PDA

View Full Version : Wish I was at Scruffy's today...

shocker
03-17-03, 07:31 AM
ROLL CALL...

Due to being in DC I won't make it for St. Patty's Day at Scruff's, who will be there? X-factor will, I know that.

El Cid
03-17-03, 07:33 AM
Are you high on crack?

Go to Kelly's Irish Times by Union Station.

If you even think Scruffy's can hang with that, you're nuts.

7yrbear
03-17-03, 07:48 AM
I will prolly be wasted somewhere like the likes of Scruffs.

shocker
03-17-03, 08:58 AM
EL Cid,

Thanks for the advice, and I haven't been high on crack since after the UNLV game a few years ago. Union Station is not too far from home for me up here, that will work well. Salut!

The "X" Factor
03-17-03, 08:59 AM
No Shocker,

I will not be traveling down to Waco to make the legendary Scruffy's bash.

I'm all partyied out from the weekend and will probably just have a couple of Guiness's by myself.

But today does remind me of the time 2 years ago when we headed to Scruff's at 10 in the morning and they let us in and we started drinking the dark stuff early that day. Or the time when we went to Dublin 3 years ago, but you bailed at the last minute. A classical Shocker move!

shocker
03-17-03, 09:04 AM
Truth be known X-Factor...I was afraid of Ryan Air 3 years ago! You should know that right now Shocker's little brother is in Dublin for St. Patty's day, I just received a drunken phone message from him!

2 years ago was infamous as we could not convince ausbear, BU34 or even "the man with two middle names" to go with us. As always...it was left up to shocker and X-factor to keep it real in Waco. Sadly, we were the only ones at Scruff's at that hour....except for the mighty Quinn who was waiting for Cub Bear!!!

BaylorBabe
03-17-03, 09:11 AM
Scruffy's on St. Pat's day was SO fun.

Now I have a grown up job and class tonite, so I don't get to go out at all!

Real life stinks. Stay in college as long as you can :)

El Cid
03-17-03, 09:13 AM
Shocker,

DC is just about the drinkenest town I ever lived, but you've gotta shake a few trees to find the right crowd. Having a metro around makes it right nice as well.

Kelly's Irish Times is really cool on the 4th of July as well, all the elder Irish-Americans(some straight off the boat) gather there to sing and drink. They were always really nice to hang with while I was there, if you can keep up with their intake. Toss back a Jameson or Aberlour for me.

There is a 'Champps' Sports Bar that is off in an alley off Wisconsin(or M, but close to the intersection) that always gets going on Thursdays, there will be plenty of cute femmes there and it gets going round 10.

I frequented the Hawk and Dove, and Bullfeathers quite a bit, but that's b/c drinks were paid for by someone else.

Get connected with the BU alumni club in DC, they're well organized and the events are always worth the time.

There are puh-lenty of cute girls working on capitol hill, and if you can build a network of friends who have invites to the after work happy hours that follow the Hart/Rayburn/Longworth office bldgs, you'll have all the social life in that town you'll need.

shocker
03-17-03, 09:17 AM
EL Cid,

Thanks for the advice again, I have been to the Hawk & Dove, that place is pretty great. The Champs Sports Bar on Pentagon Row is where the Baylor alums meet, however, no one but me showed up on the night they advertised on-line. Pretty depressing when you get stood up by your own school!

There are nothing but cute ladies over on Wisconsin and M, walking around there is like walking across campus in Waco!

I am lucky enough to have a few friends who work in Commerce and a few on the hill, you're right those people party a lot, wish I had the time...or the tolerance anymore!

Any idea on the street for Kelly's?

The "X" Factor
03-17-03, 09:20 AM
Ahhh Ryan Air the "Official airline of the IRA-The Catholics simply know how to travel!"

We could never pry Ausbear or BU34 off that couch of yours. It's too bad that they never went out drinking-I really think they would have enjoyed it.

I hear Kelly's Irish times is the place to be in the greater DC area. I'm going to have to settle for Benningen's-When your here your family-OH never mind-Slante!

El Cid
03-17-03, 09:22 AM
http://www.kellysirishtimes.com/

I think DC's young'n scene has moved out more to Tyson's corner and such, but there are still plenty of places within stumbling distance of a metro stop.

It worked tremendously to join a softball team. I was already swamped with 'other offers' and the team I was on was full of dork yankees who wore black dress socks with their cleats, but for more than a few friends of mine, it worked very, very well.

shocker
03-17-03, 09:25 AM
Bennigan's, huh? That is probably just as surreal as sitting in Dublin at the Guiness Factory!

BU34 and Ausbear really would have liked to drink, it's a shame they didn't give it a chance. BTW, that couch will forever be molded to their shapes with the amount of time they put in watching TV!

Ryan Air's slogan actually was "the great UK success story..."

El Cid
03-17-03, 09:32 AM
There is also a 'sculling/rowing/oarsmen/crew' themed bar down the street from the Wisconsin and M intersection, but damned if I can't remember the name of it.

If I had a drink in my hand, I'm sure it'd come back to me.

shocker
03-17-03, 09:33 AM
Are you talking about Garret's or the Guard's Arm? Those are right down from that intersection...

El Cid
03-17-03, 09:34 AM
No, it's practically buried in that brownstone neighborhood going in the Georgetown direction.

I'm still thinkin..

El Cid
03-17-03, 09:40 AM
The Tombs.

I feel a buzz just typing all this...

shocker
03-17-03, 09:41 AM
That's how I feel when I write about Chapter 11 in Waco!

The "X" Factor
03-17-03, 10:01 AM
That's one of the better bars in DC, Lara Croft hangs out there alot!

Yes Bennigan's is about as Irish as it gets. When I go there I'm able to get in, get out, and get on with my life. It's almost as Irish as a Black Leprican.

F*ck me-I'm Irish!

shocker
03-17-03, 10:06 AM
Hysterical X! Nice throwback to Notre Dame football a couple of years ago!

I do wish you were here to ring in St. Patty's day with me, I just had a green beer, corned beef and cabbage for lunch. These military types know how to party!

The "X" Factor
03-17-03, 10:13 AM
You're also full of shi+, you haven't drank before 5 0'clock since I lived with you and taught you how to drink!

shocker
03-17-03, 10:16 AM
Going back for round 2 right now! I can make an exemption for St. Patty's day...because Ireland is MY island!

Tonight when you booze by yourself X, may I recommend you watch Waking Ned Devine...strong Irish movie.

shocker
03-17-03, 10:16 AM
Or you could watch Swim Fan...

The "X" Factor
03-17-03, 10:28 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of Rudy, Cocktail, or perhaps even Jurrasic Park.

The people who brought us Saving Silverman crossed the line with Swim Fan-the truth life story of....

GuacaMyMole
03-17-03, 10:47 AM
Shocker, a small tear welled as I thought about Scruff's on this day of St. Patty. A handful of memories stem from those wooden floors and grafittied walls. Cold green beer, lovely Baylor co-eds and a little luck of the Irish:wink2: makes me miss good old Wacko on days like today. I will be hitting up some taverns tonight in Houston, but sadly I don't think they will quite match up to all that is Scruffy Murphy's for St.Patty's. Cheers lads.

shocker
03-17-03, 10:56 AM
I heard from our Saki bombing friend in Houston earlier that the Tavern on Gray will have tents set-up in the parking lot a la Scruff's. That might be worth checking out this evening! You can grab a green beer there and think of more simple times....