PDA

View Full Version : Baylor cheerleaders on Oprah...

tbear34
05-10-05, 08:30 PM
Anyone else see the Baylor cheerleaders on the Oprah Winfrey show today?

We received huge positive national publicity.

The show was about twin girls Brittney and Betheny whose dad was going to sell the family's home so his twin daughters could attend Baylor. They live in Lincoln, Nebraska. Go figure?

Oprah's "Wildest Dreams" show found out about it and provided them both full tuition paid for four years to attend BU. My wife taped it.

It gave Baylor some tremendous national exposure. The Mascot was there along with the cheerleaders and a high school band playing the fight song.

The whole family was ecstatic. You would have thought that they received a million dollars. Actually they received much more than that. It was absolutely great.

Aray
05-10-05, 08:52 PM
One of those cheerleaders is student teaching at my mom's school here in Waco. She sent out a E-mail the other day to all the teachers talking about her trip to Chicago. I unfortunatly missed it because I was out on the golf course. Sending those kids to Baylor is pocket change for Oprah.

tbear34
05-10-05, 08:56 PM
One of those cheerleaders is student teaching at my mom's school here in Waco. She sent out a E-mail the other day to all the teachers talking about her trip to Chicago. I unfortunatly missed it because I was out on the golf course. Sending those kids to Baylor is pocket change for Oprah.

Yep, very true, but the positive publicity is...PRICELESS!

bauctalk
05-10-05, 09:33 PM
What does it tell you that a father has to think about selling his home for his kids to attend Baylor?

bauc

Aray
05-10-05, 09:46 PM
What does it tell you that a father has to think about selling his home for his kids to attend Baylor?

bauc

Yeah seriously. I would have been sorry kids it University of Nebraska or bust. I wanted to go to Duke, should have called Oprah

AF337
05-10-05, 09:48 PM
Verizon wireless is paying, not Oprah.

PapaBearcat
05-10-05, 09:57 PM

bauc

Bauc,
It means that his house is very inexpensive!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

fatcat255
05-11-05, 12:23 AM

bauc

Some parents choose to make sacrifices to give their children opportunities the parents did not have.

Though the twins teeth sure were straight and white, it tells you their father is not a dentist.

I sold mine too!

Ty McNeely
05-11-05, 04:15 AM
Maybe that Baylor is a private school----one of the cheapest in the nation, at that?

Some people will use anything to push their agenda.

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 06:51 AM
Oh, and they're twins...

I saw that yesterday as I was walking into the Towers... they had it on and there were like 20 people crowded around the tv they have in the lobby. Pretty boss, if you ask me.

The band that was playing in the background was a local high school band that just happened to have the colors green and gold. They butchered the Baylor Line. Sigh, oh well.

JasonBU
05-11-05, 07:30 AM
Are they hot twins???

tornado
05-11-05, 07:40 AM
So all of you men watch Oprah, interesting, very interesting....any Dr. Phil fans out there...c'mon, I know there has to be at least one.

GalvestonBear
05-11-05, 08:03 AM
Alltel is paying the freight on this deal, not Oprah. The band was playing the fight song, not the Line. It was a great story and gave Baylor super publicity. The only thing missing was having a Baylor representative there to welcome the girls and make a statement. However you feel about RBS, the office is bigger than any one person and he should have been there. Tommye Lou and Brumley struck out on a softball that was there for the hitting.

Starr ChamBear
05-11-05, 08:19 AM

bauc

That parents think the education received at Baylor is worth the price?

Jonny Blaze
05-11-05, 08:43 AM
So all of you men watch Oprah, interesting, very interesting....any Dr. Phil fans out there...c'mon, I know there has to be at least one.

The same thought crossed my mind.

fatcat255
05-11-05, 08:52 AM
I was actually in Waco. Brought my truck down to help move some bigger items back home for the summer. One of his roommates just finished a final and was flipping channels and ran across the lead in.

4 college students and a dad waiting for the commercial to end so we could watch Oprah. The students were proud of their school and pleased to be getting more positive coverage on the national level.

LTbear
05-11-05, 09:13 AM
Bauc,
It means that his house is very inexpensive!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
$200,000 is inexpensive?
2 kids, tuition = $20,000; easily add in at least $40 k for fees, books, living expenses over next 4 years for two kids...

adubya
05-11-05, 09:26 AM
$200,000 is inexpensive?
2 kids, tuition = $20,000; easily add in at least $40 k for fees, books, living expenses over next 4 years for two kids...

In California it is!

Ty McNeely
05-11-05, 10:32 AM
$200,000 is inexpensive?

For a private school, YES.

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 10:39 AM
Notre Dame is upwards of $34K a year.

Loyola in Maryland is $45K (I believe).

I know that if my brother ever drops out of West Point, he could end up owing $200k just himself.

People underestimate how expensive schools can be. People in Texas are ESPECIALLY spoiled. I can't remember the name of it, but wasn't there a HUGE fund for Texas Higher Education that came largely from Oil Taxes? But now that has been drying up for years and the state hasn't been able to make up the difference. So Texas schools are having to up their costs and tuition. School in Texas is still relatively cheap compared to other states. (I've been doing some research on a tangentially related subject for some of my Master's work.)

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 10:47 AM
Are they hot twins???

Not super-hot. But they looked like Baylor Girls already. Not kidding. I thought it was a Trading Spaces: Baylor addition or something. But cute. They were cute.

I've kinda figured out why Baylor has better looking women.

Its not that we have all that many more "Hot Girls." Or fewer "Ugly Girls." I think our percentages are probably about average there. But its the "middle of the pack" where we excel. Girls at my old school (WIU) who were "ok" wouldn't spend as much time on themselves as the "ok" girls here. So they stayed "ok."

But the normal girls, who maybe weren't blessed with the perfect bone structure, super-model long legs, and natural C's can do the other things to accentuate what they DO have because they are more wealthy, have more access to things like hair stylists and nutritionists, whatever.

Plus, the campus culture here poses that its not "ok" for a girl to be less than made-up and looking cute. That's why you see girls with make-up walking the bear-trail.

Just a theory I've been working on.

bono
05-11-05, 10:54 AM
Maybe that Baylor is a private school----one of the cheapest in the nation, at that?

Some people will use anything to push their agenda.

And some people will buy into anything if it's spun the right way. If you had been around here a few more years you would also realize what a big change the massive tuition increases have been for Baylor. There are numerous middle class students throughout Texas who would no longer consider Baylor. Our low cost for a private school is part of what made Baylor so great and allowed us to compete with aTm and UT for students. Now that we have finally removed the main cancer I hope we can get the tution situation under control.

tornado
05-11-05, 11:07 AM
High tuition is just a norm with private schools that offer good education. Vanderbilt makes you pay almost 40k a year.

91Bear
05-11-05, 11:36 AM
I thought it was a Trading Spaces: Baylor addition or something. But cute. They were cute.

The word is edition, Mr. Smarter-than-everybody. ;)

BodhiBear
05-11-05, 11:42 AM
Brooks is right...I believe that Southwestern in Georgetown is more expensive than BU, as are most small, liberal arts colleges. Baylor is pretty reasonable and they are beginning to give more grants and scholarships based on need. My mother only made 22,000 a year and I made it through Baylor. Regarding competing w/ a&m and ut...I'm not so sure that we should in most cases. These are completely different types of institutions and that have their niche in the general type of student that goes there. I'd prefer to set my sights a little higher and compete w/ Rice, ND, and other high quality institutions that have a similar student body. If a kid wants to go to a school like ut, then he will no matter what BU does. ut and BU are so different, I can't really see too much interaction between the two. Just my opinion.

Aggie86
05-11-05, 12:38 PM
My only question is whether they, the twins, will get a deal from Playboy?
In regrads to selling the house, why not a loan?
In regards to Bodhibear and lumping Baylor with "higher quality of schools such Rice and ND". Try Iowa State and UNC- Raleigh
1. Harvard
2. Princeton
3. Yale
4. University of Pennsylvania
5. Duke
17 Rice
18 ND
47 Texas
65 TAMU
73 SMU
84 Baylor

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 01:58 PM
The word is edition, Mr. Smarter-than-everybody. ;)

Oooh, ouch!

Touche, you anal jerk! Touche! ;)

Thanks for not saying I was "ignorant" of the correct speeling of that word.

Ty McNeely
05-11-05, 03:33 PM
Oooh, ouch!

Touche, you anal jerk! Touche! ;)

Thanks for not saying I was "ignorant" of the correct speeling of that word.

Speeling, eh?

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 07:09 PM
Way to go TY! You saw my OBVIOUS joke!

LTbear
05-11-05, 07:58 PM
For a private school, YES.
I was asking if it was inexpensive, not if it compared well with other overpriced places.

LTbear
05-11-05, 07:59 PM
Notre Dame is upwards of $34K a year.

Loyola in Maryland is $45K (I believe).

I know that if my brother ever drops out of West Point, he could end up owing $200k just himself.

People underestimate how expensive schools can be. People in Texas are ESPECIALLY spoiled. I can't remember the name of it, but wasn't there a HUGE fund for Texas Higher Education that came largely from Oil Taxes? But now that has been drying up for years and the state hasn't been able to make up the difference. So Texas schools are having to up their costs and tuition. School in Texas is still relatively cheap compared to other states. (I've been doing some research on a tangentially related subject for some of my Master's work.)
I'll agree here. In the state as a whole, school is at very good prices. Just look at the west coast!

LTbear
05-11-05, 08:03 PM
Not super-hot. But they looked like Baylor Girls already. Not kidding. I thought it was a Trading Spaces: Baylor addition or something. But cute. They were cute.

I've kinda figured out why Baylor has better looking women.

Its not that we have all that many more "Hot Girls." Or fewer "Ugly Girls." I think our percentages are probably about average there. But its the "middle of the pack" where we excel. Girls at my old school (WIU) who were "ok" wouldn't spend as much time on themselves as the "ok" girls here. So they stayed "ok."

But the normal girls, who maybe weren't blessed with the perfect bone structure, super-model long legs, and natural C's can do the other things to accentuate what they DO have because they are more wealthy, have more access to things like hair stylists and nutritionists, whatever.

Plus, the campus culture here poses that its not "ok" for a girl to be less than made-up and looking cute. That's why you see girls with make-up walking the bear-trail.

Just a theory I've been working on.
Very true. A riveting hypothesis.

I can't help but laugh at all the little Baylor girls who go to work out looking as though they're walking a runway.

Ty McNeely
05-11-05, 08:10 PM
Way to go TY! You saw my OBVIOUS joke!

I know, I did :D

I was hoping somebody would call me on it and point out the OBVIOUS sarcasm involved :D

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 08:18 PM
Very true. A riveting hypothesis.

I can't help but laugh at all the little Baylor girls who go to work out looking as though they're walking a runway.

Thank you... I'm currently working along with my ASSistant, Ty, on some research methodologies.

Any ideas?

pls advise

LTbear
05-11-05, 08:31 PM
Thank you... I'm currently working along with my ASSistant, Ty, on some research methodologies.

Any ideas?

pls advise
I think you must devise a plan to see the majority of Baylor women without makeup, so as their natural-born "hotness" may be truly revealed. Perhaps throwing a university wide party and bustin out the water hoses? You could always encourage white t-shirts too. :flash:

BrooksBearLives
05-11-05, 08:37 PM
lol

We have a name for girls like that. We call them the "Baylor Shape-shifters."

y'know, the girls who look like Sh!t one moment and then they go to their room, put on some make-up, curl their hair, tan, i don't know... a girdle and BAM! They look like a different person.

Baylor Shape-shifters, man.

I'm all about white t-shirts, bro. Proof that Jesus loves us.

tbear34
05-11-05, 09:21 PM
"....any Dr. Phil fans out there...c'mon, I know there has to be at least one."

Actually I am Dr. Phil's twin brother "Dr. Frank." :eyes: :eyes:

RealBear
05-12-05, 01:06 PM
So, if you have a great product that is underpriced, then you should plan on making it overpriced?

Baylor is way too expensive today for most folks to afford. All I know is that it used to be much more affordable. I hope we focus on controlling future costs so that it will become more affordable for all those that are qualified to attend to at least have a choice.

No name calling, no blaming, no flaming, simple hope from an old Baylor grad for the future generations of kids who want to go to Baylor.

BrooksBearLives
05-12-05, 01:12 PM
I'm not saying its expensive. Because it is. $25K is a chunk of change.

However, prices are soaring everywhere. Perhaps there are reasons for that other than evil empirious presidents and regents. Could we actively work against it? Should we? Absolutely, absolutely. But Baylor has stayed cheap for a while by skimping on facilities and paying teachers less than they deserve while growing enrollment.

It had to catch up to us eventually.

And yeah, we're pretty screwed up now as it is with profs getting their first raise in a few years and its only like 1%. And we built too much too fast. But I still think SOME of that (not all) is reality catching up with us.

BossRossBear
05-12-05, 01:35 PM
Here's the link to some pictures of the twins and the Baylor spirit squad.

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200505/20050510/slide_20050510_108.jhtml

BodhiBear
05-13-05, 07:15 AM
My only question is whether they, the twins, will get a deal from Playboy?
In regrads to selling the house, why not a loan?
In regards to Bodhibear and lumping Baylor with "higher quality of schools such Rice and ND". Try Iowa State and UNC- Raleigh
1. Harvard
2. Princeton
3. Yale
4. University of Pennsylvania
5. Duke
17 Rice
18 ND
47 Texas
65 TAMU
73 SMU
84 Baylor

I went to Baylor and ND...as did other Baylor students I met there. No sign of aggie. No goats or chicken houses on the ND campus :( Regardless, from experience I can say that my Baylor classes were tougher then my ND classes. If you had any brain in that aggie head of yours you would look at the criteria for ranking schools used by US News. It includes areas such as alumni giving rate and other non-academic factors. The rankings are NOT purely academic. If they were, I regret to inform that poor aggie land would not fair so well. Even their most weighted criteria, Peer Review, is flawed b/c schools that have the most well-known researchers, not teachers, often get a higher score. Good researchers DO NOT equal good teachers or a quality education. Besides that, US News is basically using the opinions of others to rank the quality of a school. Hardly thorough or convincing work.

Trader Bear
05-13-05, 07:46 AM
Verizon wireless is paying, not Oprah.
Alltel, not Verizon.