PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in the Austin area???

HillCountryBEAR
01-04-07, 04:15 PM
My position was recently eliminated and I'm looking for work in the Austin area. I'm looking for something in business and/or natural resource management. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

WacoGone
01-04-07, 05:47 PM
HCB, have you looked at craigslist? Also, LCRA, TPWD, other state agencies? USGS, also is there. TCEQ. Etc.

HillCountryBEAR
01-04-07, 07:27 PM
HCB, have you looked at craigslist? Also, LCRA, TPWD, other state agencies? USGS, also is there. TCEQ. Etc.

Thanks!
I hadn't thought of craigslist.
I'd like to stay in the private sector if possible, but I've heard good things about LCRA.

WacoGone
01-04-07, 07:49 PM
Me, too. And I've heard that USGS is a great place to work.

deltbear
01-04-07, 09:11 PM
www.dell.com

Ghostrider
01-04-07, 09:18 PM
Dell sucks

BearChick
01-04-07, 09:58 PM
Dell doesn't suck, unless you're afraid of working hard and at a fast pace. Not everyone can cut it there. But HCB's already worked there.

Wacoso
01-04-07, 09:59 PM
Border Guards are needed.

Ghostrider
01-04-07, 10:22 PM
Dell doesn't suck, unless you're afraid of working hard and at a fast pace. Not everyone can cut it there. But HCB's already worked there.
:lick: I knew you'd be here quick....but now I see why you are not working their anymore (not meant as an insult) since you like to sleep late and work 7 mos. Good luck in your writings! Hope it is a good fiction....let me know if it ever comes out

Solan=Christ!!!
01-04-07, 11:39 PM
:lick: I knew you'd be here quick....but now I see why you are not working their anymore (not meant as an insult) since you like to sleep late and work 7 mos. Good luck in your writings! Hope it is a good fiction....let me know if it ever comes out

There.

ScottS
01-04-07, 11:54 PM
Good catch Sloan=, you get a gold star for internet forum proof reading.

Solan=Christ!!!
01-05-07, 12:32 AM
Good catch Sloan=, you get a gold star for internet forum proof reading.

I appreciate the star. I'll hang it next to my others I've been given by the forum gods over the years.

There you go, HCB. You can be an internet forum proofreader for some of the more powerful people on Baylorfans.

Ghostrider
01-05-07, 06:30 AM
scott, please do not try to steal my secretary. solan, get back to work. I have several othr postes ouut they're that need proof reeding.

sonuvabear
01-05-07, 08:29 AM
Rush is much better at the "cut and paste". Give him a break.

BearChick
01-05-07, 09:24 AM

Worked there for more than 6 years. Wrote speeches for Michael Dell for a while and was named top employee in my area in another role, designated a HiPo employee, got 4 promotions in 3 years, won a few outside awards for Dell, too. Yeah, I just couldn't cut it. I'd still be there if I hadn't decided to marry a guy from Dallas. But I do like making my Dell salary and working for myself quite a bit.

Thanks. The first book is with a few agents and publishers right now. It's gotten good feedback from just about everyone who has read it, but it's going to be a bit of a tough sell because the market recently changed and this particular genre (Christian Chick Lit) is not really selling right now. There are still some books out there, but it's not the boom of 1-2 years ago, and most are by established authors now. The new book I'm working on should sell if it goes the way it's going now. I'll send you an autographed copy.

Starr ChamBear
01-05-07, 09:42 AM
this particular genre (Christian Chick Lit)

I am curious how a passage from a book in this genre might sound.

Is it like:

He gazed into her eyes (but not like that) and drew her closer to him (but not that close) and kissed her lips (but not that long).

?????

Pls. Advise!

BearFan04
01-05-07, 10:01 AM
I am curious how a passage from a book in this genre might sound.

Is it like:

He gazed into her eyes (but not like that) and drew her closer to him (but not that close) and kissed her lips (but not that long).

?????

Pls. Advise!

Okay, that's pretty damn funny. :lol:

Starr ChamBear
01-05-07, 10:07 AM
Thanks!

HillCountryBEAR
01-05-07, 11:32 AM
Okay, that's pretty damn funny. :lol:

agreed!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BHJ
01-05-07, 11:54 AM
hcb -

try banking - specifically ag lending.

texas farm credit bank or whatever it is called.

large banks - frost etc have ag departments.

- kkm

BearChick
01-05-07, 03:58 PM
That is exactly how the books sound. That's why it's such a hoot writing them.

Actually, they don't sound all that different from any other book, except that the characters usually deal with faith-based issues, as well. Think "Bridget Jones Goes to Church." Trader Bear's even read my book and is a fan. :) For a good example, check out Kristin Billerbeck on Amazon or BN.com. Another CCL author, May Vanderbilt ("Emily Ever After" and "Consider Lily") is the pseudonym for a Baylor grad. She's done well in the genre and has been a great help to me.

Starr ChamBear
01-05-07, 04:23 PM
That is exactly how the books sound. That's why it's such a hoot writing them.

Actually, they don't sound all that different from any other book, except that the characters usually deal with faith-based issues, as well. Think "Bridget Jones Goes to Church." Trader Bear's even read my book and is a fan. :) For a good example, check out Kristin Billerbeck on Amazon or BN.com. Another CCL author, May Vanderbilt ("Emily Ever After" and "Consider Lily") is the pseudonym for a Baylor grad. She's done well in the genre and has been a great help to me.

Hmmm, wonder if I will get kicked out of the Lifeway store for giggling.

I will keep you posted.

Seriously, good luck with your writing!

Wacoso
01-05-07, 04:24 PM
Go try it at Fellowship.com's bookstore. See what they say, then do it while looking at Ed, Jr's books. They're not as amused as you'd think.

Starr ChamBear
01-05-07, 04:27 PM
Go try it at Fellowship.com's bookstore. See what they say, then do it while looking at Ed, Jr's books. They're not as amused as you'd think.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet they dont find it amusing, but I would probably get a kick out of their reaction. Let's try it sometime just to see what happens.

BearChick
01-05-07, 04:33 PM
Thanks, GWB.

Make sure you video it and put it on Youtube.

Starr ChamBear
01-05-07, 04:35 PM
Thanks, GWB.

Make sure you video it and put it on Youtube.

I was hoping Wacoso would come with me.

BearChick
01-05-07, 04:39 PM
If he knows what's good for him, he won't giggle at what I write...

Wacoso
01-05-07, 04:57 PM
Never at your writing. Ed Jr.'s mug on a book, well yeah.

Starr ChamBear
01-08-07, 09:42 AM
Well, Lifeway no likey. Was asked to leave their premises.

Will try Fellowship this weekend.