PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic question

El Oso
01-12-07, 04:34 PM
For the last few months, about once a week, my car has been wanting to stall out when accelerating a red lights. It never did. I never got around to exploring it.

Today, it stalled out--3 times in about 45 minutes of driving. It took longer and longer to restart each time.

In the past: Basically, when I took my foot off the brake, the engine got real quiet and when I applied the gas it wouldnt accelerate. After about a second it would lurch forward and go.

Today, it just died at three red lights--not consecutively. I can turn the car on and off right now at will. It has been sitting in my driveway for about an hour.

Tomorrow, when it stops raining, and is brighter I'm going to look at it. I'm thinking first look at the spark plugs, then the fuel filter, then the fuel pump.

Gas tank is 3/4 full and there is plenty of oil in the car.

Any ideas on if you think I'm on the right track or other things I should be looking for? I'm a novice. The car is a 94 Toyota Tercel with 122k in miles

BHJ
01-12-07, 04:38 PM
plug wires? fuel filter? fuel pump?

when was the last tune-up?

if it was recent, then it's the fuel filter, then worst case scenario is the fuel pump.

- clickandclackkm

AmarilloBear
01-12-07, 05:26 PM
fuel filter is clogged- replace it and it should fix your problem

BaylorOkie
01-12-07, 06:19 PM
Agree on the fuel filter fix.

Solan=Christ!!!
01-12-07, 07:03 PM
Why are you accelerating at red lights? That's a bigger problem I think.

El Oso
01-12-07, 07:09 PM
Why are you accelerating at red lights? That's a bigger problem I think.

It did cause a slight increase when my insurance renewed this month

I usually put gas treatment in every other week--still thinking clog?

LordByron
01-12-07, 09:39 PM
For the last few months, about once a week, my car has been wanting to stall out when accelerating a red lights. It never did. I never got around to exploring it.

Today, it stalled out--3 times in about 45 minutes of driving. It took longer and longer to restart each time.

In the past: Basically, when I took my foot off the brake, the engine got real quiet and when I applied the gas it wouldnt accelerate. After about a second it would lurch forward and go.

Today, it just died at three red lights--not consecutively. I can turn the car on and off right now at will. It has been sitting in my driveway for about an hour.

Tomorrow, when it stops raining, and is brighter I'm going to look at it. I'm thinking first look at the spark plugs, then the fuel filter, then the fuel pump.

Any ideas on if you think I'm on the right track or other things I should be looking for? I'm a novice. The car is a 94 Toyota Tercel with 122k in milesCheck your vacuum hoses for leaks. If they look old, replace them.

Trader Bear
01-12-07, 09:48 PM
Fuel filter is my guess. I had a Chevy Blazer in the mid-90s that had this problem and it is very frustrating. Not terribly expensive to fix though.

Wacoso
01-12-07, 09:52 PM
I'm going with vacuum hoses.

BUGWBBear
01-12-07, 11:24 PM

Any ideas on if you think I'm on the right track or other things I should be looking for? I'm a novice. The car is a 94 Toyota Tercel with 122k in miles

Vacuum hoses. Happened to my Monte Carlo once while I was at Baylor. At least it's a starting point.