PDA

View Full Version : My little brother got into Brown... not going to Baylor

Bigshot628
12-15-06, 06:15 PM
I wanted him to go to Baylor, but when Brown accepts you and offers to pay for about 90 percent of the total cost, I guess you gotta go.

Hope this link works...

http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_5215921,00.html

FuzzyBUMagnet
12-15-06, 07:57 PM
Tell him congratulations and that's awesome, but to think twice about going up and living with all the yankees. They're just different folks up there.

jcameronmk
12-15-06, 09:14 PM
Oh please! Give him your blessings to go to Brown.

JETHRO
12-15-06, 09:53 PM
He can go to Brown, but he should marry a Baylor girl...

groverbabyBU
12-15-06, 09:59 PM
Congrats to him! And yankees aren't all bad...

whitetrash
12-15-06, 10:58 PM
Wasn't Brown the place that a few years ago tried to do away with required courses, majors, etc. by claiming they were too "restrictive" and instead allowed students to graduate by taking 120 hours on anything offered.

Then again, they actually had the guts to expel Amy Carter (Jimmy's daughter) for her actions in protesting South Africa or something in the late 1980s. How bad must you have been to get kicked out of an Ivy League school for being too liberal?

ScottS
12-15-06, 10:59 PM
He will need a big jacket.

eastdallasloco
12-15-06, 11:28 PM
New England is great and brown is an awesome school. Congrats to him

PapaBearcat
12-15-06, 11:28 PM
Brown is a great school but is known for being the MOST liberal university in the nation. Good Luck!

Pilot0287
12-15-06, 11:56 PM
He can go to Brown, but he should marry a Baylor girl...

there ya go!

piratestef
12-16-06, 12:03 AM
Wow--that's awesome. Congrats to your brother (although do warn him about the yanks...eesh).

BrooksBearLives
12-19-06, 11:47 AM
Brown is a great school but is known for being the MOST liberal university in the nation. Good Luck!
no... not even close

Check out Reed College.

Yikes.

Brown is NO WHERE NEAR the most liberal University in the Nation

BrooksBearLives
12-19-06, 11:48 AM
And Yanks rule.

El Cid
12-19-06, 12:03 PM
Add Grinnell and Lewis and Clark of Oregano to that lib list.

Brown's a good school, but he will be beaten down by the liberals. But if he can get in there and get funding, then it's worth a year of his life at least.

Good luck and congrats.

DONNIE D
12-19-06, 12:43 PM
Good job, but it's a looooong way from the "T-HEADS".

BaylorBabe
12-19-06, 12:47 PM
Brown is a great school, congratulations to him.

BrooksBearLives
12-19-06, 12:48 PM
Berkley and Texas-austin have to be in that mix as well.
Meh... T.U. ain't THAT liberal. Just seems so in comparison to say... um... us or aTm.

CammoTX
12-19-06, 12:48 PM
Oberlin

eastdallasloco
12-19-06, 12:54 PM
who cares if a school is "liberal". does your school have to reinforce the world view that your parents gave you? if i had the chance to go Brown, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, yale, Stanford, U Chicago then i wouldve in a heartbeat. congrats to your brother.

ymbear
12-19-06, 01:43 PM
Atleast they have a great mascot! And a nice looking campus.

AvrgBear
12-19-06, 01:48 PM
I think the question on everyone's tongue is "What can Brown do for you?"

Dean/Sharpton04
12-19-06, 02:47 PM
Joe Paterno; John Kennedy Jr.; Horace Mann (the father of American Public School Education); Thomas Watson (head of IBM; former Ambassador to USSR); George Fisher (Head of Motorola and then Kodak); Lee Raymond (head of Exxon); Charles Evans Hughes; John Hay; Ted Turner (founder of CNN); Mary Chapin Carpenter (folk/rock star); Lincoln Chaffee (U.S. Senator from Rhode Island); John D. Rockefeller (the founder of Standard Oil and the Rockefeller fortune); Jeff Eugenides (last year's winner of the Pulitzer prize in fiction); Nilo Cruz (last year's winner of the Pulitzer prize in drama); Barry Sternlicht (Head of Starwoods Hotel); Chris Berman (ESPN sportscaster extraordinaire); etc, etc.

BUbacker
12-19-06, 04:19 PM
Congrats to your brother. Great news.

BaylorBubbles
12-19-06, 05:58 PM
Wasn't Brown the place that a few years ago tried to do away with required courses, majors, etc. by claiming they were too "restrictive" and instead allowed students to graduate by taking 120 hours on anything offered.

It's called the "University Scholar" major at Baylor. And it's 124 hours. And it rocks.

piratestef
12-19-06, 07:35 PM
It's called the "University Scholar" major at Baylor. And it's 124 hours. And it rocks.

Oh, come on. That's not a real major and everyone but the unis know it. It's mostly just a long title for "undecided."

Solan=Christ!!!
12-19-06, 09:00 PM
Oh, come on. That's not a real major and everyone but the unis know it. It's mostly just a long title for "undecided."

Awwww, someone didn't make it?

That's okay, you'll have your real major.

marcusdean
12-19-06, 09:40 PM
congrats to your brother.

If he decides to major in philosophy as the article indicates, then tell him that he should try and meet Mary Louise Gill. I have not met her in person, so I cannot vouch for her as a person or teacher, but I do know that she is a hell of a philosopher.

Aray
12-19-06, 09:52 PM
Awesome school. Originally it was baptist

deltbear
12-19-06, 11:11 PM
philosophy is the most worthless degree you can get. What the hell do you do with it. Sit around and predict stuff? I would tell him to atleast get a respectable degree. Congrats on getting in though. Wish I had the grades to have those sorts of options. :(

piratestef
12-20-06, 12:46 AM
Add Grinnell and Lewis and Clark of Oregano to that lib list.

Brown's a good school, but he will be beaten down by the liberals. But if he can get in there and get funding, then it's worth a year of his life at least.

Good luck and congrats.

Dude, Evergreen could roll up all of Brown's "liberalness" and smoke it. In one joint.

piratestef
12-20-06, 12:53 AM
Awwww, someone didn't make it?

That's okay, you'll have your real major.

Hell no. We just about threw one guy a party for getting out of the uni cult and finally declaring himself "organ performance." They're not that smart nowadays. Supposedly it used to be good, but then they started letting more and more people in and loosening up the requirements to get in. There are folks in that program who should be and who I respect, but then there's a lot of morons who just do it for the suite bath dorms and perks of avoiding a lot of the other required courses...which is stupid.

...and hence their current label of "undecided with perks."

</rant>

marcusdean
12-20-06, 01:04 AM
philosophy is the most worthless degree you can get. What the hell do you do with it. Sit around and predict stuff? I would tell him to atleast get a respectable degree. Congrats on getting in though. Wish I had the grades to have those sorts of options. :(

maybe your grades are correlative to your opinions of philosophy.

Just kidding. But as a student of philosophy, I do question your conception of worth. Yet, there is no need to go into it here and derail the thread.

BaylorBabe
12-20-06, 08:31 AM
Hell no. We just about threw one guy a party for getting out of the uni cult and finally declaring himself "organ performance." They're not that smart nowadays. Supposedly it used to be good, but then they started letting more and more people in and loosening up the requirements to get in. There are folks in that program who should be and who I respect, but then there's a lot of morons who just do it for the suite bath dorms and perks of avoiding a lot of the other required courses...which is stupid.

...and hence their current label of "undecided with perks."

</rant>

Aren't you in BIC? Then shut it with the cults sister :lol:

piratestef
12-20-06, 12:19 PM
Aren't you in BIC? Then shut it with the cults sister :lol:

There's a difference. I like my cult.

BaylorBabe
12-20-06, 12:20 PM
There's a difference. I like my cult.

Everyone likes their cults, that's part of the whole brainwashing thing! Duh! :lol: ;)

piratestef
12-20-06, 12:55 PM
Oh my.

I'm gonna have to sacrifice a cat over that one.

BaylorBabe
12-20-06, 12:57 PM
Which cult is that in? I like that cult!

Just kidding Case. :)