PDA

View Full Version : Knoll is "Dark Lord of Big 12"

diadeloso
05-18-05, 03:41 PM
Remember this one? I try to post this blast from the past every year or so. Especially when we are gonna play the Ag's

No love at Aggie courts

April 21, 2002

http://www.aggiesports.com/columnists/premeaux/042102noloveattennis.htm

Ask a Texas or a Texas A&M menís tennis fan about Baylor head coach Matt Knoll, and you will hear the same thing.

Knoll is the Dark Lord of Big 12 menís tennis. He stacks his teams by recruiting older foreign players who have been paid to play professionally. Some suggest he even teaches his players to hook, a cowardly act performed by tennis players who either have no game or arenít good enough to win straight up.

Cheater or not, the Dark Lord and his Baylor Bears forged one ring to rule them all Saturday, thwarting what could have been a three-ring binding of Big 12 regular season champions.

And now the naysayers from Texas and Texas A&M will have to feast on their unbelievable hatred for Knoll, gnawing away at themselves until their teams get a shot at Baylor in the upcoming Big 12 tournament.

One team promises to get that shot. Baylor, the No. 1 seed, will probably have to face either No. 2-seed Texas or No. 3-seed A&M in Sundayís championship match at the Texas A&M Tennis Center.

Sparks will fly that afternoon, no doubt, and many of them will not be red, white and blue. Baylorís team is almost entirely foreign. Texasí top four players are usually foreign (though lineups often change). And A&M carries three foreigners on its roster, including Ante Matijevic and Khaled El Dorry, who both play key roles.

Hereís an idea, too. Considering whatís going on around our planet right now, why donít we cheer them all on?

Had the NCAA menís championship been underway Saturday, the Bryan-College Station community might have embarrased itself with so many racist comments being lobbed at the Baylor players. Jokes about Germans (Baylor has three Germans on its roster) seemed to be the most popular.

We hear so often that Aggie fans are the classiest in the Big 12. Saturday, many of them were not.

Perhaps tennis fans in the area donít realize it, but in about a month, we will welcome the world of college tennis to Aggieland. Much of that world consists of foreigners, players like Aggie Dumitru Caradima and, technically speaking, the legendary Shuon Madden.

Fortunately, both Knoll and A&M coach Tim Cass acted a bit upset over the way some of the fans acted. Both were also classy about the touchy issue of foreign players in college tennis, discussing it upfront with the media without any hesitation.

Cassí only gripe here is legitimate. Just like Aggie quarterback Mark Farris cannot play baseball because he played minor league ball, Cass believes professional tennis players should not be allowed to play college tennis.

As of now, the rule seems to be fuzzy, leaving it open for coaches to police themselves or ignore it.

Both Knoll and Cass have players who have competed in professional tournaments. Their players are allowed to do so as amateurs, the same as college golfers are allowed to play in the U.S. Open or any other professioinal tournament.

The subject exhausts Knoll, but he graciously discussed it after Saturdayís match. In the process, he threw out a decent little idea.

Rather that using his 4-3 victory over Texas A&M and the subsequent Big 12 regular season title to lord it over the conference, Knoll asked the state of Texas to come together and fight the evil empire of college tennis, the four armies of Mordor that will descend upon College Station in the upcoming NCAA menís championships.

If A&M plays Georgia, root for the Aggies. If Texas plays Stanford, suck it up and root for the Longhorns. If Baylor faces UCLA, swallow some of that Aggie pride and be a Texan by rooting for the Bears. And if Texas Christian or Southern Methodist have to tackle Southern California, donít be afraid to put your hands together for some old Southwest Conference brethren.

ďIím hoping that we will all cheer for each other,Ē Knoll said. ďWhen A&Mís [playing], Iím going to hope our fans go out and jump up and down for the Aggies. When Texas is playing, TCU, SMU, whoeverís here, I hope itís vice-versa because thatís healthy. Thatís a championship mentality.Ē

To beat out Georgia, Stanford, UCLA and USC for a national championship will probably take more than that. The four are the lords of menís college tennis, and they own every title ring forged under the current team format.

To steal one from them might take some Texas hospitality, spoken in any language.

Robert Premeaux Jr.ís e-mail address is rpremeaux@theeagle.com (rpremeaux@theeagle.com)

bearoc
05-18-05, 04:41 PM
How does a tennis player "hook"?

Wacoso
05-18-05, 05:07 PM
That's where they say the ball was out and it wasn't.

Just look who wrote that piece, our good friend Premeaux.

bearoc
05-18-05, 05:13 PM

Don't they have refs or something?

I noticed Robert's name on there. Big dumbass.

Wacoso
05-18-05, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but sometimes it isn't overruled which is what assmaster Pre is accusing us of back then. So little he knows.

Bruin88
05-18-05, 06:14 PM
:cry:

bu03
05-18-05, 06:20 PM
While I think Premeaux is generally an idiot, that is overall a good article. He does seem to chastise the aggy fans more than Knoll, and goes out fo his way to point out that foreign players are a major part of every successful college tennis program.

That said, Cass' gripe in NOT legitimate. There is a simple solution...change the rules. Certainly the NCAA is well aware of the issue. But until they actually do something about it, I for one am glad that we have a coach who knows the limits of the rules, and gets the most out of what he can do while remaining in compliance.

I wouldn't trade the "Dark Lord" for anyone.

BearChick
05-18-05, 07:53 PM
One, I've missed Premeaux so. Really. Really.

Does someone want to send this over to the reporter for the Boise State rag? Seems their troller was all up in arms about international tennis players earlier this week.

Wacoso
05-18-05, 07:54 PM
This was written in 2002.

Pigeon
05-18-05, 09:26 PM
Good to hear that everyone feels the same way about Premeaux. Aggies absolutely despise the guy. He is the anti-homer and always sees the worst in all things A&M. I always figured he was a regular poster at Baylorfans. ;)

beardoc
05-18-05, 10:34 PM
If the aggies thought he was the dark lord then, they must really hate him now. Maybe the initial article was Premeaux-ture.

Ty McNeely
05-19-05, 01:34 AM

That's absolutely hilarious, considering when we played aggie and stomped the $h!t out of them, Dorsch was calling some VERY questionable shots in, while their f@g Jerry was calling line shots out. Needless to say, the crowd was up in arms over some of "Jerry's" hooks.

Starr ChamBear
05-19-05, 09:17 AM
Knoll is a Sith?

Pls. Advise.

Wooldogg
05-19-05, 10:16 AM
We hear so often that Aggie fans are the classiest in the Big 12.
heh-heh..heh-heh...hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! !!!!
[deep breath]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! !!!!
[cough/fart]

ahh... I needed that.

adubya
05-19-05, 02:48 PM
I like that cough/fart after the laughs...:lol:

BPREMEAUX
06-13-05, 12:49 PM
Personally - I Enjoy Premeaux's Columns - But I Am Biased.
Robert Premeaux Sr.

Tiny Elvis
06-14-05, 12:55 PM
Completely understandable, RP Sr.! I just hope Jr. hasn't swallowed too much of the maroon Kool-Aid!

beardoc
06-14-05, 01:25 PM
Knoll is a Sith?

Pls. Advise.
Only to our dyslexic aggie friends.

BaylorLine
06-14-05, 03:02 PM
We hear so often that Aggie fans are the classiest in the Big 12.

What? Outside of aggy, who says this?

CorsicanaBear
06-14-05, 03:27 PM
Only wish our football program were so dominant that Morriss was considered a Dark Lord that people were sure could only win that many times by cheating.