PDA

View Full Version : CU Sex parties

Longtime
02-02-04, 09:58 AM
Anybody else see the story where the Prez of CU says he is investigating whether CU entertains recruits with sex parties?

EZduzit
02-02-04, 10:00 AM
Saw it. Seems like this issue comes up every year at some school. CU seems to have fallen a long way since McCartney hung 'em up.

ditka
02-02-04, 10:46 AM
2-3 years ago, a couple of Colorado football players and recruits were accused of rape at one of these parties. I know the recruits in question were denied scholarships at CU, and one of them ended up at A&M.

TheRadvocate
02-02-04, 06:22 PM
since McCartney hung em up or his daughter did ? ...

Bearprof
02-03-04, 12:02 AM
I've been doing some surfing on the net and it seems that there isn't any substance to the rumors that the coaching staff or anyone affiliated with CU condoned using sex parties as a means to recruit football players. Certainly as much as this university condoned a basketball player murdering another one... Perhaps we shouldn't throw the first stone...? Also..., isn't this old news - this alleged rape occuring back in 2001? Why is it coming up now just a week or so before Letter of Intent Day? Even the Governor of Colorado is supposedly backing off some negative statements he made about CU, once he had some facts re: the case. I read on another site that several CU recruits have been interviewed over the last couple of years and say that CU actually is one of the most structured programs around re: campus visitations for recruiting purposes.

By the way, the President of CU is a woman. Doubt that would ever happen here, eh?

EASportsBear
02-03-04, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Bearprof
By the way, the President of CU is a woman. Doubt that would ever happen here, eh?

What's your point?

I doubt that the administration said to the coaching staff, "Hey, have you thought about sex parties? That might be a good way to get some recruits! And how about you let the guys rape the girls!"

The problem is, there are people saying that this is a problem and apparently the only thing the administration did was inform the coaching staff that it was inappropriate.

As for your murder analogy, Dotson wasn't a member of the team when he committed the crime. And it wasn't a part of the recruiting process for future players.

The President of CU is the one that announced the investigation, not some rival school. I don't think she did it to get her own university. Big conspiracy where a member of the University is trying to disrupt the recruiting process, maybe she wants to do away with football.

Roy Rogers
02-03-04, 06:50 AM
Now the state legislature is threating to get into the action by starting an investigation of their own. As of this morning, the two represetatives who threatened the investigation have said they will take a wait and see attitude to allow CU to start an internal investigation.

This situation has been kicking around for a while. The Boulder DA didn't bring criminal charges because she didn't feel she had enough evidence to make a rape charge stick. Now she (the DA) has been deposed in the federal lawsuit by one of the alleged victims.

People are saying that CU can't be held responsible for what the player/hosts and recruits do off campus. I agree with that to a certain point. But I would question the wisdom of selecting player/hosts who have a "partying reputation" as has been intimated in the press. When player/hosts are selected, I would think they would be given some ground rules and expectations. And maybe they were and just flat out ignored them.

As this federal lawsuit works it's way through the system, I'm sure we'll hear more about it.

bearoc
02-03-04, 09:58 AM
as much as this university condoned a basketball player murdering another one

You are officially a board-certified, card-carrying, grade A dumbass.

And I've heard firsthand accounts of CU recruiting trips; the "sex parties" allegations are not far off.

Bearprof
02-03-04, 10:03 PM
People, people, people...

As Baylor graduates, I would think that you would be a little smarter.

I was not making an equal comparison between the heinous crime here at Baylor and the alleged sex parties at CU; only the fact that the actions of a few (or just one person) can stain an entire athletic program or university when the rest of that institution in no way represents that circumstance. I, too, have heard first hand accounts of recruiting trips at CU and to say that the majority of them have such activities associated with them is ludricious. It seems that CU has taken serious steps in changing the way recruits are "managed" while on campus. My point was that if this alleged activity took place, it would not represent the totality of such recruiting events at CU.

By the way, Baylor is headed for another round of very, very bad publicity this summer. Seriously, enjoy this respite while you can.

bearoc
02-04-04, 09:37 AM
I don't know about "the majority of" CU recruiting trips; I just know about the firsthand account I heard from a buddy recruited by CU. His story was pretty close to the sex party scandal. I won't pretend to know what a "majority" of CU recruiting trips are like (although I'm sure you know), and I won't purport to know.

as much as this university condoned a basketball player murdering another one

How 'bout this statement? I'd like to know how our university condoned one basketball player murdering another. I guess I missed the ceremony in which Bob handed Dotson his Certificate of Completion for Murdering a Teammate.

By the way, Baylor is headed for another round of very, very bad publicity this summer. Seriously, enjoy this respite while you can.

Based on the ship our administration has been running, I've got no doubt this is true. These days, I'm just constantly braced for the next hit.