Red Auerbach
Ed Bradley
Jack Palance
Milton Friedman
Bo Schembechler
Jeane Kirkpatrick
Peter Boyle
Lamar Hunt
Joe Barbera (the creator of the other "Yogi")
James Brown
Bill Daniel (local celebrity)

Infamous People who died in '06:
Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi
Ken Lay

PlanoBear
12-26-06, 02:28 PM
Other notables in addition to yours:

Steve Irwin - the "Crocodile Hunter"
Trevor Berbick - former heavyweight champ
Joe Niekro - former pitcher mostly as an Astro
Mike Evans - Lionel Jefferson on the TV show
Mike Douglas - talk show host
Mickey Spillane - private eye novelist
Randy Walker - Northwestern's football coach
Joan Ramsey - JonBenet's mom
Steve Mizerak - famous pool player
Craig "Ironhead" Hayward - NFL player
Lloyd Bensen - TX politician
Floyd Patterson - another famous boxer
Earl Woods - Tiger's dad
Louis Rukeyser - Wall Street author, TV host
Steve Howe - MLB pitcher
Caspar Weinberger - Reagan cabinet member
Paul Dana - 30 yr old racecar driver
Ray Meyer - Depaul's longtime BB coach
Maureen Stapleton - Oscar winning actress
Slobodan Milosevic - Yugoslavian Pres. (makes your last list)
Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion - hall of fame NHL player
Curt Gowdy - sports broadcaster
Peter Benchley - author Jaws
Chris Penn - actor brother of Sean Penn
Shelley Winters - Oscar winning actress
Lou Rawls - singer

piratestef
12-26-06, 02:30 PM
my sanity.

...also makes the last list.

eastdallasloco
12-26-06, 02:31 PM
what about bevo

piratestef
12-26-06, 02:35 PM
what about bevo

Also on the second list, and also on my Christmas dinner plate. Mmmmm, steak. :lick:

Texas Golfer
12-26-06, 03:33 PM
Too many from each list which makes it certainly way too many total. May they all RIP.

HoustonMedBear
12-26-06, 04:23 PM
you know what they all had in common:

they all breathed oxygen when they were alive, thus making them no different from any of us. I couldn't care less about "famous" people. I'm not glad that they died, but I have way more important things to do (like learn how to keep people off this list).

Sorry if this post comes off as cynical or rude. It's not intended to do that. I am not unmoved by the loss of life, but this list just annoys me. Many others died this year that made a huge impact in the "world" (community) in which they lived, and they never made this list. They aren't less important because they weren't famous.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting. Continue to add to your list. I think my sanity/ pride/ intelligence might also make this list, if it were famous.

Good day, everyone!!

Yogi
12-26-06, 04:27 PM
Correct: the difference between famous people who died and non-famous people who died is that people have heard of the famous people and actually care whether or not the famous people died.

Your point was well made. :)

you know what they all had in common:

they all breathed oxygen when they were alive, thus making them no different from any of us. I couldn't care less about "famous" people. I'm not glad that they died, but I have way more important things to do (like learn how to keep people off this list).

Sorry if this post comes off as cynical or rude. It's not intended to do that. I am not unmoved by the loss of life, but this list just annoys me. Many others died this year that made a huge impact in the "world" (community) in which they lived, and they never made this list. They aren't less important because they weren't famous.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting. Continue to add to your list. I think my sanity/ pride/ intelligence might also make this list, if it were famous.

Good day, everyone!!

HoustonMedBear
12-26-06, 04:49 PM
Yes, the famous people who died made a large impact in peoples' lives, but the people on that list rarely make a personal impact on any regular human's life.

As soon as I posted that, I swore to myself that I wouln't take the post down, but I knew it would draw heat.

I'm still having trouble distinguishing between subject and predicate of your post, but I assume it was in mockery of what I had said based on the smiley face.

The only people who might have even had an impact in your life off that list were Ann Richards or any Bensen or any other Texas politician. I doubt James Brown had a big effect on your life. Furthermore, if he were alive, would he care if it were you that died? I somehow doubt it.

Why do Americans preoccupy themselves with celebrities' lives when their own are in shambles? I couldn't care less about mainstream fashion or Hollywood dating, etc. The only encounter I have with Hollywood is watching movies, and I do so for entertainment.

This is one of my biggest hangups with current American society!! It irks me so much that so many Americans care more about who is dating whom than they care about their own lives.

I will resolve to leave it there. You and I are not going to agree on much. You are a lawyer and I am a doctor-to-be. We believe and see the world differently.

Yogi
12-26-06, 05:04 PM
Yes, the famous people who died made a large impact in peoples' lives, but the people on that list rarely make a personal impact on any regular human's life.

As soon as I posted that, I swore to myself that I wouln't take the post down, but I knew it would draw heat.

I'm still having trouble distinguishing between subject and predicate of your post, but I assume it was in mockery of what I had said based on the smiley face.

The only people who might have even had an impact in your life off that list were Ann Richards or any Bensen or any other Texas politician. I doubt James Brown had a big effect on your life. Furthermore, if he were alive, would he care if it were you that died? I somehow doubt it.

Why do Americans preoccupy themselves with celebrities' lives when their own are in shambles? I couldn't care less about mainstream fashion or Hollywood dating, etc. The only encounter I have with Hollywood is watching movies, and I do so for entertainment.

This is one of my biggest hangups with current American society!! It irks me so much that so many Americans care more about who is dating whom than they care about their own lives.

I will resolve to leave it there. You and I are not going to agree on much. You are a lawyer and I am a doctor-to-be. We believe and see the world differently.

Hey, I don't proofread these posts. That's what I pay a secretary for. ;) (she's fired)

I am mocking you, but only because you are stating the obvious.

It's hard to care about the others because I don't know them. If I did, then I would care that they died.

I'll bet most people on these boards don't know my Aunt Dorothy, who had a much larger effect on my life than James Brown, but nobody is going to care whether or not she passed away this past year.

I understand your point, but this is just meant for light-hearted reflection - that's it.

Believe me: every poster here agrees with your opinion, but that is not the objective of this thread.

PlanoBear
12-26-06, 05:19 PM
Houston - while I agree with some of your points, I don't see why this list touched such a nerve. The title was "famous" people who died and stated nothing about them being more important than anyone else who died. I had a close friend and a close family member pass away this year. Both were way too young. I think the list just reminds me to never take life, or anything for the matter, for granted.

I think you're reading way too much into this list. Life is too short (no pun intended) to argue about something like this. Now I'll get off my soapbox.

HoustonMedBear
12-26-06, 06:06 PM
I think I'll step off mine now. I probably overreacted to this thread, and I'm glad you agree with me, Yogi.

I know I am stating the obvious, but I guess what really pissed me off was standing in line at the grocery store the other day and having to look at nothing but actresses who are anorexic and celebrity weddings on magazine covers, when their lives are absolute train wrecks, and yet they are placed on a golden throne by the majority of Americans. This was a convenient way to get that out, and I obviously pissed some people off (although that wasn't my original intent).

I think I'm done with my discourse on what's wrong with America, and I will continue to post as needed. Sorry for pissing anyone/ everyone off.

Texas Golfer
12-26-06, 06:32 PM
A couple of more famous people just to piss MedBear off: June Allyson and Red Buttons.

Bigshot628
12-26-06, 06:45 PM
I think a big problem in America is people getting overly pissed off over insignificant things. I mean, what's the big deal? Learn to let things go, take a chill pill, grab a couple drinks, everything is going to be ok...

PlanoBear
12-26-06, 07:25 PM
I think I'm done with my discourse on what's wrong with America, and I will continue to post as needed. Sorry for pissing anyone/ everyone off.

I don't think anyone is pissed. Now on to other important topics in life, like football.

Santa Claus
12-26-06, 07:43 PM
Add Rudolph the Red-Nosed Eggnog-Mooching Reindeer to that list. Best damn venison sausages ever!

BHJ
12-26-06, 07:48 PM
burle ives.

- bhj

PlanoBear
12-26-06, 09:13 PM
burle ives.

- bhj

Pretty sure that was actually last year.

BHJ
12-26-06, 09:21 PM
actually it was 1995.

- bored bhj

PlanoBear
12-26-06, 09:52 PM
You can now add Gerald Ford to the list.

groverbabyBU
12-26-06, 09:53 PM
its on the news now PB.

BHJ
12-26-06, 09:54 PM
gerald 'fore' ford.......

piratestef
12-26-06, 10:01 PM
They're dropping like flies, I tell you! Flies!

Remind me to never become famous, 'k?