PDA

View Full Version : Calling GarlandBear84...

Pale Rider
05-17-05, 04:42 PM
GarlandBear, can you give us any special insight and analysis on the 13 track signees for 2005; I am thinking especially of the 400 meter guys and the sprinter from Temple. Maybe you have shared some thoughts before on the Fall group and if so just give me the place to go. Any consideration will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PR

2005 Baylor Track & Field Signees
R.J. Anderson 400 Key West, Fla. (Key West)
Erin Bedell Distances Plano, Texas (Plano West)
David Gettis 400 Los Angeles, Calif. (Dorsey)
Rachel Glandorf 800 Vail, Colo. (Vail Christian)
Ashley Koral Pole Vault Wheaton, Ill. (Warrenville South)
Rachel Long 400 Hurdles Houston, Texas (Lamar)
Tiana Long Sprints Long Beach, Calif. (Wilson)
Jacob Norman Sprints Temple, Texas (Temple)
Quentin Summers 400 San Antonio, Texas (Madison)
Katrina Taylor 400 Baton Rouge, La. (Magnet)
Stasia Taylor Triple Jump Atlanta, Ga. (Greater Atlanta Christian)
Quito Teasley Long Jump Katy, Texas (Cinco Ranch)
Kaleigh Teel Pole Vault Friendswood, Texas (Friendswood)

Pale Rider
05-17-05, 04:44 PM
P.S. Anyone else who knows these new signees, please feel free to contribute. Thanks

Preyst
05-18-05, 08:26 AM
2005 Baylor Track & Field Signees
R.J. Anderson 400 Key West, Fla. (Key West)- #1 quartermiler in Florida. 2nd year to run track after playing soccer. Built like Jeremy Wariner (which is a very good thing ;) )
Erin Bedell Distances Plano, Texas (Plano West) - 2:08.1 and 4:43.5 in the at the state meet (both state records). The girl is a monster and could step in right now and win both the 1500 and 5000 at conference.
David Gettis 400 Los Angeles, Calif. (Dorsey) - 46.9 P.R. so far this season. Built like Roy Williams (the Longhorn version) and has the fire to be our next great anchor leg.
Rachel Glandorf 800 Vail, Colo. (Vail Christian) - 2:20 half-miler that has great potential. Another kid who hasn't been running track for very long that has great potential.
Ashley Koral Pole Vault Wheaton, Ill. (Warrenville South)
Rachel Long 400 Hurdles Houston, Texas (Lamar) - Was ranked #1 in the 300H in the state going into this past weekend and got 2nd. I want to say her P.R. is 43.7 but I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that one.
Tiana Long Sprints Long Beach, Calif. (Wilson) - Tiana Hood is an outstanding sprinter from Long Beach Poly, a school known for producing some of the best sprinters in the nation. 100 - 11.8 and 23-high for the 200.
Jacob Norman Sprints Temple, Texas (Temple) - Jacob is going to be very good. Ran 10.28 earlier this year at the Dr. Pepper meet even after bear crawling (no pun intended) out of the blocks. That would have placed him 3rd at conference.
Quentin Summers 400 San Antonio, Texas (Madison) - Placed 2nd to Waco's own LaGerald Betters at the state meet and has a P.R. of 47.2 I believe this season. Comes from the same area as Quiroga, Williamson, and Teter, so he's got that going for him.
Katrina Taylor 400 Baton Rouge, La. (Magnet) - holds the state record in La. at 54.27.
Stasia Taylor Triple Jump Atlanta, Ga. (Greater Atlanta Christian) - Haven't heard much from her, but I believe she's a 44 foot tripler jumper. Coach Bowers should be able to develop her very nicely.
Quito Teasley Long Jump Katy, Texas (Cinco Ranch) - 24 foot long jumper and ranked #1 in the nation. Great jumper but only problem is how much track will have him when he starts up football practices.
Kaleigh Teel Pole Vault Friendswood, Texas (Friendswood)

Pale Rider
05-18-05, 12:38 PM
Sonic that's a great report. Thanks a bunch.

I read the WacoTrib atricle today and it was fairly informative also.

I was trying to get a sense where this group "rated" in comparison; what some of their accomplishments are.

As Coach Hart says, sounds like a lot of them will need to develop but come in with great potential and great attitudes. Also some obviously are right up there with the best.

Thanks again.

PR

GarlandBear84
05-18-05, 07:43 PM
Sorry, PR. I was in Raleigh, NC the past 2 days for work and just saw this. I'm not totally ecstatic about the recently announced ones. I'm glad we are branching out and getting athletes from CA, FL, IL, LA and CO. The best guys s/b Gettis and Teasley if GuyMo lets them do their thing. They have true Olympic potential. Bedell is one of the best in the nation. I'm glad we got some to pole vault and triple jump. I wonder about Jacob Norman. I think he was a senior a year ago, so I don't know what he has been doing for a year. He was one of the fastest in TX high schools a year ago.

Wacoso
05-18-05, 07:51 PM
Jacob needed some core classes.

tbear34
05-18-05, 09:28 PM
Thanks 84. Your feelings are kind of what I was thinking and feeling about this group. I guess I just needed some insightful confirmation. I knew you would have it if anyone would.

I hate to say it but I wonder if we are slipping a little bit in track. Maybe the "top dogs" out there are wary of Coach Hart retiring soon. No knock on this group. I am glad to have any student athlete that wants to come to Baylor.

I do hope Coach Morriss allows those track signees to compete in the Spring. I really think it is better for them. And obviously better for the track team.

thanks for your thoughts.

tbear/ PR

Preyst
05-19-05, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry if I come off rude, but I fail to see how we are "slipping" in track. We signed the #2 quartermiler in the nation (David Gettis by only a few tenths of a second), the #1 long jumper in the nation (Teasley), the #2 miler in Erin Bedell (who will be ranked #1 by the end of the season in my opinion), and the #1 sprinter in the state from a few years back in Jacob Norman. Remember Jeremy and Darold weren't as highly touted out of high school as you may think, and even Michael Johnson wasn't even ranked in the top 5 of sprinters in the nation when he came to Baylor.

And as for the comment about not knowing what Jacob Norman has been doing, he's been taking care of his grades so he can have 4 full years of eligibility here at Baylor, and ran a super fast time of 10.28 at the Dr. Pepper meet early in the year with a terrible start. That time right there would have scored in our conference. I'm just failing to see why you guys are so ho hum about this class. It's shaping up to be one of the best in the past decade.

LaVerite
05-19-05, 08:04 AM
Along with Jacob, does it appear that we will have the necessary pieces to run a competitive 4x100 in the near future? That would bode well for future meets as it would allow point opportunities in the 100, 200, and 4x100.

If so, who are the most likely candidates to run?

GarlandBear84
05-19-05, 07:02 PM
Hopefully, Braelon will recover and get his grades in order. Saziru would be a nice part of a 4x100 when he returns. Add Queito and Jacob Norman and thats a pretty good sprint relay.

Preyst
05-19-05, 08:15 PM
Braelon, Quito, Jacob, and either David Gettis or Stephen Harbour look like pretty good candidates. My sources tell me we might also be getting in another high caliber sprinter for next year as well. Both the 4x1 and 4x4 relays look good for next year.

GarlandBear84
05-19-05, 08:32 PM
What is Stephen's best 100 time? I didn't think he was near fast enough. Is there a reason you're not considering Jamen Saziru? Wasn't he on the 4x100 last year? I think he ran at the regional meet.