PDA

View Full Version : How Protect Assets In Event of a Divorce?

green
01-09-07, 02:57 PM
This one is for the lawyers out there, but if anyone has gone through a divorce and knows the answer from your own personal experience or from others please let me know. The question is what is the best way to protect your assets in the event of a divorce and if you have assets before getting married is there anything you can do to protect those to make it to where your soon to be x wife won't get them?

Allie Holcomb
01-09-07, 03:03 PM
I would say to not get married if that is really a big deal to you.

CLBear
01-09-07, 03:06 PM
Wow this person sure asks a lot about marriage, divorce and anything else relating to it.

Yogi
01-09-07, 03:09 PM
If you quit purchasing stuff after the marriage, that would seem to work okay. ;)

fubar
01-09-07, 03:12 PM
A "Mr. green" from baylorfans writes:

"Dear Roseanne Roseanneadanna,

How do I protect my assets in case of a divorce? How many people do you know that have been divorced? How many were men? How many were women? What would you do if you caught your spouse in bed with another? How long after divorce should you wait before dating? Did you ever cheat on your spouse? Do you wish you hadn't ever married in the first place? Did you have any kids when you divorced? Would you talk up a married person in case they got a divorce some day? Why do you think so many people get divorced nowadays?"

"Mr. green," you ask a lot of stupid questions! But I, Roseanne Roseanneadanna was married once! We were happy as can be! It was like my really religious aunt, Hosanna Roseanneadanna, used to say: We were two peas in a pod. Then one day ___________

Pretty_N_Pink
01-09-07, 03:13 PM
Remember, trust funds are virtually untouchable, so if you have one, don't worry about it and if she has one, don't expect to get any of it (if you divorce). I wish someone would clue in my cracked-out sister-in-law to this little factoid so she'd leave my (step) brother, but I digress...

fubar
01-09-07, 03:21 PM
Then one day ___________
I came home early, and he was picking lint out of his toes! It was disgusting! I said "Hey! What are you doing picking lint out of your toes? Are you trying to make me sick or something?" And HE said "No! What's it to ya? I'm just trying to practice good hygiene. Does good hygiene make you sick, or what?" And I said "No ... but you picking big lint balls out of your toes make me want to PUKE!" And he said ....

"QUIET!!!! What in the world does picking lint out of your toes have to do with divorce?"

"It just goes to show you, Jane: There's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another. It's like my great aunt from Indianapolis, the archaeologist Indiana Roseanneadanna used to say: If you're not picking lint out of your toes, you're getting divorced. Jane?"

bono
01-09-07, 03:22 PM
Anything you bring into the marriage as your separate property is your own property and not subject to a division upon divorce. Keep the assets in a separate account and do not comingle them with joint assets and they will remain yours. If you comingle the assets with joint assets then it is all up for grabs. Being able to trace them as your own separate property is the key.

fubar
01-09-07, 03:26 PM
On a serious note -- and I usually hate being serious -- what bono said is almost certainly true, but it depends on state law ... and one state's law is almost never identical to another's in this area.

piratestef
01-09-07, 11:31 PM
How now brown cow? You're missing a word or two in your title, hon.