That is all

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 11:43 AM
Young man, you travel more than I do!!!

CammoTX
01-03-07, 11:45 AM
Young man, you travel more than I do!!!

I had never been there before.

The sauce is amazing. They had the best sausage I had ever eaten. Brisket was great and the ribs were fantastic.

Next time I go there I am going to do the bottomless bbq for like $16. I will eat them out of house and home!

BearChick
01-03-07, 11:46 AM
We had our rehearsal dinner at Salt Lick (out at their mansion just down the road from the main Salt Lick.) Good times.

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 12:03 PM
I know it's just a filler, but the bread there is also incredible. Mmm. You're making me hungry, and I just ate.

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 12:35 PM
Isn't this the place that serves it home style at the table? Out by Lake Travis?

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 12:40 PM
Isn't this the place that serves it home style at the table? Out by Lake Travis?

It's in Driftwood right next to Buda outside of Austin. Not really out by Lake Travis...that's another direction. :)

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 12:43 PM
I must be thinking about somewhere different.

Big tables where everyone sits together, beans in a big bowl, meat on big platters, everyone just passes it around.

Yogi
01-03-07, 12:43 PM
They had the best sausage I had ever eaten.

Man, if I had a penny every time I heard that one...

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 12:44 PM
I must be thinking about somewhere different.

Big tables where everyone sits together, beans in a big bowl, meat on big platters, everyone just passes it around.

No, that's it. Maybe there's a section of LT out that way, but I didn't think so. Who knows, Lake Travis is massive. ;)

Gaspergou
01-03-07, 12:45 PM
The Salt Lick is a lot of things, but it is NOT by Lake Travis. Unless we want to say that Georgetown is by Lake Travis.

eastdallasloco
01-03-07, 12:45 PM
i thought it was in wemberley. i also heard that they are building one out at joe pool lake but that might be completely false.

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 12:46 PM
No, that's it. Maybe there's a section of LT out that way, but I didn't think so. Who knows, Lake Travis is massive. ;)We were skiing at the lake one day and went there. We use to ski up the river under the bridge. Maybe it's on the other side of the lake. Many years ago.

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 12:47 PM
i thought it was in wemberley. i also heard that they are building one out at joe pool lake but that might be completely false.

Wimberly is past Driftwood, but the SL is in Driftwood.

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 12:52 PM
Allie, is it out toward Willie's? (Dripping Springs)

Wacoso
01-03-07, 01:24 PM
Over-rated, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

Hit Lockhart or Llano for BBQ.

Salt Lick is good, but not great.

eastdallasloco
01-03-07, 01:26 PM
angelo's in fort worth is awesome, joe allens in abilene, the country tavern in kilgore and bodacious in mulitple places in e tx are my favs.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 01:44 PM
Salt Lick is the best bbq in the state....beats both Lockhart and Llano IMO....been going to the salt lick for over 25 yrs now....

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 01:45 PM
We had our rehearsal dinner at Salt Lick (out at their mansion just down the road from the main Salt Lick.) Good times.
That use to be the owners house...

Bexar Fan
01-03-07, 01:53 PM
We were skiing at the lake one day and went there. We use to ski up the river under the bridge. Maybe it's on the other side of the lake. Many years ago.
Are you sure you're not talking about the Oasis? Great view and sunsets.....but the BBQ sucks.

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 01:57 PM
Are you sure you're not talking about the Oasis? Great view and sunsets.....but the BBQ sucks.

Or let's just say ALL the food is awful there. However, since the fire, they apparently have a brand new menu. I've heard several people say in disbelief now that the food is actually good.

Rush, I agree. EXCELLENT BBQ, however I also love The County Line.

Bexar Fan
01-03-07, 02:00 PM
Or let's just say ALL the food is awful there. However, since the fire, they apparently have a brand new menu. I've heard several people say in disbelief now that the food is actually good.
IF someone can verify that the food is edible, then I'll try it again.

......otherwise......at the Oasis......I'll have sunsets and BEER....thanx.

Austin Bear
01-03-07, 02:01 PM
I'm with Wacoso; the Lick is good, but not great. But drive on down 183 to Lockhart, then keep on going to Luling. City Market's where it's at for me.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 02:04 PM

Rush, I agree. EXCELLENT BBQ, however I also love The County Line.
The County Line here in Houston is AWFUL....is the county line in Austin that you are referring to? Heard good things about it. Is it the same owners as in Houston?

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 02:04 PM
Are you sure you're not talking about the Oasis? Great view and sunsets.....but the BBQ sucks.Buddy, I'm not sure . I'm now confused. We would go by Hippie Hollow then up the river from there (a long ways) under a bridge (I thought was the hwy to Marble Falls). Then back and head toward Dripping Springs for a night of drinking and dancing.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 02:05 PM
been there done that....good bbq as well..my 2nd fav

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 02:05 PM
The County Line here in Houston is AWFUL....is the county line in Austin that you are referring to? Heard good things about it. Is it the same owners as in Houston?

Not a clue. Yes, Austin. I don't know much about restaurants in Houston period.

quash
01-03-07, 02:22 PM
Could be thinking of County Line, it overlooks water...

Allie Holcomb
01-03-07, 02:51 PM
Could be thinking of County Line, it overlooks water...

Yeah, one of the locations is overlooking a cove of Lake Austin. They also bring you your meal in bowls, etc., to pass around. Maybe that was it, Donnie?

BHJ
01-03-07, 02:53 PM
.... He had the best sausage I had ever eaten. The sauce was amazing. ...

Sicko Utes.

- LFS

{ BHJ nodding }

{ Cow disgusted }

{ Fish staring }

{ Goat eating leftovers }

DONNIE D
01-03-07, 02:57 PM
Yeah, one of the locations is overlooking a cove of Lake Austin. They also bring you your meal in bowls, etc., to pass around. Maybe that was it, Donnie?No not Lake Austin, I know the difference. FTR, I never said it was on the lake, just out by the lake somewhere. I was drinking, so you know what that means. I'm pretty sure it was Salt Lick.

BHJ
01-03-07, 03:00 PM
cammo - the sheep has acksed, yes acksed, for your phone number....

PA.

- TH

Wacoso
01-03-07, 03:02 PM
I'm with Wacoso; the Lick is good, but not great. But drive on down 183 to Lockhart, then keep on going to Luling. City Market's where it's at for me.

Better than Kreutz's or Cooper's?

Salt Lick is good, but they get by on history now. You can always improve your cooking and they haven't.

Wacoso
01-03-07, 03:07 PM
BC took me to the County Line as well. It was ok, not better than Salt Lick, but not either of the two I mentioned above.

Donnie,

How far is Ocean Springs, MS from you? Trader, BC, and I might be headed there one day.

Also, Bodacious is good and I would rank it right below Salt Lick and above County Line. The Tavern would be above SL, CL, Bod, for the ribs. Oh, those out of this world ribs.

I'm just a guy that thinks you don't need sauce to hide the texture, taste, and smell of the greatest thing on earth, BBQ.

J.R.
01-03-07, 03:26 PM

Salt Lick is good, but they get by on history now. You can always improve your cooking and they haven't.

Salt Lick is more about the scene and the event. Dang fun place, but the quality is very uneven. Tater salad rocks however. Que's like women, everyone's got there opions and favs. I've been to Blacks 4 times and found it only ok. Kreutz is ok, but foget purity, I want some damn sauce as an accent. Coopers is good, but very inconsistend due to the time you go and the crowds. The smoked pork chop is as about as good as it gets. Give me the ribs at the County Line in Kilgore....

The Gambler
01-03-07, 03:29 PM
Salt Lick---I-35 South, hang a right at Buda, drive into town, hang another right at the light and you will t-bone right into the place if you don't stop at the stop sign. LT is nowhere near and if you want to ski you will have to do it on the dirt. In case someone does not know where Buda is--between San Marcos and Austin.

WacoGone
01-03-07, 03:30 PM
Wimberly is past Driftwood, but the SL is in Driftwood.
Allie is correct. 290 west just past the Y in Oak Hill to FM 1826 south to Driftwood-ish.

Wacoso
01-03-07, 03:31 PM
Yes, fraternity brother in Driftwood says they claim it.

BearChick
01-03-07, 03:45 PM
Salt Lick--in Driftwood, about 10 miles or so from Wimberley. Drove from Wimberley to rehearsal dinner there.

Salt Lick on 360 at Town Lake in Austin--sucks. Not the same as the original. Don't go there.

County Line in Austin--On the lake at 2222 or in the hills on 360. Both are good.

Oasis--On Lake Travis. Bad food, good margaritas. If the food is better since the fire, let's all consider that a blessing. Oasis is owned by the guy who owns the Brownstone in Houston, one of the best upscale restaurants in Houston. When I discovered that, I was shocked. The disparity in food quality is akin to standing on one side of the Grand Canyon and looking over to the other side.

cletus
01-03-07, 03:46 PM
Salt Lick is good, but I am not sure it would make my top 10 in the state. A few of my favorites I have had the pleasure of dining at:

Black's in Lockhart
Cooper's in Llano (Although it can be hit or miss)
Cooper's in Mason
Louie Mueller's in Taylor
Shoepf's (SP?) in Belton
and back in its glory days, the Church BBQ in Huntsville

Wacoso
01-03-07, 03:49 PM
Salt Lick is good, but I am not sure it would make my top 10 in the state. A few of my favorites I have had the pleasure of dining at:

Black's in Lockhart
Cooper's in Mason
Shoepf's (SP?) in Belton

Pretty damn good list cletus. Would add Kreutz's, Smitty's, and City Market (out of respect for AB). Bodacious for a stop on the way to Shreveport. The Tavern for great ribs.

Somehow Salt Lick ain't in there with those legends.

Wacoso
01-03-07, 03:50 PM
and Schoepf's in Belton was built by Cooper's childhood friend with the help of Billy.

bularry
01-03-07, 03:52 PM
Smitty's is the best I've ever had. I've had Black's twice and can't figure out what the fuss is about. average to me.

I like Salt Lick, especially the ribs. Brisket is good, too, but not great. desserts are excellent.

Bexar Fan
01-03-07, 03:56 PM

Black's in Lockhart
Cooper's in Mason
Shoepf's (SP?) in Belton
Ok guys. Now you've gone and done it.......I now have to make a pit stop at Schoepf's on the way home.

......damned diet anyway!

Oh....and Wacoso is right. When the meat tastes that good....who needs sauce?

cletus
01-03-07, 03:56 PM
Pretty damn good list cletus. Would add Kreutz's, Smitty's, and City Market (out of respect for AB). Bodacious for a stop on the way to Shreveport. The Tavern for great ribs.

Somehow Salt Lick ain't in there with those legends.

Unfortunately, in all of my quests to seek out the best bbq in the state I have yet to dine at Kreutz's or City Market. The one time I was in lockhart, Kreutz's was closed, so I settled for Black's, which was very good.

I also recommend crosstown in Elgin. Most of the locals eat there, while the visitors eat at southside.

cletus
01-03-07, 03:57 PM
Ok guys. Now you've gone and done it.......I now have to make a pit stop at Schoepf's on the way home.

......damned diet anyway!

Oh....and Wacoso is right. When the meat tastes that good....who needs sauce?

No shame in taking a break from a diet to enjoy Shoepf's.

quash
01-03-07, 04:00 PM
Nobody likes Jasper Dimario and Son??

BearChick
01-03-07, 04:01 PM
We used to go to Mueller's in Taylor for a long lunch when I worked at Dell in Round Rock. Just a hop skip and jump down 79 and over to Taylor.

cletus
01-03-07, 04:02 PM
We used to go to Mueller's in Taylor for a long lunch when I worked at Dell in Round Rock. Just a hop skip and jump down 79 and over to Taylor.

I always enjoyed the sample they gave you while you placed your order. Somewhere on those blackened boards lies my business card.

Wacoso
01-03-07, 04:05 PM
Nobody likes Jasper Dimario and Son??

It's like Waco's version of trying to make BBQ.

Trader Bear
01-03-07, 04:06 PM
Thelma's in Houston has damn fine brisket. And fried catfish.

BHJ
01-03-07, 04:15 PM
Uncle Dans? Anyone?

- TS

Camo08
01-03-07, 04:29 PM

I've been back since the fire - and I didn't think the food was any better at all. I have never ordered the same thing twice there in hopes of finding "the magic meal" with no luck. The view and the drinks keep bringing me back though not nearly as often as I would if they would improve their grub...

ybbodeus
01-03-07, 04:47 PM

The nephew's got a pretty decent little shack of a place on the east side of 35....can't recall the street, but it's due east of the stadium. Damn fine pork chops in the city!

ybbodeus
01-03-07, 04:50 PM
and Schoepf's in Belton was built by Cooper's childhood friend with the help of Billy.

We cater Schoepf's every year at our fraternity golf tourney. They briefly had one in Salado, but it didn't last. Damn fine food. Is there anything remotely like that or the Lockhart or Luling or Taylor or Llano options in Houston? Goode Company's the BBQ equivalent of Whataburger, as far as I'M concerned; I'll eat there, but I won't define it as the best hamburger on God's Green (and Blue and Tan) earth.

I spotted Trader's recommendation, but it was the catfish reference that caught my eye. There's a decent one on the nw side near our office....Tidwell-Hollister, but the name escapes me.

BHJ
01-03-07, 05:02 PM
Joe Allens - Abilene.

ybbodeus
01-03-07, 05:11 PM
Damn fine steak there, BHJ. I hear his wife's gone and opened a high dollar joint there in town, but it's still no better than the original. Guess I'll ask ol' Ray.

BHJ
01-03-07, 05:14 PM
Ybb is correct, sir!

- KKM

ybbodeus
01-03-07, 05:24 PM
Javelinas eat steak?

eastdallasloco
01-03-07, 05:32 PM
Thelmas was out of everything last time I was there but its the goods. Joe allens in abilene I enjoy as well. I'm going to have to try a couple of those others. Coopers was closed last time I passed thru llano.

Trader Bear
01-03-07, 05:33 PM
ybbo,

If you are ever up to try Thelma's one day, let me know. Be prepared to go early or late, as the noon crowd can be really big. Some like it; some don't. But Thelma is from Opelousas, LA and knows how to cook.

ybbodeus
01-03-07, 05:34 PM
ybbo,

If you are ever up to try Thelma's one day, let me know. Be prepared to go early or late, as the noon crowd can be really big. Some like it; some don't. But Thelma is from Opelousas, LA and knows how to cook.

Sounds awesome, Bro. I'll keep it on the calendar/to-do.

YbboBlanston

Ross Speight
01-03-07, 06:07 PM
It ruled.

That is all10-4. Best que I have ever eaten.

deltbear
01-03-07, 08:50 PM
the best bbq is that which taste the best without some sugary sauce.

DS Bear
01-03-07, 08:54 PM
One of the great things about living in Dripping is that, whenever we have out of town guests, they want to eat at the Salt Lick.

Yes, we were there last Friday night.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 09:03 PM

why improve on perfection

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 09:06 PM
Salt Lick--in Driftwood, about 10 miles or so from Wimberley. Drove from Wimberley to rehearsal dinner there.

Salt Lick on 360 at Town Lake in Austin--sucks. Not the same as the original. Don't go there.

County Line in Austin--On the lake at 2222 or in the hills on 360. Both are good.

Oasis--On Lake Travis. Bad food, good margaritas. If the food is better since the fire, let's all consider that a blessing. Oasis is owned by the guy who owns the Brownstone in Houston, one of the best upscale restaurants in Houston. When I discovered that, I was shocked. The disparity in food quality is akin to standing on one side of the Grand Canyon and looking over to the other side.
Are you serious? Brownstone is great....need to get their chef to help Oasis out....

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 09:10 PM
We cater Schoepf's every year at our fraternity golf tourney. They briefly had one in Salado, but it didn't last. Damn fine food. Is there anything remotely like that or the Lockhart or Luling or Taylor or Llano options in Houston? Goode Company's the BBQ equivalent of Whataburger, as far as I'M concerned; I'll eat there, but I won't define it as the best hamburger on God's Green (and Blue and Tan) earth.

I spotted Trader's recommendation, but it was the catfish reference that caught my eye. There's a decent one on the nw side near our office....Tidwell-Hollister, but the name escapes me.
Nothing great in Houston...maybe Otto's, Thelma's or Baker's

eastdallasloco
01-03-07, 10:59 PM
Bakers is pretty good at least for Dallas. The rub is great. The ribs and brisket are their best things by far. Deep ellum is prolly the best meat of the two locations here.

Stock
01-03-07, 11:10 PM
I'm a fan of Demaris in Houston. There is also a Luling City Market here on Richmond just inside the loop. I travel quite a bit around the state so I get to hit different places. I get through Giddings quite a bit and love the market there. I also like the joint in downtown Cuero.

I'm up for a Thelma's trip. Ybby, Trader: you guys available to get your grub on this Friday?

Wacoso
01-03-07, 11:41 PM
why improve on perfection

Ain't no perfection at the Salt Lick.

Ghostrider
01-03-07, 11:47 PM
According to my taste buds and several thousand others, you are incorrect.

Wacoso
01-03-07, 11:52 PM
According to my taste buds and several thousand others, you are incorrect.

Hmmm... seems when you ask experts you are wrong. Just because you have bad taste doesn't mean you are right.

Ghostrider
01-04-07, 07:22 AM
Which experts? :lol:

Trader Bear
01-04-07, 07:43 AM
Stock, Friday works for me.

caseman
01-04-07, 07:50 AM
Woody's - Centerville??????

Big12Bear
01-04-07, 07:59 AM
Bakers is pretty good at least for Dallas. The run is great. The ribs and brisket are their best things by far. Deep ellum is prolly the best meat of the ones here.

If I'm in Deep Ellum and not in the mood for Angry Dog, Baker's works just fine. Haven't been to their Upper Greenville location in awhile though. I cannot believe they opened up a location in Minneapolis.

DONNIE D
01-04-07, 08:00 AM
Off the subject a little, but has anyone ever been to an old bar outside of Rockdale that is known for it's Chicken Fried Steaks? Can't remember it's name. Packed everyday at lunch.

bobo
01-04-07, 08:09 AM
Centerville is not good. I like the Swingin Door for Q in the Houston area. Pretty good for HTown q.

eastdallasloco
01-04-07, 08:39 AM
If I'm in Deep Ellum and not in the mood for Angry Dog, Baker's works just fine. Haven't been to their Upper Greenville location in awhile though. I cannot believe they opened up a location in Minneapolis.

minneapolis? wtf? i guess theyre making some coin. i meant to say the rub is great but my damn smart text isnt that smart. i go to the greenville one mostly b/c its close to the house but i think the deep E has a better smoker and tastier meats. in dallas i dont know of any better brisket. sonnys is just avg.

woodys in centerville is great but ive never had q there. we usually just pick up beef jerkys and such. theyve got killer habanero salsa.

caseman
01-04-07, 09:01 AM
you guys in Dallas need to leave white bread north of 635 Dallas and down 45 to E Ledbetter or 175/MLK for some good Q. Hardemans, TDs, Sweet Georgia Brown, etc. . There may be better barbecue in some podunk off the beaten path central texas town like Brady, but why waste 50 bucks of gas when you can get stuff almost as good just 10 miles South?

J.R.
01-04-07, 09:02 AM
Case,
off the subject a little, but I did get the chance to sample a burger at Wingfield's over the holidays. That thing was huge. How can the make money on that for $3.78? Burger and a bottle of wine on the bumper for lunch. good stuff.

caseman
01-04-07, 09:02 AM
btw, the Bakers I always go to is on 130 and Belt Line in South Garland. It is pretty good compared to the Greenville or Deep Ellum locations.

caseman
01-04-07, 09:07 AM
I'll be in that neighborhood on Monday....and it will be time for Wingfields. Haven't been there in a couple of months

Big12Bear
01-04-07, 09:12 AM
you guys in Dallas need to leave white bread north of 635 Dallas and down 45 to E Ledbetter or 175/MLK for some good Q. Hardemans, TDs, Sweet Georgia Brown, etc. . There may be better barbecue in some podunk off the beaten path central texas town like Brady, but why waste 50 bucks of gas when you can get stuff almost as good just 10 miles South?

I'm not North of LBJ and since East Dallas is in Lakewood, he isn't either. The area you mentioned was part of my old sales territory. I'm sure Sweet Georgia Brown is ok, but I try and stay away from anything off of CF Hawn and anything off of Ledbetter.

eastdallasloco
01-04-07, 09:33 AM
ive been hearing about hardemanns for years but i havent been. like big 12 said i dont get down in the deep 175 area that often. of course we did take a joy ride down loop 12 to dowdy ferry a couple mos back. there are reasons why i dont go down there very often. its kinda 3rd world down there.

caseman
01-04-07, 09:35 AM
I should have said north of I-30. Even Bexar Street is not bad during the day.....Ledbetter is certainly in the ghetto, but is not really all that dangerous for lunchtime. The only places in Dallas I would avoid during the day include several barrios near Webb Chapel Ext and Denton Drive (larga, part of Lombardy near the big cemetary , community road)

eastdallasloco
01-04-07, 09:41 AM
webb chapel barrio? thats where i get pick up my ho's, dog. thats vato loco ville.

BaylorBabe
01-04-07, 10:39 AM
Hey now, I live north of 635 and I like it just fine thanks :lol:

quash
01-04-07, 10:58 AM
I have a sensor on my car that goes off if I get north of LBJ :p

caseman
01-04-07, 11:55 AM
didn't mean to sound like some kind of snob. Sorry about that....I live east of 635 myself (not really out of choice, however)....but if you are going to get barbecue, head to neighborhoods where the residents love the swine. I wouldn't go to S Lancaster Rd for Italian or a nice steakhouse, for instance.

NW Dallas has a lot of side roads that employ open air drug markets. For some reason, the vatos in NW Dallas are showy about their crack deals and if you go on MLK for crack (and look like you might be an undercover cop), they don't know what you are talking about (I have heard this from a policeman, by the way). Five Corners and just west of Love Field are really dangerous places, even in the day because of their up and coming drug areas. Five Corners has most murders per square mile...like twice as much as the "dangerous" areas of Oak Cliff, etc.

eastdallasloco
01-04-07, 12:40 PM
I have a sensor on my car that goes off if I get north of LBJ :p

same here. i try not to leave the mockingbird and abrams vicinity but occasionally i go to uptown. vickery meadows crack is mo betta and close to home.

ybbodeus
01-04-07, 05:00 PM
I'm a fan of Demaris in Houston. There is also a Luling City Market here on Richmond just inside the loop. I travel quite a bit around the state so I get to hit different places. I get through Giddings quite a bit and love the market there. I also like the joint in downtown Cuero.

I'm up for a Thelma's trip. Ybby, Trader: you guys available to get your grub on this Friday?

man, it'll have to be NEXT Friday, at best.

ybbodeus
01-04-07, 05:01 PM
Is Cotton's outside Corpus still pretty good? Haven't been there since I was at Baylor.

Stock
01-04-07, 07:23 PM
man, it'll have to be NEXT Friday, at best.

We can do that.

Trader,
You still want to grab some tomorrow? Give me a ring.

Austin Bear
01-04-07, 07:27 PM
The nephew's got a pretty decent little shack of a place on the east side of 35....can't recall the street, but it's due east of the stadium. Damn fine pork chops in the city!

You're thinking of John Mueller's now defunct place in the 1700 Block of Manor Road which closed several months ago. John is the grandson of Louie. When he was on, and he just about always was, John served some mighty fine brisket and chop. In my experience the ribs were hit and miss, as was the sausage, although there are many who praise all of it. Certainly one of the best joints in Austin, IMO. From what I heard, cooking was his forte, rather than the business end of things.

Whatever happened, he closed up for a few months and resurfaced in Bastrop, opening another place downtown. This, too, was a short-lived venture. No idea what he's doing now.

Trader Bear
01-04-07, 08:01 PM
We can do that.

Trader,
You still want to grab some tomorrow? Give me a ring.
We can do that. BC and W may join us. One of us will let you know.

Wacoso
01-04-07, 09:23 PM
We're in. Location?

Trader Bear
01-04-07, 10:37 PM
Thelma's --11:30

CammoTX
01-05-07, 07:42 AM
Goode Co. on the Katy Freeway is pretty darn good.

Big12Bear
01-05-07, 03:57 PM
Whatever happened, he closed up for a few months and resurfaced in Bastrop, opening another place downtown. This, too, was a short-lived venture. No idea what he's doing now.

Austin, John is still alive and well in Bastrop under the name of Old Town BBQ. It's down near the courthouse.

Wacoso
01-05-07, 04:10 PM
Goode Co. is on par with Salt Lick, although my turkey and brisket were dry the last visit.

Thelma's was pretty damn good good today. Better than Salt-Lick and Goode Co. The decor is my kind of place as well. Best BBQ sandwich I ever had was up by Kopperl in a 2 bedroom house converted to a bbq joint. There was a hole in the porch someone stepped through and they put a throw rug over the hole since they couldn't afford the wood. After that, they built a 10,000 sqft building that went out of business when the mother and daughter fought over the rights.

BearChick
01-05-07, 04:37 PM
Thelma's wasn't a bbq sandwich, it was an entire styrofoam container of chopped brisket and sauce with a bun in there somewhere.

I am not kidding.

I ate 1/2 of the sandwich and there was still enough brisket in the container to make 2 more.

Austin Bear
01-05-07, 08:25 PM
Good to hear, Big12. Need to make it down to Bastrop and check it out.

CammoTX
01-05-07, 10:21 PM
I know that no one has been here but me and my family, but Sonny's off of Hwy 72 in northwest Alabama (in between Muscle Shoals and Decatur) has the best bbq in the entire world. It is served with a vinegar based white sauce that is unbelievable. People have it shipped to them out of state.

Ghostrider
01-06-07, 09:20 AM
cam, Goode Co. sucks IMO....sauce is horrible

CammoTX
01-06-07, 09:52 AM
cam, Goode Co. sucks IMO....sauce is horrible

sacue is not as good as the salt lick, but the brisket is of very high quality, IMO. Also, the baked beans are phenomenal there.

FWIW, I was very disappointed with Pappas BBQ when I went there. Overpriced and the brisket had tons of marble in it. It seemed like Luthers but twice the cost. I guess I should have expected as much, but oh well.

Wacoso
01-06-07, 11:38 AM
Marbling, not marbles. If it were actually marbles you might lose teeth.

Goode Co. sauce was not a favorite or mine, then again, why use sauce with meat. Oh yeah, to hide bad smoking.

ybbodeus
01-06-07, 12:47 PM
Not a Goode fan in the least, but SUCKS is a bit strong. It sucks compared to what they're trying to tell you it is, but it doesn't suck in terms of being edible; I'll friggin' eat it.

Go, Western Michigan!

ybbodeus
01-06-07, 12:53 PM
You're thinking of John Mueller's now defunct place in the 1700 Block of Manor Road which closed several months ago. John is the grandson of Louie. When he was on, and he just about always was, John served some mighty fine brisket and chop. In my experience the ribs were hit and miss, as was the sausage, although there are many who praise all of it. Certainly one of the best joints in Austin, IMO. From what I heard, cooking was his forte, rather than the business end of things.

That is too friggin' bad. That was a terrific spot. I never had the ribs...only the pork chops and brisket. Surprised my Austin bros didn't tell me. I was going to hit that place in early December but opted for the burger shrine on 6th, Hutt's, instead. What am I supposed to order there for next time? What I had was good but nothing all that memorable. Then again, it's only a burger.

Does a statement like that one put me on some kind of communist subversive watch list? Please advise....and stuff.

piratestef
01-06-07, 03:14 PM
This thread makes me sad because the Country Tavern's under new ownership, and they suck. Prices got higher, portions got smaller, and it just doesn't taste as good. The new guys are just riding the fame, and it shows. :(

BearChick
01-06-07, 03:22 PM
Not a Goode fan in the least, but SUCKS is a bit strong. It sucks compared to what they're trying to tell you it is, but it doesn't suck in terms of being edible; I'll friggin' eat it.

Go, Western Michigan!

My dad worked for Goode Co. for several years, setting up their BBQ Hall of Flame retail operation. We ate well. I love their onion buns for the sandwiches and I love the baked potato with brisket. I'm a non-traditionalist, I s'pose, which is why I like it. I will admit when we took Wacoso there for Christmas Eve, the food was really off. Their seafood restaurants (Kirby and Katy Fwy) are good too.

Want good bbq in West Houston? Hit Nonmacher's on Mason Road at Highland Knolls. Been there for 20+ years. Just a good ol' boy who makes bbq and is open hours that he likes to be open (a bit Vitek-ish). He used to fly down to Brownsville to get wonderful tamales from La Milpa Tortilleria to sell up there. My Brownsville parents were in hog heaven. I think he still brings them up to Houston. Good suburban BBQ joint.

BearChick
01-06-07, 03:22 PM
This thread makes me sad because the Country Tavern's under new ownership, and they suck. Prices got higher, portions got smaller, and it just doesn't taste as good. The new guys are just riding the fame, and it shows. :(

This thread makes me sad because there is now an abnormally large stuffed animal on it.

piratestef
01-06-07, 03:29 PM
Boo. Don't hate on the bear. And you call yourself a Baylor fan?!

Ross Speight
01-06-07, 03:30 PM
This thread makes me sad because there is now an abnormally large stuffed animal on it.i have her on ignore, man. for a long time now. the plus is that i don't see her posts, the minus is that every page i look at is about 3 posts long bec. she has something to say about everything.

i recently added her javelina obsessed boyfriend to the ignore list.

piratestef
01-06-07, 03:35 PM
i have her on ignore, man. for a long time now. the plus is that i don't see her posts, the minus is that every page i look at is about 3 posts long bec. she has something to say about everything.

The minus is that every time you go to put Yoss on ignore, he comes up with another asinine screenname.

BHJ
01-06-07, 05:14 PM
what did a pig* ever do to you?

that's a fine animal, the pig*.

- kkm

{ bhj nodding }

{ cow mooing }

i have her on ignore, man. for a long time now. the plus is that i don't see her posts, the minus is that every page i look at is about 3 posts long bec. she has something to say about everything.

quash
01-06-07, 05:37 PM
Can you BBQ bear?

CammoTX
01-06-07, 05:38 PM
Anyone had pitzolas (sp.) in Houston? I heard it was great.

Big12Bear
01-06-07, 10:20 PM
sacue is not as good as the salt lick

Salt Lick sauce is good. At 18 grams of fat per tablespoon it had better be! :dizzy:

Ghostrider
01-06-07, 11:52 PM
Marbling, not marbles. If it were actually marbles you might lose teeth.

Goode Co. sauce was not a favorite or mine, then again, why use sauce with meat. Oh yeah, to hide bad smoking.
B/c it taste good? Same reason BC said Thelma's was delicious

ybbodeus
01-07-07, 12:45 PM
My dad worked for Goode Co. for several years, setting up their BBQ Hall of Flame retail operation. We ate well. I love their onion buns for the sandwiches and I love the baked potato with brisket. I'm a non-traditionalist, I s'pose, which is why I like it. I will admit when we took Wacoso there for Christmas Eve, the food was really off. Their seafood restaurants (Kirby and Katy Fwy) are good too.

Want good bbq in West Houston? Hit Nonmacher's on Mason Road at Highland Knolls. Been there for 20+ years. Just a good ol' boy who makes bbq and is open hours that he likes to be open (a bit Vitek-ish). He used to fly down to Brownsville to get wonderful tamales from La Milpa Tortilleria to sell up there. My Brownsville parents were in hog heaven. I think he still brings them up to Houston. Good suburban BBQ joint.

Thanks, Chica. I like the jalapeno cheese bread. Mason Road sounds like Katy....or maybe West Memorial. Still, I'll give it a run. I miss the fresh tamales from the valley, that's for sure. We have no family left down there.

ybbodeus
01-07-07, 12:47 PM

Another TOO BAD story, but I don't EVER get up that way anymore, so I won't miss what I wasn't going to have.

Wacoso
01-07-07, 12:58 PM
B/c it taste good? Same reason BC said Thelma's was delicious

Thelma's sauce was good, but the amount we had on each was different. She's more of a St. Louis style BBQ as well.

Trader Bear
01-07-07, 01:27 PM
If you don't like sweet sauce, you won't like Thelma's. I also believe she uses a different sauce (thicker) for the sandwiches than she does for anything else.

BearChick
01-07-07, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Chica. I like the jalapeno cheese bread. Mason Road sounds like Katy....or maybe West Memorial. Still, I'll give it a run. I miss the fresh tamales from the valley, that's for sure. We have no family left down there.

Mason Road is the Katy area, and you're right that this place is pretty much in the West Memorial part of Katy--right on the edge.

Take I-10 west to Mason, go left. I think Highland Knolls is about 6 lights down, now. It's on the right, just as you pass through the intersection. The "anchor" in the little strip center used to be a Stop N Go, but now it's Mason Road vacuum (yes, a convenience store that now sells vacuums...you think about the irony). Nonmacher's is right next door. Not sure where Mr. Nonmacher lives now, but when I was growing up, he lived on one of the main streets in Memorial Parkway (Cimarron Pkwy, I think) in a little 3 br house that had probably been there 10-15 years when we moved to the area in '85.

BearChick
01-07-07, 01:52 PM
If you don't like sweet sauce, you won't like Thelma's. I also believe she uses a different sauce (thicker) for the sandwiches than she does for anything else.

The sauce on the sandwich appeared to have molasses in it. Wait, I think Trader said it was cane syrup. Either way, it was good, but thick. It was one of those sauces where a little would go a long way. I probably would have cut the amount she put on the sandwich/styrofoam takeout container by 1/4-1/3.

Trader Bear
01-07-07, 02:03 PM
Thelma is from Opelousas, LA. She used to use Steen's Cane Syrup all the time in her sauce. She may have departed from Steen's now, but it is still cane syrup. And it is still good.

eastdallasloco
01-07-07, 03:18 PM
Cammo, have you been to big bobs in Decatur, Al? Its the goods.

CammoTX
01-07-07, 08:11 PM
Cammo, have you been to big bobs in Decatur, Al? Its the goods.

Actually, I have not. My dad is in Huntsville right now so I will ask him about it.

WacoGone
01-07-07, 08:14 PM
Cammo, do you realize that your thread about a single dining choice has now expanded to seven pages and 130 posts? It's Seinfeldian.

CammoTX
01-07-07, 08:22 PM
Cammo, do you realize that your thread about a single dining choice has now expanded to seven pages and 130 posts? It's Seinfeldian.

:lol: :bow:

J.R.
01-07-07, 08:25 PM
Salt Lick sauce is good. At 18 grams of fat per tablespoon it had better be! :dizzy:
Funny you notice that as i did. I have a real good feel for the makins of good sauce, but that fat/calorie count is out of bounds. It tells me that it's predominately oil. It's diff., but not that good.

Wacoso
01-07-07, 08:57 PM
Funny you notice that as i did. I have a real good feel for the makins of good sauce, but that fat/calorie count is out of bounds. It tells me that it's predominately oil. It's diff., but not that good.

Paula Dean would still add some butter to it.

BearChick
01-07-07, 09:10 PM
Just a stick.

Or two.

Mmmm. Butter.

quash
01-07-07, 09:32 PM
Ate some good stuff in Huntsville, but it was the cheese biscuits I remember best. Daaayam.

CammoTX
01-07-07, 09:33 PM
Ate some good stuff in Huntsville, but it was the cheese biscuits I remember best. Daaayam.

Gibson's BBQ. Great breakfasts over there also.

Jim and Nicks was pretty famous also.

WacoGone
01-08-07, 09:12 AM
Just a stick.

Or two.

Mmmm. Butter.
Butter should be added to anything and everything.

Bexar Fan
01-08-07, 09:19 AM
Salted or unsalted?

eastdallasloco
01-08-07, 09:22 AM

sonny bryans puts a pan under their brisket in the smoker and collects all the fat drippings then puts all that fat into their sauce. mmmm healthy!

cammo, i think that its big bob gibsons.

BaylorBabe
01-08-07, 09:27 AM
18 grams of fat a tablespoon? :supereek:

DONNIE D
01-08-07, 09:33 AM
{donnie at the drive-thru at Hardees}
I need one butter biscuit please.
Anything with that sir?

Some extra butter if you don't mind.:lol:

ybbodeus
01-08-07, 09:58 AM
Salted or unsalted?

Yes.

J.R.
01-08-07, 10:03 AM
sonny bryans puts a pan under their brisket in the smoker and collects all the fat drippings then puts all that fat into their sauce. mmmm healthy!

cammo, i think that its big bob gibsons.Yep, but the only Sonny's worth a lick is the Mothership for lunch. Brisket sammy there is indeed outstanding. (only thing worth eating) Cooper's also puts the brisket fat in their sauce.

CammoTX
01-08-07, 11:27 AM
{donnie at the drive-thru at Hardees}
I need one butter biscuit please.
Anything with that sir?

Some extra butter if you don't mind.:lol:

Man I miss Hardees. Best bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits ever!

DONNIE D
01-08-07, 11:54 AM
Man I miss Hardees. Best bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits ever!How bout Bojangles???

Wacoso
01-08-07, 07:54 PM
Yep, but the only Sonny's worth a lick is the Mothership for lunch. Brisket sammy there is indeed outstanding. (only thing worth eating) Cooper's also puts the brisket fat in their sauce.

Well, that is where it goes.

CammoTX
01-08-07, 08:14 PM
How bout Bojangles???

Never been there.

Tell you what Donnie, this Southern boy misses Checkers! Damn good burgers and fries.

DONNIE D
01-09-07, 07:33 AM
Never been there.

Tell you what Donnie, this Southern boy misses Checkers! Damn good burgers and fries.They closed down the Checkers in West Columbia. Never did very well. Great fries though. Bojangles is like Popeys out west. Cajun Chicken and dirty rice. I really dont eat their chicken that much, but their biscuits in the mornings is out of this world. Just finished 2 sausage and eggs about 30 minutes ago.

Sooner Magic
01-10-07, 09:37 PM
Very interesting post. My family and I just got back from the hill country. We stayed in a condo on Canyon Lake for six days. On Tuesday we went to Lockhart. We tried Smitty's. It was good. The ribs were the best to me. On Thursday we tried Saltlick's, only thing I liked was BYOB. On Saturday we went home through Llano. I have eaten at Cooper's many times so I am biased. The brisket was awesome. Let me tell you a little trick, always ask for a new brisket and get the first cut! It is the best I have ever had. My wife always gets the two inch thick pork chops. My son had the prime rib ($28.00). He said it was great, but I want my meat cooked. Coopers is three time world champion and I have never had a bad meal there.
On the other days we had mexican food, but that is another topic.

Thanks,
Boomer Sooner

Ghostrider
01-10-07, 10:01 PM
GOing to Salt Lick Saturday

Trader Bear
01-10-07, 10:46 PM
Overrated.

BearChick
01-11-07, 01:08 AM
Clap-clap-clapclapclap

quash
01-11-07, 05:55 AM
Clap-clap-clapclapclap
Slap-slap-slapslapslap.
Clap-clap-clap.
Slap-slap-slap.

Bolbi.

CammoTX
01-11-07, 07:44 AM
Best pork chops I have ever had were from Perry's in Houston. No, it ain't a bbq place (it is a nice restaurant), but at the Perrys in Clear Lake you can get chops for half off on Wednesday. The chops are about 2'' thick and as tender and juicy as I have ever had.

The new Perrys near the Memorial City Mall doesn't run the special - I asked. It must just be the Clear Lake restaurant :(

DONNIE D
01-11-07, 07:52 AM
Cammo, you've never had my chops. Do them in cast-iron on the grill. You wont need a knife.

bobo
01-11-07, 07:55 AM
Best pork chops I have ever had were from Perry's in Houston. No, it ain't a bbq place (it is a nice restaurant), but at the Perrys in Clear Lake you can get chops for half off on Wednesday. The chops are about 2'' thick and as tender and juicy as I have ever had.

The new Perrys near the Memorial City Mall doesn't run the special - I asked. It must just be the Clear Lake restaurant :(

The five finger pork chop. It is the shiznit.

Ghostrider
01-11-07, 09:25 AM
Overrated.
Well for the past 20+ years I have been going there it has always been very consistent and blown away any of the others joints listed,,,EXCEPT maybe Luling was close

J.R.
01-11-07, 09:57 AM
Very interesting post. My family and I just got back from the hill country. We stayed in a condo on Canyon Lake for six days. On Tuesday we went to Lockhart. We tried Smitty's. It was good. The ribs were the best to me. On Thursday we tried Saltlick's, only thing I liked was BYOB. On Saturday we went home through Llano. I have eaten at Cooper's many times so I am biased. The brisket was awesome. Let me tell you a little trick, always ask for a new brisket and get the first cut! It is the best I have ever had. My wife always gets the two inch thick pork chops. My son had the prime rib ($28.00). He said it was great, but I want my meat cooked. Coopers is three time world champion and I have never had a bad meal there.
On the other days we had mexican food, but that is another topic.

Thanks,
Boomer Sooner

I'd concurr. BYOB and the scene at the Saltlick is the hook. Cue-not so much.

ybbodeus
01-11-07, 11:06 AM
Overrated.

You have to say IT SUCKS or Rush won't understand you.

Ty McNeely
01-11-07, 11:17 AM
Damn you all.

I just read every post in this thread, and I'm literally salivating like a rabid dog.

caseman
01-11-07, 11:22 AM
ironworks>>>salt lick

LinuxBear
01-11-07, 11:55 AM
bill miller.

ybbodeus
01-11-07, 12:13 PM
Do you know Raphael?

GGBaylor01
01-11-07, 12:20 PM
Just visited the Salt Lick website and noticed you can order BBQ online.

Has anyone actually done this, and if so, how did it turn out?

DONNIE D
01-11-07, 12:51 PM
Just visited the Salt Lick website and noticed you can order BBQ online.

Has anyone actually done this, and if so, how did it turn out?I tried it, but every time I lick my screen, it still taste like Best Buy.:lol:

GGBaylor01
01-11-07, 01:49 PM
Lol, Donnie have you really tried it?

DONNIE D
01-11-07, 02:18 PM
No man, I still have trouble just typing on this thing. Ordering something is way over my head.

GGBaylor01
01-11-07, 02:23 PM
Got ya DD. Anyone else ordered any? I'd like to try that place, just don't know when the next time I'll be up that way...

Wacoso
01-11-07, 06:57 PM
You can order Cooper's as well.

Just delivered BBQ for 18 over at TAMUG. Very happy little Sea-agsy. Most wanted to know how it was done. One said it was the best they'd ever had. Trader is an innovator of the rub. I can just build a fire.

GGBaylor01
01-11-07, 07:32 PM
You can order Cooper's as well.

Just delivered BBQ for 18 over at TAMUG. Very happy little Sea-agsy. Most wanted to know how it was done. One said it was the best they'd ever had. Trader is an innovator of the rub. I can just build a fire.

Where is Coopers?

Wacoso
01-11-07, 07:38 PM
Cooper's is in Llano and Mason. Llano is the one with mail order.

cletus
01-11-07, 08:11 PM
Although it does not compare to Llano or Mason, a Cooper's also exists in round rock. I would not be surprised if it is no longer there.

Sooner Magic
01-11-07, 09:34 PM
There is also a Cooper's in Junction. It is just north of I-10. The guy that owns it is very nice. I used to deer hunt in Junction. When he first opened it he gave me a bunch of hats, coozies, and other stuff. They don't let you get the meat right off the pit so it is not as good. The deserts are awesome though. He said they make them from scratch. However, if you go to Junction
head south under I-10 into town about halfway and stop at La Familia's. Get the fajitas for two and a couple of longnecks. You will not leave hungry! Some of the best fajitas you will ever eat.
Thanks,
Boomer Sooner

[QUOTE=cletus]Although it does not compare to Llano or Mason, a Cooper's also exists in round rock. I would not be surprised if it is no longer there..

LinuxBear
01-11-07, 09:35 PM
javv you been to the place in menard?

decent. when it's open.

CammoTX
01-11-07, 09:41 PM
LB,

Is Casa Bonita still around in Denver?

Cool place.

Sooner Magic
01-11-07, 09:43 PM
No. Never had Bar b q in Menard.

javv you been to the place in menard?

decent. when it's open.

LinuxBear
01-11-07, 09:43 PM
never set foot in the place............

i assume its still there.

not in my baliwick.

- th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Bonita_%28South_Park_episode%29

http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

bobo
01-12-07, 09:54 AM
LB,

Is Casa Bonita still around in Denver?

Cool place.

Black Bart' cave, cliff diving, ahh yes. Casa Bonita. Went there every freaking birthday until I was 12. When that south park episode came on w/ cartman going to casa bonita I called my sister and 2 friends. Laughed our ass off.

Thank you cammo for making me smile.

GGBaylor01
01-12-07, 10:00 AM
Is the smoked sausage good at Cooper's? How about the BBQ pork chops?

cletus
01-12-07, 10:13 AM
Is the smoked sausage good at Cooper's? How about the BBQ pork chops?

Sausage is always good. Quite a few folks swear by the pork chops, but the 1 time I ordered a monster chop, it was dry but still had a good flavor.

Wacoso
01-12-07, 11:02 AM
http://coopersbbq.com/products.asp?dept=1038

caseman
01-12-07, 11:17 AM
casa bonita rocks

no one is objecting or commenting on ironworks' superiority?

Yogi
01-12-07, 11:23 AM
Wow. Never knew that Casa Bonita was a real place.

That was a funny episode.

Allie Holcomb
01-12-07, 11:25 AM
casa bonita rocks

no one is objecting or commenting on ironworks' superiority?

Okay, it rocks how? It quite possibly has the nastiest food I've ever eaten in my life that's deemed "mexican." However, I do like the atmosphere, especially the diving show.

caseman
01-12-07, 11:31 AM
black bart's cave, cool arcade, decent pancho's type buffet, cliff divers....it rocks

GGBaylor01
01-12-07, 11:55 AM
http://coopersbbq.com/products.asp?dept=1038

Yeah, visited their site and saw all the good stuff they have to offer.

Sausage looked good in particular....

bobo
01-12-07, 01:17 PM
As a six year old, Casa Bonita is quite possibly the greatest resturaunt in the world.

BHJ
01-12-07, 01:19 PM
no one else jass noted the new dickeys in huaco.

- kkm

ybbodeus
01-12-07, 01:23 PM
Wow. Never knew that Casa Bonita was a real place.

That was a funny episode.

Yep, had dinner there not long after it opened in the 70's....maybe '78?

piratestef
01-12-07, 02:03 PM
no one else jass noted the new dickeys in huaco.

- kkm

Probably because Waco has real barbeque not from a chain?

bobo
01-12-07, 02:29 PM
Yep, had dinner there not long after it opened in the 70's....maybe '78?

I went for my 5th birthday in 1975........

ybbodeus
01-12-07, 03:21 PM
I was a senior in high school, so I guess it was '77. We were all exhausted from skiing, so I don't know that we enjoyed it as much as we were supposed to. I think I fell asleep at the table....no, I wasn't Rocky Mountain high, either. Didn't discover THAT medicine until I got to BAYLOR, strangely enough. Much better now, though.

BHJ
01-12-07, 04:36 PM
dickeys is based in dallas. decent stuff. not great by any means. the ones in dallas are the better one, esp the one off of central and henderson(?).

i used to know one of the dickey dudes. very nice family.

i ate at the one in denver today.........

- kkm

i think the one in huaco was in the erstwhile Krisy Kreme location.....

Probably because Waco has real barbeque not from a chain?

Ty McNeely
01-12-07, 04:52 PM
dickeys is based in dallas. decent stuff. not great by any means. the ones in dallas are the better one, esp the one off of central and henderson(?).

i used to know one of the dickey dudes. very nice family.

i ate at the one in denver today.........

- kkm

Dickeys is really NOT bad for quick, decent BBQ. I've been there twice and have actually been looking forward to going again. Very good stuff---for what it is.

CammoTX
01-12-07, 05:55 PM
As a six year old, Casa Bonita is quite possibly the greatest resturaunt in the world.

As an eight year old I thought it was the greatest restaurant ever.

piratestef
01-12-07, 06:05 PM

Unfortunately, that's where it went. :cry:

I'm tellin' you...if Krispy Kreme had been closer to campus, it would've made a KILLING. But on Valley Mills? No way. And boo for it being gone now that I have a car!

caseman
01-12-07, 08:06 PM
As an eight year old I thought it was the greatest restaurant ever.

As a 26 year old, I thought it rocked.

Dickey's is good. If they are satellite locations (ex. at Bank of America bldg downtown) they aren't as good. KKM is right when he mentions the one on Henderson east of Central. The rib plate there is pretty good for cheap compared to Bakers.

bmcc87
01-12-07, 11:56 PM
Salt Lick is amazing.

Big12Bear
01-13-07, 01:35 AM
As a 26 year old, I thought it rocked.

Dickey's is good. If they are satellite locations (ex. at Bank of America bldg downtown) they aren't as good. KKM is right when he mentions the one on Henderson east of Central. The rib plate there is pretty good for cheap compared to Bakers.

I'll "third" the Central/Henderson location and add the 14th Street locaton in old Plano. The longtime Forest/Park Central branch has dropped off considerably.

91Bear
01-13-07, 09:02 AM
Salt Lick is amazing.

Sauce is too sweet.

GuacaMyMole
01-14-07, 10:54 PM
Cammo, more your old neck of the woods, but I hit up Dreamland in Tuscaloosa a couple of months ago.

Slab of ribs and a few Miller Lites, not too shabby at all.

Oh, and not really 'cue, but if any of you are ever in Greenville, MS----Doe's Eat Place. Never been to a place like it- an experience to say the least!

Ghostrider
01-15-07, 09:17 AM
Wife didn't want to go to Wimberley Friday.....missed the Salt Lick :(

Allie Holcomb
01-15-07, 09:19 AM
Wife didn't want to go to Wimberley Friday.....missed the Salt Lick :(

Oh, so you obviously don't wear the pants in the family. :lol: I'm totally kidding. I'm with you, I still think the Salt Lick is fabulous but I'm not the type that goes around taste testing every bbq joint I see to know what's the ultimate. I do know that I love the salt lick. I also know that I don't like Rudy's, just their sides.

CammoTX
01-15-07, 11:44 AM
Cammo, more your old neck of the woods, but I hit up Dreamland in Tuscaloosa a couple of months ago.

Slab of ribs and a few Miller Lites, not too shabby at all.

Oh, and not really 'cue, but if any of you are ever in Greenville, MS----Doe's Eat Place. Never been to a place like it- an experience to say the least!

A man after my own heart!

I ate at Dreamland in September. Best ribs I have ever had. I brought some sauce back with me.

As far as Doe's Eat Place, it is a tradition in the Delta. They have expanded to Oxford, Memphis (maybe some other places, Arkansas?) but the one in Greenville is the most famous. I grew up eating their hot tamales. Truly a one of a kind place.

GuacaMyMole
01-15-07, 04:01 PM
A man after my own heart!

I ate at Dreamland in September. Best ribs I have ever had. I brought some sauce back with me.

As far as Doe's Eat Place, it is a tradition in the Delta. They have expanded to Oxford, Memphis (maybe some other places, Arkansas?) but the one in Greenville is the most famous. I grew up eating their hot tamales. Truly a one of a kind place.

The ribs at Dreamland were solid. Loved all the 'Bama gear on the walls and I imagine its a hell of a good time on gameday.

I had heard Doe's expanded, but I doubt the original can be replicated. Some damn good tamales and I loved getting up and getting your own beers out of the deep fridge---the steak I had was also pretty tasty.

And then I went and lost all my money on the boats........HA!

Ghostrider
01-15-07, 04:44 PM
Oh, so you obviously don't wear the pants in the family. :lol: I'm totally kidding. I'm with you, I still think the Salt Lick is fabulous but I'm not the type that goes around taste testing every bbq joint I see to know what's the ultimate. I do know that I love the salt lick. I also know that I don't like Rudy's, just their sides.
Uh, well EVERY guy likes to THINK they run the house, but everyone knows the truth :lol: