PDA

View Full Version : Emily Gipe- a Baylor softball feel good story

Fozzy Bear
04-27-05, 10:00 AM
Two weeks ago, Emily Gipe was your typical Baylor senior with a student job. She worked as an intern for the Baylor sports marketing department spending this semester helping especially with softball. She could often be seen in the press box playing the between-innings music when her boss was at other events and was one of the people who would throw t-shirts into the stands when one of the Baylor pitchers made a strike out. Then suddenly and unexpectedly her life at Baylor changed in an incredibly unexpected way.

Throughout the conference season, softball head coach Glenn Moore had noticed that he was frequently running out of pinch runners at crucial times late in games. Softball rules allow for starters to be re-inserted once for a pinch runner so having good bench speed is a must for a good college team. For the last few weeks, coach Moore has been calling sports contacts around Waco and Baylor looking for a speedy female athlete with some softball experience that would be willing to walk-on. As luck would have it, a telephone conversation with a local summerball coach yielded a name: Emily Gipe. It turns out that Emily, a Hewitt resident, had played a little softball for Midway HS and local summerball leagues. Coach Moore called her up and asked her to run some sprints for him and he was impressed with what he saw.

Today, if you look at the softball roster at www.baylorbears.com, you will notice a new addition to the Baylor softball lineup, #12 Emily Gipe, an infielder. Where two weeks ago Emily was handing out softball posters to children to be signed by the Baylor team, now she is signing the posters herself as a member of the eighth ranked Lady Bears squad. Congratulations Emily! Sometimes even unexpected dreams do come true.

alamoso
04-27-05, 08:58 PM
That is a great story!

ScottS
04-28-05, 05:22 AM
Will Baylor Dan say this suffices for a portsider?

GarlandBear84
04-28-05, 07:57 AM
That is a fun story. She should have had enough confidence to approach Coach Moore earlier and offer to walk on.

Lilly34
04-28-05, 08:17 AM
This is a great story and such a neat opportunity for her. Go Lady Bears!!! Keep winning and we luv this team!!!!! I hate there are no more home games.....could we have a chance again at having the regionals here????? Don't they have some kind of fan party...wait and watch??? i wanna go!!!!!

midwayag
04-28-05, 09:18 AM
Emily's one of my best friends, and she is an absolutely wonderful person, and about as spirited about Baylor as you can get. She was also on a couple of Little League World Series Champion teams from Midway Little League back in the day, so she's a heck of an athlete and a heck of a competitor.

I really wish you guys had some more home games so I could come see her play! I'll be leaving for Scotland on Wednesday morning, so I won't be here when you guys come to Aggieland.

Emily is the type of girl that each one of you can be proud of as a representative of Baylor to the world. Great random story about her newfound role on the softball team, we couldn't believe it when she told us about it.

BoredGovernor
04-28-05, 10:17 AM
Coach Moore said she ran a 2.69 from third to home in her try out. That makes her the third or fourth fastest player on the team.

brettxc
04-28-05, 11:50 AM
good chance regionals will be