PDA

View Full Version : K&S Properties

BaylorGuy314
01-05-07, 12:05 PM
Curious to those on here. It's been sometime since I used K&S, but my fiance rented several of their properties when she was in school (she just graduated in Dec. 06), and they have to be the worst property renting service ever.

Just thought I'd get everyone else's thoughts and complaints.

I've seriously thought about starting an anti K&S website so that people could log their complaints.

Thoughts?

CammoTX
01-05-07, 12:23 PM
They are crooks, plain and simple.

They witheld money on my deposit. I was in an apartment of theirs for one semester as a grad student and they claimed I owed them $200 for carpet, blinds, etc. I could not believe the audacity of their claims. I left the place spotless.

Needless to say, I was not some punk undergrad willing to take their ****. So, I hired an attorney and threatened to sue them. After about three months and 3 certified letters they gave me all my money back.

It was a smart move on their part, as I had them by the balls big time.

BaylorGuy314
01-05-07, 12:32 PM
They once took $100 out of my deposit because they claimed the windowsills and baseboards weren't dusted.

What's funny is that we HAD dusted them because one of our friends had gotten screwed in the same manner. I fought them for a long time and I eventually got back $50-60 of it.

After all the arguing, I just left them with the other $40. It was absurd. Non-dusted baseboards? Personally, I think EXTREMELY basic cleaning, like vaccuming and dusting, should be done by the property manager as simple protocol when someone moves out and not taken out of the deposit, but anyways. Want to charge a small $50 cleaning fee at the beginning of the rental for that? Fine. Don't tell me I'll be getting a 100% deposit back if nothings broken and then try to tell me that you had to keep $100 because baseboards and windowsills weren't dusted.

I think what they do is outsource a maid service that cleans every apartment after someone's lived there. She charges for whatever she does and then they mark it up and take it out of your deposit.

The list is a mile long for my fiance's problems. Broken A/C units that took months to replace and cost hundreds of extra dollars in electric bills. Other broken appliances that were not just broken, but OBVIOUSLY broken, when she moved in that they tried to blame her for. Grounds that weren't only unkept, but dangerous. I knew several people who got flat tires after a roofing crew hired by K&S left their extra shingles and nails in driveways and parking lots. K&S denied it. Several times they came into my fiance's house without any kind of attempt at verbal or written notice.

Absolutely pathetic property maintenance in all regards.

I'm wondering whether or not we should try to call the BBB on them, but I'm sure I'll need more than just my personal experiences. The experiences of others would help enormously.

BossRossBear
01-05-07, 12:37 PM
K&S sucks, plain and simple.

I rented from them (relunctantly) for 2.5 years while at Baylor. Before I even moved in I knew they were crooks--they had screwed my brother out of multiple security deposits.

When I moved into my apartment, the carpet was coming up in all four corners and was probably twenty years old. K&S would not replace the carpet, even when I agreed to pay for it, and then tried to bilk me out of my security deposit for "excessive wear" to the carpet.

BaylorGuy314
01-05-07, 12:46 PM
When I moved into my apartment, the carpet was coming up in all four corners and was probably twenty years old. K&S would not replace the carpet, even when I agreed to pay for it, and then tried to bilk me out of my security deposit for "excessive wear" to the carpet.

I had the same problem.

JETHRO
01-05-07, 01:19 PM
Stunk in the 90's. Probably still stink today.

BossRossBear
01-05-07, 01:55 PM
Stunk in the 80s, too.

PhiChi56
01-05-07, 02:01 PM
I lost my deposit my sophomore year because of wear and tear on my windowsills of my apartment. Funny thing was, my apartment didn't have windowsills.

I didn't feel like messing with them about it, but that pissed me the hell off.

BearChick
01-05-07, 03:55 PM
I lived at University Place on 5th and Bagby and had a wonderful experience. Alice, the property manager, was always sweet as pie to me and anything that needed attention got it immediately. I paid $350/mo for a fully furnished efficiency with a porch swing across the street from Big Daddy's. Halcyon days, indeed.

sonuvabear
01-05-07, 05:26 PM
They took my deposit every time. Hell, I even did over $600 of improvements to one apartment that I lived in for three years. Cleaned the heck out of them, too.

I lived in two apartments after that, left them FAR dirtier, and wasn't charged a dime.

They have perennially taken advantage of students with little money to begin with, and if someone would start a class action lawsuit against them I would happily join the crowd.

master bray'tec
01-05-07, 05:37 PM
Which apartments do they run?

wantsBU2win
01-05-07, 05:51 PM
they withheld my deposit of over $100.....until I wrote them a letter and quoted the Texas Rental Property Code where they couldn't withhold rent for repairs such as normal wear and tear. Then I sent them pictures of my apartment.

In that letter I stated that I could take them to small claims court and request 3 times the amount of the withheld rent plust court costs should they not return my deposit. That is the legal remedy (or something similar to that, it's been 7 years ago, I forget) for illegally withheld rent.

Needless to say, I received a check a week letter for my full amount of the deposit withheld.

Yogi
01-05-07, 06:54 PM
Document everything.

And if they still try to screw you, remind them that the Texas Property Code will allow you to recover three times the unrefunded portion of the deposit.

(BTW, if I do L/T, I usually represent the landlord, but I don't like seeing people get screwed either.)

wantsBU2win
01-05-07, 06:58 PM
damn, I have good memory :lol:

WacoKelly
01-05-07, 08:03 PM
Here are their available rentals. No tellin how many properties they own/manage.

http://www.ksproperties.com/leasing.htm

CammoTX
01-05-07, 10:18 PM
Document everything.

And if they still try to screw you, remind them that the Texas Property Code will allow you to recover three times the unrefunded portion of the deposit.

(BTW, if I do L/T, I usually represent the landlord, but I don't like seeing people get screwed either.)

Yogi,

3X the deposit amount, plus $100 for negligence, plus court costs and lawyers fees. I am not bullsh!ting anyone when I said that I was really in the process of filing suit against them.

NewsBruin
01-07-07, 12:42 AM
Same here. I rented at Lou Ann properties by the H-E-B on 9th.

When we rented, the salesman (or whatever) told us that the apartment came with a storage unit, which we had him write on the contract. After we moved in, we asked for the key to the unit. The manager said the key was the owner's property, so we couldn't use it.

We asked again. The salesperson said the owner had furniture in it and didn't want to move his stuff out. We showed him his handwriting on the contract. We suggested that if the owner didn't want to move his stuff out, then the management company could pay for a storage shed (we provided quotes), or take the equivalent amount out of our rent. When we said this, another, older, K&$ exec looked at us and said, "Well, if it's so important to you, maybe you should sue," chuckled, and walked away.

We had Baylor's student attorney draft a letter (she was real helpful, unless it was for Baylor-owned properties), at which point, the owner only took two weeks longer than the agreed-upon moveout date. The K&$ staff treated us like we were divas for the rest of the school year.

Was a storage shed a small deal? Yes, and I'm inclined to judge a person's character on how he handles inconsequential details than the spotlight issues.

Never again with K&$, unless you have a quick-penned lawyer or apartment owner in the family. Their main obligation is to the condo owner at the expense of any expenses. Students are a renewable source of temporary income. I've heard stories of air conditioning (which is specifically mentioned in the Renters' Contrace) and other appliances not getting fixed for weeks or months, and every stall tactic used along the way. When one of their complex's sewage backed up, they refused to replace carpet that had inches of human waste seep into it, until one ill renter's father threatened legal action.

Did we get any of our deposit back? No, we didn't want to deal with them. The satisfaction of leaving that apartment with a trashcan full of cat turds was greater than wrangling for my money back.