PDA

View Full Version : Longtime educator Molly Maloy dead at 60

LIB,MR BEARS
12-22-06, 12:43 PM
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/newsworthy/images/Dancing-News-25-23.gifClick-2-Listen (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/12/22/12222006wacmollymaloy.html#)
Friday, December 22, 2006

By Emily Ingram

Tribune-Herald staff writer

Longtime Waco educator Molly Maloy died late Thursday night, just days after resigning as principal of Reicher Catholic High School for health problems related to cancer.

A tough but passionate educator known to several generations of students and teachers, Maloy, 60, had served as Reicher principal since June 2004 after ending her 30-year tenure in the Waco Independent School District with a four-year stint as principal of Waco High School.

Before serving as principal of Waco High, Maloy oversaw the conversion of Waco ISD’s G.W. Carver Academy from what was previously a districtwide sixth-grade center into a sixth-through-eighth-grade magnet middle school.

Teachers such as Susan Josephs knew Maloy as particularly talented in the management of others, something the Waco school district recognized early on, removing her from the classroom after a few years to oversee the running of programs and facilities and educators.

“She was just good at finding people of different strengths and then putting them together on teams,” said Josephs, who now works with teacher interns at Baylor University. “Then each of them would do whatever they were best at.”

Before her work at Carver, she served as principal of the alternative school and supervisor of the prenatal continuing education program.

She also taught homemaking and English to pregnant students.

Maloy earned her bachelor’s degree from Sam Houston State University and her master’s degree from Baylor University. She received her midmanagement certification from Tarleton State University.

During her final years with WISD, Maloy acknowledged the difficulty of state standardized testing, but friends said she relished the challenge of improving students’ test scores and academic achievement.

“She was the most pumped up when those test scores came back,” Josephs recalled. “She was constantly looking over data, seeing where we needed to work. She was almost like a football coach. She didn’t sit there and whine. She looked at where the work needed to be done.”

Declining health wasn’t Maloy’s only reason for settling in at Reicher during her last few years.

“I graduated Reicher, so did my siblings and my children,” she told the Tribune-Herald. “I always said one day I would like to go to a school where I know everybody. With 200 students (at Reicher), that would definitely be the case. I wasn’t looking, but the principal job came open.”

Survivors include two daughters, Amanda Bradley, of Austin, and Stacey Abraham, of Mississippi.

Services are pending at Wilkirson-Hatch-Bailey Funeral Homes.

eingram@wacotrib.com

757-5745