PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Issues

Eric
12-06-02, 03:33 PM
In case you haven't noticed, we've had to take off some nice little features on the message boards because of a recent bandwidth problem. The user listings for who's online is gone as well as avatars(the little pictures under people's names) and attachments. These were both taking up quite a bit of bandwidth so we've cut those out in attempts to get it a little under control. Hopefully this will just be a temporary measure until we get this coach hired and things settle down a bit.

To give you an idea, we used to average around 1-1.5 gigabytes a day. Then in football season it would be about 1.5-2 gigs. In the past month however it got up to 3 gigs a day, then 4 gigs, and just yesterday it was almost 5 gigs! We had around 170,000 pageviews which is a record. Thank-you fans for making us so big but it's also a bit of a problem at the same time;) It's a good problem to have I guess.

If you don't know what bandwidth is, it's data transfer. Everytime you load a page, however big it is, that transfer amount is the bandwidth. A typical html page may be 50k. To give you an idea of how much 5 gigabytes of data transfer is, on a 56k modem with an awesome connection it'd take you 12 straight days of downloading at 5k/second to transfer 5 gigs. On a good broadband connection of 75k/sec it'd take you about a full day of nothing but downloading. A typical DVD is 4.7 gigs and that's what BaylorFans.com transferred yesterday:)

We're alloted 35 gigs a month and its $3 for each gig we go over which can get expensive real quick. We've already transferred almost 17 gigs this month after just 5 days and at this rate we'll be at 100 gigs for December. I'm hoping it won't get that high because I expect us to hire the coach next week sometime plus we've got the Christmas holidays coming up so things should die down somewhat.

Long story short, if you'd like to help with the costs, we've got some great people that are already sponsoring us. You can join them too and help us out by going here:

http://www.baylorfans.com/sponsor.php

Thanks!