PDA

View Full Version : Which Movie should I see today?

ghost dog
12-24-06, 09:46 AM
seems a hard choice...

help!

TrapIt4Life
12-24-06, 12:11 PM
Saw Blood Diamond and the Good Shepard, not Babel. I liked them both, although I would have REALLY liked Good Shepard about 10x more if it was 30 minutes shorter. There's a lot of cool stuff in there, pretty tricksy, but it goes on for just too long in the end. Blood Diamond was very interesting to watch, I expected kind of a Constant Gardener feel, a movie I hated, but I was pleasantly surprised. A bit of a forced romance between Leo and Jenn Connely that might leave you scratching your head afterwards, but all in all, a very good movie.

Due to length of Good Shep, I would say if you had to pick a movie...pick Blood Diamond.

groverbabyBU
12-24-06, 12:12 PM
between matt damon and leonardo dicaprio, i'd pick matt. :)

turk4037
12-24-06, 02:33 PM
None of the above, go see Charlotte's Web.

ScottS
12-24-06, 02:40 PM
A night in the museum.

HoustonMedBear
12-24-06, 02:42 PM
if you feel the urge to support the ever-more leftist PETA, then i suggest Happy Feet. They don't even try to disguise their agenda. I was unaware of this when I went to see the movie 1 month ago.

ScottS
12-24-06, 02:43 PM
if you feel the urge to support the ever-more leftist PETA, then i suggest Happy Feet. They don't even try to disguise their agenda. I was unaware of this when I went to see the movie 1 month ago.

The message was loud and clear...humans are evil.

El Oso
12-24-06, 04:08 PM
I saw Happy Feet yesterday--it was horrible

caseman
12-24-06, 04:11 PM
Happy Feet is not related to PETA in any way shape or form. Peta is too busy telling kids to cut class, not frogs.

Overfishing in the Antarctic is a conservation issue...if you want to label that as leftist, go right ahead, but it SHOULD be a leftist and rightist concern. Regardless, it shouldn't have been promoted in a children's movie

HoustonMedBear
12-24-06, 04:37 PM
Happy Feet is not related to PETA in any way shape or form. Peta is too busy telling kids to cut class, not frogs.

Overfishing in the Antarctic is a conservation issue...if you want to label that as leftist, go right ahead, but it SHOULD be a leftist and rightist concern. Regardless, it shouldn't have been promoted in a children's movie

I thought for sure that it was a PETA promotion. I agree that it is a serious issue, and we shouldn't just destroy entire ecosystems to eat fish, but the message was over the top, and you are right in that it shouldn't be pushed as a children's movie.

I saw a figure this fall that said if our fishing rates continue that our fish will all be virtually extinct by 2030 or something to that effect. So, you are right in that it is an issue that both sides should agree on, but they chose the wrong platform, and the story was over-the-top. In reality, that bird would have been outcast and/ or killed by other birds or animals. He would never have mated nor had the opportunity to do so.

Consensus: Happy Feet sucks, and you shouldn't go see it. Go see The Good Shepherd. It has a cool storyline, and you can tell me what I should prepare for when my family goes to watch it tomorrow.

caseman
12-24-06, 09:17 PM
you are right. I didn't mean to sound like a dick, but I reread my response and it definitely sounded rude :)

PETA gets a bad rep, but a lot of times it is deserved. They do good work when it comes to awareness about fur farms, unnecessary vivsection or big corporate factory food animal farms or even animals abused for entertainment in some circuses. Their problem is that they do not draw the line. No silk because silkworms are used for human benefit, no animal testing for medical reasons, even if the sacrifice of 10 animals would save 100 humans. No dissection for science classes. Their message is good a lot of times but their overboard stuff gives animal welfare supporters like myself a bad reputation.

Anyhow, I agree that Happy Feet sucked. I did enjoy Blood Diamond immensely. Haven't seen the Good Shepherd, but plan on taking my 88 yr old grandmother this next week (would it be ok for her???).

Merry Christmas!

HoustonMedBear
12-25-06, 08:42 AM
I wasn't mad at you for your last post. I agree that PETA has some good agendas, they probably could just use some better leadership and make better decisions that would improve their reputation publicly.

My beef with them is that they treasure animal lives as more than human lives. They would rather that humans die without medical experimentation on animals than animals die so humans don't need to.

I'm glad we all agree that Happy Feet sucked. That may be the first thing that this board has agreed on since the Reagan administration, but I'm sure even some would argue that haha.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

JETHRO
12-25-06, 10:49 AM
Go see "We are Marshall." You will be the only people in the theater. :lol:

Bigshot628
12-25-06, 11:18 AM
Go see ROCKY BALBOA!!!

Stranger
12-27-06, 04:53 AM
Good Shepherd could be renamed Bad Shepherd. . . . . Really, really slow . . . . really, really boring . . . . a total waste of three hours . . . yes, I said three hours.

Texas Golfer
12-27-06, 06:32 AM
I would have enjoyed The Good Shepherd more if it had not jumped back and forth in time. I enjoyed A Night at the Museum and, although it was very depressing, In Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith does a great job and the message is inspiring.

piratestef
12-28-06, 12:17 AM
Why is every movie so long lately? Geez, there's a reason people hated Titanic. And there's a reason I hate most comedies lately--one hour of funny stuff dragged out for two and a half freakin' hours.

Good Shepherd sounds interesting, but I'm afraid my undiagnosed ADD would set in end before the ending if it's three freakin' hours long. Dang.

BaylorBabe
12-28-06, 09:49 AM
Titanic made like 300 bajillion dollars or something, so I'm not sure if that example works, although I see your point.

I think the running time on Good Shepherd is 2 1/2, with previews etc it's probably 3 total.

Solan=Christ!!!
12-28-06, 10:03 AM
Why is every movie so damn long lately? Geez, there's a reason people hated Titanic. And there's a reason I hate most comedies lately--one hour of funny stuff dragged out for two and a half freakin' hours.

Sometimes, you make what's left of my brain really, really hurt. Movies do indeed have a tendency to be longer right now. Because they're sucessful.

But this is what makes my brain hurt:

All time gross:

1 Titanic (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800026398/info) Paramount Pictures $600,788,188 12/19/1997

piratestef
12-28-06, 11:04 AM
Really, that makes my butt hurt more than anything. I'll give Titanic one thing--the special effects were pretty cool, and that probably brought a lot of people in who otherwise just wouldn't see it. But aside from that? Just sink the damn boat already.

BHJ
12-28-06, 11:07 AM
coco?

- tiny bhj

piratestef
12-28-06, 11:08 AM
Sorry, BHJ, there isn't a movie about Coco. Wrong thread.