PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember The Water Works???

Pecos 45
06-01-07, 03:58 PM
This was a GREAT restaurant in Waco during the 1970s. Big Baylor hang out with incredibly good food, great bar and a good place to meet women.
Used to love their Eggs Benedict at brunch.
It closed long ago, but for a while, it was HOT!!!

Anyone else have memories of the Water Works?

turk4037
06-01-07, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I remember it. Don't have too many memories of the place though. I spent more time at Mickey's.

Pecos 45
06-01-07, 04:05 PM
Pacheco's Restaurant in Fort Stockton has moved to a new location. They are at the west end of Dickinson Boulevard, and serve some of the best Mexican food west of the Pecos (and maybe all of Texas).

If you're headed west, pull off of I-10 at the Pecos Highway, go south, then turn west at the light (Dickinson Boulevard). Pacheco's is on the south side of the road, big white building.

Pecos 45 says, "Check it out!"

Bigshot628
06-01-07, 04:08 PM
I thought this was a thread about monopoly.

Pecos 45
06-01-07, 04:09 PM
It is.
Monopolizing good taste and good food.
(You do have good taste,don't you?)

DONNIE D
06-01-07, 04:16 PM
I remember Water Works very well. It was the place in Waco in the early 70's. MLK Dr. wasn't even there, so if you missed the parking lot, you went off in the river!!! Had a great Happy Hour.

SoTexBear
06-01-07, 04:22 PM
Sang "Jeremiah was a Bullfrog" karaoke there back in the early 90s. Fun times (at least for me, not so much for those listening).

ATexBear
06-01-07, 05:14 PM
Is this the same place that is now "Legacy"?

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
06-01-07, 05:29 PM
Forget The Water Works. Who's the hottie with the combo plates at Pacheco's?

Bigshot628
06-01-07, 06:41 PM
It is.
Monopolizing good taste and good food.
(You do have good taste,don't you?)

the only good mexican food in my book is my grandma's mexican food... but then again, i think everyone's grandma makes the best mexican food, if they're mexican of course... if not, they make the best something.

there are some good places out there with decent mexican food, if i'm ever out in that direction, i'll be sure to give it a try.

xiledinok
06-01-07, 06:47 PM
Didn't they find a dead body behind it several years ago (7-8 years ago). I did like the food. Too bad it closed.
Pecos, West Texas is blessed with so many beautiful Mexican-American girls. Who is the girl?

Self Made Bear
06-01-07, 07:05 PM
My best memories are when they used to do comedy night there in the early 90's when Sean McCann owned it. He's now selling real estate and long gone from the restaurant/bar business.

Doc
06-01-07, 07:10 PM
Sean didn't do well in the food industry. I hear he's doing ok in real estate. That bald Irish b@stard is a friend of mine but I haven't seen him in a while.

The 90's Water Works was the reincarnation of the original. Good food back in the day. And for those who remember the original you will also remember the "Pelican" that was right next door. I think it might have been later known as the Wharf or Pelicans Wharf.

BearTooth
06-01-07, 07:38 PM
I tended bar at Water Works and the Pelican back in my BU days.

saabing bear
06-01-07, 10:01 PM
I remember the Water Works. I didn't know it had closed so long ago. Haven't looked for it in a long time.

I also remember Fort Stockton. Got stuck there one day in 1985 and took a walk all the way around the town.

Hornfan
06-01-07, 10:44 PM
Yeah I remember Water Works. Friends of mine were there one night when a big rat fell from the ceiling and landed in Mrs. Friend's french onion soup.
Kinda spoiled the evening, ya know?

Bearupnobly
06-01-07, 11:19 PM
My wife loved the "Baylor Beauty". I think it was a tomato stuffed with something. We used to go there when we were expecting our first child. Many happy memories! It was among the hottest restaurants in Waco during the 70s.

saabing bear
06-02-07, 06:05 AM
Friends of mine were there one night when a big rat fell from the ceiling and landed in Mrs. Friend's french onion soup.
Kinda spoiled the evening, ya know?Guess she just didn't understand French cuisine.

Stranger
06-02-07, 07:03 AM
Chef Geoffrey Michael came to Waco from a gig at the Plaza Hotel in New York where he was discovered by some Waco guys who were hanging out at his dining room in the Big Apple.

They persuaded him to come to Waco and the Water Works was born.

Later he cooked at the Brazos Queen in its heyday.

He has now retired from the restaurant business and lives on a ranch on the banks of the Brazos River north of Waco where he raises horses. He also has a line of spices that are sold in HEB stores statewide. You can find them over at the seafood counter, as well as the spice section. You can also find them at Waco Custom Meats on Lake Air in large bulk sizes.

My personal favorite is Spicet which is an all-purpose seasoning. I use it in everything I cook . . . hamburgers, steak, chicken, fish . . . everything.

His signature dish (made famous at the Plaza, Water Works and the boat) is Shrimp Gabrielle (named after his late daughter). The spices to make this dish are sold as Chef Geoffrey Michael's Gabrielle.

He also sells Cajun Breakdown and Cajun Red under his brand.

Occasionally Geoffrey cooks in the HEB stores around the state to promote his goods.

Geoffrey is one of Waco's most treasured resources.

. . . . and, yeah, I do miss the Water Works, too.

groverbabyBU
06-02-07, 07:46 AM
I went a few times back in the late 90s before it closed.

El Oso
06-02-07, 08:03 AM
I went a few times back in the late 90s before it closed.

I thought the original water works closed and then somebody tried to reopen it as a restaurant/comedy club on the weekends. I went a few times before the new place closed. Then again, I could be thinking of some other place down by the river.

groverbabyBU
06-02-07, 08:07 AM
Maybe so... I remember going a few times, mostly to see a band or a comedian with some friends.

Knight Bear
06-02-07, 10:11 AM
We used to do comedy night and karaoke (sp?) after work sometimes. I remember seeing Rodney Carrington (before he had the pathetic TV show a year or two ago). "Sing you b@stards..."

Also saw the greatness of The Spin there once or twice.

West_Coast_Bear
06-02-07, 10:31 AM
Chef Geoffrey Michael came to Waco from a gig at the Plaza Hotel in New York where he was discovered by some Waco guys who were hanging out at his dining room in the Big Apple.

He has now retired from the restaurant business and lives on a ranch on the banks of the Brazos River north of Waco where he raises horses. He also has a line of spices that are sold in HEB stores statewide. You can find them over at the seafood counter, as well as the spice section. You can also find them at Waco Custom Meats on Lake Air in large bulk sizes.

My personal favorite is Spicet which is an all-purpose seasoning. I use it in everything I cook . . . hamburgers, steak, chicken, fish . . . everything.

His signature dish (made famous at the Plaza, Water Works and the boat) is Shrimp Gabrielle (named after his late daughter). The spices to make this dish are sold as Chef Geoffrey Michael's Gabrielle.

Occasionally Geoffrey cooks in the HEB stores around the state to promote his goods.

Is there a website to buy this stuff?

Stranger
06-02-07, 02:47 PM
Is there a website to buy this stuff?

Dont know of a website . . . but you can order the stuff from:

Chef Geoffrey Michael Products, Inc.
P. O. Box 8114
Waco, Texas 76714-8114

ybbodeus
06-02-07, 04:22 PM
Grant's daughter Tammy worked there, I believe. SMU Coach Ron Meyer allegedly tried to pick her up there one night. I think they were sitting in the train car.

I took the Sotheby's folks there for dinner when they were in town doing the auction of an unnamed music producer's Arabians.

I took dates there quite a bit during the Baylor years.

Our KA formal was there a few times...award night.

Place ROCKED with a live band in there.

Worked next door at Pelican's in '80 (summer). That's where I learned how to prep/cook.

Bankerbear
06-02-07, 06:37 PM
Grant's daughter Tammy worked there, I believe. SMU Coach Ron Meyer allegedly tried to pick her up there one night. I think they were sitting in the train car.

I have heard the story before but heard that Tami was working at Tanglewood Farms or what ever the name was at the time. I heard that after several failed attempts, Meyer said something like "you don't know who I am do you? I am Ron Meyer, the football coach at SMU".

To which Tami replied, " and you don't know who I am do you. I am Tami Teaff and Grant Teaff is my daddy".

so is that where "who's your daddy" started?

and was surprised that no one had mentioned the caboose until now!

Moze
06-02-07, 07:42 PM
I remember it. Great salad bar and steaks.

In the late '70s it was the nicest restaurant in Waco. Took all my "Sing" dates there.

Pecos 45
06-02-07, 07:51 PM
Forget The Water Works. Who's the hottie with the combo plates at Pacheco's?

She's one of the waitresses there. Head over to Pacheco's at lunch and she'll probably be working there.

The Stache
06-02-07, 09:25 PM
I took the Sotheby's folks there for dinner when they were in town doing the auction of an unnamed music producer's Arabians.

ybb, are you referring to Kurt Kaiser?

I played a couple of gigs there in the late 70's. I wasn't actually in the band, but I would go and sit in on tunes when they needed congas or percussion, which was more often than not. One night, a fellow Baptist church member was sitting right in front of the congas, drunk on his a$$; several times, he attempted to reach out and play the congas. I finally told him that I, an actual musician, could play the congas just fine without his intrusion, and gave him the evil eye the rest of the night. To paraphrase Gene Hackman in "Hoosiers"..."your conga playing days are over, pal."

Good memories...:cool:

ybbodeus
06-03-07, 10:11 AM
ybb, are you referring to Kurt Kaiser?

I played a couple of gigs there in the late 70's. I wasn't actually in the band, but I would go and sit in on tunes when they needed congas or percussion, which was more often than not. One night, a fellow Baptist church member was sitting right in front of the congas, drunk on his a$$; several times, he attempted to reach out and play the congas. I finally told him that I, an actual musician, could play the congas just fine without his intrusion, and gave him the evil eye the rest of the night. To paraphrase Gene Hackman in "Hoosiers"..."your conga playing days are over, pal."

Good memories...:cool:

I don't think Kurt ever had enough money to breed Arabian horses....no, I was talking more on the executive level, anyway, as in executive ownership of the music company

ScottS
06-03-07, 10:17 AM
My roommate did some standup there in the late 80s.

perrynative
06-03-07, 08:48 PM
I don't think Kurt ever had enough money to breed Arabian horses....no, I was talking more on the executive level, anyway, as in executive ownership of the music company

mr. j m. actually worked at bentwood for awhile. had a birthday party for a horse as i recall.

Self Made Bear
06-03-07, 09:01 PM
Rodney Carrington's first appearance in Waco was at the Water Works and I was there. He was unknown at that point. In fact he opened for the headliner. Carrington was so damn funny that the next night he was the headliner. I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants.

whitetrash
06-04-07, 09:03 AM

Back in the early 80s, a buddy of mine's cousin was head waiter at WW. Geoffrey had a big catering gig at the Convention Center for a Police Officer's convention banquet on a Saturday night. The restaurant was so booked with reservations that they couldn't spare more than one or two waiters to the catering job, so my buddy rounded up me and a couple of other friends to work as waitstaff at the banquet (only time in my life I ever waited tables). We were promised $5/hr plus a prime rib dinner, so we took the bait.

Five grueling hours later (my job was to serve the green beans), after we loaded all the leftover prime rib, potatoes, beans, etc. back in the catering truck (and left the cops, each of whom brought a bottle in a brown paper bag, to continue to get stinking plastered), we went back to the restaurant, where we timidly reminded Geoffrey that we were promised a prime rib dinner of our own.

He said sure, I forgot, then proceeded to cut each of us a piece of meat, serve up potatoes and beans, and pop the plate in the microwave for 30 seconds.

It was then I learned that dinner out was little different that eating at home.

Pat Neff
06-04-07, 09:58 AM
I remember the lead singer from REO Speedwagon having dinner their one night. He came up and sang a song or two before leaving.

Sadly, I think there were more people that saw him at the Water Works than at their concert.

It was a nice place, a shame it's not still around.

Pecos 45
06-04-07, 10:56 AM

You're speaking of Harold McCracken, si??

Stranger
06-04-07, 11:01 AM
You're speaking of Harold McCracken, si??

I think you meant Gerald.

DONNIE D
06-04-07, 11:17 AM
I started to say Gerard.

StatMan
06-04-07, 11:42 AM
I ate at Water Works with my parents and younger brothers when I was an undergraduate student at Baylor back in the 1980s. :spin:

NoBS-U
06-04-07, 11:52 AM
Coupe de Ville always seemed to be playing there when I went. I always enjoyed going to Water Works and Pelican's in the early 1980's. Wasn't Pelican's the place with the wooden matches? We used to grab boxes of those and have parking lot fights flipping matches lighted at each other.

Have to say that I hit Brazos Landing on Thursdays, the Chelsea Street pub at the mall, Georges, and McCords more than the others. Had a roomie who worked at Mickey's and went there maybe twice. Another roommate worked at the Arabian ranch. Quite the place. They were working with the stallion with the centuries long lineage hung on the wall one time when I visited. Beautiful horse.

ybbodeus
06-04-07, 05:35 PM
Yeah. I worked the Arabian aucution there back in '88. It was somewhat depressing, having gotten to go to a couple of parties at his house when I was at Baylor....one a substitute for the KKG formal (Reynolds was cracking down on out of town formals at the time*), the other I don't even remember what for.

My girlfriend (now my wife) worked for Sotheby's in those days. She got me to meet her there and work the auction....("give these cocktails to the boys in lieu of pay"). I worked Wayne Newton's auction of Arabians, too. That was a WILD auction.....better cocktails and more amazing eye candy. Cocktails were a good pay plan for me in those days. Come to think of it, it's not such a bad one THESE days, either -- not that I'll get their money's worth NOW as much as I could then....which is probably for the best.

* "You better sit on that zoo fraternity of yours!"

marco
07-06-10, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I remember it. Don't have too many memories of the place though. I spent more time at Mickey's.
I worked there when it first opened as a barback. Wild after parties.

WS6bear
07-06-10, 07:40 PM
4x roll unless you owned the power company, then it was 10x.

LoadedForSteele
07-06-10, 08:02 PM
nice place.... 25 cent peel and eat (and drink) simps........

IIRC.

- tio coco

KordovaJD
07-06-10, 09:16 PM
My band used to play there years and years ago. It was always fun to work from that stage knowing some of the other names that had stood there before. I searched and searched for years to Stevie Ray Vaughn's signature, but never could find it.

LoadedForSteele
07-06-10, 09:20 PM
joe silva (he of the ghetto HEB 7-11) used to play there.

he was pretty good. caught him in dallas at froggy bottoms or whatever the jazz / blues place was in the west end many many many years ago..............

- lfs

LoadedForSteele
07-06-10, 09:31 PM
joe silva news:

>>

Home: AccessWaco: Waco life
RSS
Joe Silva returns to Waco for series of shows

By Carl Hoover Tribune-Herald entertainment editor
Thursday February 4, 2010
Bookmark and Share emailEmail printPrint

Many musicians might shrug at getting a standing gig at a hotel compared to one at a nightclub or dance hall, but Waco native and Nashville blues-jazz guitarist Joe Silva would tell you it depends on the hotel.

Silva, back in his hometown this week for a series of shows, plays three to four nights weekly at the Loews’ Vanderbilt Hotel in Nashville, a downtown venue that draws its share of music and show business celebrities and executives.

While many hotel club audiences are anonymous and transient, Silva has counted among his listeners songwriter Paul Williams, country singers Patty Loveless and Johnny Lee, Beyonce’s father Matthew Knowles, Motown songwriter and producer Lamont Dozier and Manhattan School of Music President Robert Sirota.
Joe Silva
Joe Silva

In addition to his weekly Loews gig, Silva also performs in the Nashville area with his Joe Silva Band and his New Blue band. The guitarist participates in Nashville’s Arts in the Airport program and leads music for St. Edwards Catholic Church.

The Waco native, who graduated from McLennan Community College’s commercial music program in the 1980s, left Waco in 1990 for Fort Worth’s jazz and R&B scene, then on to Nashville. He’ll speak to MCC commercial music students at 6 tonight about his experience as a professional musician. His message: There’s no shortcut to hard work.

“I kept being diligent and I kept my nose to the grindstone,” he said.

He’ll also point to the example of another MCC commercial music product and former Joe Silva Band member, rhythm-and-blues singer Ruthie Foster, whose last CD won a Grammy Awards nomination. Silva and his former vocalist still stay in touch and last summer, he toured with her on her Texas dates, including a Brazos Nights concert in Waco.
<<

http://www.wacotrib.com/accesswaco/Joe-Silva-returns-to-Waco-for-series-of-shows.html

cowboycwr
07-07-10, 02:05 AM
I remember that place. I ate there in the late 90's but I think that was it's second run as a restaurant. Then once it closed there was a bar there for a few months but it never did good and closed. I think there have been several other attempts at having a restaurant or bar there over the years but nothing that has stuck around.

Liteitup
07-07-10, 06:26 AM
Nothing about David Zycheck? Or Rusty Weir? Or Steve Fromholtz?

KordovaJD
07-07-10, 07:20 AM
Nothing about David Zycheck? Or Rusty Weir? Or Steve Fromholtz?

I haven't talked to Dave in a while, but as far as I know he's still running Ronnie's studio and playing with the same guys, now calling themselves Dead Heart Beating.

Dave produced a record for my band in 2001. Great guy.

marco
07-07-10, 06:04 PM
I haven't talked to Dave in a while, but as far as I know he's still running Ronnie's studio and playing with the same guys, now calling themselves Dead Heart Beating.

I used to love his new years gigs at the Peppermint Lounge in Temple. He and my buddy Jack McVey played together, then again, their aren't many he hasn't played with.

TheRadvocate
07-07-10, 06:21 PM

wow great read ... i believe i remember the grill cook at scruffy's (Emory) saying he used spicet in the burgers and fries when i was there (early 90's) ... i assumed thats what made them so dam#ed tasty ... that would make sense since i think he said he also worked at water works in the 80's

scruffy's used to have some tasty burgers ... my favorite in town for a while

DS Bear
07-07-10, 07:46 PM
Our KA formal was there a few times...award night.

"I hope my leg don't break,
walkin' on the moon"

Helter Stelter.

The Banterer
07-07-10, 09:30 PM
It was still open in the early 90s, as I have very vague memories of eating there as a young child. I do remember the cabooose though.

Dia_del_DougO
07-07-10, 10:39 PM
Yeah, that was a cool place. I saw the Zycheck band there a few times. They always kicked a$$.

KordovaJD
07-08-10, 07:24 AM
scruffy's used to have some tasty burgers ... my favorite in town for a while

No one believes me when I say this. My brother and I used to go over there for a burger and some NTN trivia. I'll still drop in there from time to time and people laugh when I say I have been going there that long. It doesn't help that I started going there at 14.

Dia_del_DougO
07-08-10, 12:59 PM

And recorded some outstanding NFL parody songs written by a Baylorfans member.

His latest thing has been a Pink Floyd tribute band called Sigmund Floyd.

Chief'sbear
07-08-10, 10:01 PM
I remember both the Water Works and Pelican's Landing. We had a prom dinner at Pelican's Landing. I loved that place. Great shrimp, and it didn't suck like Red Hobster.

notbubbleboy
07-09-10, 08:35 PM
I remember all/most of those places on the river mysteriously being set on fire.

1. The steakhouse (cant think of the name)-fire
2. Pelicans-fire
3. Waterworks-cant remember if there was a fire, but there might as well have been.

4. Then further upstream/downstream on the Brazos you had Brazos landing, home of the weekly Thursday night three for one debacle. Then Mickeys. Next to Mickeys was a cheap hotel that predated those apartments built on the river in the late 80's.

Then across the river from Mickeys was the giant monolithic concrete block containing the local peep show.

A lotta bang for your buck over there.

Chief'sbear
07-12-10, 10:52 AM
I remember all/most of those places on the river mysteriously being set on fire.

1. The steakhouse (cant think of the name)-fire
2. Pelicans-fire
3. Waterworks-cant remember if there was a fire, but there might as well have been.

4. Then further upstream/downstream on the Brazos you had Brazos landing, home of the weekly Thursday night three for one debacle. Then Mickeys. Next to Mickeys was a cheap hotel that predated those apartments built on the river in the late 80's.

Then across the river from Mickeys was the giant monolithic concrete block containing the local peep show.

A lotta bang for your buck over there.

I first saw my wife at the mexican restuarant next to Mickeys. I was sitting there eating my chips and salsa. She walked out of the kitchen with a full tray raised above her head. She looked my way, our eyes met, and she dumped the whole thing. LOL

She said it was the only one she ever dumped.

:lol:

El Oso
07-12-10, 03:17 PM
Waterworks in the late 90s (read 99) or early 00s was reopened--sold to a new owner. I happened to know him so I went to a few of the comedy nights. Stiff drinks and decent appetizers. Never went there for anything other than a show though.