PDA

View Full Version : Are you familiar with the term Thee University?

Baylor3216
07-09-10, 09:29 PM
I've heard this used to be a more prominently used reference to Baylor. When I was on campus, I don't recall it ever used.

D. C. Bear
07-09-10, 09:39 PM
I've heard this used to be a more prominently used reference to Baylor. When I was on campus, I don't recall it ever used.

Yes, I was told that it was designed to mock UT's arrogance, whose PR folks wanted to call themselves "The University."

marco
07-09-10, 11:06 PM
It failed.

iconoclast1
07-09-10, 11:15 PM
It failed.

Not really. Quite a few thee university window decals, etc., were sold in the past.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
07-09-10, 11:17 PM
Back in the 80s, UT people used to take their car window decals that said "The University of Texas" and cut them down to just "The University" in UT's font and burnt orange. Baylor's bookstore began selling window decals in Baylor's green font saying "Thee University."

Similar to how people called Baylor "Jerusalem on the Brazos," so we started calling UT "Sodom on the Colorado."

Pale Rider
07-09-10, 11:22 PM
Not really. Quite a few thee university window decals, etc., were sold in the past.

I had one and displayed it proudly on the back window of my auto all through the 70's.

robby44
07-09-10, 11:24 PM
I had a bumper sticker with "Thee University" on it.

Marlin
07-10-10, 07:53 AM
In the 80's on campus "Thee University" was probably the most prominent bumper sticker you would see on student cars.

jumpinjoe
07-10-10, 08:38 AM
Yes, I had a window sticker on my back window proudly displaying Thee University in Green and Gold.

One mighty football player on campus during this time, a hall of famer, in later years adopted this window decal as his Moniker on this board, and now is seldom heard from but was very vocal during the Steele and Morriss years of football about getting respectibility in the football team and may have lobbied for the hiring of Mike Singletary for coach. He is quietly waiting on the side hoping that Briles will bring the team back. If not, he will most likely become vocal again.

GoodGodAlmighty
07-10-10, 09:24 AM
Yes, I had a window sticker on my back window proudly displaying Thee University in Green and Gold.

One mighty football player on campus during this time, a hall of famer, in later years adopted this window decal as his Moniker on this board, and now is seldom heard from but was very vocal during the Steele and Morriss years of football about getting respectibility in the football team and may have lobbied for the hiring of Mike Singletary for coach. He is quietly waiting on the side hoping that Briles will bring the team back. If not, he will most likely become vocal again.

Great guy but not a HOF'er.

Just the facts .

curtpenn
07-10-10, 09:34 AM
We most definitely had Green % Gold Script "Thee University" decals available in the campus bookstore in the early '70's. By the way, what ever happened to true decals that you had to wet first then slide off onto the glass?

ScottS
07-10-10, 09:35 AM
I am familiar with it. He used to post on this site.

Barely a prof
07-10-10, 12:08 PM
I can remember a youth minister having "Thee University" sticker on his car as far back as late 60's. Never considered it then a mocking of UT and "The University [of Texas]".

Rather, we saw it as a self-kind of mocking of Baylor, Baptists, and the old King James language of "Thee, Thou, Thuseth . . . ."

quash
07-10-10, 02:07 PM
mid to late 70's, always took it to counter The U.

D. C. Bear
07-10-10, 02:19 PM
I can remember a youth minister having "Thee University" sticker on his car as far back as late 60's. Never considered it then a mocking of UT and "The University [of Texas]".

Rather, we saw it as a self-kind of mocking of Baylor, Baptists, and the old King James language of "Thee, Thou, Thuseth . . . ."

My source for it being mocking UT's arrogance was a Baylor prof who has since passed on, so I can't offer any additional details, but supposedly there was, at some time in the 1960s, a move by UT public relations folks to have Texas always be called "The University," and that's where Baylor got "Thee University," as a way to poke fun at them, and remind them who was here first, too.

Moze
07-10-10, 02:20 PM
All are correct. UT had a sticker that said:

Texas
The University.

We countered with :

Baylor
Thee University

It was clever. I had a sticker myself.

Hornfan
07-10-10, 02:37 PM
I thought is was pretty cool, myself.

Friscobear
07-10-10, 02:53 PM
I had one on my car in the mid 80's.

Pale Rider
07-10-10, 02:53 PM
Rather, we saw it as a self-kind of mocking of Baylor, Baptists, and the old King James language of "Thee, Thou, Thuseth . . . ."I nor anyone I knew saw it that way at all.

We saw it as a counter to "The University (of Texas).

and we believed it was indeed the "higher Thee;" over Texas that is and signifying Baylor's Christian identity!

Huggy Bear
07-10-10, 10:44 PM
I remember it well -- quite clever.

Not that it matters, but that kind of label would really freak out the Pac-16ers today.

Pale Rider
07-10-10, 10:48 PM
mid to late 70's, always took it to counter The U.

1969-1973; Exactly!

REvansBU71
07-11-10, 08:52 AM
Had one, and they were ever-whur.