PDA

View Full Version : Uefa Final!

caseman
05-20-05, 11:39 PM
AC Milan will get killed. Believe that. Does anyone besides me care? (been a diehard Liverpool fan since 1983 or so)

Drink Carlsberg! Go Reds! Michael Owen sucks! ABU! (anyone but United!) You'll Never Walk Alone!

tbear34
05-21-05, 09:09 PM
I care case.

when I lived in the San francisco Bay area, I received the English Premier League on cable. My son and I would watch it regularly. he played soccer since his he was seven, all the way through high school. I coached him for seven yrs. I don't get the Premier League or anything else except MLS down here in Bakersfield.

when the World Cup comes around ( next year) 2006; my son and I get up at all hours of the night to watch the matches live.

We both loved to watch the Premier league. It miss watching it with him. I hate to say it but we were always partial to Manchester United. I guess we just loved a winner. :flash:

Hornfan
05-21-05, 10:28 PM
Arsenal defeated ManU today in the FA Cup final. It was 0-0 thru extra time. Arsenal won 5-4 on penalty kicks. ManU had the same problem that hurt them all year-they dominated the game but could not get the ball in the net.
Did you see the UEFA Cup final between Sporting Lisbon and CSKA Moskova? CSKA made a remarkable comeback in the 2nd half to win 3-1.
Yeah, I think Liverpool will win the Champions League final also.

I don't really have a favorite team-I just love to watch soccer. EPL, Bundisliga, Copa Libertadores, high school, doesn't matter. Except MLS-I just can't get into it.

tbear34
05-21-05, 10:40 PM
Except MLS-I just can't get into it.

Feel exactly the same way; although I have been to a couple of games. My son and I attended the first game the San Jose Earthquakes played in Spartan Stadium. I saw Eric Welynda's (sp?) first goal of MLS.

I wish I got the Premier league down here, but I already watch too much sports anyway.

caseman
05-21-05, 10:51 PM
I like FC Dallas. They are fun to watch because they create a lot of offense w Eddie Johnson and that guy from Honduras (forgot his name).

I also don't dislike Man U as much as I dislike Arsenal...or Real Madrid. talk about the Yankees of european soccer.

I would pay 250 a year for every premier league game if I still had DISH. As it is now, I still enjoy ESPN2's coverage, and even that of ESPN Deportes (which shows a live game or rerun about 4 times a week).

I also like Aston Villa and USED to like Nottingham Forest, although they are about to drop AGAIN :( They have the coolest uniforms in all of sports, though (maybe besides only the Cincinnati Bengals)

caseman
05-21-05, 10:55 PM
BTW, I watched every US world cup game live, going a few times with a friend to either Cafe Brazil or Mikes Half Yard House. Once (and I was taking 9 hours of grad school and working full time, mind you), I stayed up all night watching a rerun of US-Mexico, England -Spain(?) and then the live match of Germany-USA...then I went to work, then I had a test at 6 that night (which I received a 92 on) then, that night, another game was on, something like Argentina-France or something, and I stayed up to watch it.

I can't wait until 2006.

Hornfan
05-21-05, 11:03 PM
I've watched so much EPL on Fox Soccer Channel that I am starting to talk like them....."Chelsea ARE the champions.........". "Arsenal ARE putting on a clinic today....."

I love to watch South American soccer because their fans NEVER shut up, especially Boca Juniors'.
But I think it would be unnerving to have to take a corner surrounded by riot police holding up plastic shields.....

caseman
05-21-05, 11:09 PM
Hornfan---have you ever played an XBOX or PS2 FIFA soccer game? The commentary they have on there is about the funniest thing you'll ever hear. John Motson continues to repeat his condescending stuff about the players who mess up. It is hilarious.

I was semi-glad for Chelsea. They have really sucked in years past. My dream is to go to an Italian Serie A game or an English Premier Game. My best friend and I have plans to go to Europe after my grad school and hiis schooling is over, and trust me, at least 5 european soccer games will be on the agenda.

marcusdean
05-22-05, 08:46 AM
caseman,

you´re on crack. liverpool has had a fairytale run, but they will get owned by AC Milan (I hate this team by the way).

Myself, I am getting warmed up for el clasico argentino (boca vs river plate) that starts at 1pm CST.

In Lima, where I live, I have born witness to a few games where the riot police have been used. Crazy ****.............

caseman
05-22-05, 10:52 AM
Liverpool's problem is their lack of offense (thanks Michael Owen aka smack addict). They did beat Juventus, however, 1-0 in the aggregate score. If they can play their normal game of reinforcing the defense with an extra midfielder and sweeper, and somehow will a goal in the early going, they can beat AC Milan. I am not certain, but I think Ac Milan lost a couple of times to Juventus this year. It is not impossible.

Not much myself for Latin soccer. Don't like Argentina or Colombia or Mexico. Don't know much about Peruvian or Brazilian soccer clubs. Plus, I don't like to have to translate while only knowing simple convo spanish. It wears me down watching the games because I know just enough to get the gist of what they are saying, but not enough to fully understand.

tbear34
05-22-05, 03:04 PM
case you sound just like my son. he has the same dream of going to europe and watching a match. no one has mentioned Ajax, my favorite team in europe. I can't wait for 2006.

isn't the Cup going to be in Germany? I love the national teams. my favorites are: Holland, Brazil, England, and of course the good old USA!

The "X" Factor
05-22-05, 05:07 PM
PSV got screwed and should have been in the final agianst Liverpool.

The turks hate the english so expect a very pro Milan crowd in Istanbul.

EnglishBear
05-24-05, 03:18 PM
I see a 2-1 win for Milan. An early goal from Shevchenko, then I think an inspiring tie goal from Djibril Cisse (the guy has come back from a nasty broken leg suffered during the season) but Shevchenko's just too good. He scores a heartbreaker in the last ten minutes.

2 other guys to watch--Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, rumored to be leaving the team, and Milan's fullback Cafu, who has been very weak of late.

bularry
05-24-05, 04:39 PM
you guys should force yourself to watch some MLS. I know it isn't as exciting as EPL, but if you watch a few matches (like I have) you start identifying with the players and the games become more enjoyable.

face it, soccer fans ain't real plentiful so if we want a US league to survive, the few here need to support the MLS.

NOVA Bear
05-24-05, 05:53 PM
Wow! I'm suprised there are some soccer fans around here. bularry is right. MLS is actually quite entertaining. The US game has more emphasis on entertaining soccer. Europe has better talent, but is willing to do anything to win. I have been a season ticket holder for DC United from the get go. Now I'll admit that I was very spoiled in their early years when they were head and shoulders above the rest, but aside from stadium atmosphere, the matches are pretty good. MLS gets better each year and is as good as the English Championship.

marcusdean
05-24-05, 11:41 PM
I see a 2-1 win for Milan. An early goal from Shevchenko, then I think an inspiring tie goal from Djibril Cisse (the guy has come back from a nasty broken leg suffered during the season) but Shevchenko's just too good. He scores a heartbreaker in the last ten minutes.

2 other guys to watch--Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, rumored to be leaving the team, and Milan's fullback Cafu, who has been very weak of late.

I agree. shevchenko is an absolute bad ass; he is always scoring.

I do hope kaka somehow finds himself in an unfortunate accident.

caseman
05-25-05, 12:14 AM
Gerrard is the heart and soul of Liverpool. I can't say that I am a big AC Milan fan (actually liked Roma since I took them to a Serie A championship on FIFA 05 on xbox)

Liverpool has made it thus far by playing defense and then relying on counterattacks. The last two goals they scored occurred because of a Juventus or a Chelsea player and the counterattack was on.

Liverpool was money on set plays from indirect or direct penalty kicks. I hope to see one or more of those working out for the Reds!

MLS is a lot of fun. I watch all of FC Dallas' games at least so far this season. We are really exciting and have a potent offense. We lost Kreis but gained Eddie Johnson. Good tradeoff. Ruiz is also a firecracker on his set up passes. Awesome.

I am about to lose it thinking about the World Cup next year. It is coinciding with my best friend and my European 2 week backpacking tour. Went to the game in 94 at teh Cotton Bowl. Best sporting event I have ever attended. I'll look for any USA, English or French game.

Fuzzy Wuzzy
05-25-05, 07:58 AM
I watched my first MLS game in a long time the other night when FC Dallas played Chivas USA. I thought it was very entertaining-- at least that game was.

Any votes for Valencia?? Bayern Munchen??

FW

khmerbear
05-25-05, 09:12 AM
If you guys want the best soccer/futbol game for the PS2 and I guess XBox you have to get Winning 11 Seven. It puts FIFA to shame.

Congrats to my Gunners

Prediction-AC by 3 (Liverpool dosent belong in this match).

glunday
05-25-05, 12:52 PM
AC MILAN 1 -- LIVERPOOL 0

A gola in the 2nd minute of play. Bad start for the English side

Lonnie75
05-25-05, 01:35 PM
3-0 AC Milan at half

Lonnie75
05-25-05, 01:59 PM
WOW...it is now 3-2 AC Milan in the 56th minute.

Lonnie75
05-25-05, 02:03 PM
Now Liverpool gets a penalty kick...

and the game is TIED in the 60th minute.

Yogi
05-25-05, 02:24 PM
My baby takes the morning train,
she works from 9 to 5 and then
and she takes another home again to find me...watching the Manchester United football team! The best football team in all the land!, woohoo!

Lebowski
05-25-05, 02:42 PM
> 1-0 down
> 2-1 up
> Michael Owen won the cup
> With a top class Paddy pass gave the lad the ball
> Poor old arsenal won f*ck all

> If I had the wings of a sparrow,
> If I had the arse of a crow,
> Id fly over man U tomorrow,
> And sh*t on the b*st*rds below.

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:16 PM
Penalty Kicks!!!

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:21 PM
AC Milan misses the net 1st kick!!!

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:22 PM
Liverpool Score 1-0 LP

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:23 PM
AC Milan SAVE!!!!!!

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:23 PM
Liverpool up 1...SCORE!!!!!!! 2-0

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:24 PM
Milan... SCORES 2-1

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:25 PM
Save 2-1 after 3 kicks

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:26 PM
AC Milan scores and ties it 2-2

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:27 PM
Liverpool...SCORES 3-2

ISUMatt
05-25-05, 03:28 PM
SAVE LIVERPOOL wins the UEFA CUP!!! 3-3 (3-2 pk)

marcusdean
05-25-05, 04:14 PM
wow!!!!

I'll eat crow on this one........what a shocker!!!

NOVA Bear
05-25-05, 05:05 PM
SAVE LIVERPOOL wins the UEFA CUP!!! 3-3 (3-2 pk)
Well, it's actually the European Cup (or Champion's League). CSKA Moscow won the UEFA Cup last week (another upset, especially since Sporting was the home team). :wink2:

Hornfan
05-25-05, 10:54 PM
Sounds like it was a barnburner. Wish I could have seen it. Stupid job.......

Nova, did you see the UEFA Cup Final? That throwout by the CSKA keeper when Sporting missed the leveler was about the best play I have seen all year. Troy never threw a better pass to Irvin than that strike to set up the 3rd goal. Just perfect.

El Oso
05-25-05, 11:29 PM
first he beats cancer and now this

Caseman's havin a hell of a week

El Oso
05-26-05, 09:10 AM
replay on espn classic from 10PM-1AM tonite

Pale Rider
05-26-05, 11:30 AM
first he beats cancer and now this

Caseman's havin a hell of a week

God helped him beat cancer. If you don't believe me, ask case. :bow:

NOVA Bear
05-27-05, 04:42 PM
Sounds like it was a barnburner. Wish I could have seen it. Stupid job.......

Nova, did you see the UEFA Cup Final? That throwout by the CSKA keeper when Sporting missed the leveler was about the best play I have seen all year. Troy never threw a better pass to Irvin than that strike to set up the 3rd goal. Just perfect.

I did watch the match. That's one of the weird things about soccer. Sporting really did play better, but still lost. The play by the CSKA keeper was truely outstanding. I really think the no-back pass rule an and the 6 second release has forced keepers to improve their distribution skills (with both feet and hands).

BUG61
05-28-05, 11:36 AM
Had no idea so many were EPL fans. I became Liverpool fan in 98 Cup when Michael made that goal. Would've joined this thread earlier but last Sat managed to break my back; operation Wedsday fixed it with epoxy. Taped the game and watched it Thursday. Never walk alone!

tbear34
05-28-05, 11:55 AM
Had no idea so many were EPL fans. I became Liverpool fan in 98 Cup when Michael made that goal. Would've joined this thread earlier but last Sat managed to break my back; operation Wedsday fixed it with epoxy. Taped the game and watched it Thursday. Never walk alone!

Wow, I say a prayer for your healing dude. :bow: