PDA

View Full Version : * *Favorite Night Club Haunts of Your Youth

Assassin
05-30-09, 09:03 AM
Here are the parameters - gotta be a nightclub (no bathhouses BEAR), it can be pre-college, college or post-college. Any other descriptive info would be very cool for a trip down memory lane.

Magic Music, in Waco (around 1969-74 or so) - had two locations, was downtown around 11th (?) before moving across from our store on 25th Street, also had an 'under 18' plus a '18 and over' side. Had a drummer (from the Box Tops?) that played along with the music. Had these tall tables that were actually a board that sat on top of a 55 gallon drum - got turned over easily in a fight. Always smelled funny...

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
05-30-09, 09:06 AM
Outer Limits. I'd describe it, but robby would do a better job.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
05-30-09, 10:29 AM
Sonny T's back when it was in a house.

ScottS
05-30-09, 10:34 AM
Thriller Club. Small place west of 35, maybe on 4th or so. A buddy of mine and I went there on a Friday and there were maybe 10 people there. My buddy asked the bartender, what are the rules here? "No rules" was the response". A month later, they had a band playing outside, with 400 to 500 people surrounding the place. That was a Friday night. Next night, nobody there. This was 87 or 88.

Assassin
05-30-09, 10:37 AM
There used to be club on 18th, maybe close to Herring?? Called Club 18 - went there to see ZZ Tops before they were anybody.

Keyser Soze
05-30-09, 11:06 AM
Outer Limits

Dallas
Video Bar
Acapulco bar
Confetti's
Stark Club
Packards

Keyser Soze
05-30-09, 11:07 AM
Outer Limits

Dallas
Video Bar
Acapulco bar
Confetti's
Stark Club
Packards

Long Live the 80s!!

iconoclast1
05-30-09, 11:41 AM
Magic Music (under 18 side) was the first nightclub I ever went to . . . can't even remember the rest.

Assassin
05-30-09, 11:49 AM
First club I ever worked at was "Buddy Moore's Western Club", second was "Shadows". Buddy's was out on the circle - got hit with a bottle, neck cut up pretty bad - mom didn't like that when I got home. Had to call them up and tell them I was still 17.

"Shadows" was kind of an upscale Magic Music right behind the Burger King on Valley Mills Dr and Lake Air. Owned by the Graham brothers, Terry Graham ran it.

robby44
05-30-09, 01:34 PM
Outer Limits. I'd describe it, but robby would do a better job.

The Outer Limits... slowly I turned...

The Outer Limits was li'l spot where some young men & young women would go to experience their first li'l taste of the nightlife. Funky little spot, some nights it would get so hot in there, lots of sweat. They used to play the coolest music stuff you didn't hear anywhere else, the DJ was awesome. Some nights we would go to Miss Bettie's place and drink tall cans of malt liquor Bull for a dollar and then hit the limits, Whataburger was the after party.
I saw Hakeem Olajuwon and all the Phi Slamma guys in there one night after they had beaten the Bears.

Also used to hang at Magic Music and then 25th Street Theater, The Roxy (i think that was the name. We saw Guy V. Lewis sitting at the bar drinking beer one night after a game) over by river. My group used to hang at a lot frat parties when we weren't at those places.

Dallas:

RJ's By The Lake
The Iguana Mirage
Starck Club
Uptown (called uptown but it was really off of NW Hwy)
Monopoly's
Confetti's
Joi'Z (Arlington)

Assassin: Do you remember Tang-O down on Greenville?

BEAR
05-30-09, 01:41 PM
Mr. Boeaux's B&B Tavern in downtown Vinton, La.
Best river bar in SW Louisiana.
Legal drinking age was 18... but 16 would work if you had the coin.
A frosty cold one was 25cents a draw.
Plenty of hot women & you could always take in a couple of good fights in the parking lot.
Saw my first man get killed in his Oyster Shell lot.
Lots of memories at the old B&B.

BHJ
05-30-09, 01:45 PM
any dancing there BEAR?

pls advise.

- coco

--

and yes OL was fun. perhaps too much fun at times.

- loco

Stranger
05-30-09, 02:44 PM
I grew up in a little west Texas town called Ranger about 85 miles west of Fort Worth. . . . .

. . . . . down below Ranger Hill was those little dens of sin named Mingus and Strawn. . . . .

. . . . in a tribute to their longevity, our favorite club was there in my dad's day back in the thirties, was there for me and my brothers in the sixties and the seventies, and is still there today . . . . the world famous Trio Club in Mingus.

. . . . The Trio was a country honky tonk dating back to the time when Mingus was the only wet precinct between Fort Worth and El Paso. A town of a couple of hundred, the town would swell to 5,000 or more on the weekends as oil field hands and cowboys would travel hundreds of miles to party in Mingus. My other favorite beer joint there was a place called Ma Tibbs. Ma Tibbs burned to the ground twenty years or so ago. I am proud to say I bought a juke box out of that place which is still in my possession.

. . . . . the legend about the Texas Rangers "one riot, one Ranger" took place between Mingus and Thurber (which is located one mile away in a "dry" precinct). The Italian immigrant miners in the Thurber coal mines went out on strike and got liquored up over in Mingus and a riot erupted. The city fathers called the Texas Rangers to come quell the riot. When the local law met the train, one Ranger got off. They asked why just one Ranger was sent. He answered, "you've got just one riot, don't you?"

. . . . . anyway, it was a pretty rough place. I saw lots of fights. Never saw a killing but you'd hear about one every now and then. One thing you didn't do was mess with any of the local Italian girls. The locals were pretty protective of them. My Dad said a friend of his in high school started fooling around with a local girl at the Trio and some local guys threw him in front of a train one night. rough place.

. . . . .In Strawn (three miles to the west) there were two great clubs, Vernon's Dine and Dance and Andy's Club. Both great country dance halls. In high schooll, I got to see Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadours, Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys, Johnny Bush, Charlie Pride all at Vernon's. Most every country star made their way to Strawn sooner or later.

. . . . In addition, Strawn was home two great chicken fried steak cafes. The original was Flossies Cafe (aka, the Strawn Country Club) and Mary's. There both still there but Mary's seems to be drawing the big crowds these days.

. . . . There was a great family style Italian place in Mingus called Lenzini's. You had to call ahead at least a day and tell Mrs. Lenzini you were coming. You couldn't just walk in and get served, otherwise.

. . . The Trio Club is still going . . . they have matinee dances on Sunday afternoon once a month or so. Saturday night at the Trio is still happening but not the huge crowds anymore.

-the Stranger from Ranger

Bankerbear
05-30-09, 02:57 PM
I grew up in the Wichita Falls area --- Kickapoo Kantico (previously a bowling alley) was a great place --- live music --- with the local band Front Street Warehouse being the best! They covered everything from Allman Brothers to Jethro Tull and Chicago to Santana.

On occasion a national or regional band would appear -- but the only one I remember was Trapezee ---

great times!

Assassin
05-30-09, 03:09 PM
Dallas: RJ's By The Lake, The Iguana Mirage, Starck Club, Uptown (called uptown but it was really off of NW Hwy), Monopoly's, Confetti's, Joi'Z (Arlington)

Assassin: Do you remember Tang-O down on Greenville?

Not as Tang-O, where was it located? Another name perhaps?

BTW - I worked at three of the other clubs you named. RJ's by the Lake went under another name, something to do with Bachman (filled in as DJ a few times), Iguana Mirage was the former Papagayos - we built it in 1978, opened in '79 I think (bouncer, then Manager) and Confetti's was the former Cowboy (bouncer).

I also worked at DaVinci's (Greenville down the hill from Walnut Hill) and Playboy Club (Yale and Central).

BTW - how bout the predecessor to Tiajuana Yacht Club, Elans, a great backgammon club, Bellringer, Beggars or my favorite on moving to Dallas, #3 Lift. Feathers was pretty hot for a while - neat club up in the Hilton on 75 & Mockingbird (Trader Vics was on the bottom).

robby44
05-30-09, 03:56 PM
Not as Tang-O, where was it located? Another name perhaps?

BTW - I worked at three of the other clubs you named. RJ's by the Lake went under another name, something to do with Bachman (filled in as DJ a few times), Iguana Mirage was the former Papagayos - we built it in 1978, opened in '79 I think (bouncer, then Manager) and Confetti's was the former Cowboy (bouncer).

I also worked at DaVinci's (Greenville down the hill from Walnut Hill) and Playboy Club (Yale and Central).

BTW - how bout the predecessor to Tiajuana Yacht Club (blanking on the name right now, but a great backgammon club - my bud Rolf worked the door there), Bellringer, Beggars or my favorite on moving to Dallas, #3 Lift. Feathers was pretty hot for a while - neat club up in the Hilton on 75 & Mockingbird (Trader Vics was on the bottom).

It was only Tang-0 for awhile, that place that had the dancing frogs on top of the building on Lower Greenville.

CANMOMBear
05-30-09, 04:16 PM
Nothing from Houston so far, so I'll offer Waves and Boardwalk Beach Club from the 80s. There were others, but can't remember them right now. Oh... and Marfreless, in River Oaks!

Assassin
05-30-09, 04:36 PM
Houston - Sportspage from the early 70's.

bobo
06-01-09, 08:01 AM
Thriller Club. Small place west of 35, maybe on 4th or so. A buddy of mine and I went there on a Friday and there were maybe 10 people there. My buddy asked the bartender, what are the rules here? "No rules" was the response". A month later, they had a band playing outside, with 400 to 500 people surrounding the place. That was a Friday night. Next night, nobody there. This was 87 or 88.

Wow. I thought me and my boys were the only Baylor folks to venture to Thriller.

25th Street.

Arcadia in Dallas

Carrot Club in Tulsa

Red Fern in Austin

Village Station in Dallas.

Assassin
06-01-09, 08:05 AM
Dallas City Limits - just north of Lovers on Greenville.

Assassin
06-01-09, 08:09 AM
. . . . .In Strawn (three miles to the west) there were two great clubs, Vernon's Dine and Dance and Andy's Club. Both great country dance halls. In high schooll, I got to see Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadours, Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys, Johnny Bush, Charlie Pride all at Vernon's. Most every country star made their way to Strawn sooner or later.

-the Stranger from Ranger

Good stuff Stranger - I worked with Charley Pride when I was working at the Playboy Club in Dallas. Really, really nice guy. Sold cars with Ray Price's nephew.

BearTooth
06-01-09, 08:38 AM
Mothers

Cheap, cold pitchers

It was bought by a sorority and turned into a meeting house in the early 1980's

REvansBU71
06-01-09, 12:14 PM
Yeah, used to play bass in two bands (PowerHouse & Edison Expansion) and a battle of the bands at the 25th street club was weird.....I had to play in both groups. Great place in the early 70's though.

ragamuffin
06-01-09, 01:03 PM
What makes a place a nightclub rather than a bar?

Chamberman
06-01-09, 01:09 PM
Lot's of places on 6th Street in Austin.

J.R.
06-01-09, 01:11 PM
It was only Tang-0 for awhile, that place that had the dancing frogs on top of the building on Lower Greenville.
Dance Floor was a boxing ring.

J.R.
06-01-09, 01:19 PM
Dallas:
Studio D - $10 to anyone who knows this one
Stark Club - 84-86 (good ole days)Try looking like Robert Smith at BU in summer school
Old Plantation (to aquire necessary gear for above)
Video Bar
Theater Gallery
Club Clearview (original Location)
Mistral (Mon. and Tues)
State Bar

ncbear2
06-01-09, 01:32 PM
Les's Three Oaks

Outer Limits

In Jackson, Miss--CS's across from Milsapps College and Sid's Cherokee Lounge

In Memphis, Alex's

In Raleigh, N.C.--Player's Retreat

In Fort Worth--Oui Lounge

King Tut
06-01-09, 01:43 PM
Mother Blues on Lemmon Av. in Dallas in the late 70's. The Electric Ballroom, also, for loud live music. The Old Church near McKinney Av. in Dallas for drink specials.

In Waco it was George's or Mother's for cerveza-related entertainment.

robby44
06-01-09, 03:55 PM
Dallas:
Studio D - $10 to anyone who knows this one
Stark Club - 84-86 (good ole days)Try looking like Robert Smith at BU in summer school
Old Plantation (to aquire necessary gear for above)
Video Bar
Theater Gallery
Club Clearview (original Location)
Mistral (Mon. and Tues)
State Bar
Mistral - was that the one that was in the Anatole?

What makes a place a nightclub rather than a bar?
Nightclub is going to have a large dance floor and a dj playing music non-stop.

BearMom
06-01-09, 04:15 PM
Nothing from Houston so far, so I'll offer Waves and Boardwalk Beach Club from the 80s. There were others, but can't remember them right now. Oh... and Marfreless, in River Oaks!

Marfeless (sp?)...BearDad and I made out there...er, stopped in for a glass of wine one night.

Boardwalk! On Washington?! OMG....favorite place ever in the 80s.

There were a bunch of places on Richmond...and another behind the Galleria. Waves...was that the one on St. James?

HMMMM...life before kids. :blush:

Assassin
06-01-09, 05:51 PM
Points to anyone who remembers the predecessor to the Lizard Lounge (same location) circa 1990-91.

J.R.
06-01-09, 06:33 PM
Points to anyone who remembers the predecessor to the Lizard Lounge (same location) circa 1990-91.
Empire, Dawg!

robby44
06-01-09, 08:10 PM

Had a great time at the Lounge shortly after it opened. Lots of loose babes wired on X in that place.

perrynative
06-01-09, 08:26 PM
Walker's Auditorium

Stranger
06-01-09, 09:33 PM
Walker's Auditorium

. . . . . ahh, yes. Saw Sam & Dave, Clarence Carter . . . . even went to a skinny legs contest with Joe Tex. Aretha played there, as did Otis Redding. Kinda like a scene from Animal House with the white folks on one side of the room and the brothers on the other. Everybody was on the dance floor, though.

. . . . place burned down. . . . . oh, yeah, and cold Pearl Beer. Great fun.

ghost dog
06-01-09, 09:38 PM
what age limit do you consider youth??

my cousin and i just got tossed outta Sky Bar in Houston last Thursday, does that count??

it was great fun other than that...

i can hardly remember most of the great night club haunts in my youth...too drunk when i really hit the night club scene to remember much...

i think i've had more night club fun in the last year than in my 20s...

lemme see- The Palace in West LA.
I cannot remember the name of it- but it was in Richmond Virginia in the Flood Zone.
The River Front- Trier Germany
Discoteque Metropolis- ParisFrance- New Year's Eve 1999
Axis- Radius, Scottsdale
Some Biker Bar in Luxemborg City...
another bar i cannot remember the name- San Sebastian Spain.

more recent- The Drake in Houston shortly after it first opened when it was hot...
El Pueblo- San Jose Costa Rica...great clubbing in that place...- probably one of the tops i've been to..it was club after club after club. GREAT Dj's hot chicks...
Frogg Leggs- Barranquilla Colombia

Assassin
06-02-09, 07:09 AM

Robby, thought for sure you'd get this one - The Gold Club.

Assassin
06-02-09, 07:10 AM
Walker's Auditorium

Why does that sound familiar? Where?

Stranger
06-02-09, 07:37 AM
Why does that sound familiar? Where?

Walker's was on Clifton Street. From town you drove out Waco Drive toward Bellmead. . . . . You turned left at the Jack Frost Cleaners (there's some other business in that building today) onto Clifton. Walker's was about a quarter of a mile down on the right. It was a jammin' place when I got to Baylor in 1967. Every big name soul group in America played there at one time or anotherj. (I mentioned it three or four posts before this).

The place burned down in the early seventies, I think.

Assassin
06-02-09, 07:44 AM
Walker's was on Clifton Street. From town you drove out Waco Drive toward Bellmead. . . . . You turned left at the Jack Frost Cleaners (there's some other business in that building today) onto Clifton. Walker's was about a quarter of a mile down on the right. It was a jammin' place when I got to Baylor in 1967. Every big name soul group in America played there at one time or anotherj. (I mentioned it three or four posts before this). The place burned down in the early seventies, I think.

That's right - I used to hear promos on KBGO, 1580 'when you're hearing things'.

J.R.
06-02-09, 08:09 AM
Robby, thought for sure you'd get this one - The Gold Club.
Are you sure it wasn't the Empire Club? 1988 or so?

Assassin
06-02-09, 09:29 AM
Are you sure it wasn't the Empire Club? 1988 or so?

I was overseas then. But when I was working there, 90-91, it was the Gold Club.

J.R.
06-02-09, 09:39 AM
I was overseas then. But when I was working there, 90-91, it was the Gold Club.
I believe it was. Not too many underground/punk/goth type spots got by me back in the day.

REvansBU71
06-02-09, 06:02 PM
Walker's was on Clifton Street. From town you drove out Waco Drive toward Bellmead. . . . . You turned left at the Jack Frost Cleaners (there's some other business in that building today) onto Clifton. Walker's was about a quarter of a mile down on the right. It was a jammin' place when I got to Baylor in 1967. Every big name soul group in America played there at one time or anotherj. (I mentioned it three or four posts before this).

The place burned down in the early seventies, I think.

It was there in 1970 because I played blue-eyed R&B there....don't know about '71 though.

AdamKaye321
06-02-09, 07:16 PM
In Houston more than 10 years ago, how about Nightmoves, just off of I-45 North? We used to go there all the time. One side was country, one side was hip-hop/rap. Ah, those were the days.

Also, it wasn't that long ago, but what about BAR Houston? Free beer and wine happy hours on Saturday nights.....oh man.

Assassin
06-02-09, 08:29 PM
More Dallas spots - at the 5 corners of Park, Twin Hills and Greenville, the Railhead (used to go see old buddy Billy Tillman there all the time) - caty-cornered across from Le Jardin.

And right before the built LBJ, right around Preston somewhere, Oz. They shot the Sex Shops scenes in Logans Run there.

GoBearsGo
06-03-09, 09:54 AM
In highschool we would go to DV8/Metropolis, saw Vanilla Ice there before he was big. First time I was drunk was off Boone's there when I was 16. Good times.

J.R.
06-03-09, 10:03 AM
More Dallas spots - at the 5 corners of Park, Twin Hills and Greenville, the Railhead (used to go see old buddy Billy Tillman there all the time) - caty-cornered across from Le Jardin.

And right before the built LBJ, right around Preston somewhere, Oz. They shot the Sex Shops scenes in Logans Run there.
Who was the other guy who played the Railhead alot.... Something about tomatoes... I went a few times in high school with the ole fake ID.

LIB,MR BEARS
06-03-09, 02:43 PM
81-84
Outer Limits
Magic Music

There was a little club on Waco Dr (close to where Circuit City and Linens and Things closed) in the middle of a hotel. It had chalk board walls all round. I think it went by the name confetti but I could be wrong. Small, FUN place.

A place on Valley Mills close to Broken Promise. A guy from Longview bought it and opened it up as a live venue for his son's band. The band and the club had the same name. They'd get other bands to play while the kids band was on the road. It would be overflow from Broken Promise one night, a biker bar the next and full of Baylor kids the next night. heard some great music there. Somebody give me the name of the club.

Ol Waco Ag
06-03-09, 03:05 PM
Booters Broken Promise
Mickey's
George's back when a Big O was still .85

BHJ
06-03-09, 03:33 PM
rectums had a tapas bar.........

w/ some live asian lite jazz fusion group on thurs - sun nites.

shame rectums closed.

- kkm

stovepipe
06-03-09, 03:41 PM
biggest fish: Cardi`s (220lb nurse)

prettiest fish: Sam`s del Norte (6ft nurse)

most fish: Randy`s (countless schoolies)

attacked by a maneating milfish: The Ocean Club (where the current runs deep!)

fending off potlickers: Cowboy (hardhead red-necks)

best honey hole: Pappasitos on Richmond (Sunday afternoon fish tacos)

best "on-site" blowfish: Texas Steak Ranch (catch and release only)

Assassin
06-04-09, 12:59 PM
Who was the other guy who played the Railhead alot.... Something about tomatoes... I went a few times in high school with the ole fake ID.

I think I know who you mean but I'm blanking to. Guess we'll have to stick with ... Bowley and Wilson!!

Assassin
06-04-09, 01:03 PM

Forgot about that one - The same guy owns the Ocean Club and a club in Dallas. The Ocean Club aka Vertigo (in other times) used to be in Dallas, it was just off Arapaho and the Tollway (Deion Sanders bought it a few years ago). The fellow that owned it took the neon, glasses, napkins and all and moved them to Houston.

Assassin
06-04-09, 01:10 PM
I was at BU in the mid-70s and there was a club just off campus, really simple cinderblock building with foosball tables and a bar. Anybody remember the name?

Assassin
06-04-09, 01:13 PM
Oh - guess you damn near have to throw in the original Papa Rollo's which was a much a beer drinking establishment as a pizza parlor. Definitely more fights than Pizza Inn.

Located conveniently in the "Golden Triangle".

robby44
06-04-09, 02:04 PM

We turned the Ocean Club into BU headquarters when we were down there for the 86 Bluebonnet Bowl. I think we hit that spot maybe 3 nights in row.

perrynative
06-05-09, 06:51 AM
. . . . . ahh, yes. Saw Sam & Dave, Clarence Carter . . . . even went to a skinny legs contest with Joe Tex. Aretha played there, as did Otis Redding. Kinda like a scene from Animal House with the white folks on one side of the room and the brothers on the other. Everybody was on the dance floor, though.

. . . . place burned down. . . . . oh, yeah, and cold Pearl Beer. Great fun.

can we dance with yo dates?

BearTooth
06-05-09, 08:54 AM
I was at BU in the mid-70s and there was a club just off campus, really simple cinderblock building with foosball tables and a bar. Anybody remember the name?

Sounds like Mothers

Edit: The back room at Rollo's was great.

J.R.
06-05-09, 11:01 AM
I think I know who you mean but I'm blanking to. Guess we'll have to stick with ... Bowley and Wilson!!
Ah, yes. One of my best friends dad's owned Bowley and Wilsons. Started going there as a senior in high school....good time.