PDA

View Full Version : Best Tiger Woods Shot Ever?

womfalcs7
01-09-07, 06:44 PM
I just can't get enough of this shot. I must've watched it 150 times since I saw it live.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-740084892738160457

It's a truly amazing shot with all the surrounding circumstances. The ball had to be hit with great accuracy due to the fact it lied flush against the intermediate rough. That made the shot difficult. Then it was hard enough to have it land perfectly to let gravity take over. Of course the lingering on the lip there added considerable amount of drama to the shot. He went on to win that Masters in a playoff against DiMarco.

Ghostrider
01-09-07, 07:36 PM
He's ok....

Waco Lions
01-09-07, 09:03 PM
he's alright if you like the awesome type.

Camo08
01-09-07, 09:08 PM
I love the hole in one in '97 on 16 at the Phoenix Open. The crowd went ape**** tossing beer and water bottles all over the place.

Ghostrider
01-09-07, 09:42 PM
I hate show offs

Bankerbear
01-09-07, 09:47 PM
he was just lucky --- doubt he has ever had a full round that was really outstanding

Texas Golfer
01-09-07, 10:56 PM
I just can't get enough of this shot. I must've watched it 150 times since I saw it live.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-740084892738160457

It's a truly amazing shot with all the surrounding circumstances. The ball had to be hit with great accuracy due to the fact it lied flush against the intermediate rough. That made the shot difficult. Then it was hard enough to have it land perfectly to let gravity take over. Of course the lingering on the lip there added considerable amount of drama to the shot. He went on to win that Masters in a playoff against DiMarco.

I remember that shot very well. Chris DiMarco didn't know whether to sh!t or go blind.

One of my favorites is when Tiger played Pebble Beach. He hit his drive on the par 5, #6 way to the right. The second shot is sharply uphill regardless of where you drive the ball but Tigers was deep in the rough behind the tree next to the bluff. He was about 250 yards from the green.

Tiger pulled out a 6-iron. Having played Pebble Beach annually for about eight years, I know there's no way he could hit that ball out of the rough, clear the tree almost immediately in front of him, uphill, and put in on the green. Not only did he, he put the ball about five feet from the cup for an easy eagle.

I bet he couldn't do it again. :D

Ghostrider
01-09-07, 10:59 PM
What's amazing about Tiger is that he hits these shots with so much pressure on him. Sure some could hit these shots with no one watching.....but on this type of stage it is amazing.

Ty McNeely
01-10-07, 03:05 AM
I hate golf.

I've played one round my entire life, and I wasn't a fan at all.

I never watch it either.

Somehow, as fate would have it, I somehow saw that shot LIVE. I still remember being in awe when it happened, and I'm still in awe now.

That being said, I hate golf.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 07:06 AM
I love golf.

Just not a Tiger fan. You could lay 500 balls down there and he could never do it again. But he made the one that counted.

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 08:30 AM
i didnt even have to click that link to know it was the 16th at augusta. i love that hole! you can sit over on the back right of the green and watch the field come thru and hole out then tee off right next to it on 17. the beer and pimento cheese sandwich line is only steps away. i got to see tiger up close tee off on 7 at augusta last year. he was eating a banana and threw the peel in the trash. some kid goes into the trash and pulls the peel out and puts it in his pocket. im a huge tiger fan but seriously WTH are you gonna do w/ tigers banana peel.

Jack Bauer
01-10-07, 08:50 AM
2000 PGA - 72nd hole, downhill putt (about 8 feet) to tie Bob May and force a playoff.

2000 Canadian Open - approach shot on 72nd hole, from the fairway bunker, over the water and just on the back of the green to seal the win...

Texas Golfer
01-10-07, 11:12 AM
I love golf.

Just not a Tiger fan. You could lay 500 balls down there and he could never do it again. But he made the one that counted.

That's why Chris DiMarco looked like he'd been shot in the gut. :lol:

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 11:20 AM
dimarco doesnt deserve to win a major. i would like to see chad campbell get a major sometime.

Texas Golfer
01-10-07, 12:32 PM
dimarco doesnt deserve to win a major. i would like to see chad campbell get a major sometime.

Now you've made me curious. Why doesn't DiMarco deserve a major? Why does he deserve it less than anyone else?

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 01:00 PM
I like DiMarco, whats up with that "The Claw"!!!

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 01:06 PM
i have some insight into the world of golf and certain players i like better than others. dimarco is one of those i think is a cocky jackass. of course that sums up about 90% of those on tour but some are cooler than others. also, i hate phil and think he is a fake douche so i dont like him to win. alas, as bobby jones said a good golf patron shouldnt cheer poor play so i would never cheer for either of them to do poorly but in my head i hope phil drives his ball into a trash bag and blows up. oh yeah, my least fav player on the pga is rory sabatini. he is a pissed off jerk and needs to remember that hes making a buttload of money to do what others only dream about.

i like all the bridgestone players esp appleby and freddy. i like ben crane b/c he was a friend while he was at BU. i like chad campbell b/c he is a down to earth nice guy and of course tiger b/c he is the greatest player of all time. oh yeah, i also really like darren clarke and daly would be a fun player to have in your group.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 01:11 PM
i have some insight into the world of golf and certain players i like better than others. dimarco is one of those i think is a cocky jackass. of course that sums up about 90% of those on tour but some are cooler than others. also, i hate phil and think he is a fake douche so i dont like him to win. alas, as bobby jones said a good golf patron shouldnt cheer poor play so i would never cheer for either of them to do poorly but in my head i hope phil drives his ball into a trash bag and blows up. oh yeah, my least fav player on the pga is rory sabatini. he is a pissed off jerk and needs to remember that hes making a buttload of money to do what others only dream about.

i like all the bridgestone players esp appleby and freddy. i like ben crane b/c he was a friend while he was at BU. i like chad campbell b/c he is a down to earth nice guy and of course tiger b/c he is the greatest player of all time. oh yeah, i also really like darren clarke and daly would be a fun player to have in your group.Wow, just Wow. Fred Couples is the nicest guy you could ever meet. And yes I have.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 01:18 PM
Oh and loco, Scott Verplank is by far the biggest a$$ on tour.

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 01:24 PM
rumor has it that phil and amy mickelson are swingers.

Aray
01-10-07, 01:28 PM
I heard Phil is a prick on tour and Couples is a HUGE Pimp

Best Tiger shot was in the PGA at Hazeltine a couple years back. Had a downhill lie in the bunker and 210 out. Had to clear trees that were 50-75 yards away and clear a bunker in front of the green. He proceeded to do all that and knock it on the green 10 feet from the hole. He's unreal.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 01:29 PM
rumor has it that phil and amy mickelson are swingers.Hook em up with Bear.

gointokashmir
01-10-07, 01:35 PM
I heard Phil is a prick on tour and Couples is a HUGE Pimp

Best Tiger shot was in the PGA at Hazeltine a couple years back. Had a downhill lie in the bunker and 210 out. Had to clear trees that were 50-75 yards away and clear a bunker in front of the green. He proceeded to do all that and knock it on the green 10 feet from the hole. He's unreal.
That is also my favorite Tiger shot, it was incredible, especially considering he was standing outside of the bunker. He went on to make the birdie, of course.

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 01:43 PM
tiger had a shot last year at vegas i think (not sure) but he was going for the green on a par 5 with water all around the front and flew it in the water. he had a drop at the front of the green where he flew in and some ridiculously long putt which he sunk and still made a freaking bird. to go into the water and still pull off a bird is absurd.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 01:54 PM
tiger had a shot last year at vegas i think (not sure) but he was going for the green on a par 5 with water all around the front and flew it in the water. he had a drop at the front of the green where he flew in and some ridiculously long putt which he sunk and still made a freaking bird. to go into the water and still pull off a bird is absurd.2 in the water, 3 out, 4 on and a putt made 5. Thats par in my book.

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 02:24 PM
2 in droppin 3 puttin 4 and sunk it. bird. the front of the green was just fringe and putted from there.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 02:27 PM
2 in droppin 3 puttin 4 and sunk it. bird. the front of the green was just fringe and putted from there.If how you described it is correct, you can't drop it green side. He would have dropped it back in the fairway then hit 4 then putted 5.

Waco Lions
01-10-07, 02:50 PM
You could lay 500 balls down there and he could never do it again

If you gave Tiger 500 balls to try to make that again, he'd probably make 80-90 of them, and put the rest really close.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 02:55 PM
If you gave Tiger 500 balls to try to make that again, he'd probably make 80-90 of them, and put the rest really close.This might be the post of the year. NOT. I say he never makes one of 500 and doesn't get 5 within 5 feet. Same shot on 16 from where he was. I don't know how much you play, but I bet you put 10 out of 10 from there in the lake.

edit. I'll bet the 5 he gets within 5 feet are all short. If that ball of his don't go in, it's down on the fringe at the lake, maybe in the water.I know it wasn't movin much at the hole, but 2 more inches and it's 10 ft by.

gointokashmir
01-10-07, 02:59 PM
If how you described it is correct, you can't drop it green side. He would have dropped it back in the fairway then hit 4 then putted 5.
I saw it. 2nd in the water, dropped where it last crossed which was on the fringe about 40-50 feet away then he sunk it for birdie. Only Tiger.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 03:04 PM
I saw it. 2nd in the water, dropped where it last crossed which was on the fringe about 40-50 feet away then he sunk it for birdie. Only Tiger.Then it must have been different than LOCO described. If the water fronted the green and he flew it in, his only drop was back in the fairway. Think about 15 at Augusta. It happens a bunch every year. Balls hit the green then back up in the water. They go across the bridge and drop on the fairway side.

gointokashmir
01-10-07, 03:08 PM
Then it must have been different than LOCO described. If the water fronted the green and he flew it in, his only drop was back in the fairway. Think about 15 at Augusta. It happens a bunch every year. Balls hit the green then back up in the water. They go across the bridge and drop on the fairway side.
This water hazard that Tiger hit into was over and to the right of the green, the hole is nothing like the 15th at Augusta.

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 03:08 PM
Then it must have been different than LOCO described. If the water fronted the green and he flew it in, his only drop was back in the fairway. Think about 15 at Augusta. It happens a bunch every year. Balls hit the green then back up in the water. They go across the bridge and drop on the fairway side.

he dropped at the back of the green then but it was like an island green and they gave him a drop at the green. however he did it i was amazed. the putt was super long.

yeah kashmir is right. the water fronted and surrounded the green on like 75%. he flew in the water on the right side of the green not in front. they let him drop on the side where he went in but he almost landed the shot on.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 03:13 PM
but he was going for the green on a par 5 with water all around the front and flew it in the water. This is what I was going off of.

ATL Bear
01-10-07, 03:19 PM
Then it must have been different than LOCO described. If the water fronted the green and he flew it in, his only drop was back in the fairway. Think about 15 at Augusta. It happens a bunch every year. Balls hit the green then back up in the water. They go across the bridge and drop on the fairway side.That's the 13th hole, not the 15th. No bridge on 15, other than a dam ledge, but a pond fronts the green.

DONNIE D
01-10-07, 03:25 PM
That's the 13th hole, not the 15th. No bridge on 15, other than a dam ledge, but a pond fronts the green.Sarazen Bridge to the left of 15 green. Been there since 1955. 13 is the creek.

ATL Bear
01-10-07, 03:36 PM
Sarazen Bridge to the left of 15 green. Been there since 1955. 13 is the creek.True, but it's little used because unlike 13 or 12, you have a land connection between the green and the fairway. In fact, they used to have stands right up against it, but they removed them several years ago.

I thought you were implying #13 or #12, where approach shots (tee shot in the case of #12), and putts for that matter, are notorious for rolling into the water due to the steep green side ledges.

Texas Golfer
01-10-07, 06:29 PM
Having never qualified for The Masters, I'm not familiar with Augusta. I know Pebble Beach very well. :D

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 07:40 PM
I'm rescinding my dislike of dimarco. Hes alright.

eastdallasloco
01-10-07, 08:31 PM
One more hijack of this thread for the golf fans. I'm reading a great golf novel right now called shanks for nothing by Rick Reilly. Its a real fun read about some funny gambling muni players. Donnie, TX golfer and others I highly recommend it.

El Oso
01-10-07, 08:47 PM
I hate golf.

I've played one round my entire life, and I wasn't a fan at all.

I never watch it either.

That being said, I hate golf.

This was me until somebody gave me tickets to the Byron Nelson a few years back
1. The women
2. The alcohol

i love golf live

Waco Lions
01-10-07, 09:13 PM
I fear you grossly underestimate Tiger's skill around the greens. You give him 500 balls and he'll find the right stroke and repeat it over and over and over again.

And yes, I do play golf. Handicap's 5.9

DONNIE D
01-11-07, 07:40 AM
I fear you grossly underestimate Tiger's skill around the greens. You give him 500 balls and he'll find the right stroke and repeat it over and over and over again.

And yes, I do play golf. Handicap's 5.9:lol: If you were a .9 it wouldn't matter. I played it in 1993 on outing day. This is appx. 1 month after the tourny. All the stands are gone, and it is not near as fast as during the event. We dropped about 10 balls on the back left of 16, and only one stayed on the green. I've been going there for a long time, and the pros are amazing, but I can promise you if ask, Tiger would wont no part of that shot again.

Waco Lions
01-11-07, 10:41 PM
i'll take your word for it since you've played there, but i still think you underestimate his skill. he would still hole out an ungodly number of them.

Texas Golfer
01-12-07, 06:19 AM
i'll take your word for it since you've played there, but i still think you underestimate his skill. he would still hole out an ungodly number of them.

I agree with Donnie. That was a shot of a lifetime. By Tiger's own reaction, you could tell that even he didn't expect to hole the shot. He was merely trying to get close enough for an easy putt.

eastdallasloco
01-12-07, 09:01 AM
there are no easy putts at augusta

Texas Golfer
01-12-07, 09:09 AM

Which makes Tiger's shot all that much more incredible. Donnie's right. He couldn't do it again if you gave him 500 more tries.

DS Bear
01-12-07, 09:14 AM

I play golf about twice a year, and have never even been to Augusta.

However, when Barbie and I live in Atlanta, one of our neighbors was a sales rep for Mizuno. He got invited to play Augusta. The next day when he got back, all us guys went over to his house to get the report. We asked him about putting, in particular. He said never try to read the putt yourself, just try to do whatever your caddy tells you to do. As for speed, he said imagine putting down the hood of your car.

BaylorOkie
01-12-07, 08:30 PM
Cant' wait to see Tiger play in the PGA Championship next summer.

Of course, it'll be 102 degrees outside...