PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Baylor student apartments?

tracybear
01-10-07, 11:33 PM
My daughter and 2 or 3 friends are planning on sharing an apartment next year. I would appreciate recommendations on apartments and ones to avoid. These girls are looking for a nicer place, as opposed to a cheaper place (sigh, when I was at BU, I could only afford the holes-in-the-wall).

BearChick
01-11-07, 01:08 AM
I lived at University Place and LOVED it. Located at 5th and Bagby...the ones with porch swings. Mine was very nice and very well maintained. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still live there.

wantsBU2win
01-11-07, 06:38 AM
Don't live at River Crest.....never get your repairs done and if you do, they'll get back to you in a week.

The Place apartments look nice

russinfortworth
01-11-07, 06:54 AM
Don't live at River Crest.....never get your repairs done and if you do, they'll get back to you in a week.

The Place apartments look nice

River Crest was the place to be................back in the mid 80's, I guess that is what 25 years will do.

Wood
01-11-07, 07:41 AM
DO NOT rent at Williamsburg unless it's the only thing you can afford. I think they're actually under 400 a month now for a 1 bedroom. Here is what I enjoyed during my time there:

1) The entire place reeks of smoke... first time I vacuumed there was this brown film on the bottom of my vacuum cleaner after I finished

2) It's near LaSalle, and yes you do hear gunshots at night

3) A 3 year old could kick down the front door... the frame was still broken on mine from the last time it happened

4) I found at least one hypodermic syringe in the parking lot

5) Laundromat has a grand total of 4 washing machines and 3 dryers, at the most 2 of which actually work at a given time

6) The warps in the walls are visible to the naked eye

7) If you get it furnished, the furniture is from the 60s/70s and reeks to high heaven of who knows what.

I will have to say in their favor, however, that they are very responsive to repair calls.

BearTooth
01-11-07, 08:07 AM
I lived in Williamsburg in 1980 and it was awful then. I can't imagine what 25 more years of abuse has done to it.

BaylorBabe
01-11-07, 09:07 AM
I lived in Mark Twain, I loved it, but I think it has been torn down in the interest of progress (ie Garage-Ma-Hal).

BUGWBBear
01-11-07, 10:07 AM
My stepson is currently at The Outpost. Big enough, but the sofa and couch is done up in an uphosltery pattern that would offend bad taste...Hunter green with multi-colored polka-dots. They just scream for abuse.

20+ years ago, I lived at what is now called Browning Square my senior year. Nice enough and quiet due to the fact that a lot of the Law School students lived there. I'm betting it's not that much different now.

Before that, I was at some dump way down on 5th St near LaSalle. White buildings with sickly tan-painted roofs. The name has changed to what I can't remember, but it would be considered palatial for a 3rd world refugee (probably what's occupying it these days). I was amazed it was still standing when I drove by there a week ago.

piratestef
01-11-07, 10:27 AM
My stepson is currently at The Outpost. Big enough, but the sofa and couch is done up in an uphosltery pattern that would offend bad taste...Hunter green with multi-colored polka-dots. They just scream for abuse.

20+ years ago, I lived at what is now called Browning Square my senior year. Nice enough and quiet due to the fact that a lot of the Law School students lived there. I'm betting it's not that much different now.

Before that, I was at some dump way down on 5th St near LaSalle. White buildings with sickly tan-painted roofs. The name has changed to what I can't remember, but it would be considered palatial for a 3rd world refugee (probably what's occupying it these days). I was amazed it was still standing when I drove by there a week ago.

Is Browning Square the really modern-looking building next to the FIJI house or am I thinking of a Browning something else?

It's not the place next to LL Sams, is it? I can't remember the name, either, but it's a bunch of 1-bedrooms and my friend who lived there last year had his car broken into there.

LaSalle is a scary, creepy place.

Texasjeremy
01-11-07, 10:48 AM
Just be sure to stay away from anything owned by University Rentals, especially Baylor Arms. There have been police reports filed in the past about someone working for them (most likely maintenance) using their keys and going through apartments and stealing when students are gone on break.

Bigshot628
01-11-07, 12:58 PM
Bandera Ranch if you can afford it is probably one of the nicest I've seen thus far. Stay away from University Rentals, everything they own is cheap.

Baylor Plaza I and Baylor Plaza II are not bad... big living rooms, fully furnished, cheap rent, two stories but they are kind of run down.

I'm living at the Centre next year... they're nicer than BP I or II but a bit more expensive and they aren't furnished at all.

Honestly I think the best bet is to get a house, but that's just me.

ATexBear
01-11-07, 01:05 PM
Bandera Ranch and Outpost. The pool area at Outpost is sick. It's like a small resort.

cletus
01-11-07, 01:14 PM
I enjoyed the years I was at Cobblestone.

BUGWBBear
01-11-07, 02:37 PM
Is Browning Square the really modern-looking building next to the FIJI house or am I thinking of a Browning something else?

It's not the place next to LL Sams, is it? I can't remember the name, either, but it's a bunch of 1-bedrooms and my friend who lived there last year had his car broken into there.

LaSalle is a scary, creepy place.

It's the one behind the Canterbury House on 9th. It's only got 42 units and completely enclosed with a pool in the middle. It was called something else when I lived there, but it was light years ahead of the POS near LaSalle I lived in the year before. The only 'Swank' place at the time I was a student were the condos along Lake Brazos.

Over there, cockroaches are the only thing keeping the place up...sorta like the Peace House in Crawford.

GoBearsGo
01-11-07, 03:15 PM
Senior Year lived at Casa Royal-1 bedroom $325 all bills paid. I know they lost money on me just in the electric bill.

Bigshot628
01-11-07, 03:18 PM
Oh yea, Bandera Ranch gives you a 50 inch flat screen that you can use for the time you are paying them out the ass to live there.

TrapIt4Life
01-11-07, 03:32 PM
Early - mid 90's...Baylor Landing was the place to be. Now torn down, as Garage-Mah-Hall and Truett's borders sit on what once was sacred cheap-rent ground.

BearChick
01-11-07, 05:12 PM
Early - mid 90's...Baylor Landing was the place to be. Now torn down, as Garage-Mah-Hall and Truett's borders sit on what once was sacred cheap-rent ground.

Are you kidding? My dorm roomie asked if I wanted to move in with her and a couple of other girls over there. My exact words: "In the joint that looks like two shoeboxes stacked on top of one another?"

I went on to pay $100 a month more for a much newer, fully furnished efficiency where I had my own porch swing and (for the sanity of the only child here) didn't have to mess with roommates. Best friends lived next door, FTR, and so it was like having roommates...just with a door that only I had the key to in between. I loved it.

Jonny Blaze
01-11-07, 05:16 PM
I enjoyed the years I was at Cobblestone.

I never lived there, but I always thought that Cobblestone was very nice.

Allie Holcomb
01-11-07, 05:27 PM
I resided in The Centre and The Village. The Centre has one HUGE drawback--vents on the floor. That might seem trivial, but when you're blowdrying your hair it isn't. HOT, HOT, HOT!

I think LL Sams and The Place are nice now. None of those swanky joints were there when I was at BU. You know, back in the day when we actually still had to share a room with our roomie with was normal.

TrapIt4Life
01-11-07, 06:35 PM
Are you kidding? My dorm roomie asked if I wanted to move in with her and a couple of other girls over there. My exact words: "In the joint that looks like two shoeboxes stacked on top of one another?"

Oh, an aesthetically pleasing place it was not...but its proximity to campus and its lack of substantial rent payments made it a delightful, albeit shoeboxy option. I also lived in the Village (III), that was cool too.

piratestef
01-11-07, 07:22 PM
What did this place look like, for pete's sake? I think I remember a big cinderblocky building that had a green and gold Baylor Bear mural on the side behind the old Shoney's, but that was like, second or third grade.

Pics?!

--wants to see exactly how shoeboxy statman's old pad was, dagnabbit.

pars26
01-11-07, 07:31 PM
I lived at Baylor Landing with three other guys from 91-94 and loved it. Paid, I think $150/month and the way the court yards were laid out was awesome for big parties. Of course, since I think it was technically on Baylor property the Baylor cops would shut them down after the parties got pretty loud.

They had a huge living room, huge kitchen and the 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath was awesome for a college student at the time.....

tracybear
01-11-07, 08:15 PM
Bandera Ranch is now saying that the TV was a limited time offer and they are not throwing it in anymore. Also, they have a new management company because there were some break-in issues. My daughter and her friends are leaning toward there, but it is pricey and if someplace is as nice for less and closer to campus, I'm sure they would want to know.

piratestef
01-11-07, 09:00 PM
You might consider some of the new houses and duplexes that are all over the area around Baylor. I've never looked into them, but they look pretty nice and don't seem as expensive as a lot of the places like Bandera Ranch.

There's also the Union--it's where the old abandoned school was and reminds me of the apartments in Seattle with the underground parking. It's, what, a year old?

Waymond Bear1
01-11-07, 10:07 PM
Get a house. Third and Gurley; even know the kid who paid off the cops for when he has parties. Good spot.

ncbear2
01-12-07, 06:38 AM
Try The Alamo---yellow stucco house on Speight across from the Methodist Center.

StatMan
01-13-07, 11:15 AM
I lived at Baylor Plaza I, Williamsburg Apts., and Mark Twain Apts. Of the 3 mentioned, Mark Twain Apts. were the best, but alas, no longer in existence. :eyes:
I lived in Mark Twain, I loved it, but I think it has been torn down in the interest of progress (ie Garage-Ma-Hal).

Solan=Christ!!!
01-13-07, 12:45 PM
Stats, were you in Mark Twain when the peeping tom was there?