PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious

bmcc87
01-13-07, 12:01 AM
Anyone here hate Baylor their first semester and then end up liking it? I have a friend who is a freshmen here and after her first semester said she hated it and was strongly considering transferring. I told her that she should give it another semester and see if she meets some more people, adjusts more etc. I think first semester can be a hard transition time sometimes for people and they like it more the second semester. But then again, its hard for me to say since I liked Baylor first semester (though I liked the next one better). So I was interested to hear from some other people and see if it is common to not like it at first and then end up liking it or if I am giving my friend bad advice. Also, if you didn't like it at first, what helped you to come around on it?

I'll hang up and listen now. Sorry if that sounded too much like a Dear Abby letter lol.

Waco Lions
01-13-07, 01:11 AM
I hate people who never give it a chance. They decide they aren't going to make an effort to make friends or meet new people the first day and they stick to it. Then they drop out, go back home to a community college where they never transfer out of and never make anything of themselves because they were too stupid to say hi to someone.

BrooksBearLives
01-13-07, 09:44 AM
The research out there says that students make their decision about whether they love or hate a place within the first 6 weeks of their time there. After that, it rarely changes. That having been said, Baylor is an amazing place. Nearly perfect even in its imperfections. (to me, at least)

I lost myself and found myself at Baylor. I'll pray for your friend.

But then again, it definitely ain't for everyone. I'd rather your friend leave than stay and hate it. For her good and for the good of Baylor. Pearls before swine, and such.

kisses,
BBL

robby44
01-13-07, 09:47 AM
I liked my first semester and hated my second semester. That's when I found out my girlfriend was bi. That was a rough one.

sonuvabear
01-13-07, 09:49 AM
I hated my first semester because none of the friends I made during that time "stuck", but after that I made the best friends I've ever had and I loved it ever since.

ATexBear
01-13-07, 06:24 PM
I liked my first semester and hated my second semester. That's when I found out my girlfriend was bi. That was a rough one.

See Robby, thats where you and I differ. Had I found out that my girlfriend was bi that would have made it my best semester at Baylor. So many possibilities...

bauctalk
01-13-07, 07:00 PM

Robby,

This maybe the most fascinating thing you have ever shared on this site! Please, you must share details as to this most interesting time in your life. ;)

bauc

John Shaft
01-13-07, 07:01 PM
I wasn't real fond of my first semester...took a while for Baylor to "stick." I didn't seriously consider transferring because I didn't really have any particular desire to be anywhere else...but it was very easy to wonder "what if I went to the wrong place?"

By the end of my second semester, all that had changed, and I had a great experience the whole time I was there...to the point that I'm on these boards all the time! I'm not going to say that your friend will have the same results as me if she decides to stay, but I suppose if it happened for me, it's possible it will for her, too.

bmcc87
01-14-07, 11:17 PM
The research out there says that students make their decision about whether they love or hate a place within the first 6 weeks of their time there. After that, it rarely changes. That having been said, Baylor is an amazing place. Nearly perfect even in its imperfections. (to me, at least)

I lost myself and found myself at Baylor. I'll pray for your friend.

But then again, it definitely ain't for everyone. I'd rather your friend leave than stay and hate it. For her good and for the good of Baylor. Pearls before swine, and such.

kisses,
BBL

Thanks BBL I appreciate the prayers. I would agree that is not for everyone, and my friend is not the typical "Baylor girl," so I can understand where she is coming from somewhat and I wouldn't want her to stay somewhere she doesn't like. That being said, I think there is a little of what Waco Lions said involved to. I think she freaked out right before she came about leaving home and basically had the attitude she wouldn't like it before she even got here.

TrapIt4Life
01-15-07, 03:30 AM
Being from Denver, I thought I was going to die no less than 1300 times my first semester. Either from heat stroke (the 105 on move-in day, having never been to texas before, was a real treat) or a self inflicted hammer to the temple manuever. I hated it there, I sat in my 8x6 cell in Penland, reading the snow reports back home, wanting to cry for days. But eventually grew out of my *****in' and decided to make the best of what I thought was a dire situation. I dont know if I'm prepared to give it the "best 4 years of my life" designation, but I definitely had my share of absolutely stunningly great memories after my 4 years. Did Sing, ate at Vitek's, tagged an MCC chick who told me she went to Baylor, I think I covered all my bases. Glad I stuck with it after that first year of Penland's indentured servitude camp. Good stuff BU. Sic em

bobo
01-15-07, 07:24 AM
I as on the fence my first semester. Had an ok roomate, but was just tired of the dorky ra, DIG folks knocking every other night, some other babtista group wanting to save me, chicks who dressed up for sunday lunch like they had been at church, etc. But then I remembered all the fun I had at 18th street lounge, keg parties, 25th street, hot chicks, and some great guys on the hall. It is all about who you meet and it can take awhile.

Allie Holcomb
01-15-07, 07:28 AM
I honestly didn't like it at first, but I refused to transfer. By mid-second semester I ended up loving it. Baylor was a wonderful experience for me. I think a lot of it had to do with the high school boyfriend that was not at BU. My best advice to any senior going off to college: DON'T go to college with a bf/gf.

CLBear
01-15-07, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't say I hated it my first year, but it was definitely a hard transition. When I came back my second year I freaking had the time of my life and never looked back. I loved my time at Baylor and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

BearTooth
01-15-07, 08:19 AM
Halfway through Welcome Week I was worried that I had made a mistake. Once classes started everything was fine.

jaybear
01-15-07, 10:11 AM
I guess I am one of the few who never had a problem. I loved it here from the start. Badass roommate, a couple friends from highschool coming with me, and the fact that I have family here so I already knew all there was to do in Waco. I guess that made the biggest difference; everybody came to me to find something to do. Hell, I only knew of one person that didn't like it. She decided she didn't want to make new friends, so she would go back to austin every weekend. I think she was only in town maybe 4 or 5 weekends that whole semester. Finally, I made her go out more, and what do you know, she loves it now.

Yogi
01-15-07, 10:35 AM
It's a personality trait.

Most of the time, if you stick with it in those situations, you actually wind up appreciating where you are.

piratestef
01-15-07, 11:34 AM
I didn't like my roommate. I hated Spanish 1412, which took up so much time out of class that I had to drop hours, plus it was an 8 AM class--barf. But I liked the BIC, so I stuck with it and now I wouldn't be anywhere else. Once I started going out more and meeting people, I really got to liking it here.

GoBearsGo
01-15-07, 12:03 PM
Man I loved it from day one. Parties girls, I did forget to go to class a lot. 11 years later no one asks my GPA when they look at my diploma.