PDA

View Full Version : Its geting Very Ugly in the Sessions/Frost Race

OsoCoreyell
08-18-04, 09:17 AM
Is it me, or does this seem very, very desperate by Frost's campaign?

Frost aide: Sessions has played sign games before

Republican says he did nothing wrong; police filed report, not charges

06:59 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 18, 2004

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

About two years ago, a Dallas police officer parked beside a man uprooting political campaign signs along Northwest Highway and asked for his identification.

The man was U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas, and the signs belonged to his congressional opponent of the time, Pauline Dixon.

The episode, documented in an Oct. 27, 2002, Dallas police incident report, ended with no charges filed. Mr. Sessions said he did nothing wrong that night when he discovered 10 of his opponents' signs "illegally placed" on a state highway.

But campaign officials for Mr. Sessions' opponent, U.S. Rep. Martin Frost, D-Dallas, say the police report suggests otherwise. The Frost campaign called Mr. Sessions "a thief" and accused him of orchestrating an incident Monday at Lakewood Elementary School, where more than two dozen Frost campaign signs were hung from playground equipment and the building.

Mr. Sessions denies the charge.

Pressed on a connection between the incidents, Frost campaign chairman Marc Stanley said: "I can't prove he did it. But I can prove ... that he was out there stealing signs himself" in 2002.

Mr. Sessions, whose son, Alex, is a student at Lakewood Elementary, accused the Frost campaign of the incident. Leaders of both campaigns deny instructing campaign staffers or volunteers to tamper with campaign signs.

Regarding Mr. Sessions' stop for removing signs, Dallas police Sgt. Gil Cerda explained that the officer filed a "miscellaneous incident report," not an offense report, which means police documented the incident but decided against investigating it.

Texas state law prohibits the placement of campaign signs along state highways such as Northwest Highway.

"Only by the good graces of a police officer was Pete Sessions not brought down [to the county jail] to have his mug shot taken," Mr. Stanley said.

Mr. Sessions said by phone Tuesday that he "simply picked up, removed and put the signs right there on the ground" on that October night. "It's perfectly fine to take them up and put them down," he said.

Frost spokesman Justin Kitsch said Mr. Frost was unavailable for comment Tuesday, despite a public appearance in Dallas. Mr. Frost could not be reached for comment.

"If it's on a state highway, and Martin Frost is driving home one night and sees some sign there, I don't have a problem with him putting it down," Mr. Sessions said.

Meanwhile, KDFW-TV (Channel 4) and WFAA-TV (Channel 8) are refusing to air a political advertisement accusing Mr. Frost of supporting policies that expand rights for illegal immigrants, station officials said.

The network affiliates join KXAS-TV (Channel 5) and KTVT-TV (Channel 11), which last week pulled the advertisement, sponsored by the Coalition for the Future American Worker, from their schedules.

"After reviewing the script and spot, WFAA believes the spot does not meet the community standards for air," WFAA-TV president and general manager Kathy Clements wrote in an e-mail.

A KTVT official earlier described the spot as racist and biased. Coalition spokesman Ira Mehlman said his organization would attempt to run the advertisements on local cable and nonaffiliated stations.

He attributed the stations pulling the advertisement to executives "surrendering to political pressure." Only KXAS pulled a round of similar advertisements sponsored in April by the coalition.

In April, Mr. Frost and Mr. Sessions signed a pact demanding that independent organizations refrain from targeting them in political advertisements.

DesiArNoze
08-18-04, 09:52 AM
It's a hard to believe that Sessions would order someone to make fun of him in front of his kids.

Frost should have just said, "I'm sorry that happened to to Mr. Sessions. If it was anyone from my campaign that did it -- they should consider themselves fired."

Texas Golfer
08-18-04, 10:31 AM
Is it me, or does this seem very, very desperate by Frost's campaign?

The Frost campaign called Mr. Sessions "a thief" and accused him of orchestrating an incident Monday at Lakewood Elementary School, where more than two dozen Frost campaign signs were hung from playground equipment and the building.

Mr. Sessions denies the charge.

Pressed on a connection between the incidents, Frost campaign chairman Marc Stanley said: "I can't prove he did it. But I can prove ... that he was out there stealing signs himself" in 2002.

I agree Metro. The Frost campaign calls Sessions "a thief" but has no proof. Sounds much like accusing a candidate of being a deserter without proof. "Proof? We don't need no stinking proof!"

BCC97
08-18-04, 10:56 AM
only two and a half months left of this nonsense - i can hardly wait.

ChipOC
08-18-04, 11:01 AM
Poor behavior on both sides. Vote none of the above.

OsoCoreyell
08-18-04, 11:04 AM
Where was Pete's bad behavior? Taking down illegal signs in 2002?

ChipOC
08-18-04, 11:29 AM
It is suspect, but he could be telling the truth.
I read the article over here first: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/state/081804_APstate_candidates.html
Here's an interesting subset:

The police report was released the day after the Dallas elementary school of Sessions' son was decked with a dozen signs for his Democratic opponent. Sessions alerted the media of what he said was a disturbing campaign strategy of Frost.

But Frost's campaign said the signs were actually stolen by Sessions' supporters over the past couple of weeks and planted at the school to frame Frost.

Could be Frost is the only one acting poorly, but I tend to believe that when things get dirty in a race, it usually happens on both sides. So you could be right. I just don't care for dirty politics in general.

mav
08-18-04, 05:59 PM
Well, I can't speak for Dallas, but it's certainly not illegal in Houston to remove bandit signs from the right of way, even if they're not yours. In fact, it's encouraged. If I were running for office and I saw signs illegally placed in the right of way, I wouldn't hesitate to remove them.

The school thing, that's just weird. It doesn't really make sense for Frost to put them there, nor does it make a helluva lot of sense for Sessions to frame him for that. It wouldn't much surprise me if some third party, minimally connected--if at all--did this as a prank, and both candidates are intentionally and publicly assuming the worst about their opponent for political purposes.

ScottS
08-18-04, 08:25 PM
I wonder what job Frost will have come November. Selling life insurance?

http://www.federalreview.com/images/sensitive.gif