PDA

View Full Version : Worst Movies of 2006

JETHRO
12-26-06, 10:36 AM
MSN has some posted on their site, but what do y'all think?

piratestef
12-26-06, 11:04 AM
Link to article?

tornado
12-26-06, 11:23 AM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/12-22-06_4?GT1=7701

Swamp Bear
12-26-06, 12:14 PM
Out of that grouping I've only seen "Date Movie" and I have to agree with the assessment.

caseman
12-26-06, 12:44 PM
I liked Lady in the Water. Pick of Destiny was ok, but only for Jack Black fans.

piratestef
12-26-06, 12:50 PM
I never saw any of those. The only one I might've been interested in would have been The Pick of Destiny. (Might rent it because I do love Jack Black.) Maybe Dupree, but...nah, it sounded tired. Like Van Wilder sans the college.

As for the others, there's a reason I never saw them...even the previews sounded pretty lame.

BaylorBabe
12-26-06, 12:57 PM
Eragon is not the kind of movie that's going to appeal to everyone, so I don't know if it's fair to include it (plus stuff that gets released later is easier to remember and more likely to show up on a list like this). Lady in the Water was not that bad, Shamalamawhatever has a hard road to hoe what with setting the bar high from Sixth Sense.

Friend With Money was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I can't believe it's not on this list. And I would rather poke needles in my eyes than watch some politically motivated piece of Brad Pitt crap like Babel, so that's on my list even if I've never seen it.

LinuxBear
12-26-06, 01:05 PM
Sorority Sisters 7.

Just didn't capture the magic, the je nais se quois of the first 6.

can't put my finger on it...........

....... although i tried.

- lfs

{ bhj grimacing }

{ cow wincing }

{ fish staring }

{ goat eating empty caramel filled bell wrapper }

{ sheep on desk }

{ fade }

DONNIE D
12-26-06, 01:06 PM
I wasn't to impressed with this "Two Mules For Sister Sarah" I saw last week. Had this guy named Eastwood for the lead. Not sure how old it was, but it was a little grainey on my tv. I swear their lips were moving at a different pace than the sound. Is this something new??:)

caseman
12-26-06, 01:11 PM
And I would rather poke needles in my eyes than watch some politically motivated piece of Brad Pitt crap like Babel, so that's on my list even if I've never seen it.

Just for the record, Christianity Today rates this one high, even with the R rating and the underlying theme of "poor oppressed foreigners good, oppressors, bad". This is the same Christianity Today who lambasted End of the Spear for hiring gay actors, instead of focusing on the Christian evangelism theme that runs throughout the story. The same Christianity Today that takes dumps on movies with any underlying liberal themes....so having never seen the movie, I would imagine it is either right wing (more than likely not) or apolitical.

The track record of Alejandro Inarritu is to make eye opening films with several seemingly unconnected plots all coming together at the end. 21 grams and Amores Perros are two of my favorite movies.....and not at all political.

I guess I will have to see this one with Aaron :(

caseman
12-26-06, 01:13 PM
I wasn't to impressed with this "Two Mules For Sister Sarah" I saw last week. Had this guy named Eastwood for the lead. Not sure how old it was, but it was a little grainey on my tv. I swear their lips were moving at a different pace than the sound. Is this something new??:)

Shirley MacLaine steals the show in that one. Great movie, though not as great as High Plains Drifter or Josey Wales or Hang em High or For a Few Dollars More....

BaylorBabe
12-26-06, 01:27 PM
Just for the record, Christianity Today rates this one high, even with the R rating and the underlying theme of "poor oppressed foreigners good, oppressors, bad". This is the same Christianity Today who lambasted End of the Spear for hiring gay actors, instead of focusing on the Christian evangelism theme that runs throughout the story. The same Christianity Today that takes dumps on movies with any underlying liberal themes....so having never seen the movie, I would imagine it is either right wing (more than likely not) or apolitical.

The track record of Alejandro Inarritu is to make eye opening films with several seemingly unconnected plots all coming together at the end. 21 grams and Amores Perros are two of my favorite movies.....and not at all political.

I guess I will have to see this one with Aaron :(

You know I'd do it for you. ;)

Sam Lowry
12-26-06, 01:44 PM
I thought The Grudge 2 was pretty good. My pick for worst would be World Trade Center, with Lady in the Water a close second.

BaylorBabe
12-26-06, 01:51 PM
Why didn't you like WTC Sam?

Sam Lowry
12-26-06, 02:12 PM
Why didn't you like WTC Sam?

I thought it had too much talk and too little going on. It's not that I don't like talky films; I just found the dialogue very boring in this one. The other thing was that it milked the emotion way too much, especially in the scenes with the firemen's families waiting for news. I think that sort of thing plays into the perception of America as weak and narcissistic. It embarrasses me to think of foreigners watching it, especially Muslims.

On a different note, United 93 is one of the best of the year, IMO. I'd recommend that one if you haven't seen it.

billytheskink
12-26-06, 03:11 PM
High School Musial was the worst movie I saw this year.

Texas Golfer
12-26-06, 03:57 PM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/12-22-06_4?GT1=7701

I think they're being a little too overly critical. I saw several of these and, although I probably wouldn't want to see them again, I didn't think they were so bad as to classify them as the worst of the year. Some, particularly the comedies, were pretty funny.

piratestef
12-26-06, 03:58 PM
High School Musial was the worst movie I saw this year.

...you saw it in the first place? ;)

Calling North Star...

groverbabyBU
12-26-06, 06:25 PM
Yay! didn't see any of them.

TrapIt4Life
12-27-06, 02:28 PM
How this article omits "Let's Go to Prison" as worst movie of 2006, I just...i just cant understand.

"Would you like some merlot? ... I made it in the toilet"

Jack Bauer
12-27-06, 03:04 PM
For Your Consideration was very bad IMHO.

When you consider the amount of talent they had and their previous successes (A Mighty Wind, Best in Show).

PepperMD
12-27-06, 03:26 PM
Rented:

You, Me, and Dupree : not great, but I wouldn't necessarily say that its one of the worst movies of the year. I would tell other people to rent it, but have low expectations.

Plan to rent:

Lady in the Water, Pick of Destiny, and Eragon. Again, expectations are low.

Pretty_N_Pink
12-27-06, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised You, Me and Dupree is on a Top 10 list. It wasn't one of my favorites, but it was cute.

Date Movie was God-awful; don't know how I was drug to that one.

Benchwarmers was the worst movie I've seen in a LONG time. I can't believe it's not on a Top 10 list.

I didn't see any of those other movies on the list, b/c they all looks bad in the previews.

caseman
12-27-06, 04:36 PM
For Your Consideration was very bad IMHO.

When you consider the amount of talent they had and their previous successes (A Mighty Wind, Best in Show).

agreed. major suckage in comparison to Best In Show. Supposedly it was aimed at Hollywood and if you were part of that scene, you would "get it". Thank the Lord I am not "part of that scene" (unless it would pave the way to meeting Rosario Dawson :eyes: )

Jack Bauer
12-27-06, 11:39 PM
From CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Oscar winners Russell Crowe, Nicolas Cage and Sean Penn starred in some of the year's biggest box office bombs, according to an analysis published Sunday by Variety, proving A-list stars are not invincible.

Crowe struck out with the romantic comedy "A Good Year," Cage with the horror remake "Wicker Man," and Penn with another remake, the political saga "All the King's Men."

High-profile directors such as M. Night Shyamalan ("Lady in the Water") and Wolfgang Petersen ("Poseidon") also made the hall of shame with their waterlogged movies.

The other films among its 10 biggest box office bombs were the erotic thriller sequel "Basic Instinct 2," the World War I aviation saga "Flyboys," the cartoon "Flushed Away," the transcendental love story "The Fountain," and the urban kidnapping thriller "Freedomland."

Variety said its alphabetically ordered list was determined by looking primarily at the ratio between a film's cost and its revenues. It noted that financial loss could be divided among various studios and other equity investors, while international box office receipts and DVD sales can restore some luster. (Watch some of the year's flops Video)

Based on figures cited in the article, the most unprofitable film appeared to be "Basic Instinct 2," a $70 million film that earned $5 million domestically, and continued actress Sharon Stone's 11-year string of bombs. But the German-backed film's domestic distributor, Sony Corp.'s Columbia Pictures, said at the time of its release that its financial exposure was limited.

More-spectacular misfires included "Flushed Away" with a $90 million shortfall between cost and domestic sales, and "Poseidon," which had a $100 million deficit, although it did well overseas.

Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Pictures, which had a dismal year at the box office, was the domestic distributor of four of the pictures: "The Fountain," "Lady in the Water," "Poseidon" and "Wicker Man." (Time Warner is also the parent company of CNN.) Columbia Pictures, the market leader with 13 No. 1 movies in 2006, also released "All the King's Men" and "Freedomland."

Closely held Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. handled "Flyboys," although software billionaire Larry Ellison put up almost half the $60 million budget. News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox released "A Good Year," and Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures "Flushed Away."

CLBear
12-28-06, 09:26 AM
Wow I truly forgot how much crap hollywood made this year.

Hopefully 07 will be better, but i'm not getting my hopes up. Let see how many remakes and sequels they can pull out.

macviolinist
12-28-06, 01:33 PM
Hmm. I must be the only one who liked "trust the man."

biffer
02-08-07, 09:24 AM
I actually liked Lady in the Water, The Grudge 2, My Super-Ex Girlfriend, Flyboys, and All the King's Men. None were great, but not nearly as bad as described.

The worst movies I saw this year: The Da Vinci Code, American Dreamz, Happy Feet, Date Movie, Failure to Launch, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

AnnieKinsella
02-08-07, 12:48 PM
What about Annapolis? Cheesy but one of Esq's favorite movies. In fact, he loves it so much he has it on the DVR to watch any time he so desires.

Jokerman
02-09-07, 11:57 AM
There was a public service film on avoiding the clap that wasn't that great. Wish I could remember the name, but I think it cast Powers Boothe as a well-meaning, yet emotionally divided pharmacist.

Then again, hasn't the VD/STD genre pretty much played itself out. Look to see what else Hollywood can throw at us in that vein.

PhiChi56
02-09-07, 12:12 PM
I know it came out in '07, and I saw it a couple of weeks ago, but this argument is completely illegitimate without putting "Children of Men" into the mix.

It was made in '06.

BaylorBabe
02-09-07, 12:21 PM
It's funny how subjective this stuff can be, I really enjoyed Children of Men, and there are other movies that people liked on here that I thought were wretched.

Ty McNeely
02-09-07, 01:05 PM
It's funny how subjective this stuff can be, I really enjoyed Children of Men, and there are other movies that people liked on here that I thought were wretched.

I have heard that Children of Men is an exceptional movie.

I also have not seen a SINGLE movie that was listed by anyone as being "bad" on here. I don't watch many movies at all, so I definitely steer clear of the bad ones.

I know a ton of people HATED Blood Diamond, but I thought it was a great movie.

BaylorBabe
02-09-07, 01:15 PM
I have heard that Children of Men is an exceptional movie.

I also have not seen a SINGLE movie that was listed by anyone as being "bad" on here. I don't watch many movies at all, so I definitely steer clear of the bad ones.

I know a ton of people HATED Blood Diamond, but I thought it was a great movie.

The only two from the "bad lists" that I saw were Poseidon and Lady in the Water. I liked Poseidon quite a bit actually but I never saw the first, and like I said earlier Lady in the Water was no Sixth Sense but it was OK.

I do not like Leo but Blood Diamond was actually pretty good. Jennifer Connelly was totally spare though.

Jokerman
02-09-07, 01:26 PM
Without ShelleyWinters & ErnestBorgnine, there is no justification for a Poseiden revisit.

... and I hain't even trotted out the unforgettable, the lovely, the talented RedButtons, sistas.

Stan_Huffman
02-10-07, 11:54 PM
Deja' Vu and The Departed were both terrible.

biffer
02-12-07, 09:29 AM
Epic Movie is even worse than Date Movie (if you thought that was impossible!).

BaylorBabe
02-12-07, 09:35 AM
Deja' Vu and The Departed were both terrible.

I didn't see Deja Vu but if you think The Departed was terrible your taste is seriously in question, at least to me.

nein51
02-12-07, 09:40 AM
I finally saw the new Bond film the other night. I think that means I officially saw 1 movie at the theatre in 2006, The Lakehouse.

Bond for the first in 2007...wonder if I will see another.

BigKBU26
02-13-07, 09:51 PM
Wicker Man is the worst movie that I have EVER seen. I was also very disappointed in The Santa Claus 3.

marcusdean
02-13-07, 10:45 PM
Children of Men? That movie was great!

And Those Twins
02-14-07, 11:22 AM
Miami Vice

BaylorBabe
02-14-07, 11:41 AM
Wicker Man is the worst movie that I have EVER seen. I was also very disappointed in The Santa Claus 3.

:lol: I am disappointed in you for seeing the Santa Clause 3.

biffer
02-15-07, 01:13 PM
While I enjoyed Children of Men, I can see why some don't like it. It's probably too dark and depressing for some, and it leaves too many things unexplained.

John Shaft
02-15-07, 06:51 PM
This was why I did not see any movies in the theatre in 2006. NOT A SINGLE ONE, for the first time ever. They keep jacking up ticket prices for worse and worse piles of festering crap. The only good side is that the movies are getting shorter, which means less time to have to actually sit in the theatre and endure. Why don't I just set $12 on fire instead of watching the same "this joke is for the sub 60 IQs" potty humor regurgitated in yet another "film." I've watched better movies on YouTube than Hollywood has squeezed out recently.

Sam Lowry
02-18-07, 05:16 PM
Just got through watching Flags of our Fathers. That one should go near the top of the list, IMO. What an awful piece of work. It's not Clint's fault, though; it was the script.