PDA

View Full Version : Good news, BF: the brain can recoup from alcohol

WacoGone
12-18-06, 11:02 AM
From MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16265307/):

Excessive drinking can damage brain cells but the brain can repair some of the harm, a team of international researchers said on Monday.

But they warned alcoholics should get sober as quickly as possible because the longer they continue to drink heavily, the less likely their brains will be able to regenerate.

“The core message from this study is that, for alcoholics, abstinence pays off and enables the brain to regain some substance and to perform better,” said Dr Andreas Bartsch, of the University of Wuerzburg, in Germany.

Slurred speech, blurred vision and an inability to walk without swaying can occur after a few drinks but chronic alcohol abuse can cause more lasting damage and poor general health.

Research in animals has shown that alcohol can disrupt the development of new brain cells in adults. Heavy drinking during pregnancy can also affect the development of the baby’s brain.

Bartsch and scientists from Germany, Britain, Switzerland and Italy uncovered the brain’s regenerative ability by measuring the volume, form and function of the brains of 15 alcoholic men and women before and after they stopped drinking to see how much they changed over seven weeks.

Using sophisticated scanning techniques they showed that after 38 days without a drink the brain volume of the patients increased by an average of nearly 2 percent.

“Only the one patient with the longest history of alcohol dependence had a slightly reduced brain volume,” said Bartsch, whose findings are reported online by the journal Brain.

The volunteers also performed better in concentration and attention test and had higher levels of chemicals linked to brain cell function.

All of the patients had stopped drinking without medication.

“The human brain, and particularly its white matter, seems to possess genuine capabilities for re-growth,” Bartsch said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Yogi
12-18-06, 11:05 AM
Pardon?

ScottS
12-18-06, 11:05 AM
You think some on here have been drinking?

DONNIE D
12-18-06, 11:16 AM
I feel better now!!:) It's funny I would log on and find this at the top.

WARNING:

Reality is an illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol.:lol:

WacoGone
12-18-06, 12:10 PM
I was originally going to address it only to BOBB, but then I thought about Solan. And BBL. And Wacoso. And Mac. And...well, pretty much just about everybody on here.

cowboycwr
12-18-06, 12:22 PM
man that is great news!!!

CammoTX
12-18-06, 12:24 PM
too bad it can't heal reflux :(

Solan=Christ!!!
12-18-06, 03:20 PM
I was originally going to address it only to BOBB, but then I thought about Solan. And BBL. And Wacoso. And Mac. And...well, pretty much just about everybody on here.

I appreciate the thought. I wish I could grow some more neurons...I guess all I have to do is drink (more) heavily and then stop. ;)

I want to read the study. I'll bet the majority of volume is glial, not neuronal. When neurons are damaged they essentially "leak" a chemical that causes increased astroglial multiplication - effectively scar tissue. I wonder if they measured what's growing back.

Bexar Fan
12-18-06, 03:25 PM
.....multiplication.....
Proof positive......

..........drinking causes kids!

Yogi
12-18-06, 04:31 PM
“The core message from this study is that . . . abstinence pays off and enables the brain to regain some substance and to perform better,” said Dr Andreas Bartsch, of the University of Wuerzburg, in Germany.

Well is abstinence makes you smarter, call me Albert Einstein!

LordByron
12-18-06, 04:38 PM
From MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16265307/):Whew!

BrooksBearLives
12-19-06, 10:17 AM
what makes you think I drink???

is this because I'm Catholic?

(good call ;) )

DONNIE D
12-19-06, 11:04 AM
I was originally going to address it only to BOBB, but then I thought about Solan. And BBL. And Wacoso. And Mac. And...well, pretty much just about everybody on here.:) WHEW!!!:) I'm glad you went with the under 35 age group here. If you would have choose my group, your list would surely be longer.

Texas Golfer
12-19-06, 11:24 AM
Rokay!! Their still ris whope fer mi!

DONNIE D
12-19-06, 11:29 AM
Rokay!! Their still ris whope fer mi!Your a nut!!!

Set em up Joe...it's 12:30

Bexar Fan
12-19-06, 01:22 PM
Walkin' the floor, Donnie?

DONNIE D
12-19-06, 01:29 PM
Walkin' the floor, Donnie?yessirre buddy. I have to work today and again Thursday, and I'm just passin time.

Wasn't that Vern Gosdin???

EDIT: Yes it was!!!

Every day they replace ol B-24, Cause every night I run a needle thru it "Walkin the Floor".:) I always liked him.

tommie
12-19-06, 03:22 PM
Not me! It's been 10 minutes since I've had a drink.

Santa Claus
12-20-06, 06:59 PM
Not me! It's been 10 minutes since I've had a drink.

Egg. Nog.

ho ho hooooooooooooo boy. Yessirree bob. I loves me some nog. Extra nog in my eggs, please.

And extra bourbon.

All those milk and cookies try to sober me up every year...and fail. Ho ho ho! I'm just glad that nobody DWI's a sleigh.

WacoGone
12-20-06, 07:51 PM
I guess the reindeer are really in charge of that thing, anyway.

Santa Claus
12-20-06, 07:53 PM
I guess the reindeer are really in charge of that thing, anyway.

Yup.

And they're not drunk, so I can have all the eggnog my failing heart desires! Ho ho ho!

LTbear
12-20-06, 07:56 PM
Drink? What? Us?

WacoGone
12-20-06, 08:47 PM
Yup.

And they're not drunk...
Are you sure? Something's making that Rudolph's nose glow so bright. Gin blossom, anyone?

Santa Claus
12-22-06, 12:22 PM
Are you sure? Something's making that Rudolph's nose glow so bright. Gin blossom, anyone?

Damn him!

It's venison sausages for ole Santy tonight, ho ho hooooo...

HO DRANK MY EGGNOG! That's an offense punishable only by death!