PDA

View Full Version : We Are Marshall

themoviecritic7
12-16-06, 09:38 PM
I just got back from seeing We Are Marshall. For those of you that don't know the movie is about the aftermath of the 1970 plane crash that killed most of the Marshall University Thundering Herd football team, the rebuilding of the program, and the healing that the community undergoes. The movie was put together very well. I did research about the plane crash before seeing the movie and from my research I can say that the movie is true to life and very accurate. It’s not one of those Hollywood type movies where things are changed to make the movie better or more interesting. The movie stand on its own. There was one minor thing I wish the film would have explored, but other than that I enjoyed it very much. All of the cast involved did a great job and I believe the family members of the victims of the tragic Marshall 1970 plane crash will be proud of the way the film depicts the tragedy. It was sad as you would expect, but it was great to see how the victims of the plane crash are honored and have never been forgotten. The movie is a great example of how as humans we must over come tragedy in our lives and must move on as hard as it may be to do. I would encourage and hope that everyone go see it.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
12-16-06, 09:55 PM
Thanks themoviecritic7.

I am not a big fan of bongo boy, but hopefully me and the wife will be able to see it soon.

Thanks,

RD2 :headache:

themoviecritic7
12-16-06, 09:58 PM
Your welcome. Yeah Bongo Boy is in it. Matthew Fox is also in it and he does a very good job.

Thanks themoviecritic7.

I am not a big fan of bongo boy, but hopefully me and the wife will be able to see it soon.

Thanks,

biggmatt24
12-17-06, 12:53 AM
Saw this the other night. It is a very good movie and I would have to second the recommendation to go see it. It is far more than your typical football movie and does a wonderful job of capturing the spirit and emotion of all those involved. There were a handful of emotional moments where most in the theater were crying or sniffling.

This is also the first film I have seen where over 90% of the audience stayed through the credits. It was a moving film and there was not the usual big rush to leave the theater after it was over.

Edit: Almost forgot to add...I am definitely not a fan of McConaughey, but he was very good in this role. Fox was also well cast for his role.

themoviecritic7
12-17-06, 09:07 AM
Yes, for those that go see the movie I would defintely stay through out the credits. The screeing I went to the entire audience stayed for the credits. It is not your typical sports movie about football, but about human interest. There are moments where you will get choked up and feel like crying. The movie did a good job of going into all the subplots with out losing the focus of the film.

Dia_del_DougO
12-17-06, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'll rent it someday. Matthew McHollowhead is almost a deal killer for seeing any movie he's in.

themoviecritic7
12-17-06, 10:27 PM
Too bad. It was a good movie.

Maybe I'll rent it someday. Matthew McHollowhead is almost a deal killer for seeing any movie he's in.

eastdallasloco
12-18-06, 09:27 AM
i used to like Mcconaughey but he has started to whip me as of late. maybe its all this jogging w/ lance armstrong and over cheering on the horns sidelines but he is now on my beatdown list. i will still prolly go see this one.

themoviecritic7
12-18-06, 09:30 AM
You should.

i used to like Mcconaughey but he has started to whip me as of late. maybe its all this jogging w/ lance armstrong and over cheering on the horns sidelines but he is now on my beatdown list. i will still prolly go see this one.

txoceanlover
12-18-06, 09:53 AM
I remember the day this happened. The next day the team captains from the university they were to play walked out to midfield and laid flowers in their memory. Of course that made national news. Will have to catch this movie.

themoviecritic7
12-18-06, 10:13 AM
Yes, it's defintely one you don't want to miss. It's such a sad story, yet life must go on. Everone in the Huntingtom community was adversely affected by the tragedy, much like our nation felt the impact of September 11 some 31 years later. " Those were not welcome days, " recalls one persos in the movie, adding "Clocks ticked, but time did not pass."

TheRadvocate
12-18-06, 11:02 AM
I thought it was ok (at best) ... to me it had a Disney feel to it with a lot of clichés ... It felt very surface with little depth … there was a lot more they could have done with this story ...

there are better movies out there - just my two cents

themoviecritic7
12-18-06, 11:09 AM
Can you explain further? What cliches? There was one thing that I felt the movie should have gone into, but didn't and I wish they had.

Missile
12-18-06, 11:48 AM

Same here.

WacoGone
12-18-06, 12:13 PM
Obviously, you gentlemen who detest Mr. Mcwhatshisname don't feel the power of the package in the Stetson ads. :lol:

This picture is waaaay too tiny to do it justice:
Stetson boy (http://www.justkeeplivin.org/McConaughey/photodata/magscans/thumbnails/StetsonAd.jpg)

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
12-18-06, 09:15 PM
Obviously, you gentlemen who detest Mr. Mcwhatshisname don't feel the power of the package in the Stetson ads. :lol:

This picture is waaaay too tiny to do it justice:
Stetson boy (http://www.justkeeplivin.org/McConaughey/photodata/magscans/thumbnails/StetsonAd.jpg)

I can still play bongos with the best of 'em. I'm just envious because Matthew still has a six pack and I have graduated to a keg.

In all fairness, I thought bongo boy was magnificent in "A Time to Kill" based on the novel written by John Grisham. I still think Ashley Judd was WWAAAYYY too much woman for him.

themoviecritic7
12-19-06, 04:02 PM
I know some of us here may be too young to remember or not even born yet, but for those of you who do remember how big of a story was this and share any memories you have of the event.

Yogi
12-19-06, 04:16 PM
I just don't want to see Mcconaughey star in "THE IMMORTAL TEN."

I couldn't stand to have a Longhorn fan star in a movie about Baylor Bears. ;)

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age. -- Wooderson (Bongo Boy) from Dazed and Confused.

BearFan04
12-20-06, 07:24 AM
I can't wait to see the inspirational movie about Baylor.

themoviecritic7
12-21-06, 11:07 AM
Anyone plan on seeing this when it comes out tomorrow?

n8dawgbu
12-22-06, 10:05 PM
There should be an immortal Ten movie, it would certainly be better than if someone tried to tell the Bliss story.

Edit: Actually I think a story about our medal of honor winners that are honored over by Pat Neff would be pretty good too.

Knight Bear
12-23-06, 10:57 AM
My wife grew up in Huntington, WV (where Marshall is located). Her mother just moved down to Texas to be near us a few years ago. They have both spoken with reverence about this event, and it's affect on the town and surrounding area, in the same way people speak about 9/11, Kennedy and MLK getting shot, etc.

Huntington is a "big" small town that completely evolves around Marshall. My mother-in-law was a recent graduate and her sister was a junior at Marshall when the plane crashed. The main thing they talk about is all the funerals. They say they went on for weeks. They also talk about all orphans as a number of those on the plane were young parents.

I'm taking them to go see the movie tonight. I'm very curious to see what their take on it is.

Side note - Baylorites might recognize a couple of other names from the Huntington area: Michael W. Smith and Billy Ray Cyrus (Achy Breaky Heart-LOL). Randy Moss and Chad Pennington went to Marshall for those football fans in the know.

themoviecritic7
12-23-06, 11:28 AM
I saw it again last night. It was much sadder the second time I saw it. Speaking on the many funerals that went on. There is one scene where there is one funeral procession going down the street and it has to stop because there is another funeral procession also going on a perpendicular street. They also go through and talk about how many kids who lost one or both parents in the crash. Stay to the end of the credits. I would also be curious to see what their take on it is please let me know what they have to say after seeing the film.

HoustonMedBear
12-23-06, 11:36 AM
I can't wait to see the inspirational movie about Baylor.

:lol: :lol:

yeah, the movie about baylor that overcomes the dennehy tragedy of 2003 to be ranked 95th overall in the two-sport combination over the past 5 years lol.

Knight Bear
12-27-06, 10:30 PM
I saw it again last night. It was much sadder the second time I saw it. Speaking on the many funerals that went on. There is one scene where there is one funeral procession going down the street and it has to stop because there is another funeral procession also going on a perpendicular street. They also go through and talk about how many kids who lost one or both parents in the crash. Stay to the end of the credits. I would also be curious to see what their take on it is please let me know what they have to say after seeing the film.

We had some stuff come up that kept us from going the other night. We hit the movies tonight. I'm having to go see it this weekend on my own as I had to take my 6 year old to "Night at the Museum" while my wife and her mother went to see "We Are Marshall".

They both said it was emotional for them just seeing their hometown in this way. My mother-in-law said she actually expienced sitting in line at a stoplight while one funeral procession went by and then another came from across the street, under one of the railroad viaducts that are throughout the town. She saw a number of people she recognized in the crowds and said she had been friends with Red McComb's wife through the Junior League along with some others that were on the plane or directly connected to many of those on it.

My wife's father was an ottorney in Huntington and came from a very prominent family there. Alot of those killed were doctors and attorneys (some of the larger donors to the Marshall program) so I'm sure her father would have known alot of them very well. Unfortunately, he died when my wife was 13 so I never had the chance to meet him.

Both came away from the movie saying how well done it was. My wife said it was still a "football" movie (which she does like, thankfully!), but with alot more to it.

There is a documentary made by the filmmakers that does a nice job covering some of the original video footage along with interviews with a number of key people in this story. I got it at WalMart for my mother-in-law and highly recommend it. I saw that ESPN also had something similar on the shelf too.