PDA

View Full Version : Cars in Colorado?

BaylorGuy314
12-27-06, 12:01 PM
I'm going skiing in Summit County soon and am ready to rent a car.

I'm only going to be traversing major roads.

The lady who owns the condo we're renting has lived in the area for 15 years and says she has always owned a 2wd and been fine because they keep the roads in such good shape.

Would a midsized FWD car work fine? There is a huge price jump from a FWD midsized sedan and a 4WD SUV.

AmarilloBear
12-27-06, 12:08 PM
I'm assuming you are saying front wheel drive (FWD). If so this is a good choice for a rental on major roads with a lot of ice and snow underfoot as well as Black Ice . You will be fine with that. Living in Amarillo we get 2-3 feet of snow per year and my front wheel drive cars have always done very well in the ice and snow.

BaylorGuy314
12-27-06, 12:12 PM
I'm assuming you are saying front wheel drive (FWD). If so this is a good choice for a rental on major roads with a lot of ice and snow underfoot as well as Black Ice . You will be fine with that. Living in Amarillo we get 2-3 feet of snow per year and my front wheel drive cars have always done very well in the ice and snow.

Yes, I was saying FWD. Sorry for the confusion. I've been told several times that this will be fine, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Pretty_N_Pink
12-27-06, 01:29 PM
When my best friend and I went a couple summers ago, we were on a pretty strict budget, so we just got a compact car from Enterprise. We ended up with a 2WD Hyndai something or another and it worked well enough for us to "climb" to the top of Pike's Peak. We went all over the place in that POS - Estes Park, Breckenridge, Colorado Springs and a few other little mountain towns. They'll try to get you to upgrade, b/c you're from out of town, but I wouldn't do it.

caseman
12-27-06, 02:42 PM
dude, you probably better rent a Hummer

DONNIE D
12-27-06, 02:48 PM
dude, you probably better rent a HummerI was thinking the same thing. He already bought a diamond this year, what's a rental hummer to a guy like B.:lol:

kbrun
12-27-06, 04:27 PM
When my best friend and I went a couple summers ago, we were on a pretty strict budget, so we just got a compact car from Enterprise. We ended up with a 2WD Hyndai something or another and it worked well enough for us to "climb" to the top of Pike's Peak. We went all over the place in that POS - Estes Park, Breckenridge, Colorado Springs and a few other little mountain towns. They'll try to get you to upgrade, b/c you're from out of town, but I wouldn't do it.

There's a difference driving in Colorado in the summer. With ice and snow, you would benefit from the front wheel drive vehicle

Dean/Sharpton04
12-28-06, 05:25 AM
We lived in Colorado for a number of years. One of the most memorial winter sights was seeing our fellow Texans hauling butt through the snow heading up to the ski resorts. It was pretty familiar to see the end results up the road......in the ditch, upside down, etc. If you are not an experienced Winter driver it is best to be cautious and live to see the mountains!

Two of the best suggestions......slow down and give yourself room to avoid any unanticipated danger. If you are sliding on ice place the car in neutral....the weight of the car can help you slow down.

BaylorGuy314
12-28-06, 09:29 AM
It looks like it will be pretty snowy while I'm there. And no, I'm not used to driving in snow- only done it a handful of times.

We're staying in Dillon, so most of the stuff we'll need will be close by. There are also lots of buses that we will take advantage of that transport skiers to the bases of the resorts, so that will help. I'm hoping we won't have to drive far in the ice. Good thing is that we're staying a mile off of I-70 and I've heard that they take good care of that road.

:::Crosses fingers:::

Ty McNeely
12-28-06, 10:27 AM
Stop being a pansy and get a SUV.

Pretty_N_Pink
12-28-06, 10:37 AM
It looks like it will be pretty snowy while I'm there. And no, I'm not used to driving in snow- only done it a handful of times.

We're staying in Dillon, so most of the stuff we'll need will be close by. There are also lots of buses that we will take advantage of that transport skiers to the bases of the resorts, so that will help. I'm hoping we won't have to drive far in the ice. Good thing is that we're staying a mile off of I-70 and I've heard that they take good care of that road.

:::Crosses fingers:::

Dillon is a great little town (my aunt had a condo there) and you're so close to Breckenridge that you really should be able to get around using public transportation. I-70 and all of the major highways/roads are well taken care of there, but just be careful on the roads coming off I-70.

Dean/Sharpton04
12-29-06, 08:33 PM
Dillon is a great little town (my aunt had a condo there) and you're so close to Breckenridge that you really should be able to get around using public transportation. I-70 and all of the major highways/roads are well taken care of there, but just be careful on the roads coming off I-70.

My grandson just drove a Land Rover from Cherry Creek up to Breckenridge - 6 1/2 hours. Snowboarding has been neck deep he says!

We had an Audi Quattro when we lived in Colorado. That car was unreal in the snow. It also never labored going up to Eisenhauer Pass.

elm mott the hoople
12-31-06, 12:17 AM
FWD will be fine. We ride up nearly every weekend in the RWD Suburban we bought while living in Texas. Never a problem. The key is, if it snows, go slow. Even 4WD will not help you stop, and not stopping is the thing that gets most people in trouble (and ditches).