PDA

View Full Version : Mutual Fund Information

BaylorLine
12-20-06, 12:05 PM
Can anyone direct me a site that tracks information about mutual funds and specifically their daily transcations? I own a fund that lost $1 billion yesterday (10% of its value) and I can't find any information about what happened. It's a blended, capital appreciation fund, so it's totally perplexing that it would have such a huge loss in one day. My only guess is off balance sheet derivative gone bad.

FOBob
12-20-06, 12:08 PM
Can anyone direct me a site that tracks information about mutual funds and specifically their daily transcations? I own a fund that lost $1 billion yesterday (10% of its value) and I can't find any information about what happened. It's a blended, capital appreciation fund, so it's totally perplexing that it would have such a huge loss in one day. My only guess is off balance sheet derivative gone bad.
Probably a year-end income (dividend and capital gain) distribution. You should receive a distribution unless you've elected to have it reinvested in the fund. If you elected reinvestment, check to see if your number of shares went up yesterday (or today).

BaylorLine
12-20-06, 12:23 PM
Probably a year-end income (dividend and capital gain) distribution. You should receive a distribution unless you've elected to have it reinvested in the fund. If you elected reinvestment, check to see if your number of shares went up yesterday (or today).

I thought of that too, but there's no indication that's what happened or any announcement from T Rowe Price. It would also be more than 5x larger than any previous distribution. I guess it could be delayed. It's just very perplexing.

Keyser Soze
12-20-06, 12:25 PM
See if the CFO has turned up missing and last seen boarding a plane to Rio.

BaylorLine
12-20-06, 12:39 PM
See if the CFO has turned up missing and last seen boarding a plane to Rio.

My real concern is that under the guise of "we ocassionally enter hedging and derivative transactions" they were on the wrong side of an energy hedge or somesuch. You'd really be surprised at the number of funds, even conservatives ones, that have many multiples of their total worth outstanding in derivatives.

eastdallasloco
12-20-06, 12:46 PM
go to yahoo finance and type in the symbol. on the right hand side it has hist prices

Ghostrider
12-20-06, 01:00 PM
which fund?

BaylorLine
12-20-06, 02:15 PM
T Rowe Price Capital Appreciation. Symbol is PRWCX.

I am beginning to think more and more that it is a distribution, but the timing is delayed. Would be nice if they'd announce it.

psi style
12-20-06, 02:23 PM
share price as of yesterday 12-19 is 20.64, as of 12-18 it was 22.98

most likely a capital gain/dividend which causes the share price to drop a lot, which it did, and then your account is given more shares to bring you back up to the account value where you were previously, so, your balance stays the same, but you have more shares.

i work for a financial company and we paid out capital gains this weekend, so there were a lot of people freaked out about it when they saw their balances drop quite a bit, albeit temporarily

eastdallasloco
12-20-06, 02:26 PM
share price as of yesterday 12-19 is 20.64, as of 12-18 it was 22.98

most likely a capital gain/dividend which causes the share price to drop a lot, which it did, and then your account is given more shares to bring you back up to the account value where you were previously, so, your balance stays the same, but you have more shares.

i work for a financial company and we paid out capital gains this weekend, so there were a lot of people freaked out about it when they say their balances drop quite a bit, albeit temporarily

that sounds exactly like what happened. i used to work at ameritrade and we would have people calling in and freaking out at the end of the year due to cap gains dist, divs, worhtless stock removals, cabinet trades, etc.

FOBob
12-20-06, 02:32 PM
It was a distribution.

http://www.troweprice.com/common/index3/0,3011,lnp%253D10056%2526cg%253D1260%2526pgid%253D 10943,00.html?scn=Online_Features&rfpgid=8304

Domestic Stock, International Stock, and International Bond Funds
T. Rowe Price domestic stock, international stock, and international bond funds will declare income dividends and capital gains on December 18, 2006 to shareholders of record on that date. The ex-dividend and reinvestment date is December 19, 2006. The payment date is December 20, 2006.

BaylorLine
12-20-06, 02:35 PM
That must be what it is. Again would be nice if they announced the declared distribution.

Thanks for everyone's input.

BUGWBBear
12-20-06, 03:14 PM
Can anyone direct me a site that tracks information about mutual funds and specifically their daily transcations?

Won't Morningstar handle that?

BUGWBBear
12-20-06, 03:18 PM
T Rowe Price Capital Appreciation. Symbol is PRWCX.

I am beginning to think more and more that it is a distribution, but the timing is delayed. Would be nice if they'd announce it.

Mid-Cap Growth took a huge hit as well. Ugh.