PDA

View Full Version : Explanation for a novice Tennis fan

vacationstats97
05-15-05, 01:59 PM
As a BU alum who is a resident of College Station, I have made plans and purchased tickets to see the championships next week. Other than knowing that 16 teams are left in the nation, I have no idea how the tournament works or when anybody plays or how advancement works. I checked out the NCAA Tennis website and they gave nothing but the dates of the championships (May 21-24).

Can somebody provide me with a good website or an explanation?

Jack Bauer
05-15-05, 02:20 PM
As a BU alum who is a resident of College Station, I have made plans and purchased tickets to see the championships next week. Other than knowing that 16 teams are left in the nation, I have no idea how the tournament works or when anybody plays or how advancement works. I checked out the NCAA Tennis website and they gave nothing but the dates of the championships (May 21-24).

Can somebody provide me with a good website or an explanation?

I am a step above novice but here is what I believe you need to know.

1) Men's NCAA tournament bracket - keep checking this because they will update the results and also give times for the matches. Once the 2nd round is over, they will post the times for the matches. Baylor plays A&M next in the sweet 16.
http://www.ncaasports.com/tennis/mens/brackets/viewable/straight64/2005/DI

2) The scoring for NCAA tennis works this way. There are 3 doubles matches and 6 singles matches.

The 3 doubles matches play for ONE point based on the
best 2/3 games.

Each singles match is also worth ONE point. Since there are 7 total points available, the first one to get to FOUR is the winner.

See the recent results against Texas in the 2nd round here. Texas won the doubles POINT, but Baylor won 4 singles matches to clinch the match. The other two matches were not finished since Baylor had already won the match.

http://baylorbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-tennis/stats/051005aae.html

Hope that helps.

bugwbsax05
05-15-05, 02:30 PM
as far as the tournamnet goes, it is basically the same format as the other tournaments (Sweet 16, elite 8, so forth and so on). After the team clinches the 4 points, they advace to the next round. I think the times for the tournament are like 9, 12, 3, and 6. Since we are the overall #1 seed we will probably play later in the day. I think if you go to the link that georgiabear gave you they should have the times and stuff.

biggmatt24
05-15-05, 02:32 PM
Also, the tournament is single-elimination. Win or go home.

Jack Bauer
05-15-05, 02:49 PM
Also forgot to add

The doubles matches are 1 set - first team to win 8 games (I think you have to win by two?)

The singles matches are the traditional format- win 6 games for a set, best 2/3 sets wins the match.

tbear34
05-15-05, 03:31 PM
All of the above know their tennis. Follow their lead and you will have a great time. Wish I could be their to see it.

vacationstats97
05-15-05, 03:38 PM
Thanks Georgia and company, informed fans make enthusiastic fans. I am much better prepared now.

So it's a 16 team single elimination tourney. Round of 16 on Saturday, Quarterfinals on Sunday, Semis on Monday and national title on Tuesday?

4 days, 4 rounds. We'll play every day as long as we keep winning?

jumpinjoe
05-15-05, 08:14 PM
2) The scoring for NCAA tennis works this way.

There are 3 doubles matches and 6 singles matches.

The 3 doubles matches play for ONE point based on the
best 2/3 games.

Each singles match is also worth ONE point. Since there are 7 total points available, the first one to get to FOUR is the winner.

See the recent results against Texas in the 2nd round here. Texas won the doubles POINT, but Baylor won 4 singles matches to clinch the match. The other two matches were not finished since Baylor had already won the match.

Please reconcile the difference between nine matches with a total of nine points and 7 total points available to determine the match?

jumpinjoe
05-15-05, 08:18 PM
I think I see...the three doubles matches count as one point in the aggregate, not three.