PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants' Umenyiora says "Bob Griffin" hasn't earned the nickname RG3....

BUBig12Sports
07-25-12, 07:01 PM
This should be fun and of course RG3 handled it with class. But - I have a feeling our fan base might be a bit more flamboyant with their comebacks. I guess a Heisman Trophy winner doesn't warrant a nickname? Osi is known for his smack talk and of course he's doing this for publicity but it should be a fun battle when the Redskins face the Giants. And now our Baylor alum Cowboys fans have even more reason to hate the Giants.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/rgiii-bob-griffin-until-earns-nickname-says-osi-184915981--nfl.html

Robert Griffin III, the man most recently scheduled to be the Redskins' savior, has a nickname — it's RGIII. You know this. But even though he has a nickname, according to Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, it doesn't mean he's earned that nickname.

Until he accomplishes something in the NFL (does an ESPY mean nothing to Osi Umenyiora?), Osi says RGIII is just plain ol' Bob Griffin. Here's Osi's breakdown, which he delivered on WFAN on Tuesday. Via the New York Post:
"Who is this RG3 guy you guys keep talking about?'' Umenyiora said. "You talking about Bob Griffin? You guys are giving him a cool nickname already and everything. When he does anything in the NFL we're gonna call him RG3. Right now he's Bob Griffin.''

Griffin responded briefly following the Redskins' practice today.
"One of my coaches at Baylor called me Bob. Nobody really calls me Bob … [Osi] doesn't have to call me RG3 at all.''

For some reason, I find the idea of Robert Griffin III being "Bob Griffin" hilarious. Maybe it's because "RGIII" invokes such an athletic, sleek, new-age image. It fits his skill set, athleticism and promise of a better future. RGIII is this.
"Bob Griffin," on the other hand, is this guy. Or it's this guy. Or it's a guy buying a gigantic bag of chicken feed at the local farm supply store. Bob Griffin is nearly the opposite of RGIII.

I'm not pro- or anti-RGIII as a nickname. It's not the most creative thing in the world, and I feel like we've become too accepting of vanilla, initial-based nicknames. That said, though, it does work. The sports nickname landscape is so barren that I'm happy to have it.

If I happened to be a Giants, Cowboys or Eagles fan, though, I'd jump all over "Bob Griffin." If you're a rival to the Redskins, Osi Umenyiora's given you a gift. I'm sure RGIII won't take offense (or at least, will claim that in public), but we know the disrespect intended. Osi is absolutely trying to knock the man down a peg here.

And if you're a Redskins fan, it's good news for you, too. People now at least think enough of you to include you in NFC East trash-talking. It seems like it's only gone back and forth between the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys the last few years. Bob Griffin has at least gotten you invited to the party.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnOU6riKdhgfmnpUL1-J_KNXAjmfqLuEjPQMCFq-6pL4wMqkqqWg

WarBU
07-25-12, 07:23 PM
Strange & confusing take BUB

bugramps
07-25-12, 07:55 PM
It's part of the NFL. He's RG3 to us for good reason. He'll of course need to earn his reputation in the NFL. Surprised it took this long for the trash talk to start.

Baylor3216
07-25-12, 08:40 PM
His heisman is bigger than osi's

As Churchill said, victory is never final. Ya gotta win it every day and rg3 has to earn it all over again. It's what drives successful people.

You do not want to piss off Bob Griffin.

EGbear
07-25-12, 08:44 PM
Sounds like good fun between the two. No big deal. Pretty cool that Super Bowl champions are taking notice of RG3.

tommie
07-25-12, 08:57 PM
funny

Baylor3216
07-25-12, 09:03 PM
Adidas ought to turn this in to a "how bob griffin turns into rg3" commercial

robby44
07-25-12, 09:48 PM
Man I hope he clowns the G men.

Baylor3216
07-25-12, 09:57 PM
As a giants fan I'll have to root for rg3

Grandpaw
07-25-12, 10:44 PM
Bob Griffin... I like it. Maybe it will stick?

Brixius89
07-25-12, 11:00 PM
I have just coined Griffin's new NFL nickname: Bobby-G.

(joke BTW)

marco
07-25-12, 11:39 PM
Haha, Bobby G, RG3, whatevs, funny ****. I love me some Rob!

krock4487
07-25-12, 11:52 PM
funny stuff

bubareman
07-26-12, 06:07 AM
Adidas ought to turn this in to a "how bob griffin turns into rg3" commercial
Yeah, they could do a play on Superman. Bob Griffin in street clothes and nerdy glasses changing to RG3 when he puts on football uniform.

Oso de htown
07-26-12, 07:01 AM
Here's an article mentioning this and how RGIII is playing the pressure in stride:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/story/2012-07-25/Robert-griffin-redskins/56491334/1

Mr Tulip
07-26-12, 08:39 AM
Even before he had a list of accomplishments, he was RG3. "Robert Griffin the Third" is just too much to type - especially when it comes up all the time.

He's just mad because no one can spell Umenyiora.

WAC_K_O BEAR
07-26-12, 08:41 AM
You've gotta love the NFC East. There isn't a better, more entertaining division in all of football.

Noghri
07-26-12, 09:21 AM
That is great.
Welcome to the league

El Mariachi
07-26-12, 09:23 AM
Yeah, they could do a play on Superman. Bob Griffin in street clothes and nerdy glasses changing to RG3 when he puts on football uniform.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

billytheskink
07-26-12, 09:30 AM
I kinda like it, not many Bobs in professional sports these days, or in the population under age 40 for that matter.

Useful Idiot
07-26-12, 09:39 AM
And now our Baylor alum Cowboys fans have even more reason to hate the Giants.

Not possible to hate the Giants any more than I already do.

WS6bear
07-26-12, 09:42 AM
Id prefer two super bowl rings over a Heisman.
His heisman is bigger than osi's

As Churchill said, victory is never final. Ya gotta win it every day and rg3 has to earn it all over again. It's what drives successful people.

You do not want to piss off Bob Griffin.

WAC_K_O BEAR
07-26-12, 09:52 AM
Cowboys fans that are true Cowboys fans wouldn't be offended by what Osi said about RG3. Now, if he had said something about Romo...that would be different.

I don't care what Giants say about Redskins.

TechDawgMc
07-26-12, 09:59 AM
Bob Griffin was the sports guy on the Shreveport CBS affiliate for decades. Very non-athletic, wore a bow-tie a lot. Was actually a pretty good sportscaster, but almost the antonym of RG3. It'd never work for me.

Jack Bauer
07-26-12, 10:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4

WS6bear
07-26-12, 11:59 AM
Exactly. I don't care about RG3 and his rivalry with the Giants. Never going to root for the skins
Cowboys fans that are true Cowboys fans wouldn't be offended by what Osi said about RG3. Now, if he had said something about Romo...that would be different.

I don't care what Giants say about Redskins.

Robo98564
07-26-12, 06:15 PM
Id prefer two super bowl rings over a Heisman.

He'll get his, don't worry...

New Fite
07-26-12, 06:52 PM
It's RGIII.

baylorbearmike
07-27-12, 04:28 AM
What a douche

BrooksBearLives
07-27-12, 10:26 AM
Man I hope he clowns the G men.

The Redskins clowned them last year WITHOUT BobG3. I think it's funny he's talking smack when he doesn't even have "scoreboard."

GoBearsGo
07-27-12, 10:36 AM
I hope RG3 wins 14 games a year and loses to the Cowboys in the NFC championship game each year.

SPANKitSLAPit
07-27-12, 10:58 AM
I hope RG3 wins 14 games a year and loses to the Cowboys in the NFC championship game each year.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7cf18mBTs1rtvr0ko3_400.gif

ValpoCory
07-27-12, 01:34 PM
On Inside Baylor Sports, John Morris regularly called him Rob Griffin.

ValpoCory
07-27-12, 01:35 PM

The Cowboys would likely have to win 3 road playoffs games to make that happen, unless you are expecting the first ever 14 win Wild Card team.

That's a little like figuring out how to go 20-0 in an NFL season on a video game.

WAC_K_O BEAR
07-27-12, 01:38 PM
On Inside Baylor Sports, John Morris regularly called him Rob Griffin.

Do we really want to use John Morris as a benchmark for accuracy?

WS6bear
07-27-12, 01:38 PM
or dallas could go 16-0?

ValpoCory
07-27-12, 01:42 PM

My intent was to poke fun at John Morris.

ValpoCory
07-27-12, 01:43 PM
or dallas could go 16-0?

How awesome would those Redskins-Cowboys games be. Must see TV.

REvansBU71
07-27-12, 08:28 PM

Thank you.

Silvertip
07-27-12, 08:37 PM
Funny coming from Oh I See Manure A.

Dusty Bear
07-27-12, 08:46 PM
Bob Griffin has a nice ring to it. That's a nice nickname in itself. Who else than RG3 to turn this one into a positive.

Thanks Osi!