PDA

View Full Version : Banana over Texas

SMack
01-06-07, 11:10 AM
I assumed that this was a hoax when I first heard about it, but now I'm not sure.

http://www.geostationarybananaovertexas.com

I don't see how floating a giant inflatable banana over Texas for a month could be a bad idea.

What do y'all think?

master bray'tec
01-06-07, 11:28 AM
Wtf?

groverbabyBU
01-06-07, 12:41 PM
Looks like it will float around waco about 3 times-- someone take pictures if this actually happens.

wantsBU2win
01-06-07, 12:45 PM
and I thought i was big ;)

piratestef
01-06-07, 01:33 PM
That is the coolest thing I've ever heard about.

Can I get a geostationary puffalump bear in the sky, too?

saabing bear
01-06-07, 03:10 PM
I hope King Kong doesn't hear about this.

BearChick
01-06-07, 03:23 PM
Stef. No.

piratestef
01-06-07, 03:36 PM
I can't afford it now, but just you wait...

Baylor Sinister
01-06-07, 03:51 PM
Weirdest thing ever

whitetrash
01-06-07, 05:46 PM
There is something very Freudian about that....

BearChick
01-07-07, 02:38 PM
The banana has made the DMN:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010807dntexbanana.19512aac.html

Artist hopes to float giant banana over Texas

02:37 PM CST on Sunday, January 7, 2007

Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO - A Canadian artist hopes to make the Texas sky his canvas by sending a 1,000-foot-long helium-filled-banana to float overhead next year.

"I want to bring some humor to the Texas sky," Montreal artist Cesar Saez, 38, told the San Antonio Express-News for its Sunday editions.

If the plan works, the giant bamboo and paper dirigible will be launched from a site in Mexico in summer 2008. It will then drift eastward over Texas at a stratospheric altitude of 20 miles before disintegrating.

So far, Saez has raised about a fifth of the estimated $1 million he needs for the project. Contributors include the Canada Council for the Arts, which gave $15,000.

"There's no question this is a serious artistic project," said Donna Balkan, a spokeswoman for the national arts organization. "It's a work of public art, but what makes this project unusual is that he's using the sky as his venue rather than a park or street corner."

Mechanical engineer Manny Teran, whose Michigan company nearSpace Technology is providing consulting, says it's a scientific challenge.

"I'm not exactly sure what it's all about. For me, its just another opportunity to work on what I'm passionate about: lighter-than-air aircraft," he said.

Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's Southwest regional office, said he thinks someone would need to sign off on it.

"You can't just put an object over the United States without checking with agencies and organizations," he said.

But Saez, known in Quebec for his public works, said his lawyers believe the banana will float in an area beyond the reach of earthly authorities.

A spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry released the following statement: "If it works, people will probably go ape over it. We have to be careful, though, because putting bananas in orbit could create a slippery situation."

groverbabyBU
01-07-07, 03:25 PM
A spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry released the following statement: "If it works, people will probably go ape over it. We have to be careful, though, because putting bananas in orbit could create a slippery situation."
Someone is trying to be punny.... :lol:

piratestef
01-07-07, 06:22 PM
If they're not going to spend the money on an on-campus football practice facility, they oughta retrofit this beast to roam the skies:

saabing bear
01-07-07, 07:51 PM
If they're not going to spend the money on an on-campus football practice facility, they oughta retrofit this beast to roam the skies:That bear looks a little too anatomically correct for,...oh, wait, that's a TAIL.