PDA

View Full Version : All-Big 12 Tennis Honors Announced

biggmatt24
05-03-05, 10:11 AM
All-Big 12 Tennis Honors Announced (http://big12sports.collegesports.com/sports/c-tennis/spec-rel/050205aag.html)

May. 2, 2005

DALLAS - Benedikt Dorsch (Baylor) and Zuzana Zemenova (Baylor) have been named Big 12 Players of the Year, the conference announced. Radek Nijaki (Texas Tech) and Zuzana Cerna (Baylor) were chosen Big 12 Newcomers of the Year, while Lars Poerschke (Baylor), Jerry Makowski (Texas A&M) and Zemenova were picked as Freshmen of the Year. Coaching accolades in the conference went to Tim Siegel (Texas Tech) and Scott Jacobson (Nebraska).

The All-Big 12 honors are selected by the league's head coaches, who are not allowed to vote for their own players. It marks the first time in Big 12 women's tennis history that one school has swept all three player honors.

Dorsch becomes the first tennis player in the Big 12 to win Player of the Year in three consecutive seasons. The senior is also only the second conference athlete in any sport to win top player honors three years in a row (Maria Boden, Oklahoma State, Women's Golf, 1999-2001). Dorsch, ranked as the No. 2 singles player in the nation in the latest ITA Tennis rankings, is 25-2 overall. Zemenova is the first women's tennis competitor from Baylor to earn Player of the Year recognition. The freshman has played at No. 1 singles all year for BU and was 9-0 in Big 12 matches. She is also the first player in league annals to win women's tennis player and rookie honors in the same year. Zemenova is ranked 23rd nationally, sixth among freshman.

Nijaki was the unanimous choice on the men's side as Newcomer of the Year. The sophomore played at No. 1 singles and had the top record in league matches with a 6-1 mark. He is ranked 20th in the nation, fourth among sophomores. Cerna is the first BU athlete since 1997 (Barbara Navarro) to be named the top women's tennis newcomer. Cerna has a 20-8 record this season, with a combined 7-0 mark at No. 3 and No. 4 singles in Big 12 matches.

In men's tennis, there were co-winners for Freshman of the Year for the second straight season, with Lars Poerschke and Jerry Makowski sharing accolades. Perschke boasts a 35-10 record this year, while Makowski is ranked as the nation's top freshman (No. 14) in the latest ITA Tennis rankings.

Siegel is the first Red Raider mentor to earn the men's coaching award. He has led Tech to a 23-3 record this season and a No. 15 national ranking. He was a unanimous choice. The Red Raiders began the year by winning their first 17 matches and finished 5-2 in Big 12 play. Jacobson was in charge of a Nebraska squad that has posted an 18-3 record, winning nine of 11 league matches during the regular season. The Huskers finished third in the conference, while Tech tied for third place on the men's side. Both finishes were the highest for each school since Big 12 play began in 1997.

The All-Big 12 Teams were also announced. Four men's singles players and three doubles teams were unanimously honored. Senior Benjamin Becker (Baylor) was named for the fourth time in his career. On the women's side, three singles standouts were unanimous picks. Senior Gitte Ostermann (Nebraska) was recognized for the third straight year.

2005 ALL-BIG 12 TENNIS AWARDS

MEN'S TENNIS
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Benedikt Dorsch, Baylor, Sr.

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
Radek Nijaki, Texas Tech, So.**

FRESHMEN OF THE YEAR
Lars Poerschke, Baylor, Fr.
Jerry Makowski, Texas A&M, Fr.

COACH OF THE YEAR
Tim Siegel, Texas Tech, 12th season**

ALL-BIG 12 TEAM
Singles
Benjamin Becker, Baylor, Sr.**
Benedikt Dorsch, Baylor, Sr.**
Lars Poerschke, Baylor, Fr.
Marko Bundalo, Colorado, Jr.
Ondrej Fukala, Oklahoma, Sr.
Marek Velicka, Oklahoma, So.
Tomas Bohunicky, Oklahoma State, Jr.
Mark Van Elden, Oklahoma State, Sr.
Callum Beale, Texas, Jr.
Travis Helgeson, Texas, Fr.
Jerry Makowski, Texas A&M, Fr.
Ante Matijevic, Texas A&M, Sr.
Radek Nijaki, Texas Tech, So.**
Bojan Szumanski, Texas Tech, So.**

Doubles
Benedikt Dorsch/Matija Zgaga, Baylor**
Lars Poerschke/Michal Kokta, Baylor
Tommy Garrison/Ondrej Fukala, Oklahoma**
Boris Kuharic/Juan Felipe Diaz, Oklahoma State**
Callum Beale/Travis Helgeson, Texas
Brett Joelson/Ante Matijevic, Texas A&M

** - Unanimous Selection
Ties in the voting created additional positions among singles players.

WOMEN'S TENNIS
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Zuzana Zemenova, Baylor, Fr.

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
Zuzana Cerna, Baylor, So.

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR
Zuzana Zemenova, Baylor, Fr.

COACH OF THE YEAR
Scott Jacobson, Nebraska, 13th season

ALL-BIG 12 TEAM
Singles
Zuzana Zemenova, Baylor, Fr.**
Kendra Strandemo, Colorado, Sr.
Tamar Kvaratskhelia, Kansas State, Fr.
Maria Rosenberg, Kansas State, Sr.
Katka Sevcikova, Missouri, Sr.
Gitte Ostermann, Nebraska, Sr.**
Irina Lykina, Oklahoma, So.
Iryna Tkachenko, Oklahoma State, Fr.
Petra Dizdar, Texas, So.**
Mia Marovic, Texas, Jr.
Helga Vieira, Texas A&M, Sr.
Lauren Walker, Texas A&M, Sr.

Doubles
Zuzana Cerna/Daniela Covello, Baylor
Kendra Strandemo/Jessica Vanderdys, Colorado
Gitte Ostermann/Katie Garcia, Nebraska
Kendra Strohm/Katie Ruckert, Texas
Anna Lubinsky/Lauren Walker, Texas A&M
Tara Browning/Lakann Wagley, Texas Tech

** - Unanimous Selection

GarlandBear84
05-03-05, 10:22 AM
How can Knoll not win coach of the year? Was his team supposed to do better than undefeated? The TT coach won in a unanimous vote. Congrats to Benedikt and Zuzana!

caesarscott
05-03-05, 10:40 AM
How can Knoll not win coach of the year? Was his team supposed to do better than undefeated? The TT coach won in a unanimous vote. Congrats to Benedikt and Zuzana!maybe TT was most improved? they might have been picked to do poorly and ended up doing well, i dont know and dont care. we swept them 7-0, so no matter how well they did, we beat them like redheaded step children.

its alot like the Mich St coach winning COY and this was also their best season ever, yet we totally owned them in the Finals when it counted, winning by the 2nd largest margin EVER.

BaylorLine
05-03-05, 11:00 AM
Has Knoll ever won COY?

GarlandBear84
05-03-05, 11:14 AM
If the voters have something against Knoll because of the foreign players he recruits, they must have overlooked that the 2 TT players that made all-conference singles both have foreign-sounding names (Radek Nijaki, Texas Tech, So.** and Bojan Szumanski, Texas Tech, So.**)

biggmatt24
05-03-05, 11:18 AM
I figure it's not because of where the players are from, but the players skill level that factored most into the coach of the year. One could argue that with the talent we have on the team, it doesn't take as much coaching as it would to lead Tech's team to a 23-3 record.

I don't know Tech's overall team skill level, but it is something to figure into the coaching equation.

Fuzzy Wuzzy
05-03-05, 11:38 AM
I think that Tech completely surprised folks this year. They are a good top 10 team and their coach should be recognized. Also, Knoll won last year. I am a little disappointed on the women's side as the ladies did awesome this year. I don't think they were predicted to win it.

Hey, I'm not complaining. We have the hardware and hopefully a back 2 back NC to go with it.

FW

GarlandBear84
05-03-05, 11:56 AM
I think that Tech completely surprised folks this year. They are a good top 10 team and their coach should be recognized. Also, Knoll won last year. I am a little disappointed on the women's side as the ladies did awesome this year. I don't think they were predicted to win it.

Hey, I'm not complaining. We have the hardware and hopefully a back 2 back NC to go with it.

FW

The article said TT finished with a rank of 15.

Fuzzy Wuzzy
05-03-05, 12:38 PM
they were Top 10 until they lost to us at the end of the year. Nevertheless, Tech has a pretty good team and that sophomore is a good player. I think their coach deserves Big 12 COY.

I'll take Matt K getting National COY :)

FW