PDA

View Full Version : Dell Printer Cartridge Refill?

Coke Bear
01-02-07, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know if and how Dell Printer Ink cartridges can be refilled?

BearChick
01-02-07, 04:35 PM
Lots of places say you can refill them. I've never tried. I just buy the ink online from Dell. Then I don't have to worry about some cartridge refill place doing it wrong and having the ink leak out and screw up my printer. Yeah, it happens.

Coke Bear
01-02-07, 11:28 PM
Then I don't have to worry about some cartridge refill place doing it wrong and having the ink leak out and screw up my printer. Yeah, it happens.
Thanks. I've been afraid to try that for that very reason. Looks like I'll just order it from Dell (again and again and ...)

Ghostrider
01-02-07, 11:31 PM
usually you can buy generic ones on the net that are cheaper and work just as well....

macviolinist
01-03-07, 03:11 AM
All InkJet printers are essentially disposable. There is no reason to worry about a refill screwing up the printer; you are getting screwed in the wallet. For the price of the printer (which usually comes with a crippled or B/W only cartridge) plus 2 refills, you can get a decent laser which will print faster and more reliably and be fixable in the event of a problem. You will get thousands of pages out of a toner cartridge that costs only a little more than an inkjet refill does. Plus, you don't have to worry about clogging the print-heads or letting the printer sit idle for a month.

Unless you absolutely must have color printing, get yourself a B/W laser printer. Hell, color lasers are getting to be affordable.

InkJets are a scam. Do not buy them. Do not refill them. Throw yours in the nearest dumpster and start saving money.

It's tempting to want to make an exception for dedicated photo printers. Don't. Few people need prints on demand on a regular basis. If you are doing that much photography work, costs dictate that you need a color laser printer. If you aren't printing that many photos, you will spend a small fortune replacing full ink cartridges that dried out and clogged from lack of use. Between the cost of glossy photo paper and the ink cartridges, it adds up to as much as or more than photo-processing at your nearest 1-hour shop. Numerous online places will process your digital photos for much less and inlude nice album binding.

If, having read that, you insist on getting screwed by the man, you may find it helpful to know that Dell actually doesn't make any printers. They sell re-branded Lexmark (IBM) printers. The actual functions/models are different, but the cartridges are the same; you just have to find out which Lexmark cartridge fits which Dell POS.

Alternately, you could do a Google search for "Dell Printer Refill" cheap, and check the top hit for a kit. Then again, any time you put "Dell" and "Cheap" in the same query, you are going to find a lot of worthless sh!t, so you take your chances.

Happy hunting.

BearFan04
01-03-07, 08:33 AM
If, having read that, you insist on getting screwed by the man, you may find it helpful to know that Dell actually doesn't make any printers. They sell re-branded Lexmark (IBM) printers. The actual functions/models are different, but the cartridges are the same; you just have to find out which Lexmark cartridge fits which Dell POS.

I came here to say exactly that. Just buy Lexmark cartridges. You might have to snip the tiny plastic tab in the printer's cartridge socket. BTW, the purpose of that tab is... to prevent you from using Lexmark cartridges. That's it, friends.