PDA

View Full Version : Wariner wins Adidas Classic today

GarlandBear84
05-22-05, 07:57 PM
Olympic champion Jeremy Wariner won the men's 400 meters in 44.53 seconds with key rival and Olympic silver medallist Otis Harris trailing in last after appearing to be unsettled by a false start.

"I felt great the whole race," said the 22-year-old Wariner, adding the hot sunshine did not bother him as he was used to similar conditions when training in Texas.

txkypreacherskid
05-23-05, 07:59 AM
Congrats to Jeremy!! :flash:

turk4037
05-23-05, 09:41 AM
Andrew Rock came in second running under 45.00. I like watching that kid run too.

Greene loses; Wariner, Felix win at Adidas Track Classic

By Beth Harris, The Associated Press
CARSON, Calif. Three weeks after running the fastest 100-meter time in the world this year, Maurice Greene could only watch as training partner Leonard Scott and three other runners put distance between him.
http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gifhttp://images.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/_photos/2005-05-22-scott-greene-in.jpghttp://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gifMaurice Greene, left, is unable to keep up with eventual 100m winner and training partner Leonard Scott.http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gifBy Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAYScott overcame two false starts and a strong headwind to win in 10.03 seconds at the Adidas Track Classic on Sunday.

Greene's starting blocks slipped and he wound up fourth in 10.32 well off the winning time of 10.03 he ran April 30 in Martinique.

"It was a long day for me," he said. "I didn't get a good start, so I was out of the race from the beginning. You just have to live with it."

Greene was smiling even though he had to reset his blocks after each false start. He led out of the blocks on the first false start and wanted that one to count.

"It would have been a very different race," he said. "I was ready to run fast."

It was a good day for Olympic champion Jeremy Wariner, who won the 400, and Olympic 200 silver medalist Allyson Felix, who won her specialty.

Terrence Trammell, the 110 hurdles winner, was second to Scott in 10.17. Jason Smoots was third in 10.32 and John Capel fifth in 10.34. Capel triggered the first false start, then Aaron Armstrong was disqualified on the second one.

The meet featured several Olympic medalists in a preview of the U.S. championships, to be held at Home Depot Stadium on June 23-26.

"I'll bring my own set of blocks and I know they'll stick," Greene said.

Greene, a two-time champion in Carson, said his preparations are on track for the national meet, which serves as the qualifier for the world championships in August in Finland.

"I'm just looking forward to the rest of the season," he said.

Scott capitalized on a strong start and dominated through the stretch. He and Greene train in Los Angeles with the HSI group under coach John Smith.

"I did a good job of keeping my composure," he said.

A strong breeze helped ease unseasonably hot temperatures in the upper 80s. The announced crowd was 10,723.

After a false start, Wariner won the 400 in 44.53, fastest in the world this year.

The Texan is coming off a stunning year in which he was the NCAA and Olympic champion. Andrew Rock was second in 44.86 and Brandon Simpson was third in 45.25. Otis Harris, the Olympic silver medalist, was last in the nine-man field.

"People are coming after me this year. I'm the Olympic gold medalist," he said. "I look at that as motivation. I can improve in a lot of different parts of my race."

Felix also is coming off her first year competing on the international level. The Southern California freshman won the 200 in a world-best 22.14, barely edging a deep field.

Lauryn Williams, the Olympic silver medalist in the 100, was second in 22.27. Olympian Latasha Colander was third in 22.39.

"I tried to get out hard and relax coming off the turn, then rely on my strength to come home," Felix said. "I feel like I have a whole lot more left. A time like that is setting me up great for the rest of the year."

Olympic champion Joanna Hayes won the 100 hurdles in 12.64 seconds, fastest in the world this year. She defeated a strong field that included Michelle Perry (second), Perdita Felicien of Canada (third) and Athens bronze medalist Melissa Morrison (seventh after a false start).

Jamaica's Veronica Campbell won the 100 in 10.96, fastest in the world this year, against a field loaded with Olympians. Muna Lee was second in 11.20 and Angela Daigle was third in 11.24. Angela Williams was fifth and former Olympian Inger Miller sixth.

Bershawn Jackson, pegged as the top U.S. prospect in the 400 hurdles, won in 47.62, the fastest time in the world this year.

Bernard Lagat used a strong kick in stretch to win the 1,500 in 3:34.34. He was followed by five Kenyans, his former countrymen. Lagat became an American citizen last month, but can't represent his new country at any IAAF competition for up to three years.

Sanya Richards, a relay gold medalist in Athens, won the 400 in 50 seconds, second-best in the world this year behind her own mark of 49.96. The final included Turquoise Thompson, who at 13 was running against women twice her age. She finished last in 54.51.

In other events, Kenta Bell won the men's triple jump; Dana Buller of Canada won the women's pole vault; Anthony Famiglietti won the 3,000 steeplechase; Erin Aldrich won the women's high jump; Shayne Culpepper defended her 1,500 title; Markos Geneti of Ethiopia won the 3,000; and Tanisha Mills won the 400 hurdles.