PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 track show on FSN

GarlandBear84
05-20-05, 06:00 PM
I just caught the end of Big 12 Showcase on FSN and they were showing highlights of the conference meet. I was amazed at how far Darold was behind when he got the stick in the 4x400. TT had a large lead (10-15 meters) and Jonathon Johnson (800 meter champ) on the anchor. Darold started gaining ground quickly aroung the last curve and straightaway. He caught him near the end and won by about a meter. Darold is one of the best around at catching up. He is ideally suited for the anchor leg as he wouldn't run nearly as fast if he wasn't behind. FSN is supposed to show the entire meet sometime soon. If anyone knows when please let us know.

LaVerite
05-21-05, 09:18 AM
Garland,

do you happen to know his split in this race?

GarlandBear84
05-21-05, 10:33 AM
No, I never saw it published, but it is probably sub 45.

sedonabear1
05-21-05, 11:22 AM
No, I never saw it published, but it is probably sub 45.

It was 43. something

Juncbear
05-21-05, 11:41 AM
It was 43. something

I saw Darold's anchor leg this morning on the "Big 12 Showcase." His split was 44.16.

GarlandBear84
05-21-05, 12:12 PM
Smokin'! No doubt it could have been faster if TT had been a little farther ahead of him.

midgett
05-21-05, 03:56 PM
I agree with you that Darold runs great from behind. He is amazing.

I am usually not a fan of running an 800m runner on the anchor even the caliber of Johnson. The 800 is usually near the end of the meet so the rest period is short. I recall Derwin Graham, among others, really straining the last 100m of their leg. We ran Derwin 2nd. That gave Johnny Thomas a chance to catch up and give Willie Caldwell the baton with the lead.

The 400 Hurdles is also near the end of the meet and we had success with Paul Montgomery at the anchor. I don't know the difference except the race is shorter and there may be some excitement for the runner of not having to run over any hurdles.

tbear34
05-21-05, 08:20 PM
I don't know the difference except the race is shorter and there may be some excitement for the runner of not having to run over any hurdles. :lol:

We definitely need some more Q-milers next year. Darold did an incredible job coming from so far behind. Boy it did my heart so good to see him catch and put away that tech guy.

Fox gave us really good coverage, I thought, as I mentioned in another post.

Men were very short on depth.

The women did an outstanding job, I thought. I sure hate to see LaKadron go. You are a great on dear. Thanks for a tremendous effort.

midgett
05-21-05, 09:13 PM
Wow! Johnson had a HUGE lead. At the last exchange I thought that GB84 had been exaggerating about Johnson's lead. He must have been describing the lead at after 150 meters. I bet it was at least 15 meters. With 150 to go, Darold ignited his jets and walked him down.

I'll give Johnson credit. It's very tough for an 800m runner to turn right back around and run an anchor (heck, just run in the relay), particularly with his 1:45 time. Even when Johnson is obviously tired, he manages to maintain pretty good turnover and doesn't slow down too much. He is a very talented 800 runner. Most 800 guys running the relay run like Will did. He ran great for 600 meters but the effort from the 800 and the more inherent speed of 200/440 runners is a tough mix. He tires down the homestretch.

Darold is a very special 400 meter runner. It is rare to see a "kick" in a lap race at these levels. I've seen Darold do it at least twice.

By coincidence, I was flipping between the meet and the Preakness. I had watched Afleet Alex repeatedly in slowmo on Tivo after that amazing victory. To almost fall and really lose his burst and STILL pull away is incredible. On the replay, Afleet noticably turned it on at about the same curve of the track as Darold did in the relay. The similarities are striking. Two speedsters in a very competitive race able to find a gear the competition absolutely did not have. Some thoroughbred owner needs to name his horse Fleet Darold. It'll win the Derby with a shocking kick.

Thanks for posting the showing. I caught the second hour and wouldn't have known about it without the kind folks who posted it. Thanks.

tbear34
05-21-05, 09:17 PM
My final prediction: Pepperdine is going to pull this match out. Malibu magic!

Roy Rogers
05-22-05, 10:14 PM
When Darrold got the baton, I didn't think there was any way. He just smoked the field. That leg was truly amazing.

Goldigger
05-23-05, 06:11 AM
tbear34, you mentioned trying to get more Quarter milers next year. We are getting three that can come in and potentially contribute immediately.

1) David Gettis. As of May 15, he has a 46.8 ranking him #3 nationally.

2) R.J. Anderson from Key West, FL signed with us last week and he has run 47.47 ranking him #10 nationally.

3) Quentin Summers from San Antonio Madison was ranked #16 nationally at 47.6, but ran 47.49 at state which would vault him to #11 nationally.

Of note is LaGerald Betters, a Junior from Waco High who ran 46.60 and won state. That time would move him from #17 nationally as of May 15, to #3 Nationally, just ahead of Gettis. I would hope we are all over this kid too.

Interestingly, I split SA Madison's mile relay at state. Summers ran 45.93 on the anchor, and look REALLY good. This is a faster spplit than any of Baylor's legs at Big XIIs other than Darolds. He reminded me alot of Stephan Bragner who always hauled ass when he got a stick in his hands. They were just too far behind after their third leg ran 50.01. It would've taken sub 44 to take the lead.

GarlandBear84
05-23-05, 11:07 AM
Golddigger, thanks for the info! Here is a tidbit I found on Gettis from a meet in early April:
Dorsey took the US#1 ranking with a blazing 3:11.49 including a 45.8 anchor by open 400 champion David Gettis.
http://www.dyestat.com/3us/5out/arcadia/pix/mvp-casper600.jpg

GarlandBear84
05-23-05, 11:27 AM
This is from Track & Field News:
May 2005 Issue

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/asset/cover_art/200505_md.jpgHere’s a sampling of the exciting stuff you'll find in the May issue of T&FN, which just rolled off the presses.

buy the May T&FN on-line (http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=books_general&keywords=&next=20#200505)The Year Of The Quartermiler
An agent for several elite pros said it as as we could in a recent e-mail to T&FN: “Hold on–hold on–hold on. The 400m is back in a big way.”

So true, and there is no time like spring—the season of baton carries—for setting up the open showdowns to come and igniting the imagination of the fans.…

“There were some pretty good ones before,” says Baylor coach Clyde Hart—who, having guided World Record holder Michael Johnson then and Jeremy Wariner now, has the perspective of time.

“Quincy Watts, the great UCLA kids, Michael was emerging.” You can add Butch Reynolds, who held the WR for 11 years, to Hart’s list. “But there was a gap in there where we were producing one really good one, two at most.”

Some call that “gap” the Michael Johnson era. MJ was so big in the event—and not chopped liver over 200 either—that, like a great white shark in the ocean, he drove the smaller predators away. Or so the thinking goes.
“Now we’ve got good young guns out there with the veterans,” Hart says…

Wariner Suddenly The Grizzled Vet
When Jeremy Wariner last ran under his sport’s biggest spotlight, he was the young gun.

Barely eight months ago, the too-good-for-his age 20-year-old was the world’s long-sprint darling, blasting his way to Olympic golds in the 400 and 4x4 in Athens, setting him up for a potential long run of stardom.

Then he went back to the classroom at Baylor, took half a year off from competition and returned as an old man.

During the Texan’s break, 18-year-old LaShawn Merritt and 19-year-old Kerron Clement turned in spectacular indoor performances in the 400, grabbing the headlines and perhaps ushering in a golden age for the event in America.

Jeremy who? Well, at 21, he’s not quite washed up yet. As he dips his toe back into competition…

Pale Rider
05-23-05, 11:46 AM
tbear34, you mentioned trying to get more Quarter milers next year. We are getting three that can come in and potentially contribute immediately.

2) R.J. Anderson from Key West, FL signed with us last week and he has run 47.47 ranking him #10 nationally.

3) Quentin Summers from San Antonio Madison was ranked #16 nationally at 47.6, but ran 47.49 at state which would vault him to #11 nationally.

Of note is LaGerald Betters, a Junior from Waco High who ran 46.60 and won state. That time would move him from #17 nationally as of May 15, to #3 Nationally, just ahead of Gettis. I would hope we are all over this kid too.

Interestingly, I split SA Madison's mile relay at state. Summers ran 45.93 on the anchor, and look REALLY good. This is a faster spplit than any of Baylor's legs at Big XIIs other than Darolds. He reminded me alot of Stephan Bragner who always hauled ass when he got a stick in his hands. They were just too far behind after their third leg ran 50.01. It would've taken sub 44 to take the lead.

Thanks a bunch Golddigger, that is music to my ears; uh, eyes!

In all respect to Will Fitts I will be glad to get back to using quarter milers in the relay instead of 800 meter guys.

the future looks extremely bright even with Darold leaving. Boy it has been a ture pleasure having Darold for four years. Thank you DW for all the great times. And I mean that literally. :bounce: :bow: :bounce:

SicEmBears
05-23-05, 01:43 PM
Anderson was reported to have run a 46.1 relay split, as per signing day info.

Preyst
05-23-05, 04:09 PM
Rider...we've had an 800 meter runner on the relay since the mid-90's. Damian Davis until 98 or so, then Floyd Thompson up until 2002, and now Wil Fitts. The only year in recent history we haven't had one was in 2003, the year we were shut out of anything involving the 400. In fact, one of Coach Hart's philosophies is to run either a 400m hurdler or half-miler on the relay because of their strength.

BU Chaparral
05-23-05, 09:36 PM

Goldigger don't know nothing...... Evidently there is a Hispanic kid from the Dallas area who is staging a come back. He is aiming to run a low 46. Rumor has it.... he's fought his way down to a slim 220 lbs and is ready to rumble!

More info to come....
;)

tbear34
05-23-05, 10:17 PM
Rider...we've had an 800 meter runner on the relay since the mid-90's. Damian Davis until 98 or so, then Floyd Thompson up until 2002, and now Wil Fitts. The only year in recent history we haven't had one was in 2003, the year we were shut out of anything involving the 400. In fact, one of Coach Hart's philosophies is to run either a 400m hurdler or half-miler on the relay because of their strength.

I have often wondered why this is the case when the 800 and the 400 Intermed. hurdles are run so close to the relay, reletively. It makes for some extremely short recovery time for those athletes.

I would never question coach Hart, obviously, but I would think if you had another good Q-miler you would prefer to run him rather than an 800 guy.

Wil, bless his heart, is good and tries hard, but for goodness sakes he is running in Jeremy's spot this year and it makes it real tough to lose ground or not gain any on that third leg.

I am as excited as I can be to see us sign some additional Q-milers that appear from their times to be excellent prospects. :flash:

midgett
05-23-05, 10:30 PM
Goldigger don't know nothing...... Evidently there is a Hispanic kid from the Dallas area who is staging a come back. He is aiming to run a low 46. Rumor has it.... he's fought his way down to a slim 220 lbs and is ready to rumble!

More info to come....
;)

I'm not Hispanic. It's a low 64, not 46. I never weighed 220. Since my injury, I have slimmed from 216 to 204. I'm outta eligibility so I wouldn't get too excited. :D :D

I just want a piece of Simpdog and his tender hams (sprinters are soft!) at Luke's. He's lucky I won't be there this year. He don't want none of this.

BU Chaparral
05-24-05, 11:35 AM
I'm not Hispanic. It's a low 64, not 46. I never weighed 220. Since my injury, I have slimmed from 216 to 204. I'm outta eligibility so I wouldn't get too excited. :D :D

I just want a piece of Simpdog and his tender hams (sprinters are soft!) at Luke's. He's lucky I won't be there this year. He don't want none of this.

LOL....

Truth be know.... it would be a low 74 for the guy we're thinking of!

Last time Simpson and I traded emails, he was doing pretty well on the track. Pretty impressive actually...

Goldigger
05-25-05, 06:37 AM
That fella from the Dallas area likes to wear really small shorts b/c it adds to the intensity. Further it's intimidating to see those supple hammies. His 15 children are in charge of pushing the crash cart. His secret to athletic success? A mixture of Big Red and Vodka. Taste this sh-t!

On the 1600m relay note, our 800m runers have run very, very well over the years. In fact, in 1997 we had 2 800m runners on a very fast team. 1:47 800m runner Darrin Strong was the anchor on a team that was the victim of the Jamaican Bobsled team from Oklahoma. Darrin made the finals at NCAAs that year in the 800 and came back and anchored the mile relay. Same at Conference. That team had 400m runner Damien Smith of Waco High running lead off in mid 46, 800m runner Brandon Terry of South Oak Cliff running second in 45 high, Stephan Bragner (400m runner from Pflugerville) running third in 44 high/45 flat, and Strong running anchor splitting Middle 44s (A ridiculous 44.1 at Big Twelves in Waco). Unfortunately OU had the NCAA 400m champ running anchor and Strong still almost ran him down at Big XIIs. We ran 3:02 flat and got beat. What to do?

Buchapparral remembers the sick splits (mid to low 45s) that 800m school record holder Terrell Davis used to run in the early 1990s. Sub 1:50 800m runners Corey Williams and Daniel Fredericks also ran 45 splits in the early 1990s. Thus, Baylor has had a rich history of 800m runners producing on National Championship caliber1600m relay teams. Unfortunately Fitts may not have the footspeed of some of these other fellas.

Preyst
05-25-05, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately Fitts may not have the footspeed of some of these other fellas.

That he doesn't, but he makes up for some of it with his strength. To be able to run 1:47 high and then come back and split 45-mid hours later is a testament to that. I really think that when the guys start to sharpen up and get their legs completely fresh we'll be in the race at nationals. It really depends on Wil and how well he can come back from 3 rounds of the 800.

Goldigger
05-25-05, 08:36 AM
When did Fitts split mid 45? I agree that his strength is his advantage, but after seeing the tape, he split 46 at best at conference. We are giving up a full second to Florida and LSU on that leg. But one thing is for sure though -- our guys are ready at NCAAs. I agree that we will be in that race.

robby44
05-25-05, 08:48 AM
I agree with you that Darold runs great from behind. He is amazing.

I am usually not a fan of running an 800m runner on the anchor even the caliber of Johnson. The 800 is usually near the end of the meet so the rest period is short. I recall Derwin Graham, among others, really straining the last 100m of their leg. We ran Derwin 2nd. That gave Johnny Thomas a chance to catch up and give Willie Caldwell the baton with the lead.

Midgett
That anchor by Darold was a thing of beauty.

That relay team you referenced above was so enjoyalble to watch. I'll never forget the 3:00.84 they ran at Nationals in '85

Preyst
05-25-05, 11:00 AM
He split 45-mid at both Oklahoma and Drake...both after 800's.

Goldigger
05-25-05, 03:54 PM
Oh, ok. That's fast. I thought you were referencing the conference 4x400.

BU Chaparral
05-25-05, 07:57 PM
That fella from the Dallas area likes to wear really small shorts b/c it adds to the intensity. Further it's intimidating to see those supple hammies. His 15 children are in charge of pushing the crash cart. His secret to athletic success? A mixture of Big Red and Vodka. Taste this sh-t!

On the 1600m relay note, our 800m runers have run very, very well over the years. In fact, in 1997 we had 2 800m runners on a very fast team. 1:47 800m runner Darrin Strong was the anchor on a team that was the victim of the Jamaican Bobsled team from Oklahoma. Darrin made the finals at NCAAs that year in the 800 and came back and anchored the mile relay. Same at Conference. That team had 400m runner Damien Smith of Waco High running lead off in mid 46, 800m runner Brandon Terry of South Oak Cliff running second in 45 high, Stephan Bragner (400m runner from Pflugerville) running third in 44 high/45 flat, and Strong running anchor splitting Middle 44s (A ridiculous 44.1 at Big Twelves in Waco). Unfortunately OU had the NCAA 400m champ running anchor and Strong still almost ran him down at Big XIIs. We ran 3:02 flat and got beat. What to do?

Buchapparral remembers the sick splits (mid to low 45s) that 800m school record holder Terrell Davis used to run in the early 1990s. Sub 1:50 800m runners Corey Williams and Daniel Fredericks also ran 45 splits in the early 1990s. Thus, Baylor has had a rich history of 800m runners producing on National Championship caliber1600m relay teams. Unfortunately Fitts may not have the footspeed of some of these other fellas.

I ****ing fell out of my chair on that one!!!!

Terrell was amazing. So much talent! That ******* still owes me money for the electricity bill in '94. Where is he anyway?

midgett
05-25-05, 10:33 PM
Goldigger: Great info. Thanks. The Jamican Bobsled reference is hilarious.

BU Chaparral: Simpdog keeps up with the young sprinters in the area. The ones that have raced in the previous week always have a nervous look about them. They can't wait to beat him but are intimidated by the fact they will likely lose yet again to a 37 (now 38) year-old white boy. He's still got it. His son has the genes, too.

Goldigger
05-26-05, 07:37 AM
BU Chap,

He lives in Hutto. I'll give him your address. I'm sure he'll get right on that.

BTW --- latest hangover cure. Run mile repeat course from convention center to cameron park all out. Hurl at half mile mark. Keep going without breaking stride (this is key). Collapse. Have BK provide you with 32 oz. of Gatorade, and 4 advil chased with a Natty Light at redwood shelter and you're cured! Hypothetically of course.

BU Chaparral
05-26-05, 10:11 AM
BU Chap,

He lives in Hutto. I'll give him your address. I'm sure he'll get right on that.

BTW --- latest hangover cure. Run mile repeat course from convention center to cameron park all out. Hurl at half mile mark. Keep going without breaking stride (this is key). Collapse. Have BK provide you with 32 oz. of Gatorade, and 4 advil chased with a Natty Light at redwood shelter and you're cured! Hypothetically of course.

Tell that ******* he still owes me $70..... ;) I still remember when Clyde had to track him down b/c he was 3 months late on rent. Guess who our landlord was.... Dick Ellis! Who knew.... I thought he was just asleep in his room the whole time. Man, that guy could sleep. 12 to 16 hrs a day.... It was his favorite sport.