PDA

View Full Version : Melanie Hamerly Joins Volleyball Team

staff
05-02-05, 06:35 PM
Melanie Hamerly Joins Volleyball Team
WACO, Texas - Baylor senior Melanie Hamerly (Orange, Texas), a member of the women's basketball national championship team, will join the Baylor volleyball team for the 2005 season, head coach Jim Bar...
Click here for the full story (www.baylorfans.com/bfview.php?storyID=5305)

Also be sure to check out the volleyball section (http://www.baylorfans.com/volleyball/) for more volleyball coverage!

Self Made Bear
05-02-05, 06:41 PM
The legend of The Hammer continues to grow!

txkypreacherskid
05-02-05, 06:44 PM
Congratulations to Melanie. My daughter played volleyball against her in high school. I think she played for LCM.

My daughter has the same opportunity to play another sport after she finishes her four years of eligibility in volleyball. I'm trying to get her to high jump, in order to pay for her Masters. Haven't made any progress yet.

Volleyballfan
05-04-05, 02:51 PM
Should be a good addition to the team and help provide leadership to an already senior filled team. I think they will be the most improved team in the Big 12 after seeing them play last Saturday.:bounce:

spooky
05-04-05, 03:07 PM
Some of the guys on hornfans are saying that Sarah Hollowell, a DS who played for them last year as a freshman, is or has transferred to Baylor. I haven't seen anything on our site. Anyone know if this is true. THe more experience the better.

Hopefully Melanie has kept her volleyball skills up. It'll be good to have her since Meira will be out. It'll be tough to replace the defensive boost she gave us last year.

Yogi
05-04-05, 06:33 PM
Some of the guys on hornfans are saying that Sarah Hollowell, a DS who played for them last year as a freshman, is or has transferred to Baylor. I haven't seen anything on our site. Anyone know if this is true. THe more experience the better.

I know nothing of this, but am always suspicious regarding such moves.

Would Hollowell be willing to sit out two years at BU?

She probably would be required to do so unless UT releases her from that requirement.

spooky
05-04-05, 07:32 PM
I believe many of the smaller sports, mainly the ones that primarily give partial scholarships, allow one transfer without any loss of playing time, but I think each conference can decide for itself if it has extra rules for transferring from within the conference. For example, I know KAtie Decker and Danelle Arnold from softball transferred from Nebraska to Baylor a few years back and played immediately with three full years of eligibility, so I think the Big 12 doesn't care if it's within the Big 12 or not. Baseball has the one time rule also, but I think they are more harsh on the intra-conference transfers.

Volleyballfan
05-04-05, 08:23 PM
She is here at Baylor but she has decided not to play Volleyball. Too Bad she could play.

"I believe many of the smaller sports, mainly the ones that primarily give partial scholarships, allow one transfer without any loss of playing time"

FYI, Volleyball isn't a smaller sport and doesn't have partial scholarships. The transfer rules are basically the same as basketball. If Texas released her she could play, if not she would sit a year.

spooky
05-04-05, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I knew volleyball was a full scholly sport, but I sure didn't make it seem that way. Thanks for the clarification.

Too bad about Sarah. The horn fans had good things to say about her ball control and passing skills, and that's seemed to be a weakness of ours the last few years.

Volleyballfan
05-04-05, 09:30 PM
No problem.

I heard she may still play after some time off this summer. She practiced with the team some during the spring.