :lol:

Texas Golfer
12-17-06, 09:13 AM
I'll take it! :lol:

I'll even drive it to you for a philly cheesesteak.

groverbabyBU
12-17-06, 11:42 AM
I'll even drive it to you for a philly cheesesteak.
lol... deal.

WS6bear
12-17-06, 01:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/15/ford_no_mustang_sedan/index.html

WS6bear
12-17-06, 01:55 PM
if any of you are considering a mustang anytime soon, i suggest waiting until the end of the year. The body style is going to change slightly, they will finally get a bigger motor (back to the 5.0) and they new Boss mustang is gonna be SICK (around 430 HP stock). Im obvious not a mustang fan (see WS6) but im considering getting a Boss.

BigFerg
12-17-06, 05:51 PM
See?

Like I said above, if Ford does this, the Mustang identity will become very...confusing.

Is a teen car? A soccer mom's car? A young adult car? An old person who wants to be young car?

Hard to argue it's a teen or young adult car when there is a station wagon version of it.
Hard to argue it's an old person's car when it gets mediocre gas mileage, has mediocre passenger room, and fewer than normal creature comforts.

If anything, Ford needs to simplify. Make a statement to say Mustang=fast & youthful.

Take everything about the Mustang, put a different fascia on it, add some more leg room and creature comforts, and make that the station wagon under a different name. If it's a flop, at least it won't hurt the Mustang's identity.

The Mustang has always been all inclusive since it was released. They marketed the V6 to the women, they had ads featuring secretaries driving the car after work. That is why they also developed the GT, Boss, Mach 1, etc. Those models were for the men and older guys who wanted the high performance factory race cars. There are Mustangs for everyone, that is the cool thing about them. These ideas for a wagon or sedan are just that, ideas. I wouldn't be suprised to see them develop new cars based on the Mustang with stylings from the Mustang similar to how Mopar has done with the Charger/Magnum/Challenger.

CLBear
12-18-06, 09:55 AM
Ford is screwed up. I like the Mustang a lot. They finally moved it back to a man's car after pussifying it for decades.

If that is the case, than why do I see almost every new Mustang being driven by a woman? I know 5 people personally at my work that have them and all of them are woman.

billytheskink
12-18-06, 12:30 PM
What's next? A Corvette station wagon?
it's been done, Chevy called it "Nomad".

A Mustang station wagon is an absolutely retarded idea. People back then drove station wagons. People today don't.
Sure they do, they just won't admit it. That's why auto marketers invented terms like "SUV", "Sport Wagon" and my personal favorite, "Crossover Vehicle".

I was rolling after a Dodge salesperson responded to my request for information about their "new station wagon" (the Magnum) with "Actually, it is classified as a light truck."

BaylorGuy314
12-19-06, 05:23 PM
Sure they do, they just won't admit it. "

True. But this one actually looks like a station wagon. SUVs, while they are essentially big station wagons, don't look like the older ones that most youth would relate to their grandmother's vehicle.

billytheskink
12-19-06, 05:30 PM
I suppose that is true.

This is what cracks me up.
In theory SUVs are station wagons built on truck chassis'. (examplified by the Jeep "Wagoneer" and early Ford Explorer ads describing the vehicle as a "family wagon".) Ok.
Someone gets the brilliant idea to place an SUV body onto a sedan chassis'...
Throw in some marketing dust and you get, not a station wagon, but a "crossover vehicle".

Hilarious.

For the record, I'm a station wagon fan. Always have wanted an AMC Eagle wagon.

booray17
12-19-06, 06:21 PM
For the record, I'm a station wagon fan. Always have wanted an AMC Eagle wagon.
Learned to drive in an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with the moon roof. What an awesome ride.

quash
12-20-06, 11:19 AM
I learned to drive in our '64.5 and later owned a really, really crappy M II.
Now I drive a Chevy HHR, and even my saleswoman couldn't tell me wtf it is, but CUV seems close enough. So, yes, I'd drive a Mustang station wagon.