PDA

View Full Version : Which ski areas should we hit? (Summit County)

BaylorGuy314
01-02-07, 09:04 AM
Leaving Saturday morning to go to Summit County. Fiance and I are trying to decide which resorts to hit up.

Copper Mountain (heard great things)
Breckenridge
Keystone
Vail
Arapahoe Basin

We'll ski at least three days. We're closest to Keystone. Farthest from Vail.

Right now, depending on the weather, I'm leaning to:

Keystone
Copper Mountain
Breckenridge

eastdallasloco
01-02-07, 09:11 AM
copper has the best terrain and shortest lines.
keystone is not bad nor is breck.
never been to vail or a basin but im sure both are good and fairly certain vail will have some longer lift lines.

bigc
01-02-07, 09:13 AM
You really can't go wrong at any of them. A-Basin is smaller, but offers some amazing skiing on the top of the mountain if you are good skier. Definitely not the resort feel of the others on your list.

BaylorGuy314
01-02-07, 09:17 AM
Should I be worried about the lines at this time of year?

Usually I spring ski and the lines are very short.

College and high school should both be back in session at most places across the country by next week.

And, by the way, are these good prices for lift tickets?

http://www.livewiretickets.net/skiweb/ticketpricematrix.asp?posid=66&catid=68&controlid=1&langid=EN

I'm used to paying about $50 to ski all day, although I'm usually skiing in Nevada in the spring.

The Breckenridge/Keystone deal offers two days of skiing in three consecutive days at $156.00. Copper is $78. $234 sounds a bit expensive for three days of skiing (before rentals), but that may just be what it's like in CO these days.

ABasin and Loveland seems to be cheaper, but I've heard that I really need to try those first three before the others.

BaylorOkie
01-02-07, 09:17 AM
I've only been to the three you're planning on going to, and I really liked all of them. Agree on Copper Mountain. It was pretty efficient when I was there.

J.R.
01-02-07, 09:29 AM
I prefer Vail hands down. Much larger than the others with more varied terrain.

Trader Bear
01-02-07, 09:43 AM
Went to Keystone last year. While the lift ticket was good at Breck, A-Basin and for one day at Vail, I ended staying all three days at Keystone. Ruled Vail out simply because of the travel time. It's not far, but that was an hour I could be sleeping or skiing or something. Yes Vail is great but when you are an amateur like me, the lift lines mean more than location. According to some of my friends that did go to Vail during that trip (and we were there on a Friday through Monday), the lift lines at Vail that Friday were longer than anything we had to deal with at Keystone.

Ultimately didn't go to the others because Keystone was walking distance fromt he condo, and the others would have involved a short bus ride.

While there, don't neglect to go the Snake River Saloon. Ate there last year and had a great time and wonderful meal after quite an adventure trying to find the place (we had some bad directions).

Dean/Sharpton04
01-02-07, 09:56 AM
the back bowls of Copper are the least crowded and the best powder. for that reason you will also run into a lot of celebs out skiing away from the crowds......

boxster
01-02-07, 10:53 AM
Arapaho Basin is going to be c-c-cold. I think I'd steer clear of Arapaho Basin until spring.

SoTexBear
01-02-07, 11:52 AM
I'll be at Copper at the end of the month/beginning of Feb. Can't wait.

Might try boarding instead of skiing.

elm mott the hoople
01-02-07, 12:20 PM
If you'll be up here this weekend, the crowds won't be too bad anywhere. Worse on Sat and Sunday than during the week, and almost non-existent during the week. I'm partial to Copper, but Breck is OK if you stay away from Peak 9. Lines aren't too bad at Peak 7, 8 or 10. 8 is second worst. I've hated Keystone for thirty years, and essentially refuse to go there even though they've made a few improvements. Not too rational, I know, but my opinion. Vail is a 45-minute drive from Dillon. Skip it. A-Basin is a small area that you will either love (if you like skiing blues and blacks above timberline) or hate (if you like oxygen or green slopes). I love it.

Don't be a sucker for those prices. Stop by any Safeway, King Soopers, or ski rental place on the way up (the further downhill the better) and you'll get way better prices.

eastdallasloco
01-02-07, 12:46 PM

word of advice: wear a helmet. i started boarding and did it for about 3 years before quitting for good. i got a couple of slight conussions from falling on my ace. since then back to skiing and enjoying my time on the slopes.

oh yeah i forgot to add that boarding is the most fun thing in the world if its powdery but its terrible if its icy.

BaylorGuy314
01-02-07, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Keep it coming.

bigc
01-02-07, 01:22 PM
What level skiers are you and your fiance?

BaylorGuy314
01-02-07, 01:58 PM
I prefer to ski blues (they are the most enjoyable for me), although I don't mind the easier side of blacks. Anything more than that and it's more chore than fun for me.

I'm neither talented enough nor in good enough physical shape to conquer the double diamonds. And I'm too retarded to figure out moguls.

She's a more aggressive skier than myself.

FuzzyBUMagnet
01-02-07, 08:50 PM
If you don't do moguls, then stay away from Vail. Someone said that it has "different kinds of terrain." I suppose they were right if they meant many different kinds of moguls. For a purely recreational skier, it was a rude awakening. I liked Breck the best. It offered something for both me (a very inexperienced skier) and my girlfriend (a very experienced snowboarder who used to live there). It worked out really well for everyone. Keystone was cool too, but the villages weren't as fun as Breck.

BearChick
01-02-07, 10:32 PM

I'll be in Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico at the end of the month. I'll be wearing a bathing suit and not a parka. I can't wait.

(FTR, I despise cold weather and I can't ski, which has a lot to do with my location choice...but all of y'all have fun.)

Ghostrider
01-02-07, 10:35 PM
Why go to Cozmuel when you have the paradise of Galveston? :)

BearChick
01-02-07, 10:45 PM
Because I can go anywhere I'd like to go for 5 months out of the year while the rest of the world works, and then the other 7 months I work on a beach.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 07:41 AM
uhhh, it called making $$$$ during those 5 mos

smp13
01-03-07, 10:23 AM
word of advice: wear a helmet. i started boarding and did it for about 3 years before quitting for good. i got a couple of slight conussions from falling on my ace. since then back to skiing and enjoying my time on the slopes.

oh yeah i forgot to add that boarding is the most fun thing in the world if its powdery but its terrible if its icy.
I concur...my son got me to do this last year and the next 3 days all I did was board...more fun, more control and it doesn't hurt my "disco knee"..

BearChick
01-03-07, 10:27 AM
Rush,

You think I don't make money?

I make money 12 months a year. I just did my payroll. My check will be here tomorrow. I get up and leave my house and go to work 7 of those months. I work in a cubicle for someone else none of those months.

Solan=Christ!!!
01-03-07, 10:37 AM
His life is better than yours, BC. Just accept it. The rest of us have.

BearChick
01-03-07, 11:00 AM
You're right. We can't all be married to Aggies, Solan. Some of us had to marry people who love Baylor. What shall we do?

Solan=Christ!!!
01-03-07, 11:09 AM
Embrace the envy. Let it consume you. If you pass on through the fires of Ru****ude, you may be worthy to be one of his disciples.

Edit: How appropriate. That should read "Rush-itude."

BearChick
01-03-07, 11:56 AM
Eh, I'll just sit here in pajamas, working on my latest book for the agent, while some people make lots of money in cubicles.

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 12:00 PM
Personally I really enjoy skiing the blues at Breckinridge. They also have some great blue/black runs. Have fun!

bobo
01-03-07, 12:40 PM
A-Basin rocks. It is my favorite place to ski. Short lift lines and challenging runs.

BaylorBabe
01-03-07, 12:48 PM
Solan - sh!tude :lol: That's funny.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 01:46 PM
Rush,

You think I don't make money?

I make money 12 months a year. I just did my payroll. My check will be here tomorrow. I get up and leave my house and go to work 7 of those months. I work in a cubicle for someone else none of those months.
Who works in a cube? I've never seen a very profitable restaurant that is only open 7 mos of the year. Maybe Mary Kay is doing better than most??

BaylorGuy314
01-03-07, 01:53 PM
Who works in a cube?een a very profitable restaurant that is only open 7 mos of the year. Maybe Mary Kay is doing better than most??

I also een for a profitable restaurant. I een for it so bad, it keeps me up at nights. Honest.

Solan=Christ!!!
01-03-07, 01:56 PM
Who works in a cube?een a very profitable restaurant that is only open 7 mos of the year. Maybe Mary Kay is doing better than most??

See, BC he even has power over the english language.

For instance "cube?een" is now a word. I'm not sure what it means yet, but with enough prayers to the Rush Idol I hope for some divine clarification

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 01:58 PM
It's called wireless keyboard w/ **** batteries....that was a clever one though...

BaylorGuy314
01-03-07, 02:08 PM
Rush,

You've honestly never seen a profitable restaurant that's only open for part of the year?

There are a myriad of seasonal businesses that are successful and profitable.

Outside Sales
01-03-07, 02:27 PM
Rush,

You've honestly never seen a profitable restaurant that's only open for part of the year?Cyclone Corral. Open Fri & Sat 5:30 PM to 10 PM (April thru October).

Outside Sales
01-03-07, 02:35 PM
I'll be in Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico at the end of the month. I'll be wearing a bathing suit and not a parka. I can't wait.BC, while in Cozumel, be sure to eat at LA CHOZA (Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas #198, at Avenue 10).

And in Costa Maya, rent a bike, take a cab, or just walk and take advantage of Mahahual.

Wacoso
01-03-07, 03:39 PM
We ate at La Choza last time. I know where we will be eating at least once. Carnerio De Oro on 25th and San Benito in town. F'n unreal tacos, guac, soup, etc... Just an open air, corner type of place that will make you return everytime.

Rush,

I think netting what we did in 3 months (July-Sept) will lead me to very happy lifestyle when we run the full 7 months. Also, we will have 2 more locations this year for holidays, weekends, and big events. Is that a cash register I hear ringing in the near future? Why, yes it is. Look honey, another burger out the door from this burger flipper. Did they just buy $200 worth of souvenirs as well? Really? What about the shirts? Thanks for stopping in and come back next year.

master bray'tec
01-03-07, 06:18 PM
Back on topic:

I love both Breck and Keystone.

If your fiancee is confident on skis, don't be afraid to hit the back side of Keystone and the two back mountains. Mozart is a fun, wide open blue to down to the backside of Keystone and to the other two peaks.

If you fiancee likes to just relax on skis and not push it, find the "Toads" run at Keystone. Its off the map (or used to be) and you have to look for it, but the skiiers that like to relax always love Toads.

I really like Breck but find it to be incredibly windy.

If you like challenging blues, make sure you go up the falcon express (I believe) at Breck and come down the blue run "falcon ____" Its a *steep* long blue run with no moguls. Word of advice, unless your fiancee really, really likes to push it hard on a ski trip don't take her up the falcon express.

In Frisco, you can reserve skis online from Antlers at pretty favorable rates. You can also purchase lift tickets there at a favorable rate that are good at multiple resorts. You buy 3 days worth of tickets for Breck, Keystone, Vail, & A -Basin and then decide how to use those 3 days. I *think* Copper is included on those, but I'm not sure.

Call them before you leave and they'll be able to tell you how much lift tickets are going for there. FYI: Bring a credit card b/c that is the only way to pay for lift tickets at Antlers.

There is a place along I-70 about 25 minutes east of Frisco that has the world's greatest wood buring pizza oven. Literally, the pizza is to die for but the name of the joint escapes me right now. Maybe somebody else can help out.

One thing I would suggest, you'll find that there are a lot of fun runs at both Keystone and Breck, more than you could likely ski in just one day, so maybe consider just getting to know one of those resorts well by spending a couple days there.

BearChick
01-03-07, 07:50 PM
Who works in a cube? I've never seen a very profitable restaurant that is only open 7 mos of the year. Maybe Mary Kay is doing better than most??

The MK does fine, but that's just spending money, El Rushbo. We net enough in 7 months to allow us to be closed when tourist season is not in session. And this year, we're expanding operations. We also cater on the side. However, we are a retail store with a beachside grill. We don't run a restaurant.

It's good work if you can get it.

deltbear
01-03-07, 08:36 PM
Which ski areas will have the most runs open, thats one of the most important questions. Vail may be huge but if its only operating at 50% then its no better than ____.

eastdallasloco
01-03-07, 08:51 PM
I know that pizza joint and I wanna say its in golden but I forget the name as well. Johnny maguires sandwiches in aspen is the best place ever. I think there is one in breck also.

BaylorGuy314
01-03-07, 09:01 PM
Which ski areas will have the most runs open, thats one of the most important questions. Vail may be huge but if its only operating at 50% then its no better than ____.

Colorado has had plenty of snow, so most of the major ski areas have very solid bases (40"+).

Dean/Sharpton04
01-03-07, 09:27 PM
Colorado has an oldie but a goodie worth trying....Steamboat!

Great for families....laid back and reasonably priced.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 11:06 PM
I liked Purgatory as well....at least 10 yrs ago

SoTexBear
01-04-07, 06:02 AM
Quincy's in Leadville, CO...Mmmmm! Great steaks!

elm mott the hoople
01-04-07, 12:03 PM
braytec, you're probably thinking of Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs. Legendary, but it's not as good as it used to be. Still pretty good, though.

master bray'tec
01-04-07, 09:22 PM
braytec, you're probably thinking of Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs. Legendary, but it's not as good as it used to be. Still pretty good, though.

I haven't been there in two years, why has the quality dropped off?

Its the only pizza place I've ever been to where I had to wait an hour and a half for a table.

elm mott the hoople
01-05-07, 08:51 AM
dunno. perhaps we just had a bad visit last time. i wouldn't heistate to go there, as bad beau jo's pizza is better than just about any other pizza you can think of. as to why, perhaps it's too big. probably don't have to wait 90 min for a table now, as they seem to own the whole block. back in the day, when they only owned one section, that was madness.

TrapIt4Life
01-05-07, 08:55 PM
dunno. perhaps we just had a bad visit last time. i wouldn't heistate to go there, as bad beau jo's pizza is better than just about any other pizza you can think of. as to why, perhaps it's too big. probably don't have to wait 90 min for a table now, as they seem to own the whole block. back in the day, when they only owned one section, that was madness.

I had Beau Jo's in idaho springs today, coming down from Vail, 'twas as delicious as always